habbi

What about a tranny from an ATV Like a 4 wheeler.
They are available in auto and manual and they have reverse.
Or what about a torque converter such as a snowmobile has, some snowmobiles
have reverse as well.

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:05:18 -0400, Artemia Salina
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 03:30:12 +0000, Eric R Snow wrote:

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?

I still see Nash Metropolitans for sale occasionally on ebay, cheap.
Maybe you can find a junker with a good tranny. They had a 50 hp motor
and the car weighed ~1200 lbs.

Maybe you can find an old Albion tranny from a Rodley or something
similar. Seems that Albion is still in business. Only a 3-speed though.

http://www.microcar.org/carspecs/rodley.html

Personally, I'd like to put a big S&S V-twin with straight pipes in
one of these: http://www.cqql.net/bmw.htm

Thanks for the suggestions.
Eric