trevor jones

Eric R Snow wrote:

Tha Norton weighs 385 lbs. A car would weigh about 1200 lbs. I think
that the Norton tranny might fail pulling that much weight. And it's
such a cool tranny.
Eric

Might fail!!!??!! It was pretty much a given that the AMC gearboxes on
Nortons Commando's WOULD fail if your were of the personality to be a
bit heavyhanded on the gas. Two reasons that they were still using them
were the asosciated costs of retooling, and that they mostly survived
longer than the warranty period, after which one was on ones own. There
were also regulatory issues that were able to be bypassed due to
grandfathered design (of the Commando) that would have caused Norton a
lot of greif if they re-engineered the bike with a more suitable tranny.
The AMC box was well respected in bikes in the lower horsepower
ranges, but was out of it's league in a Commando.

I had a 1975 850 for 12 years, and it was my only transport for 3 1/2
of those.

There are Harley D trannies available with reverse. They were used in
the 45ci Servi Car trikes. You would have to fight it out with the HD
nuts for one though, and I think you would still have to fab a case for
the chain or belt to connect the two.

I would suggest either advertising for a replacement bike with a blown
up motor, or advertising the motor to be used by owner of same.

Use the money to buy more tools. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones