User Example

Default Milling machine bits and stuff

My company closed shop and left a milling machine and a bunch of milling
machine bits. The machine was too big too take but I took all of the
bits. I am not a machinist so I don't really know what I have. Is
there a website with pictures of the bit things so I can figure out what
I have. Some aren't bits of some type of bit holders. Odd stuff.
Grant Erwin

My company closed shop and left a milling machine and a bunch of milling
machine bits. The machine was too big too take but I took all of the
bits. I am not a machinist so I don't really know what I have. Is
there a website with pictures of the bit things so I can figure out what
I have. Some aren't bits of some type of bit holders. Odd stuff.

http://www.mscindustrial.com
http://www.use-enco.com
http://www.jlindustrial.com
http://www.travers.com

Those will get ya going on what they sell nowadays. All of those companies will
send you free catalogs if you ask, some on CD if you're short on shelf space.
Anything you can't identify, shoot a digital picture of, and post it to
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox, figure out the actual URL of the picture
(e.g. http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/4x6_4.jpg) and post it (them) here and
someone will be happy to ID your item.

You might step out on the banana peel and use a real name and mention where in
the world you live. The risk is minimal.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Ken Sterling

My company closed shop and left a milling machine and a bunch of milling
machine bits. The machine was too big too take but I took all of the
bits. I am not a machinist so I don't really know what I have. Is
there a website with pictures of the bit things so I can figure out what
I have. Some aren't bits of some type of bit holders. Odd stuff.

You aren't going to be able to use any of that stuff, so you ought to
package them up and send them to me - just to get them out of your
way. Who knows, you might accidently step on some of them and cause
yourself a nasty fall - and I certainly wouldn't want that to happen
to you.
Ken.

User Example

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

Wow, after checking out some prices on these things it looks like I got
several hundred dollars worth of things!
carl mciver

"User Example" wrote in message
. ..
| My company closed shop and left a milling machine and a bunch of milling
| machine bits. The machine was too big too take but I took all of the
| bits. I am not a machinist so I don't really know what I have. Is
| there a website with pictures of the bit things so I can figure out what
| I have. Some aren't bits of some type of bit holders. Odd stuff.

You need to tell us where the milling machine is. _Someone_ among us
will be able to come get it!

Grant Erwin

Wow, after checking out some prices on these things it looks like I got
several hundred dollars worth of things!

No, that's what it would cost you to replace them. To value them, look on ebay
at completed auctions. For example, I had a couple of 5MT lathe centers with
carbide tips, probably cost $85 each. I got the pair, new, for $6 plus shipping
(maybe more, but they were cheap). So if you had 2 of them, would you think you
had $170 sitting there? No. You have about six bucks sitting there. The value of
machine tools took a giant plunge after 9/11, and although they have recovered
somewhat, pricing is still very soft.

I don't care if you sell your stuff for a million bucks, in fact I hope you do.
I am not planning on buying anything from you and I'm not at all trying to
"knock your price down". I love getting a bargain, too.

GWE
PrecisionMachinisT

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

You might step out on the banana peel and use a real name and mention

where in
the world you live. The risk is minimal.

Only risk appears to be that perhaps the local sheriff's deputy might come a
knocking at his door....the op post sounds a lot like a pure and simple
thief to me.......

Hmm...he dint "take" the mill cause it was too heavy......probly several
other things he missed out on. also ...likely cause they was bolted down to
the floor.........

You all can go ahead, and "take" any of it from him, just realize that then
you'll be party to it also.

Sheesh....

--

SVL

User Example

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

You might step out on the banana peel and use a real name and mention

where in

the world you live. The risk is minimal.

Only risk appears to be that perhaps the local sheriff's deputy might come a
knocking at his door....the op post sounds a lot like a pure and simple
thief to me.......

Hmm...he dint "take" the mill cause it was too heavy......probly several
other things he missed out on. also ...likely cause they was bolted down to
the floor.........

You all can go ahead, and "take" any of it from him, just realize that then
you'll be party to it also.

Sheesh....

No reason to accuse me of being a thief. I have an anonymous name
because I get so much junkmail in my inbox these days that I don't care
to give out my email address. Besides, why do you care who I am?

As for the stuff, I didn't steal it. This business was bought by a
company in California. The guys in Cali shut down our office and took
what they wanted. The rest they told us to take home or throw away.
They left the milling machine because they don't need it out there (they
are not a machining company) and it wouldn't be worth the cost of moving
it. I asked about it and was told I could have it but like I said, I
just don't have the room for a huge milling machine in my garage and I
couldn't move it if I wanted to. They left a lot of other goodies that
are still laying in the old space that will eventually go into a dumpster.

As for the bits and stuff, I was not offering to sell them on here so
don't get all worked up about it. I was just wondering what I had and
commented that it was worth a lot in catalog prices.

Sheesh...
Rex

User Example wrote:
My company closed shop and left a milling machine and a bunch of milling
machine bits. The machine was too big too take but I took all of the
bits. I am not a machinist so I don't really know what I have. Is
there a website with pictures of the bit things so I can figure out what
I have. Some aren't bits of some type of bit holders. Odd stuff.

Shoot a group picture and post it to the dropbox

http://metalworking.com/

PrecisionMachinisT

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
[...]

Just that tax code has some fairly specific rules for the disposition of
surplus property.

"I lost it" or "I gave it away" usually dont quite cut it with the IRS......

--

SVL

Bob Engelhardt

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
....the op post sounds a lot like a pure and simple
thief to me.......

I think that it's a *huge* jump to that conclusion. His scenario sounds
totally plausible to me. If somebody gives you something would you
"take" it?

Bob
Steve Smith

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

....the op post sounds a lot like a pure and simple
thief to me.......

I think that it's a *huge* jump to that conclusion. His scenario
sounds totally plausible to me. If somebody gives you something
would you "take" it?

Bob

I agree Bob. It sounded just like a couple of company closing scenes
I've been in. "You guys want this stuff, take it now. The guy with the
dumpster is coming in two hours."

Steve