Denise

Default Newbie at This Stuff

Hello there!

Well, it's finally happened. I broke down and got myself a new tool-box,
along with some cheap tools, among various other things, as I am tired of
asking for help fixing things around the house, and I want to learn how to
do home repairs. My dad will really appreciate me not innundating him with
phone calls with repeated pleas for help (Pardon my droning on here, folks,
but I am so out of the loop when it comes to tools, drills, measurements,
etc...but I'm sure that I'll prove to be endless fodder for entertainment in
the process) ;Þ

My questions, I'm sure, will either make the pro's out there laugh their
butts off, or think...geez, this woman really doesn't have a clue, does she?
But then again, if I want to learn, I have to ask...and I am a babe in the
woods when it comes to this stuff. Hopefully you can bear with me with even
the most inane of questions.

Now here is my initial dilemma: I am in the process of buying new drapes
for my living room windows, and I went out to Canadian Tire and bought
myself an inexpensive drill. When I asked the guy in tools about drill bits
and other things, he looked at me as if I had ten heads, and I want to avoid
further embarrasment. (Needless to say, I didn't ask what other kinds of
tools a female new to home repairs would need) I just wanted to get the
hell outta there.

How do I know what size drill bits to buy, and how much of an assortment
will I need? Not just for the drapes, but just so that I have enough on hand
in case I decide to tackle another project. (I am an apartment dweller, so
of course, I have cement walls to deal with) I'VE NEVER USED A DRILL
BEFORE!!! Can you guys and gals offer a beginner like me any newbie advice?
Also, I'd like to purchase some home repair books (just the basics...nothing
too advanced), and was wondering if anyone out there could recommend some
titles to me? For example, "Drills for Dummies", or "Tools for Dummies", you
know...something along those lines.

Thanks so much in advance for your help, gang...and I look forward to
lurking and learning from you all....

GG

linda

hi GG
here's my advice:

don't buy cheap tools. buy the best you can afford. otherwise you
will
end up getting frustrated and not have fun with your projects. you
can buy
tools as you need them and gradually add to your collection. they
will last
longer and you will enjoy using them.

don't buy tools from stores/salespeople who make you feel intimidated.
there
are plenty of places out there to choose from. lots of people who
will be
willing to help & not make a female feel uncomfortable.

i would suggest a good cordless (rechargeable) drill, makita is a good
brand
and they come in different sizes. pick one that feels comfortable to
you. you say you are an apartment dweller so you may not have alot of
room for a whole lot of tools, but i use a heavy duty plug-in type
drill (milwaukee, though
just about any good brand will do) as well as the cordless. lots of
times it is handy to have 2 drills, one to pre-drill a hole and the
other with a phillips
head bit to screw. you should be able to find pre-selected drill bit
sets
at any home supply store with about a dozen or so bits. this should
serve you
well for most jobs.

--linda

"Denise" wrote in message ...
[...]

Bill

"Denise" wrote in message

...When I asked the guy in tools about drill bits and other
things, he looked at me as if I had ten heads...

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask lots of them until you understand
what you need to do. I have been around people who will take the time to
explain things to me and I appreciate it. Other times someone is rude and
makes me feel like I am an idiot for asking a silly question. When that
happens, I just go elsewhere and find someone else who is willing to be
helpful.

So far as your walls and anchors... I would guess that your walls are
"drywall" and not concrete. It is possible that they are concrete, but not
likely. Try to find out exactly what your inside walls are made of. Ask a
neighbor or your apartment manager. Then come back here and ask a specific
question like "how do I put an anchor in drywall" or "how do I put an
anchor in concrete". There are different methods/tools depending on the
material your wall is made of.

Karen

"Denise" wrote in message ...
When I asked the guy in tools about drill bits
and other things, he looked at me as if I had ten heads, and I want

to avoid
further embarrasment.

Don't assume that he know anything about home repair just because he
works in a tool section. How many guys have the gut to answer a lady
with "I don't know"? His strange facial expression might be his way to
mask his embarrassment because he didn't want to admit to a female
that he didn't know anything.

How do I know what size drill bits to buy, and how much of an

assortment will I need?

Usually it's cheaper to buy a whole set (drill bit and screwdriver set
combo) than buying individually, something like Mastercraft 21-piece
QuickLoad Accessory Kit.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen... 1060176569662

I like the convenience of those quickload bits. They're a little more
expensive than regular ones. Walmart, Home Depot and Sears have
similar set. Since you know Canadian Tire always have 1/2 price sale
on their own tools accessories, you may want to wait for the sale.
Meantime you can get $1 drill set (4~5 drill bits in a plastic box)
and $1 screwdriver set (6~8 bits in a plastic box) at a Dollar Store
to get you start on the drape. If you don't do a lot of work, it may
be all you need. Walmart also have the regular 100 bits set for around
$20.

Good luck.
P©WE®T©©LMAN

"Bill" wrote in message
"Denise" wrote in message

...When I asked the guy in tools about drill bits and other
things, he looked at me as if I had ten heads...

So far as your walls and anchors... I would guess that your walls are
"drywall" and not concrete. It is possible that they are concrete, but not
likely. Try to find out exactly what your inside walls are made of. Ask a
neighbor or your apartment manager. Then come back here and ask a specific
question like "how do I put an anchor in drywall" or "how do I put an
anchor in concrete". There are different methods/tools depending on the
material your wall is made of.

A lot of apartment buildings have concrete dividing walls between the units,
often the other walls are drywall, one really solid apartment building we
lived in had all the main walls in concrete & only the lesser ones finished
in drywall. Needless to say simply hanging a picture anywhere was not simple
at all.

Good luck

Jon~
J.D.Power Tool Canada.

Eric Tonks

Go to Chapters and look up a book that is written by, of all people,
Reader's Digest. They have a couple of books on how to do almost everything
about the house. They are well written and filled with diagrams. In Canada
they are revised to Canadian standards. Get one or all, you will not go
wrong. Also go to Home Depot if you have one in the neighbourhood, they also
have a book that is similar, I haven't looked at it so I am not sure how
comprehensive it is or if it is a Canadian version. This book may also be
available at Chapters/Coles/Smith's books stores. Check them out. These
books will give you a start. You look up what you want to do and follow
directions. It will at least give you some basis of sounding like you know
what you are talking about when you go to buy some tools or supplies, or
when you are talking to your father.

"Denise" wrote in message
[...]

Alana Gibson

Denise wrote:
[...]

Okay, so I am a girl too but here is my cents worth. "don't buy cheap
tools" is very good advise. They won't last very long. Better to buy
what you need now and add things as you go along. While I wouldn't
necessarily recommend Sears for everything, that is usually where I buy
things like wrenches, drill bits, etc. Most items have a lifetime
warranty. They also have a variety of tool storage items, not cheap but
good. I have also found their salesmen to be very helpful, one even
took chain saws down from a wall display to let me feel them in my hand.
On their web page, in the Portable Power Tools section, Buying Guide
they have some very good Faq's, including very basic info about the
tools themselves. Also in my city they have an outlet store where
reconditioned tools are sold. I have purchased paint sprayers and heat
guns for paint stripping there and gotten very good deals and dependable
products. Be sure to check out the size/weight and the feel of the tool
before you buy it. For instance, manual staplers are mostly not sized
for girls hands and can be difficult to operate. Or the larger drill
can feel like lead weights before you're done especially if you are
working above your head.
Other helpful info can be found at your local hardware/lumber yard. I
have taken things in and asked for help selecting a replacement and
gotten the right one, along with some basic instructions for installing
things. The more you know how to do the more they can sell you.
One other thing when shopping for tools and material where you may need
to ask questions, go at a time when the sales people are not very busy,
not a good idea on Mondays when all the tradespeople are getting ready
for the week or on Saturday when all of us DIY'ers are out there
shopping too.

Bob Bowles

Home Depot offers How To clinics that MIGHT get you up on the curve
soon. This is the place to ask IF you can ignore the typical
no-brainers that love to ridicule. When asking try to include details
like diameter of hole in bracket that you're trying to install and
material in which it will go. Remember NO question is stupid just
some "responses".

On 6 Aug 2003 06:13:11 -0700, (linda)
wrote:

Can you guys and gals offer a beginner like me any newbie advice?

Colbyt

"Denise" wrote in message
Hello there!

[...]

The drill and bits (a pre pack kit of 10-20 bits, 1/16 to 3/8") will handle
most home chores.

Hammer, pliers, vise grips (locking pliers), slotted & Phillips
screw-drivers (2 each most popular sizes), an adjustable wrench (some times
called a crescent wrench). If you get to plumbing a set of pipe wrenches.

If you need some help with the drapery install post here again or email me.
That's what I do for a living. I just work on old houses for fun!

Colbyt

3GCPO

"Denise" wrote in message
[...]

just ask "Art's Home Repair"
he claims to know everything about repairs.
I'm sure he could teach you a thing or two or maybe even three.

He must have written a book by now!

stick around
I'm sure he will be by soon.

Stormin Mormon

Well, what comes to mind is to find someone in your life who uses tools, and
ask to work with her (or him) for a while. Sounds like a real adventure for
you.

I watched my Dad fix just about everything while I was growing up, I really
got lucky.

The advice "get as good tools as you can afford" is good. Junky tools don't
work well, and will frustrate you.

Another advice: Everyone makes misteaks. Don't beat yourself up cause you
drill a hole in the wrong place, or too large or too small. Big contractors
make misteaks too. Sometmes they even make spelling airs. (smile he
Mistakes, errors).

Keep working along, and have some fun doing it.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Denise" wrote in message
[...]

Stormin Mormon

Sometimes the other customers at the store are your best resource.

I used to work for Sears back in 1996, and I wasn't all that impressed.
Their stuff can be over priced, and very often the repair parts are sized a
little differently then the rest of the world, and you have to buy Sears
parts for Sears products. I don't like that.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Alana Gibson" wrote in message

I have also found their salesmen to be very helpful, one even
took chain saws down from a wall display to let me feel them in my hand.

Be sure to check out the size/weight and the feel of the tool
before you buy it.

Other helpful info can be found at your local hardware/lumber yard. I
have taken things in and asked for help selecting a replacement and
gotten the right one,

One other thing when shopping for tools and material where you may need
to ask questions, go at a time when the sales people are not very busy,
not a good idea on Mondays when all the tradespeople are getting ready
for the week or on Saturday when all of us DIY'ers are out there
shopping too.

This is a good website to read for starter toolkits:

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/basicTools.htm

and the main page is:
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/index.html

Hope this helps; I think Jim, the guy who built the page, did a great
job.

barry martin

Another thought, Linda....

K i would suggest a good cordless (rechargeable) drill,
K If you only want one dirll, let it be corded.
K The cordless drill is
K 1. more expensive.
K 2. bulkier, heavier.
K 3. less powerful.
K 4. Battery will die in a few years, the replacement will cost more
K than the drill then.
K 5. The battery is not charged when you want to use it.
K 6. The battery will run of juice just 2 drills away from finishing
K your job.

Having 'played' with drills for a few decades I agree with Karen.
While cordless drills are handy a good variable speed plug-in drill
would be the better choice.

In the 2›-worth dep't, I would advise against those "cordless
screwdrivers". Much less power than a cordless drill, plus generally
uncomfortable. Those with straight-line construction are hard on the
wrist; right-angle/pistol grip designs are better (IMO) but still lack
power.

Another thing comes to mind. In a previous message I suggested adrill
bit set. An even better upgrade would be to get one which also has
screwdriver bits, or to get a second set of screwdriver bits. (Also
get the regular hand screwdrivers - drills don't do everything!)
There are other slot configurations besides straight and Phillips
(cross). Hex head have a six-sided outside (instead of rounded) - in
many instances easier to screw in and out, by hand or motorized. Also
Robertson (think it's called that) which has a square indentation
instead of the slot (or cross). Torx is another option but I don't
use those much.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep past noon!
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
jeffc

"Denise" wrote in message

How do I know what size drill bits to buy, and how much of an assortment
will I need? Not just for the drapes, but just so that I have enough on

hand
in case I decide to tackle another project. (I am an apartment dweller, so
of course, I have cement walls to deal with) I'VE NEVER USED A DRILL
BEFORE!!! Can you guys and gals offer a beginner like me any newbie

advice?
Also, I'd like to purchase some home repair books (just the

basics...nothing
too advanced), and was wondering if anyone out there could recommend some
titles to me? For example, "Drills for Dummies", or "Tools for Dummies",

you
know...something along those lines.

Get a moderately priced cordless drill. Virtually everyone has these
nowadays and they can come in very handy as an electric screwdriver too (it
should come with a couple screwdriver bits - if not, buy a couple.) Buy a
small drill bit kit - one with about a dozen drill bits in it. Most things
that you install yourself will tell you which size drill bit to use. So,
make sure you get a kit where the sizes are clearly marked (e.g. 1/4").
Cement usually takes a special drill bit, so you might want to pick up a few
of those too.

jeffc

"Bill" wrote in message

So far as your walls and anchors... I would guess that your walls are
"drywall" and not concrete. It is possible that they are concrete, but not
likely. Try to find out exactly what your inside walls are made of.

Many apartments have at least some cinderblock walls, but agreed - she
should ask.

SellMeSomethingBigAndUntamed

"Denise" wrote in message
[...]

Over the years I've found having many different tools is the key to getting
things done. You never know what problems you might run into. Quality is
nice, but quantity counts more in my opinion. Get as many different cheap
tools as you can find over time. I'm talking as a do-it-yourselfer here, not
as a pro. Pro tools are a whole different game.

Cheap drill bits will cut through concrete generally. So, you might burn one
from time to time. If you're not a pro, who cares. You don't need something
to last through hundreds of jobs. You just need to hang a few pictures.

A corded drill is a good idea too. If you buy a cordless you'll likely lose
the batteries before you've used it much. Buy a corded one and you can use
it occasionally for a lifetime.

SellMeSomethingBigAndUntamed

"Stephen Kurzban" wrote in message

GG,

You got lots of advice to spend as much as you could spare
for the best tools you could afford. I have to disagree!
Until you are sure the work you will be trying to tackle is
worth doing for you, and not either too hard to learn, too
expensive when you make "little" mistakes (EVERYONE does!),
or just plain something you don't feel suited for, cheaper
tools will be ... uh, well ... cheaper.

I agree generally. One exception I would make is for screwdrivers. You need
metal that will hold up when you bear down, and the 10 fo $1. ones just fall
apart with ordinary use. But most other tools don't usually give up much
quality for price. It is nice to have things like a large, heavy pipe
wrench. But they can be picked up at auctions or garage sales. Many items,
like a torque wrench, can cost $4. or $40. Buy the $4. one if, like me, you
need it maybe once every 5 years. But if you use it alot or the exact
pressure is critical, buy the good one.

It's all about trade-offs. But most cheap tools today get the job done.
Where they tend to fail is in heavy use and precision.

SellMeSomethingBigAndUntamed

"barry martin" wrote in message
news:1636857350.2102.4635055.1656031961.RIMEGateQW ...

[...]

I agree, but would add that corded drills can be quite powerful and,
consequently, dangerous. A cordless screwdriver can be had for $6. and gets
the job done without excessive power and torque. I'd hate to use my corded
drill to drive screws - it'd likely slice my finger instantly. A $6. ryobi
cordless from Home Depot and a set of bits for $1. from the dollar store
works wonders and is very convenient.

jeffc

"John W. Wells" wrote in message

Disagree. For most small jobs in an apartment, cordless is more

convenient.

"Convenient" in WHAT way?! I'd say that if she owns 5+ acres that
cordless might be the way to go for a first purchase.

Buy a 50' extension cord and use corded tools ANYwhere in a
building--Karen (cherubhollyhock?! Love yer nym, sweety) is right on
with her 6 points.

You can't imagine in what way it's convenient? Go with cordless.

montana

In article ,
"Denise" wrote:

I am in the process of buying new drapes
for my living room windows, and I went out to Canadian Tire and bought
myself an inexpensive drill. When I asked the guy in tools about drill bits
and other things, he looked at me as if I had ten heads, and I want to avoid
further embarrasment. (Needless to say, I didn't ask what other kinds of
tools a female new to home repairs would need)

Forget about being embarassed! I'm new to this stuff too, but I noticed
that no-one suggested that you buy a level so when you hang the drape
hardware, your drapes will be straight. This is very important!

I drive everyone insane with my insistance on girlifying stuff up. I
found a swell plastic case filled with a collection of drill & screw
bits which I refer to as Malibu Barbie's dream drill accessory kit. I
actually prefer a corded drill because I have small, arthritic hands and
the cordless drills are too heavy & hurt. Buying several good power tool
rated extension cords has been great. We have a couple of drills and we
have bought a couple from Sears that are reconditioned and work really
well.

Don't worry when people look at you like you have three heads. That
Reader's Digest home repair book that someone else mentioned is
wonderful and has pictures. I am very methodical in my approach to
things and I think about what i want to do very carefully & make
drawings, etc. It doesn't mean I won't go to the hardware store twenty
times.

I now have a variety of home repair skills. Yesterday, I replaced a
faucet on a bathroom sink that a plumber tried to scare me out of
trying. He was a bad plumber who wanted to take advantage of me (wanted
me to buy the faucet from him & said that basically, we'd have to buy a
new sink). Unlike my much handier husband, I find that slow & steady
makes for a good job. Lay everything out in order, read the directions &
understand that you can call in a pro if you mess up too badly. But you
probably will do a great job!
Bob Bowles

Be sure your extension cords are husky enough. Too small and they
lose voltage then there's a risk of burning up the motor. I'm buying
only #14 extensions.

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:48:30 -0400, montana
wrote:

I actually prefer a corded drill because I have small, arthritic hands and
the cordless drills are too heavy & hurt

John W. Wells

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:48:30 -0400, montana
wrote:

In article ,
"Denise" wrote:

I am in the process of buying new drapes
for my living room windows, and I went out to Canadian Tire and bought
myself an inexpensive drill. When I asked the guy in tools about drill bits
and other things, he looked at me as if I had ten heads, and I want to avoid
further embarrasment. (Needless to say, I didn't ask what other kinds of
tools a female new to home repairs would need)

Forget about being embarassed! I'm new to this stuff too, but I noticed
that no-one suggested that you buy a level so when you hang the drape
hardware, your drapes will be straight. This is very important!

Yes, but! I installed a 4' length of wood doweling on an elderly
relative's wall for displaying a quilt--used a level as you suggest.
It looked AWful. Reason? Because the ceiling in that room was not
level (it was a low ceiling and sloped slightly for drainage of the
roof above).

Had to remount the dowel so that it "looked right," even though it was
far from level!

For reasons like this it's often better to just "eyeball" levelness!
Hanging pictures, for instance.

I drive everyone insane with my insistance on girlifying stuff up. I
found a swell plastic case filled with a collection of drill & screw
bits which I refer to as Malibu Barbie's dream drill accessory kit.

As long as you're girlifying YOUR bathroom and not mine, go right
ahead, kiddo! :-)

I actually prefer a corded drill because I have small, arthritic hands and
the cordless drills are too heavy & hurt. Buying several good power tool
rated extension cords has been great. We have a couple of drills and we
have bought a couple from Sears that are reconditioned and work really
well.

Don't worry when people look at you like you have three heads. That
Reader's Digest home repair book that someone else mentioned is
wonderful and has pictures. I am very methodical in my approach to
things and I think about what i want to do very carefully & make
drawings, etc. It doesn't mean I won't go to the hardware store twenty
times.

Ha! Me too. I make drawing after drawing of what I want to build or
modify. And if my sketch doesn't feel just right, I set it aside and
don't even try to come back to it for several hours. And after a bit,
lo and behold, new ideas come!

I now have a variety of home repair skills. Yesterday, I replaced a
faucet on a bathroom sink that a plumber tried to scare me out of
trying. He was a bad plumber who wanted to take advantage of me (wanted
me to buy the faucet from him & said that basically, we'd have to buy a
new sink). Unlike my much handier husband, I find that slow & steady
makes for a good job. Lay everything out in order, read the directions &
understand that you can call in a pro if you mess up too badly. But you
probably will do a great job!

Lots of good advice! Atta Grrl, Montana! [But where was "handier"
hubby when that plumber was trying to (ahem) 'take advantage' of
you?!]

--John W. Wells
montana

In article ,
John W. Wells wrote:

As long as you're girlifying YOUR bathroom and not mine, go right
ahead, kiddo! :-)

No, the "girlifying" part comes from calling the plastic box of bits
"Malibu Barbie's dream drill accessory kit". I did put some nail polish
on my chainsaw because it was too blah looking...

snip

Lots of good advice! Atta Grrl, Montana! [But where was "handier"
hubby when that plumber was trying to (ahem) 'take advantage' of
you?!]

He sat right next to me and listened to what the guy said. He didn't
want that guy to work in our house and didn't like the scare tactics. DH
has a good amount of bad plumbing experiences behind him and is not
interested in any plumbing projects. That's fine with me; he has many
skills that I don't have (yet). I have replaced all the guts of a
toilet, replumbed the kitchen sink & installed a new disposer and now
there's the new faucet (and I had to replace the shut-off valves, too...)

DH went on at length about how much the plumber bothered him, gave me
heaps of praise, made some bragging calls to his friends & made Eggplant
Parmesana for dinner.

Between this newsgroup & HGTV, I have had a great education!
montana

In article ,
John W. Wells wrote:

Had to remount the dowel so that it "looked right," even though it was
far from level!

For reasons like this it's often better to just "eyeball" levelness!
Hanging pictures, for instance.

Oops; forgot to respond to this. Yes, most homes are not level (walls
are not square or flat) and things do have to be eyeballed, but I like
to see where level is, first. If nothing else, I want to make sure that
the parts of the hardware are level with each other, if not "level"
level.

montana

wrote:

I actually prefer a corded drill because I have small, arthritic hands and
the cordless drills are too heavy & hurt

Yup; this is *very* important.
montana

In article ,
Stephen Kurzban wrote:

snip

Levels can be expensive and GG is just getting her feet wet
and trying to decide if it's worth it.

Eyeballing most things works well enough, and a short length
of plastic tubing with some water in it might run a buck or
two and works around corners too ...

I often use a line level for the small stuff. Very inexpensive.
Rich Grise

If any of those droids gives you any crap, give him a withering
look that says, "Don't give me any ****, numbnuts. Remember I can
cut off your penis in your sleep."

Go to any public library, and ask the librarian, "Tools?" ;Þ
(love the little SEG ^ Thanks!)

Have Fun!
Rich

Hello there!