John Greenwood

Default Strange sink squidy stuff

Hi,

I have just bought a new sink and it comes with strips of putty like squidgy
stuff. No instructions with sink though. I assume the squidgy stuff is for
sealing the sink to the worktop. So what is the best way of doing this?

Thanks,

John

Simon Avery

"John Greenwood" wrote:

Hello John

JG| I have just bought a new sink and it comes with strips of
JG| putty like squidgy stuff. No instructions with sink though.
JG| I assume the squidgy stuff is for sealing the sink to the
JG| worktop. So what is the best way of doing this?

Lay the sink and draw round with pencil. Remove.

Lay squidgy so that it overlaps the marks.

Refit sink and clamp into position.

Trim *lightly* around sink with a stanley knife to remove excess
squidgy. (After fitting taps/waste, in case you shift it by being
heavy fisted)

Squidgy's held in place between sink and worktop and makes a very
effective seal. Important to clamp the sink tight, or too much squidgy
shows and it gets dirty and looks 'orrible.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Owain

"Simon Avery" wrote
| I think the Squidgy is pretty much a trade "quick fix". Not as good as
| silicone, but they don't have to hang around for it to dry. (Ok, it
| can also be smoothed when wet, but looks a bit odd for some counters
| if you do that.) The squidgy for hobs might have some additional fire
| retardant properties that go beyond silicone? I don't know.

Someone really should use this as a trade name -

Squidgy for Hobs
Squidgy for Baths and Basins
Squidgy for Sinks
Squidgy for Gutters and Flashing
Squidgy for Gasfitting ... err, maybe not!

Owain

Ian Clowes

Simon Avery wrote:

That works too.

Great! Another fine job that counts as finished!

TC
IanC

Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 05:16 AM
Stainless steel sink - cleaning Ed UK diy 18 September 4th 03 12:07 PM
sink waste vandelay UK diy 9 August 18th 03 06:35 PM
Black pads underneath s/s sink? Bob Eager UK diy 3 August 8th 03 01:41 AM
damage to bath and sink nomit UK diy 7 August 6th 03 02:48 PM