Stormin Mormon

Default Newbie at This Stuff

Well, what comes to mind is to find someone in your life who uses tools, and
ask to work with her (or him) for a while. Sounds like a real adventure for
you.

I watched my Dad fix just about everything while I was growing up, I really
got lucky.

The advice "get as good tools as you can afford" is good. Junky tools don't
work well, and will frustrate you.

Another advice: Everyone makes misteaks. Don't beat yourself up cause you
drill a hole in the wrong place, or too large or too small. Big contractors
make misteaks too. Sometmes they even make spelling airs. (smile he
Mistakes, errors).

Keep working along, and have some fun doing it.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Denise" wrote in message
Hello there!

Well, it's finally happened. I broke down and got myself a new tool-box,
along with some cheap tools, among various other things, as I am tired of
asking for help fixing things around the house, and I want to learn how to
do home repairs. My dad will really appreciate me not innundating him with
phone calls with repeated pleas for help (Pardon my droning on here, folks,
but I am so out of the loop when it comes to tools, drills, measurements,
etc...but I'm sure that I'll prove to be endless fodder for entertainment in
the process) ;Þ

My questions, I'm sure, will either make the pro's out there laugh their
butts off, or think...geez, this woman really doesn't have a clue, does she?
But then again, if I want to learn, I have to ask...and I am a babe in the
woods when it comes to this stuff. Hopefully you can bear with me with even
the most inane of questions.

Now here is my initial dilemma: I am in the process of buying new drapes
for my living room windows, and I went out to Canadian Tire and bought
myself an inexpensive drill. When I asked the guy in tools about drill bits
and other things, he looked at me as if I had ten heads, and I want to avoid
further embarrasment. (Needless to say, I didn't ask what other kinds of
tools a female new to home repairs would need) I just wanted to get the
hell outta there.

How do I know what size drill bits to buy, and how much of an assortment
will I need? Not just for the drapes, but just so that I have enough on hand
in case I decide to tackle another project. (I am an apartment dweller, so
of course, I have cement walls to deal with) I'VE NEVER USED A DRILL
BEFORE!!! Can you guys and gals offer a beginner like me any newbie advice?
Also, I'd like to purchase some home repair books (just the basics...nothing
too advanced), and was wondering if anyone out there could recommend some
titles to me? For example, "Drills for Dummies", or "Tools for Dummies", you
know...something along those lines.

Thanks so much in advance for your help, gang...and I look forward to
lurking and learning from you all....

GG