Alana Gibson

Default Newbie at This Stuff

Denise wrote:
Hello there!

Well, it's finally happened. I broke down and got myself a new tool-box,
along with some cheap tools, among various other things, as I am tired of
asking for help fixing things around the house, and I want to learn how to
do home repairs. My dad will really appreciate me not innundating him with
phone calls with repeated pleas for help (Pardon my droning on here, folks,
but I am so out of the loop when it comes to tools, drills, measurements,
etc...but I'm sure that I'll prove to be endless fodder for entertainment in
the process) ;Þ

My questions, I'm sure, will either make the pro's out there laugh their
butts off, or think...geez, this woman really doesn't have a clue, does she?
But then again, if I want to learn, I have to ask...and I am a babe in the
woods when it comes to this stuff. Hopefully you can bear with me with even
the most inane of questions.

Now here is my initial dilemma: I am in the process of buying new drapes
for my living room windows, and I went out to Canadian Tire and bought
myself an inexpensive drill. When I asked the guy in tools about drill bits
and other things, he looked at me as if I had ten heads, and I want to avoid
further embarrasment. (Needless to say, I didn't ask what other kinds of
tools a female new to home repairs would need) I just wanted to get the
hell outta there.

How do I know what size drill bits to buy, and how much of an assortment
will I need? Not just for the drapes, but just so that I have enough on hand
in case I decide to tackle another project. (I am an apartment dweller, so
of course, I have cement walls to deal with) I'VE NEVER USED A DRILL
BEFORE!!! Can you guys and gals offer a beginner like me any newbie advice?
Also, I'd like to purchase some home repair books (just the basics...nothing
too advanced), and was wondering if anyone out there could recommend some
titles to me? For example, "Drills for Dummies", or "Tools for Dummies", you
know...something along those lines.

Thanks so much in advance for your help, gang...and I look forward to
lurking and learning from you all....

GG

Okay, so I am a girl too but here is my cents worth. "don't buy cheap
tools" is very good advise. They won't last very long. Better to buy
what you need now and add things as you go along. While I wouldn't
necessarily recommend Sears for everything, that is usually where I buy
things like wrenches, drill bits, etc. Most items have a lifetime
warranty. They also have a variety of tool storage items, not cheap but
good. I have also found their salesmen to be very helpful, one even
took chain saws down from a wall display to let me feel them in my hand.
On their web page, in the Portable Power Tools section, Buying Guide
they have some very good Faq's, including very basic info about the
tools themselves. Also in my city they have an outlet store where
reconditioned tools are sold. I have purchased paint sprayers and heat
guns for paint stripping there and gotten very good deals and dependable
products. Be sure to check out the size/weight and the feel of the tool
before you buy it. For instance, manual staplers are mostly not sized
for girls hands and can be difficult to operate. Or the larger drill
can feel like lead weights before you're done especially if you are
working above your head.
Other helpful info can be found at your local hardware/lumber yard. I
have taken things in and asked for help selecting a replacement and
gotten the right one, along with some basic instructions for installing
things. The more you know how to do the more they can sell you.
One other thing when shopping for tools and material where you may need
to ask questions, go at a time when the sales people are not very busy,
not a good idea on Mondays when all the tradespeople are getting ready
for the week or on Saturday when all of us DIY'ers are out there
shopping too.