jim rozen

Default OT - Blue & Red

In article , Gunner says...

We'll take Wal-Mart ...

Sounds good to me. You also have to take
Intelligent Design along with that.

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article R41ze.142208$nG6.104427@attbi_s22, ___________ says...

Turn your jealous anger into terrorist-killin' resolve: Enlist in the Army.
Bush needs more cannon fodder.

But NOT, repeat, NOT if you are George Pataki's son, who actually
did ROTC training in the US Marines. If your are the gov's
son then you have your dad (who's a big-time supporter of the
dweeb's war) pull to get you a deferment so you can go to law
school.

Jim

please reply to:
Rex B

I am sure the RED counties in your state will have a lot to say about
that!!! Those of you that like to re-hash this seem to forget that a
better show of your blueness is a breakdown by county!
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/213/2068/640/county.jpg

Move along now!

It's all just red and blue to alotta people, and I know you red county types
that would be bankrupt without federal assistance love your little map, but
it's really more like:

http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2004/

Sheesh. Liberal spin, trying to blur election results. We don't elect
purple candidates. We elect winners, and the losers seek alternate
employment. That's a black/white concept foreign to liberals. Those
counties are red or blue, because either a Rep or a Dem won. They did
not form a Purple Coalition.

And by the way, when Nuevo Laredo is attacked by whatever bad guys
perceive your weakness, don't call us to save your asses.
Rex B

Sign me up
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Emmo wrote:
Of course, once a secession movement starts, I believe the Republic of Texas
will choose to secede from both the blues _and_ the reds, and once again
take our rightful place as a sovereign nation, bigger than France...

I think it is remarkable that the Dallas/Ft Worth airport is larger than the
island of Manhattan...

Texas is _already_ like a whole other country...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Go right ahead and secede. Just realize that there won't be any more
federal taxpayer aid coming to subsidize your idiocy of building - and
rebuilding - on earthquake faults, in brushfire zones, and on mudslide
areas. Just realize that there just won't be any more fuel and power
going your way from Red Nation at artificially-low Washington-set
prices that rip us off to make the airconditioning that makes Los
Angeles even liveable affordable. Expect your power and natural gas
bills to quadruple.

Browse this gun show for FREE! Shop the
http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:07:22 -0500, the opaque Rex B
clearly wrote:

someone said:
It's all just red and blue to alotta people, and I know you red county types
that would be bankrupt without federal assistance love your little map, but
it's really more like:

http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2004/

Sheesh. Liberal spin, trying to blur election results. We don't elect
purple candidates. We elect winners, and the losers seek alternate
employment. That's a black/white concept foreign to liberals. Those
counties are red or blue, because either a Rep or a Dem won. They did
not form a Purple Coalition.

That map is an honest representation of voters in the USA, Rex.
I'll guarantee that you can't tell me that your entire city or county
voted Rep across the board. Although elections are win/lose, actual
voting is by percentage. That map shows the blend and is valid.

I still think we should boycott both Reps and Dems.

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Damned shame that once we stop paying for your mandates and
entitlements,

Like the how-many-billion dollar war in Iraq?
I think that's probably the biggest unfunded
mandate that ever existed. Oh well, at least
it eliminated terrorism in London, right?

Jim

please reply to:
Gio Medici

"Emmo" wrote:

Of course, once a secession movement starts, I believe the Republic of Texas
will choose to secede from both the blues _and_ the reds, and once again
take our rightful place as a sovereign nation, bigger than France...

I think it is remarkable that the Dallas/Ft Worth airport is larger than the
island of Manhattan...

Texas is _already_ like a whole other country...

Good idea. Remove the only inhibition keeping decent folk from
declaring war on you *******s. Lot's of folks would rather not see a
Texas Truck license plate ever again. And NM gets west of the Pecos,
El Paso gets burned to the ground.

Texas.... ptooie!

Gio
Larry Jaques

On 7 Jul 2005 10:07:29 -0700, the opaque jim rozen
clearly wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Damned shame that once we stop paying for your mandates and
entitlements,

Like the how-many-billion dollar war in Iraq?
I think that's probably the biggest unfunded
mandate that ever existed. Oh well, at least
it eliminated terrorism in London, right?

Iraq, too, huh?

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Dave Hinz

On 7 Jul 2005 10:07:29 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner says...

Damned shame that once we stop paying for your mandates and
entitlements,

Like the how-many-billion dollar war in Iraq?
I think that's probably the biggest unfunded
mandate that ever existed. Oh well, at least
it eliminated terrorism in London, right?

That's beneath even you, Jim.

jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

... at least
it eliminated terrorism in London, right?

That's beneath even you, Jim.

You miss the point - the present administration's
war in iraq does *nothing* to prevent that sort
of thing.

Nothing.

Whatsoever.

At.

All.

And it costs the country billions of dollars while
failing utterly. It's a classic. You have Karl
Rove whining about how liberals
are so awful, and committing treason in the
very next (or was it previous) breath.

Let's all go and find some nail clippers in the
carryon baggage and then pat ourselves on the
back that we've eliminated terrorism.

Jim

please reply to:

The Wall Street Journal recently had an article on how the airport
security is not uniform. Some airports have much higher rates of
seized items.

A sideline article was on things being sold on various sites. Ebay was
just one of the sites. It suggested you could find items seized and
being auctioned on ebay by searching on NTSA. I did that and found
much of what you might expect. However I was surprised to find two
lots of money clips being autioned as seized items. I think that
pencils are more dangerous.

Dan

jim rozen wrote:

Let's all go and find some nail clippers in the
carryon baggage and then pat ourselves on the
back that we've eliminated terrorism.

Jim

please reply to:

Emmo

This weekend those f*cking TSA fools took my tiny little cuticle scissors,
but let my sister keep her #15 foot long knitting needles...

Our government at work... So stupid it makes me ill...

oups.com...

jim rozen wrote:

Let's all go and find some nail clippers in the
carryon baggage and then pat ourselves on the
back that we've eliminated terrorism.

Jim

please reply to:

David R. Birch

Cliff wrote:

[
Dear Red States:

We're ticked off at the way you've treated California, and we've
decided we're leaving.
We intend to form our own country, and we're taking the other Blue
States with us.

Good luck with that!

BTW, you're not going to be asking for help when you're invaded by some
rinkydink country that realizes you have lots of riches and no will to defend
them, are you? You could always ask the UN for help, look what that has done for
Africa, etc.

Oops, how forgetful of me, I'm replying to a poorly written piece of software,
which means the response to this will refer to wingers and/or neocons, of which
I am neither, by your own definitions.

David
Gunner

wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Damned shame that once we stop paying for your mandates and
entitlements,

Like the how-many-billion dollar war in Iraq?
I think that's probably the biggest unfunded
mandate that ever existed. Oh well, at least
it eliminated terrorism in London, right?

Jim

Nice segway Jim. Once again you avoid the hard questions.

Now Jim..was it Bush or the Jews that are responsible for the London
bombing?

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Gunner

On 7 Jul 2005 15:36:19 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Dave Hinz says...

... at least
it eliminated terrorism in London, right?

That's beneath even you, Jim.

You miss the point - the present administration's
war in iraq does *nothing* to prevent that sort
of thing.

Nothing.

Whatsoever.

At.

All.

Havent flown or traveled by train or bus recently, have you?

Btw..what do you think is the proper way to prevent this sort of
thing?

Be specific and use as many bytes as necessary. Ill be taking notes.
And it costs the country billions of dollars while
failing utterly. It's a classic. You have Karl
Rove whining about how liberals
are so awful, and committing treason in the
very next (or was it previous) breath.

Not true. And speaking of treason...how are you Anti-Bush and anti-war
types doing about the terrorists?

Let's all go and find some nail clippers in the
carryon baggage and then pat ourselves on the
back that we've eliminated terrorism.

Only the touchy feely Leftists would consider there to be anything
resembling "safety" in any place outside of a police state.

Gunner

Jim

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Gunner

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:35:29 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

This weekend those f*cking TSA fools took my tiny little cuticle scissors,
but let my sister keep her #15 foot long knitting needles...

Our government at work... So stupid it makes me ill...

So do like the rest of us do..drive or take the bus/train.

Btw..Ill ask you also..what are the best steps to prevent terrorism
and bombings?

Gunner

roups.com...

jim rozen wrote:

Let's all go and find some nail clippers in the
carryon baggage and then pat ourselves on the
back that we've eliminated terrorism.

Jim

please reply to:

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:50:44 GMT, the opaque Gunner
clearly wrote:

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:35:29 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

This weekend those f*cking TSA fools took my tiny little cuticle scissors,
but let my sister keep her #15 foot long knitting needles...

Our government at work... So stupid it makes me ill...

So do like the rest of us do..drive or take the bus/train.

Btw..Ill ask you also..what are the best steps to prevent terrorism
and bombings?

Be alert. FACT: There is no way to stop a terrorist (Int'l or
domestic, as the DC sniper proved) other than blind luck and some
watchfulness. Hence, most terrorists aren't/won't be caught. It's like
trying to control nature's chaos: Ain't gonna happen and we're damned
fools to even try. (If it were bucks out of Shrub's pocket, he'd show
you how important it was to him by immediately cancelling all of it.)

Anti-terrorist Orgs seem to be about as effective as the War on Drugs.
What do they catch, 5% or so? At a cost of billions. Brilliant.
If condoms had as many holes, we be waist deep in babies. sigh

Here's how I'm staying more alert nowadays:
http://diversify.com/20yeartoken/

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Not true. And speaking of treason...how are you Anti-Bush and anti-war
types doing about the terrorists?

We're responding to the present administration's demand for
more money for their unfunded mandate to conduct a useless
war that nobody wants and apparently produces no meaningful
results.

Gunner, reality check time here.

How long did it take to win the war against japan which
started at Pearl Harbor?

How long has it been since Bin Laden blew up the WTC?

Think about it. Our country mobilized after the depression,
organized and defeated japan in LESS time than it took our
present government to do what? NOT FIND one guy who blew
up our country.

That's pathetic.

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On 7 Jul 2005 15:36:19 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz says...

... at least
it eliminated terrorism in London, right?

That's beneath even you, Jim.

You miss the point - the present administration's
war in iraq does *nothing* to prevent that sort
of thing.

And that's the only action that the present administration is taking,
Jim?

Nothing.

Whatsoever.

At.

All.

Your enter, shift, and caps keys seem to be stuck or something.

And it costs the country billions of dollars while
failing utterly. It's a classic. You have Karl
Rove whining about how liberals
are so awful,

You know, it's funny. I _still_ wouldn't know that there is something
called Karl Rove, if not for people like you who go on and on and on
about him.

Let's all go and find some nail clippers in the
carryon baggage and then pat ourselves on the
back that we've eliminated terrorism.

You really expect the administration to announce all of their efforts to
you, Jim? News flash: terrorists get CNN, too.

Dave Hinz

On 8 Jul 2005 07:30:29 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner says...

Not true. And speaking of treason...how are you Anti-Bush and anti-war
types doing about the terrorists?

We're responding to the present administration's demand for
more money for their unfunded mandate to conduct a useless
war that nobody wants and apparently produces no meaningful
results.

That'd be the "war that nobody wants" that congress approved, you mean?

How long has it been since Bin Laden blew up the WTC?

I assume that's a rhetorical question?

Think about it. Our country mobilized after the depression,
organized and defeated japan in LESS time than it took our
present government to do what? NOT FIND one guy who blew
up our country.

Um. Jim. It was pretty easy to find the Japanese military, they were
spread out over a pretty big area after all, and they announced their
presence by doing things like, you know, shooting and stuff.

That's pathetic.

What's more pathetic is that you think that one person makes all of an
organization. We're not even sure if this event is related to OBL
and/or AQ, unless something came out overnight that I haven't seen. In
any case, by putting pressure on the guy (if he's not a dried smudge in
a cave somewhere by now), he's on the move, on the run, and less
effective than if he was sitting in a friendly Afghanistan with the
taliban still in power.

Funny - if that soldier had just dropped a grenade in SH's spider hole,
we never would have captured him alive either; we'd think he was still
out there or maybe dead. And funny how not catching SH went from a
"major failure" before he was found, to "the wrong target" once he was
found.

Rex B

jim rozen wrote:
... at least
it eliminated terrorism in London, right?

You miss the point - the present administration's
war in iraq does *nothing* to prevent that sort
of thing.

I think there is real value in pulling aspiring terrorists into Irag
where we have people trained to deal with them. I would rather soldiers
fought them there, than have civilians attacked here.
Sure, we can't isolate them to Iraq, but it seems to be keeping
thousands of them pretty busy. At least until a bullet finds them.

Considering how badly the AQ would like to follow up on 9/11, and
haven't, I'd say someone is doing something right. One of the talking
heads last night, a Brit, commented that the reason Britain is more
vulnerable than the US is that they do not have tools like the Patriot
Act to help them find these people before they act.
B.B.

wrote:

In article , Dave Hinz says...

... at least
it eliminated terrorism in London, right?

That's beneath even you, Jim.

You miss the point - the present administration's
war in iraq does *nothing* to prevent that sort
of thing.

Nothing.

Whatsoever.

At.

All.

Havent flown or traveled by train or bus recently, have you?

Not through Iraq.

Btw..what do you think is the proper way to prevent this sort of
thing?

Diplomacy. We're nice to the Canadians, so they don't try to hurt us.
Call it a wild idea, but I think if we'd stop blowing up people in
the Middle East, stop ****ing with their governments, and stop
threatening them with all kinds of trade sanctions the population at
large would be far less likely to attack us and far more likely to help
us find any actual terrorists that may stick around.

Be specific and use as many bytes as necessary. Ill be taking notes.
And it costs the country billions of dollars while
failing utterly. It's a classic. You have Karl
Rove whining about how liberals
are so awful, and committing treason in the
very next (or was it previous) breath.

Not true. And speaking of treason...how are you Anti-Bush and anti-war
types doing about the terrorists?

Nothing--we can't. The republican nutjobs have pretty much total
control of the US and therefore are the source of all the current
massive ****ups unfolding all of the US and Iraq. Congrats.

Let's all go and find some nail clippers in the
carryon baggage and then pat ourselves on the
back that we've eliminated terrorism.

Only the touchy feely Leftists would consider there to be anything
resembling "safety" in any place outside of a police state.

Get used to the idea that people are going to get killed--has
happened ever since the beginning of history, and probably since far
before that. Traditionally, the easiest way to keep yourself from
getting killed is to just make friends with everyone around you. Easy
and cheap and comes with a lot of fringe benefits.
OTOH, beating down everyone who might become a threat has never
worked for long. Eventually people get tired of it and fight back.
Even those who don't want to fight against you also won't want to help.
Terrorism breeds pretty quickly in that sort of environment. In the
end, people get killed anyway, the only difference is that their lives
sucked before they died in a police state.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 13:40:44 -0500, B.B. u wrote:

Diplomacy. We're nice to the Canadians, so they don't try to hurt us.

There's also a bit of a military imbalance between the US and Canada
which might enter into it if they decided to be a problem, isn't there?

Call it a wild idea, but I think if we'd stop blowing up people in
the Middle East, stop ****ing with their governments, and stop
threatening them with all kinds of trade sanctions the population at
large would be far less likely to attack us and far more likely to help
us find any actual terrorists that may stick around.

That's a _great_ idea. No, really. Let's all just give the terrorists
a big hug, and maybe they'll be nice to us. Yeah, that's it.

Or maybe, they'd see it as an act of cowardice and weakness, just like
they saw all of Clinton's useless responses to the increasing level of
terrorist actions during his tenure. Had he responded strongly, they
wouldn't have escalated.

Not true. And speaking of treason...how are you Anti-Bush and anti-war
types doing about the terrorists?

Nothing--we can't.

Really? Nothing at all?

The republican nutjobs have pretty much total
control of the US and therefore are the source of all the current
massive ****ups unfolding all of the US and Iraq. Congrats.

Tell me again how that congressional vote worked, please, you know, the
one to take action in Iraq? I seem to recall that a few people on
the blue side of the aisle voted for it too... and do you need to see
the quotes again?

Only the touchy feely Leftists would consider there to be anything
resembling "safety" in any place outside of a police state.

Get used to the idea that people are going to get killed--has
happened ever since the beginning of history, and probably since far
before that. Traditionally, the easiest way to keep yourself from
getting killed is to just make friends with everyone around you.

Or, to have a bigger stick than the gorilla who is trying to steal your
stuff or kill you.

Easy
and cheap and comes with a lot of fringe benefits.

Yeah, except it's naiive to think that if we're just friendly that
they'll stop attacking us. Dangerously naiive.

OTOH, beating down everyone who might become a threat has never
worked for long. Eventually people get tired of it and fight back.

And yet, when we do that to the terrorists, you want us to stop so we
can have a group-hug.

Even those who don't want to fight against you also won't want to help.
Terrorism breeds pretty quickly in that sort of environment. In the
end, people get killed anyway, the only difference is that their lives
sucked before they died in a police state.

And who do you feel lives in a police state, exactly?

Gunner

clearly wrote:

[...]

Pretty much the case. But if he did nothing, the Leftists would be
screaming and moaning...hummmm he has done much...and the Leftists are
still screaming and moaning.

They cannot seem to get it through their little pointed heads that
nothing will deter a determined attacker. Except killing the attacker
before he gets on your trail.

An ardent Leftie I know some years ago took this tack. He claimed he
could remain safe from me..so after a sporting bet, the game was on.

Fixing a rifle scope to a 35 mm camera..I stalked him at odd times for
3 weeks, taking pictures of the cross hairs superimposed on his skull.

About a whole roll of 36 of them. At no time did he know I was there.
(The dude had at the time, the survival instincts of a lemming btw).
The crowning photo was through his car window as his girlfriend was
ah....servicing him in the middle of a parking lot.

Head back, mouth open, eyes scrunched in orgasm..with the cross hairs
in the middle of his forehead.

I also took to dropping little notes where he could find them. Open
the car..and the note BOOM! would be sitting on his front seat. Open
the mailbox..and he would find BOOM!

I paid the Pizza kid $5 to put one on the top of his pizza so he would
find it when he opened it. Put one taped to the lid of his toilet so
when he lifted the lid...there it was. Dick in one hand...and blown
to pieces so to speak.

He finally came to the realization NO ONE is safe from a determined
attacker, unless he managed to kill the attacker first. Which is
exactly what he did...put a BOOM on my front seat.

We both got a big laugh out of it..and he got some wisdom. He also
made a pretty good survivalist later on.

The biggest issue I can see with the war on terror today, is we are
not terminating the extremist Clerics and Mullahs. THEY are the ones
keeping the pot stirred up.

Here's how I'm staying more alert nowadays:

http://diversify.com/20yeartoken/

Bravo!! My respects to you (in this regard so dont get a big headG)

Gunner

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Gunner

On 8 Jul 2005 07:30:29 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Not true. And speaking of treason...how are you Anti-Bush and anti-war
types doing about the terrorists?

We're responding to the present administration's demand for
more money for their unfunded mandate to conduct a useless
war that nobody wants and apparently produces no meaningful
results.

useless war? Hummmm 50,000,000 people free from dictators, a growing
democratic trend in one of the foremost trouble spots in the world,
and the start of bringing a 12th century ideology into the 21st
century? Odd..that would seem like quite an accomplishment to me.

Gunner, reality check time here.

How long did it take to win the war against japan which
started at Pearl Harbor?

4 yrs, give or take, then an additional 7 yrs of occupation of a
people accustomed to bowing to any authority figure, with a mandate
from their God-King to behave.

How long has it been since Bin Laden blew up the WTC?

4 yrs. give or take.

Think about it. Our country mobilized after the depression,
organized and defeated japan in LESS time than it took our
present government to do what? NOT FIND one guy who blew
up our country.

Please point out the nation of Al-quida on the map. Btw..where is DB
Cooper? How long was Eric Rudolph running around free in HIS OWN
COUNTRY?

That's pathetic.

Jim

Making the connection between WW2 and this kind of war..one no one has
ever fought before, is whats pathetic, Jim.

When Bush responded to the Al-Quada/militant Islamic fundimentalist
threat..he said quite clearly that the war may take generations.
Somehow you and the Left perceived this to mean "a short time"

Why is your comprehension issue on this so poor? You are an apparently
intelligent guy? Why are you so stupid on this?

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Gunner

On 8 Jul 2005 15:17:56 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

"never going to be elections in Iraq" (which happened in less than two
years) suddenly got changed to yada yada yada...

All the Lefts predictions have turned out to be abject failures..so
they have to keep changing the goal posts time and time again. Its
what the Left does when they are no longer in control. Obstruct,
demonize, balkanize, whimper and screech.

They have nothing else.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

If I recall correctly Bush was not for establishing a new Federal civil
service department to handle security at airports. Congress is the one
that did that. Senators are a little better than members of the house.
The usual response of Congress is to pass another law or establish a
new department. They seem to believe that doing something is seen to
be better than not doing anything. And if the new law or department
does not work, they think that they can not be blamed. Hey they just
authorized it. They did not administrate it.

Dan

Larry Jaques wrote:

(If it were bucks out of Shrub's pocket, he'd show
you how important it was to him by immediately cancelling all of it.)

Anti-terrorist Orgs seem to be about as effective as the War on Drugs.
What do they catch, 5% or so? At a cost of billions. Brilliant.
If condoms had as many holes, we be waist deep in babies. sigh

Here's how I'm staying more alert nowadays:
http://diversify.com/20yeartoken/

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Making the connection between WW2 and this kind of war..one no one has
ever fought before, is whats pathetic, Jim.

No, making a connection between a terrorist who blew us up,
and a war in a country that had nothing to do with that, is
pathetic. As is, saying, "oh, we don't care about finding
him after all."

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

Yeah, except it's naiive to think that if we're just friendly that
they'll stop attacking us. Dangerously naiive.

Which is more dangerous, spending billions of dollars to get us
to stop attacking us, or not spending the money to get them
to stop attacking us?

Because honestly the two approaches seem to have about the
same effect. They're still attacking us. Our war has
failed.

A pragmatist would say why spend the money?

Jim

please reply to:

Rex B

Btw..what do you think is the proper way to prevent this sort of
thing?

Diplomacy. We're nice to the Canadians, so they don't try to hurt us.

Polyanna lives!

Get used to the idea that people are going to get killed--has
happened ever since the beginning of history, and probably since far
before that. Traditionally, the easiest way to keep yourself from
getting killed is to just make friends with everyone around you.

Certainly worked well for Neville Chamberlain
Dave Hinz

On 8 Jul 2005 13:12:51 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner says...

Making the connection between WW2 and this kind of war..one no one has
ever fought before, is whats pathetic, Jim.

No, making a connection between a terrorist who blew us up,
and a war in a country that had nothing to do with that, is
pathetic. As is, saying, "oh, we don't care about finding
him after all."

Can you provide a cite for the quote you just made please?
Or, maybe you're paraphrasing based on your own biases?
Dave Hinz

On 8 Jul 2005 13:15:34 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz says...

Yeah, except it's naiive to think that if we're just friendly that
they'll stop attacking us. Dangerously naiive.

Which is more dangerous, spending billions of dollars to get us
to stop attacking us, or not spending the money to get them
to stop attacking us?

Because each approach that doesn't completely fix the problem is equal,
is that it?

Because honestly the two approaches seem to have about the
same effect. They're still attacking us. Our war has
failed.

Has it? Where is the followup attack to 9/11 in the US?

A pragmatist would say why spend the money?

It's impossible to prove either way if the money and efforts have
prevented the attacks that haven't happened. Logic indicates that if
they didn't like us before, and we made their life harder, they still
don't like us. Since they still don't like us, maybe more than before,
and they haven't attacked us again, maybe we've prevented incidents. I
don't believe that we've been told about all of the intelligence that
has been gathered, or the efforts being undertaken, nor do I think we
_should_ be informed of those things.

Gunner

u wrote:

Diplomacy. We're nice to the Canadians, so they don't try to hurt us.
Call it a wild idea, but I think if we'd stop blowing up people in
the Middle East, stop ****ing with their governments, and stop
threatening them with all kinds of trade sanctions the population at
large would be far less likely to attack us and far more likely to help
us find any actual terrorists that may stick around.

Lets see again, what you Leftist fringe kooks and terrorist supporters
are claiming the US/Bush etc etc is responsible for, shall we? Below
are only attacks committed by Islamic extremists......
If you would like, Id be happy to reinsert those attacks by drug
cartels, communists and so forth...however the list gets quite
large....

Attack on the Munich Airport, February 10, 1970: Three terrorists
attacked El Al passengers in a bus at the Munich Airport with guns and
grenades. One passenger was killed and 11 were injured. All three
terrorists were captured by airport police. The Action Organization
for the Liberation of Palestine and the Popular Democratic Front for
the Liberation of Palestine claimed responsibility for the attack.

Munich Olympic Massacre, September 5, 1972: Eight Palestinian "Black
September" terrorists seized eleven Israeli athletes in the Olympic
Village in Munich, West Germany. In a bungled rescue attempt by West
German authorities, nine of the hostages and five terrorists were
killed.

Ambassador to Sudan Assassinated, March 2, 1973: U.S. Ambassador to
Sudan Cleo A. Noel and other diplomats were assassinated at the Saudi
Arabian Embassy in Khartoum by members of the Black September
organization.

Attack and Hijacking at the Rome Airport, December 17, 1973: Five
terrorists pulled weapons from their luggage in the terminal lounge at
the Rome airport, killing two persons. They then attacked a Pan
American 707 bound for Beirut and Tehran, destroying it with
incendiary grenades and killing 29 persons, including 4 senior
Moroccan officials and 14 American employees of ARAMCO. They then
herded 5 Italian hostages into a Lufthansa airliner and killed an
Italian customs agent as he tried to escape, after which they forced
the pilot to fly to Beirut. After Lebanese authorities refused to let
the plane land, it landed in Athens, where the terrorists demanded the
release of 2 Arab terrorists. In order to make Greek authorities
comply with their demands, the terrorists killed a hostage and threw
his body onto the tarmac. The plane then flew to Damascus, where it
stopped for two hours to obtain fuel and food. It then flew to Kuwait,
where the terrorists released their hostages in return for passage to
an unknown destination. The Palestine Liberation Organization
disavowed the attack, and no group claimed responsibility for it.

Entebbe Hostage Crisis, June 27, 1976: Members of the Baader-Meinhof
Group and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP)
seized an Air France airliner and its 258 passengers. They forced the
plane to land in Uganda. On July 3 Israeli commandos successfully
rescued the passengers.

Ambassador to Afghanistan Assassinated, February 14, 1979: Four
Afghans kidnapped U.S. Ambassador Adolph Dubs in Kabul and demanded
the release of various "religious figures." Dubs was killed, along
with four alleged terrorists, when Afghan police stormed the hotel
room where he was being held.

Iran Hostage Crisis, November 4, 1979: After President Carter agreed
to admit the Shah of Iran into the US, Iranian radicals seized the
U.S. Embassy in Tehran and took 66 American diplomats hostage.
Thirteen hostages were soon released, but the remaining 53 were held
until their release on January 20, 1981.

Grand Mosque Seizure, November 20, 1979: 200 Islamic terrorists seized
the Grand Mosque in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, taking hundreds of pilgrims
hostage. Saudi and French security forces retook the shrine after an
intense battle in which some 250 people were killed and 600 wounded.

Assassination of Egyptian President, October 6, 1981: Soldiers who
were secretly members of the Takfir Wal-Hajira sect attacked and
killed Egyptian President Anwar Sadat during a troop review.

Assassination of Lebanese President, September 14, 1982: President
Bashir Gemayel was assassinated by a car bomb parked outside his
party’s Beirut headquarters.

1983

Bombing of U.S. Embassy in Beirut, April 18, 1983: Sixty-three people,
including the CIA’s Middle East director, were killed and 120 were
injured in a 400-pound suicide truck-bomb attack on the U.S. Embassy
in Beirut, Lebanon. The Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility.

Bombing of Marine Barracks, Beirut, October 23, 1983: Simultaneous
suicide truck-bomb attacks were made on American and French compounds
in Beirut, Lebanon. A 12,000-pound bomb destroyed the U.S. compound,
killing 242 Americans, while 58 French troops were killed when a
400-pound device destroyed a French base. Islamic Jihad claimed
responsibility.

1984

Kidnapping of Embassy Official, March 16, 1984: The Islamic Jihad
kidnapped and later murdered Political Officer William Buckley in
Beirut, Lebanon. Other U.S. citizens not connected to the U.S.
government were seized over a succeeding two-year period.

Restaurant Bombing in Spain, April 12, 1984: Eighteen U.S. servicemen
were killed and 83 people were injured in a bomb attack on a
restaurant near a U.S. Air Force Base in Torrejon, Spain.

1985

TWA Hijacking, June 14, 1985: A Trans-World Airlines flight was
hijacked en route to Rome from Athens by two Lebanese Hizballah
terrorists and forced to fly to Beirut. The eight crew members and 145
passengers were held for seventeen days, during which one American
hostage, a U.S. Navy sailor, was murdered. After being flown twice to
Algiers, the aircraft was returned to Beirut after Israel released 435
Lebanese and Palestinian prisoners.

Soviet Diplomats Kidnapped, September 30, 1985: In Beirut, Lebanon,
Sunni terrorists kidnapped four Soviet diplomats. One was killed but
three were later released.

Achille Lauro Hijacking, October 7, 1985: Four Palestinian Liberation
Front terrorists seized the Italian cruise liner in the eastern
Mediterranean Sea, taking more than 700 hostages. One U.S. passenger
was murdered before the Egyptian government offered the terrorists
safe haven in return for the hostages’ freedom.

Egyptian Airliner Hijacking, November 23, 1985: An EgyptAir airplane
bound from Athens to Malta and carrying several U.S. citizens was
hijacked by the Abu Nidal Group.

Airport Attacks in Rome and Vienna, December 27, 1985: Four gunmen
belonging to the Abu Nidal Organization attacked the El Al and Trans
World Airlines ticket counters at Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci Airport
with grenades and automatic rifles. Thirteen persons were killed and
75 were wounded before Italian police and Israeli security guards
killed three of the gunmen and captured the fourth. Three more Abu
Nidal gunmen attacked the El Al ticket counter at Vienna’s Schwechat
Airport, killing three persons and wounding 30. Austrian police killed
one of the gunmen and captured the others.

1986

Aircraft Bombing in Greece, March 30, 1986: A Palestinian splinter
group detonated a bomb as TWA Flight 840 approached Athens airport,
killing four U.S. citizens.

Berlin Discothèque Bombing, April 5, 1986: Two U.S. soldiers were
killed and 79 American servicemen were injured in a Libyan bomb attack
on a nightclub in West Berlin, West Germany. In retaliation U.S.
military jets bombed targets in and around Tripoli and Benghazi.

1987

1988

Kidnapping of William Higgins, February 17, 1988: U.S. Marine Corps
Lieutenant Colonel W. Higgins was kidnapped and murdered by the
Iranian-backed Hizballah group while serving with the United Nations
Truce Supervisory Organization (UNTSO) in southern Lebanon.

Naples USO Attack, April 14, 1988: The Organization of Jihad Brigades
exploded a car-bomb outside a USO Club in Naples, Italy, killing one
U.S. sailor.

Pan Am 103 Bombing, December 21, 1988: Pan American Airlines Flight
103 was blown up over Lockerbie, Scotland, by a bomb believed to have
been placed on the aircraft by Libyan terrorists in Frankfurt, West
Germany. All 259 people on board were killed.

1989

Bombing of UTA Flight 772, September 19, 1989: A bomb explosion
destroyed UTA Flight 772 over the Sahara Desert in southern Niger
during a flight from Brazzaville to Paris. All 170 persons aboard were
killed. Six Libyans were later found guilty in absentia and sentenced
to life imprisonment.

1990

1991

Attempted Iraqi Attacks on U.S. Posts, January 18-19, 1991: Iraqi
agents planted bombs at the U.S. Ambassador to Indonesia’s home
residence and at the USIS library in Manila.

Assassination of former Indian Prime Minister, May 21, 1991: A female
member of the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) killed herself,
Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, and 16 others by detonating an explosive
vest after presenting a garland of flowers to the former Prime
Minister during an election rally in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.

1992

Bombing of the Israeli Embassy in Argentina, March 17, 1992: Hizballah
claimed responsibility for a blast that leveled the Israeli Embassy in
Buenos Aires, Argentina, causing the deaths of 29 and wounding 242.

1993

World Trade Center Bombing, February 26, 1993: The World Trade Center
in New York City was badly damaged when a car bomb planted by Islamic
terrorists exploded in an underground garage. The bomb left 6 people
dead and 1,000 injured. The men carrying out the attack were followers
of Umar Abd al-Rahman, an Egyptian cleric who preached in the New York
City area.

Attempted Assassination of President Bush by Iraqi Agents, April 14,
1993: The Iraqi intelligence service attempted to assassinate former
U.S. President George Bush during a visit to Kuwait. In retaliation,
the U.S. launched a cruise missile attack 2 months later on the Iraqi
capital Baghdad.

1994

Hebron Massacre, February 25, 1994: Jewish right-wing extremist and
U.S. citizen Baruch Goldstein machine-gunned Moslem worshippers at a
mosque in West Bank town of Hebron, killing 29 and wounding about 150.

Air France Hijacking, December 24, 1994: Members of the Armed Islamic
Group seized an Air France Flight to Algeria. The four terrorists were
killed during a rescue effort.

1995

Attack on U.S. Diplomats in Pakistan, March 8, 1995: Two unidentified
gunmen killed two U.S. diplomats and wounded a third in Karachi,
Pakistan.

Kashmiri Hostage-taking, July 4, 1995: In India six foreigners,
including two U.S. citizens, were taken hostage by Al-Faran, a
Kashmiri separatist group. One non-U.S. hostage was later found
beheaded.

Jerusalem Bus Attack, August 21, 1995: HAMAS claimed responsibility
for the detonation of a bomb that killed 6 and injured over 100
persons, including several U.S. citizens.

Attack on U.S. Embassy in Moscow, September 13, 1995: A
rocket-propelled grenade was fired through the window of the U.S.
Embassy in Moscow, ostensibly in retaliation for U.S. strikes on Serb
positions in Bosnia.

Saudi Military Installation Attack, November 13, 1995: The Islamic
Movement of Change planted a bomb in a Riyadh military compound that
killed one U.S. citizen, several foreign national employees of the
U.S. government, and over 40 others.

Egyptian Embassy Attack, November 19, 1995: A suicide bomber drove a
vehicle into the Egyptian Embassy compound in Islamabad, Pakistan,
killing at least 16 and injuring 60 persons. Three militant Islamic
groups claimed responsibility.

1996

Tamil Tigers Attack, January 31, 1996: Members of the Liberation
Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) rammed an explosives-laden truck into the
Central Bank in the heart of downtown Colombo, Sri Lanka, killing 90
civilians and injuring more than 1,400 others, including 2 US
citizens.

Athens Embassy Attack, February 15, 1996: Unidentified assailants
fired a rocket at the U.S. Embassy compound in Athens, causing minor
damage to three diplomatic vehicles and some surrounding buildings.
Circumstances of the attack suggested it was an operation carried out
by the 17 November group.

HAMAS Bus Attack, February 26, 1996: In Jerusalem, a suicide bomber
blew up a bus, killing 26 persons, including three U.S. citizens, and
injuring some 80 persons, including three other US citizens.

Dizengoff Center Bombing, March 4, 1996: HAMAS and the Palestine
Islamic Jihad (PIJ) both claimed responsibility for a bombing outside
of Tel Aviv's largest shopping mall that killed 20 persons and injured
75 others, including 2 U.S. citizens.

West Bank Attack, May 13, 1996: Arab gunmen opened fire on a bus and a
group of Yeshiva students near the Bet El settlement, killing a dual
U.S./Israeli citizen and wounding three Israelis. No one claimed
responsibility for the attack, but HAMAS was suspected.

Zekharya Attack, June 9, 1996: Unidentified gunmen opened fire on a
car near Zekharya, killing a dual U.S./Israeli citizen and an Israeli.
The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) was
suspected.

Khobar Towers Bombing, June 25, 1996: A fuel truck carrying a bomb
exploded outside the US military's Khobar Towers housing facility in
Dhahran, killing 19 U.S. military personnel and wounding 515 persons,
including 240 U.S. personnel. Several groups claimed responsibility
for the attack.

Bombing of Archbishop of Oran, August 1, 1996: A bomb exploded at the
home of the French Archbishop of Oran, killing him and his chauffeur.
The attack occurred after the Archbishop's meeting with the French
Foreign Minister. The Algerian Armed Islamic Group (GIA) is suspected.

PUK Kidnapping, September 13, 1996: In Iraq, Patriotic Union of
Kurdistan (PUK) militants kidnapped four French workers for
Pharmaciens Sans Frontieres, a Canadian United Nations High
Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) official, and two Iraqis.

Paris Subway Explosion, December 3, 1996: A bomb exploded aboard a
Paris subway train as it arrived at the Port Royal station, killing
two French nationals, a Moroccan, and a Canadian, and injuring 86
persons. Among those injured were one U.S. citizen and a Canadian. No
one claimed responsibility for the attack, but Algerian extremists are
suspected.

1997

Egyptian Letter Bombs, January 2-13, 1997: A series of letter bombs
with Alexandria, Egypt, postmarks were discovered at Al-Hayat
newspaper bureaus in Washington, New York City, London, and Riyadh,
Saudi Arabia. Three similar devices, also postmarked in Egypt, were
found at a prison facility in Leavenworth, Kansas. Bomb disposal
experts defused all the devices, but one detonated at the Al-Hayat
office in London, injuring two security guards and causing minor
damage.

Tajik Hostage Abductions, February 4-17, 1997: Near Komsomolabad,
Tajikistan, a paramilitary group led by Bakhrom Sodirov abducted four
United Nations (UN) military observers. The victims included two
Swiss, one Austrian, one Ukrainian, and their Tajik interpreter. The
kidnappers demanded safe passage for their supporters from Afghanistan
to Tajikistan. In four separate incidents occurring between Dushanbe
and Garm, Bakhrom Sodirov and his group kidnapped two International
Committee for the Red Cross members, four Russian journalists and
their Tajik driver, four UNHCR members, and the Tajik Security
Minister, Saidamir Zukhurov.

Empire State Building Sniper Attack, February 23, 1997: A Palestinian
gunman opened fire on tourists at an observation deck atop the Empire
State Building in New York City, killing a Danish national and
wounding visitors from the United States, Argentina, Switzerland, and
France before turning the gun on himself. A handwritten note carried
by the gunman claimed this was a punishment attack against the
"enemies of Palestine."

Israeli Shopping Mall Bombing, September 4, 1997: Three suicide
bombers of HAMAS detonated bombs in the Ben Yehuda shopping mall in
Jerusalem, killing eight persons, including the bombers, and wounding
nearly 200 others. A dual U.S./Israeli citizen was among the dead, and
7 U.S. citizens were wounded.

Yemeni Kidnappings, October 30, 1997: Al-Sha'if tribesmen kidnapped a
U.S. businessman near Sanaa. The tribesmen sought the release of two
fellow tribesmen who were arrested on smuggling charges and several
public works projects they claim the government promised them. They
released the hostage on November 27.

Murder of U.S. Businessmen in Pakistan, November 12, 1997: Two
unidentified gunmen shot to death four U.S. auditors from Union Texas
Petroleum Corporation and their Pakistani driver after they drove away
from the Sheraton Hotel in Karachi. The Islami Inqilabi Council, or
Islamic Revolutionary Council, claimed responsibility in a call to the
U.S. Consulate in Karachi. In a letter to Pakistani newspapers, the
Aimal Khufia Action Committee also claimed responsibility.

Tourist Killings in Egypt, November 17, 1997: Al-Gama'at al-Islamiyya
(IG) gunmen shot and killed 58 tourists and four Egyptians and wounded
26 others at the Hatshepsut Temple in the Valley of the Kings near
Luxor. Thirty-four Swiss, eight Japanese, five Germans, four Britons,
one French, one Colombian, a dual Bulgarian/British citizen, and four
unidentified persons were among the dead. Twelve Swiss, two Japanese,
two Germans, one French, and nine Egyptians were among the wounded.

1998

UN Observer Abductions, February 19, 1998: Armed supporters of late
Georgian president Zviad Gamsakhurdia abducted four UN military
observers from Sweden, Uruguay, and the Czech Republic.

Somali Hostage-takings, April 15, 1998: Somali militiamen abducted
nine Red Cross and Red Crescent workers at an airstrip north of
Mogadishu. The hostages included a U.S. citizen, a German, a Belgian,
a French, a Norwegian, two Swiss, and one Somali. The gunmen were
members of a sub-clan loyal to Ali Mahdi Mohammed, who controlled the
northern section of the capital.

U.S. Embassy Bombings in East Africa, August 7, 1998: A bomb exploded
at the rear entrance of the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya, killing 12
U.S. citizens, 32 Foreign Service Nationals (FSNs), and 247 Kenyan
citizens. Approximately 5,000 Kenyans, 6 U.S. citizens, and 13 FSNs
were injured. The U.S. Embassy building sustained extensive structural
damage. Almost simultaneously, a bomb detonated outside the U.S.
Embassy in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, killing 7 FSNs and 3 Tanzanian
citizens, and injuring 1 U.S. citizen and 76 Tanzanians. The explosion
caused major structural damage to the U.S. Embassy facility. The U.S.
Government held Usama Bin Laden responsible.

1999

Angolan Aircraft Downing, January 2, 1999: A UN plane carrying one
U.S. citizen, four Angolans, two Philippine nationals and one Namibian
was shot down, according to a UN official. No deaths or injuries were
reported. Angolan authorities blamed the attack on National Union for
the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA) rebels. UNITA officials
denied shooting down the plane.

Greek Embassy Seizure, February 16, 1999: Kurdish protesters stormed
and occupied the Greek Embassy in Vienna, taking the Greek Ambassador
and six other persons hostage. Several hours later the protesters
released the hostages and left the Embassy. The attack followed the
Turkish Government's announcement of the successful capture of the
Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan. Kurds also
occupied Kenyan, Israeli, and other Greek diplomatic facilities in
France, Holland, Switzerland, Britain, and Germany over the following
days.

Shell Platform Bombing, June 27, 1999: In Port Harcourt, Nigeria,
armed youths stormed a Shell oil platform, kidnapping one U.S.
citizen, one Nigerian national, and one Australian citizen, and
causing undetermined damage. A group calling itself "Enough is Enough
in the Niger River" claimed responsibility. Further seizures of oil
facilities followed.

AFRC Kidnappings, August 4, 1999: An Armed Forces Revolutionary
Council (AFRC) faction kidnapped 33 UN representatives near Occra
Hills, Sierra Leone. The hostages included one U.S. citizen, five
British soldiers, one Canadian citizen, one representative from Ghana,
one military officer from Russia, one officer from Kyrgystan, one
officer from Zambia, one officer from Malaysia, a local Bishop, two UN
officials, two local journalists, and 16 Sierra Leonean nationals.

PLA Kidnapping, December 23, 1999: Colombian People’s Liberation Army
(PLA) forces kidnapped a U.S. citizen in an unsuccessful ransoming
effort.

Indian Airlines Airbus Hijacking, December 24, 1999: Five militants
hijacked a flight bound from Katmandu to New Delhi carrying 189
people. The plane and its passengers were released unharmed on
December 31.

2000

Diplomatic Assassination in Greece, June 8, 2000: In Athens, Greece,
two unidentified gunmen killed British Defense Attaché Stephen
Saunders in an ambush. The Revolutionary Organization 17 November
claimed responsibility.

Kidnappings in Kyrgyzstan, August 12, 2000: In the Kara-Su Valley, the
Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan took four U.S. citizens hostage. The
Americans escaped on August 12.

Church Bombing in Tajikistan, October 1, 2000: Unidentified militants
detonated two bombs in a Christian church in Dushanbe, killing seven
persons and injuring 70 others. The church was founded by a
Korean-born U.S. citizen, and most of those killed and wounded were
Korean. No one claimed responsibility.

Attack on U.S.S. Cole, October 12, 2000: In Aden, Yemen, a small dingy
carrying explosives rammed the destroyer U.S.S. Cole, killing 17
sailors and injuring 39 others. Supporters of Usama Bin Laden were
suspected.

Manila Bombing, December 30, 2000: A bomb exploded in a plaza across
the street from the U.S. Embassy in Manila, injuring nine persons. The
Moro Islamic Liberation Front was likely responsible.

2001

Srinagar Airport Attack and Assassination Attempt, January 17, 2001:
In India, six members of the Lashkar-e-Tayyba militant group were
killed when they attempted to seize a local airport. Members of Hizbul
Mujaheddin fired two rifle grenades at Farooq Abdullah, Chief Minister
for Jammu and Kashmir. Two persons were wounded in the unsuccessful
assassination attempt.

Bush sworn into office for first term, on January 20, 2001

Suicide Bombing in Israel, March 4, 2001: A suicide bomb attack in
Netanya killed 3 persons and wounded 65. HAMAS later claimed
responsibility.

Airliner Hijacking in Istanbul, March 15, 2001: Three Chechens
hijacked a Russian airliner during a flight from Istanbul to Moscow
and forced it to fly to Medina, Saudi Arabia. The plane carried 162
passengers and a crew of 12. After a 22-hour siege during which more
than 40 passengers were released, Saudi security forces stormed the
plane, killing a hijacker, a passenger, and a flight attendant.

Bus Stop Bombing, April 22, 2001: A member of HAMAS detonated a bomb
he was carrying near a bus stop in Kfar Siva, Israel, killing one
person and injuring 60.

Philippines Hostage Incident, May 27, 2001: Muslim Abu Sayyaf
guerrillas seized 13 tourists and 3 staff members at a resort on
Palawan Island and took their captives to Basilan Island. The captives
included three U.S. citizens: Guellermo Sobero and missionaries Martin
and Gracia Burnham. Philippine troops fought a series of battles with
the guerrillas between June 1 and June 3 during which 9 hostages
escaped and two were found dead. The guerrillas took additional
hostages when they seized the hospital in the town of Lamitan. On June
12, Abu Sayyaf spokesman Abu Sabaya claimed that Sobero had been
killed and beheaded; his body was found in October. The Burnhams
remained in captivity until June 2002.

Tel-Aviv Nightclub Bombing, June 1, 2001: HAMAS claimed responsibility
for the suicide bombing of a popular Israeli nightclub that caused
over 140 casualties.

HAMAS Restaurant Bombing, August 9, 2001: A HAMAS-planted bomb
detonated in a Jerusalem pizza restaurant, killing 15 people and
wounding more than 90. The Israeli response included occupation of
Orient House, the Palestine Liberation Organization’s political
headquarters in East Jerusalem.

Suicide Bombing in Israel, September 9, 2001: The first suicide
bombing carried out by an Israeli Arab killed 3 persons in Nahariya.
HAMAS claimed responsibility.

Death of "the Lion of the Panjshir", September 9, 2001: Two suicide
bombers fatally wounded Ahmed Shah Massoud, a leader of Afghanistan’s
Northern Alliance, which had opposed both the Soviet occupation and
the post-Soviet Taliban government. The bombers posed as journalists
and were apparently linked to al-Qaida. The Northern Alliance did not
confirm Massoud’s death until September 15.

Terrorist Attacks on U.S. Homeland, September 11, 2001: Two hijacked
airliners crashed into the twin towers of the World Trade Center. Soon
thereafter, the Pentagon was struck by a third hijacked plane. A
fourth hijacked plane, suspected to be bound for a high-profile target
in Washington, crashed into a field in southern Pennsylvania. The
attacks killed 3,025 U.S. citizens and other nationals. President Bush
and Cabinet officials indicated that Usama Bin Laden was the prime
suspect and that they considered the United States in a state of war
with international terrorism. In the aftermath of the attacks, the
United States formed the Global Coalition Against Terrorism.

Attack on the Jammu and Kashmir Legislature, October 1, 2001: After a
suicide car bomber forced the gate of the state legislature in
Srinagar, two gunmen entered the building and held off police for
seven hours before being killed. Forty persons died in the incident.
Jaish-e-Muhammad claimed responsibility.

Assassination of an Israeli Cabinet Minister, October 17, 2001: A
Palestinian gunman assassinated Israeli Minister of Tourism Rehavam
Zeevi in the Jerusalem hotel where he was staying. The Popular Front
for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) claimed to have avenged the
death of PFLP Mustafa Zubari.

Attack on a Church in Pakistan, October 28, 2001: Six masked gunmen
shot up a church in Bahawalpur, Pakistan, killing 15 Pakistani
Christians. No group claimed responsibility, although various militant
Muslim groups were suspected.

Suicide Bombings in Jerusalem, December 1, 2001: Two suicide bombers
attacked a Jerusalem shopping mall, killing 10 persons and wounding
170.

Suicide Bombing in Haifa, December 2, 2001: A suicide bomb attack
aboard a bus in Haifa, Israel, killed 15 persons and wounded 40. HAMAS
claimed responsibility for both this attack and those on December 1 to
avenge the death of a HAMAS member at the hands of Israeli forces a
week earlier.

Attack on the Indian Parliament, December 13, 2001: Five gunmen
attacked the Indian Parliament in New Delhi shortly after it had
adjourned. Before security forces killed them, the attackers killed 6
security personnel and a gardener. Indian officials blamed
Lashkar-e-Tayyiba and demanded that Pakistan crack down on it and on
other Muslim separatist groups in Kashmir.

2002

Ambush on the West Bank, January 15, 2002: Palestinian militants fired
on a vehicle in Beit Sahur, killing one passenger and wounding the
other. The dead passenger claimed U.S. and Israeli citizenship. The
al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Battalion claimed responsibility.

Shooting Incident in Israel, January 17, 2002: A Palestinian gunman
killed 6 persons and wounded 25 in Hadera, Israel, before being killed
by Israeli police. The al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades claimed
responsibility as revenge for Israel’s killing of a leading member of
the group.

Drive-By Shooting at a U.S. Consulate, January 22, 2002: Armed
militants on motorcycles fired on the U.S. Consulate in Calcutta,
India, killing 5 Indian security personnel and wounding 13 others. The
Harakat ul-Jihad-I-Islami and the Asif Raza Commandoes claimed
responsibility. Indian police later killed two suspects, one of whom
confessed to belonging to Lashkar-e-Tayyiba as he died.

Bomb Explosion in Kashmir, January 22, 2002: A bomb exploded in a
crowded retail district in Jammu, Kashmir, killing one person and
injuring nine. No group claimed responsibility.

Kidnapping of Daniel Pearl, January 23, 2002: Armed militants
kidnapped Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in Karachi,
Pakistan. Pakistani authorities received a videotape on February 20
depicting Pearl’s murder. His grave was found near Karachi on May 16.
Pakistani authorities arrested four suspects. Ringleader Ahmad Omar
Saeed Sheikh claimed to have organized Pearl’s kidnapping to protest
Pakistan’s subservience to the United States, and had belonged to
Jaish-e-Muhammad, an Islamic separatist group in Kashmir. All four
suspects were convicted on July 15. Saeed Sheikh was sentenced to
death, the others to life imprisonment.

Suicide Bombing in Jerusalem, January 27, 2002: A suicide bomb attack
in Jerusalem killed one other person and wounded 100. The incident was
the first suicide bombing made by a Palestinian woman.

Suicide Bombing in the West Bank, February 16, 2002: A suicide bombing
in an outdoor food court in Karmei Shomron killed 4 persons and
wounded 27. Two of the dead and two of the wounded were U.S. citizens.
The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) claimed
responsibility.

Suicide Bombing in the West Bank, March 7, 2002: A suicide bombing in
a supermarket in the settlement of Ariel wounded 10 persons, one of
whom was a U.S. citizen. The PFLP claimed responsibility.

Suicide Bombing in Jerusalem, March 9, 2002: A suicide bombing in a
Jerusalem restaurant killed 11 persons and wounded 52, one of whom was
a U.S. citizen. The al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades claimed responsibility.

Grenade Attack on a Church in Pakistan, March 17, 2002: Militants
threw grenades into the Protestant International Church in Islamabad,
Pakistan, during a service attended by diplomatic and local personnel.
Five persons, two of them U.S. citizens, were killed and 46 were
wounded. The dead Americans were State Department employee Barbara
Green and her daughter Kristen Wormsley. Thirteen U.S. citizens were
among the wounded. The Lashkar-e-Tayyiba group was suspected.

Suicide Bombing in Jerusalem, March 21, 2002: A suicide bombing in
Jerusalem killed 3 persons and wounded 86 more, including 2 U.S.
citizens. The Palestinian Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility.

Suicide Bombing in Israel, March 27, 2002: A suicide bombing in a
noted restaurant in Netanya, Israel, killed 22 persons and wounded
140. One of the dead was a U.S. citizen. The Islamic Resistance
Movement (HAMAS) claimed responsibility.

Temple Bombing in Kashmir, March 30, 2002: A bomb explosion at a Hindu
temple in Jammu, Kashmir, killed 10 persons. The Islamic Front claimed
responsibility.

Suicide Bombing in the West Bank, March 31, 2002: A suicide bombing
near an ambulance station in Efrat wounded four persons, including a
U.S. citizen. The al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades claimed responsibility.

Armed attack on Kashmir, April 10, 2002: Armed militants attacked a
residence in Gando, Kashmir, killing five persons and wounding four.
No group claimed responsibility.

Synagogue Bombing in Tunisia, April 11, 2002: A suicide bomber
detonated a truck loaded with propane gas outside a historic synagogue
in Djerba, Tunisia. The 16 dead included 11 Germans, one French
citizen, and three Tunisians. Twenty-six German tourists were injured.
The Islamic Army for the Liberation of the Holy Sites claimed
responsibility.

Suicide Bombing in Jerusalem, April 12, 2002: A female suicide bomber
killed 6 persons in Jerusalem and wounded 90 others. The al-Aqsa
Martyrs’ Brigades claimed responsibility.

Car Bombing in Pakistan, May 8, 2002: A car bomb exploded near a
Pakistani navy shuttle bus in Karachi, killing 12 persons and wounding
19. Eleven of the dead and 11 of the wounded were French nationals.
Al-Qaida was suspected of the attack.

Parade Bombing in Russia, May 9, 2002: A remotely-controlled bomb
exploded near a May Day parade in Kaspiisk, Dagestan, killing 42
persons and wounding 150. Fourteen of the dead and 50 of the wounded
were soldiers. Islamists linked to al-Qaida were suspected.

Attack on a Bus in India, May 14, 2002: Militants fired on a passenger
bus in Kaluchak, Jammu, killing 7 persons. They then entered a
military housing complex and killed 3 soldiers and 7 military
dependents before they were killed. The al-Mansooran and Jamiat
ul-Mujahedin claimed responsibility.

Bomb Attacks in Kashmir, May 17, 2002: A bomb explosion near a civil
secretariat area in Srinagar, Kashmir, wounded 6 persons. In Jammu, a
bomb exploded at a fire services headquarters, killing two and
wounding 16. No group claimed responsibility for either attack.

Hostage Rescue Attempt in the Philippines, June 7, 2002: Philippine
Army troops attacked Abu Sayyaf terrorists on Mindanao Island in an
attempt to rescue U.S. citizen Martin Burnham and his wife Gracia, who
had been kidnapped more than a year ago. Burnham was killed but his
wife, though wounded, was freed. A Filipino hostage was killed, as
were four of the guerrillas. Seven soldiers were wounded.

Car Bombing in Pakistan, June 14, 2002: A car bomb exploded near the
U.S. Consulate and the Marriott Hotel in Karachi, Pakistan. Eleven
persons were killed and 51 were sounded, including one U.S. and one
Japanese citizen. Al Qaida and al-Qanin were suspected.

Suicide Bombing in Jerusalem, June 19, 2002: A suicide bombing at a
bus stop in Jerusalem killed 6 persons and wounded 43, including 2
U.S. citizens. The al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades claimed responsibility.

Suicide Bombing in Tel Aviv, July 17, 2002: Two suicide bombers
attacked the old bus station in Tel Aviv, Israel, killing 5 persons
and wounding 38. The dead included one Romanian and two Chinese;
another Romanian was wounded. The Islamic Jihad claimed
responsibility.

Bombing at the Hebrew University, July 31, 2002: A bomb hidden in a
bag in the Frank Sinatra International Student Center of Jerusalem’s
Hebrew University killed 9 persons and wounded 87. The dead included 5
U.S. citizens and 4 Israelis. The wounded included 4 U.S. citizens, 2
Japanese, and 3 South Koreans. The Islamic Resistance Movement (HAMAS)
claimed responsibility.

Suicide Bombing in Israel, August 4, 2002: A suicide bomb attack on a
bus in Safed, Israel, killed 9 persons and wounded 50. Two of the dead
were Philippine citizens; many of the wounded were soldiers returning
from leave. HAMAS claimed responsibility.

Attack on a School in Pakistan, August 5, 2002: Gunmen attacked a
Christian school attended by children of missionaries from around the
world. Six persons (two security guards, a cook, a carpenter, a
receptionist, and a private citizen) were killed and a Philippine
citizen was wounded. A group called al-Intigami al-Pakistani claimed
responsibility.

Attack on Pilgrims in Kashmir, August 6, 2002: Armed militants
attacked a group of Hindu pilgrims with guns and grenades in Pahalgam,
Kashmir. Nine persons were killed and 32 were wounded. The
Lashkar-e-Tayyiba claimed responsibility.

Assassination in Kashmir, September 11, 2002: Gunmen killed Kashmir’s
Law Minister Mushtaq Ahmed Lone and six security guards in Tikipora.
Lashkar-e-Tayyiga, Jamiat ul-Mujahedin, and Hizb ul-Mujahedin all
claimed responsibility. Other militants attacked the residence of the
Minister of Tourism with grenades, injuring four persons. No group
claimed responsibility.

Ambush on the West Bank, September 18, 2002: Gunmen ambushed a vehicle
on a road near Yahad, killing an Israeli and wounding a Romanian
worker. The al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades claimed responsibility.

Suicide Bomb Attack in Israel, September 19, 2002: A suicide bomb
attack on a bus in Tel Aviv killed 6 persons and wounded 52. One of
the dead was a British subject. HAMAS claimed responsibility.

Attack on a French Tanker, October 6, 2002: An explosive-laden boat
rammed the French oil tanker Limburg, which was anchored about 5 miles
off al-Dhabbah, Yemen. One person was killed and 4 were wounded.
Al-Qaida was suspected.

Car Bomb Explosion in Bali, October 12, 2002: A car bomb exploded
outside the Sari Club Discotheque in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia,
killing 202 persons and wounding 300 more. Most of the casualties,
including 88 of the dead, were Australian tourists. Seven Americans
were among the dead. Al-Qaida claimed responsibility. Two suspects
were later arrested and convicted. Iman Samudra, who had trained in
Afghanistan with al-Qaeda and was suspected of belonging to Jemaah
Islamiya, was sentenced to death on September 10, 2003.

Chechen Rebels Seize a Moscow Theater, October 23-26, 2002: Fifty
Chechen rebels led by Movsar Barayev seized the Palace of Culture
Theater in Moscow, Russia, to demand an end to the war in Chechnya.
They seized more than 800 hostages from 13 countries and threatened to
blow up the theater. During a three-day siege, they killed a Russian
policeman and five Russian hostages. On October 26, Russian Special
Forces pumped an anesthetic gas through the ventilation system and
then stormed the theater. All of the rebels were killed, but 94
hostages (including one American) also died, many from the effects of
the gas. A group led by Chechen warlord Shamil Basayev claimed
responsibility.

Assassination of an AID Official, October 28, 2002: Gunmen in Amman
assassinated Laurence Foley, Executive Officer of the U.S. Agency for
International Development Mission in Jordan. The Honest People of
Jordan claimed responsibility.

Suicide Bombing in Jerusalem, November 21, 2002: A suicide bomb attack
on a bus on Mexico Street in Jerusalem killed 11 persons and wounded
50 more. One of the dead was a Romanian. HAMAS claimed responsibility.

Attack on Temples in Kashmir, November 24, 2002: Armed militants
attacked the Reghunath and Shiv temples in Jammu, Kashmir, killing 13
persons and wounding 50. The Lashkare-e-Tayyiba claimed
responsibility.

Attacks on Israeli Tourists in Kenya, November 28, 2002: A
three-person suicide car bomb attack on the Paradise Hotel in Mombasa,
Kenya, killed 15 persons and wounded 40. Three of the dead and 18 of
the wounded were Israeli tourists; the others were Kenyans. Near
Mombasa’s airport, two SA-7 shoulder-fired missiles were fired as an
Arkia Airlines Boeing 757 that was carrying 261 passengers back to
Israel. Both missiles missed. Al-Qaida, the Government of Universal
Palestine in Exile, and the Army of Palestine claimed responsibility
for both attacks. Al-Ittihad al-Islami was also suspected of
involvement.

Attack on a Bus in the Philippines, December 26, 2002: Armed militants
ambushed a bus carrying Filipino workers employed by the Canadian
Toronto Ventures Inc. Pacific mining company in Zamboanga del Norte.
Thirteen persons were killed and 10 wounded. Philippine authorities
suspected the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which had been
extorting money from Toronto Ventures. The Catholic charity
Caritas-Philippines said that Toronto Ventures had harassed tribesmen
who opposed mining on their ancestral lands.

Bombing of a Government Building in Chechnya, December 27, 2002: A
suicide bomb attack involving two explosives-laden trucks destroyed
the offices of the pro-Russian Chechen government in Grozny. The
attack killed over 80 people and wounded 210. According to a Chechen
website run by the Kavkaz Center, Chechen warlord Shamil Basayev
claimed responsibility.

2003

Suicide Bombings in Tel Aviv, January 5, 2003: Two suicide bomb
attacks killed 22 and wounded at least 100 persons in Tel Aviv,
Israel. Six of the victims were foreign workers. The Al-Aqsa Martyrs’
Brigades claimed responsibility.

Night Club Bombing in Colombia, February 7, 2003: A car bomb exploded
outside a night club in Bogota, Colombia, killing 32 persons and
wounding 160. No group claimed responsibility, but Colombian officials
suspected the Colombian Revolutionary Armed Forces (FARC) of
committing the worst terrorist attack in the country in a decade.

Assasination of a Kurdish Leader, February 8, 2003: Members of Ansar
al-Islam assassinated Kurdish legislator Shawkat Haji Mushir and
captured two other Kurdish officials in Qamash Tapa in northern Iraq.

Suicide Bombing in Haifa, March 5, 2003: A suicide bombing aboard a
bus in Haifa, Israel, killed 15 persons and wounded at least 40. One
of the dead claimed U.S. as well as Israeli citizenship. The bomber’s
affiliation was not immediately known.

Suicide Bombing in Netanya, March 30, 2003: A suicide bombing in a
cafe in Netanya, Israel, wounded 38 persons. Only the bomber was
killed. Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility and called the attack a
"gift" to the people of Iraq.

Unsuccessful Hostage Rescue Attempt in Colombia, May 5, 2003: The FARC
killed 10 hostages when Colombian special forces tried to rescue them
from a jungle hideout near Urrao, in Colombia’s Antioquia State. The
dead included Governor Guillermo Gavira and former Defense Minister
Gilberto Echeverri Mejia, who had been kidnapped in April 2002.

Truck Bomb Attacks in Saudi Arabia, May 12, 2003: Suicide bombers
attacked three residential compounds for foreign workers in Riyadh,
Saudi Arabia. The 34 dead included 9 attackers, 7 other Saudis, 9 U.S.
citizens, and one citizen each from the United Kingdom, Ireland, and
the Philippines. Another American died on June 1. It was the first
major attack on U.S. targets in Saudi Arabia since the end of the war
in Iraq. Saudi authorities arrested 11 al-Qaida suspects on May 28.

Truck Bombing in Chechnya, May 12, 2003: A truck bomb explosion
demolished a government compound in Znamenskoye, Chechnya, killing 54
persons. Russian authorities blamed followers of a Saudi-born Islamist
named Abu Walid. President Vladimir Putin said that he suspected that
there was an al-Qaida connection.

Attempted Assassination in Chechnya, May 12, 2003: Two female suicide
bombers attacked Chechen Administrator Mufti Akhmed Kadyrov during a
religious festival in Iliskhan Yurt. Kadyrov escaped injury, but 14
other persons were killed and 43 were wounded. Chechen rebel leader
Shamil Basayev claimed responsibility.

Suicide Bomb Attacks in Morocco, May 16, 2003: A team of 12 suicide
bombers attacked five targets in Casablanca, Morocco, killing 43
persons and wounding 100. The targets were a Spanish restaurant, a
Jewish community, a Jewish cemetery, a hotel, and the Belgian
Consulate. The Moroccan Government blamed the Islamist al-Assirat
al-Moustaquim (The Righteous Path), but foreign commentators suspected
an al-Qaida connection.

Suicide Bomb Attack in Jerusalem, May 18, 2003: A suicide bomb attack
on a bus in Jerusalem’s French Hill district killed 7 persons and
wounded 20. The bomber was disguised as a religious Jew. HAMAS claimed
responsibility

Suicide Bombing in Afula, May 19, 2003: A suicide bomb attack by a
female Palestinian student killed 3 persons and wounded 52 at a
shopping mall in Afula, Israel. Both Islamic Jihad and the al-Aqsa
Martyrs’ Brigades claimed responsibility.

Suicide Bombing in Jerusalem, June 11, 2003: A suicide bombing aboard
a bus in Jerusalem killed 16 persons and wounded at least 70, one of
whom died later. HAMAS claimed responsibility, calling it revenge for
an Israeli helicopter attack on HAMAS leader Abdelaziz al-Rantisi in
Gaza City the day before.

Truck Bombing in Northern Ossetia, August 1, 2003: A suicide truck
bomb attack destroyed a Russian military hospital in Mozdok, North
Ossetia and killed 50 persons. Russian authorities attributed the
attack to followers of Chechen rebel leader Shamil Basayev.

Hotel Bombing in Indonesia, August 5, 2003: A car bomb exploded
outside the Marriott Hotel in Jakarta, Indonesia, killing 10 persons
and wounding 150. One of the dead was a Dutch citizen. The wounded
included an American, a Canadian, an Australian, and two Chinese.
Indonesian authorities suspected the Jemaah Islamiah, which had
carried out the October 12, 2002 bombing in Bali.

Bombing of the Jordanian Embassy in Baghdad, August 7, 2003: A car
bomb exploded outside the Jordanian Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq, killing
19 persons and wounding 65. Most of the victims were apparently
Iraqis, including 5 police officers. No group claimed responsibility.

Suicide Bombings in Israel and the West Bank, August 12, 2003: The
first suicide bombings since the June 29 Israeli-Palestinian truce
took place. The first, in a supermarket at Rosh Haayin, Israel, killed
one person and wounded 14. The second, at a bus stop near the Ariel
settlement in the West Bank, killed one person and wounded 3. The
al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades claimed responsibility for the first; HAMAS
claimed responsibility for the second.

Bombing of the UN Headquarters in Baghdad, August 19, 2003: A truck
loaded with surplus Iraqi ordnance exploded outside the United Nations
Headquarters in Baghdad’s Canal Hotel. A hospital across the street
was also heavily damaged. The 23 dead included UN Special
Representative Sergio Viera de Mello. More than 100 persons were
wounded. It was not clear whether the bomber was a Baath Party
loyalist or a foreign Islamic militant. An al-Qaeda branch called the
Brigades of the Martyr Abu Hafz al-Masri later claimed responsibility.

Suicide Bombing in Jerusalem, August 19, 2003: A suicide bombing
aboard a bus in Jerusalem killed 20 persons and injured at least 100,
one of whom died later. Five of the dead were American citizens. HAMAS
and Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility, although HAMAS leader
al-Rantisi said that his organization remained committed to the truce
while reserving the right to respond to Israeli military actions.

Car Bomb Kills Shi’ite Leader in Najaf, August 29, 2003: A car bomb
explosion outside the Shrine of the Imam Ali in Najaf, Iraq killed at
least 81 persons and wounded at least 140. The dead included the
Ayatollah Mohammed Bakir al-Hakim, one of four leading Shi’ite clerics
in Iraq. Al-Hakim had been the leader of the Supreme Council for the
Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI) since its establishment in 1982,
and SCIRI had recently agreed to work with the U.S.-sponsored Iraqi
Governing Council. It was not known whether the perpetrators were
Baath Party loyalists, rival Shi’ites, or foreign Islamists.

Suicide Bombings in Israel, September 9, 2003: Two suicide bombings
took place in Israel. The first, at a bus stop near the Tsrifin army
base southeast of Tel Aviv, killed 7 soldiers and wounded 14 soldiers
and a civilian. The second, at a café in Jerusalem’s German Colony
neighborhood, killed 6 persons and wounded 40. HAMAS did not claim
responsibility until the next day, although a spokesman called the
first attack" a response to Israeli aggression."

Assassination of an Iraqi Governing Council Member, September 20,
2003: Gunmen shot and seriously wounded Akila Hashimi, one of three
female members of the Iraqi Governing Council, near her home in
Baghdad. She died September 25.

A Second Attack on the UN Headquarters in Baghdad, September 22, 2003:
A suicide car bomb attack on the UN Headquarters in Baghdad killed a
security guard and wounded 19 other persons.

Suicide Bombing in Israel, October 4, 2003: A Palestinian woman made a
suicide bomb attack on a restaurant in Haifa, killing 19 persons and
wounding at least 55. Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the
attack. The next day, Israel bombed a terrorist training camp in
Syria.

Attacks in Iraq, October 9, 2003: Gunmen assassinated a Spanish
military attaché in Baghdad. A suicide car bomb attack on an Iraqi
police station killed 8 persons and wounded 40.

Car Bombings in Baghdad, October 12, 2003: Two suicide car bombs
exploded outside the Baghdad Hotel, which housed U.S. officials. Six
persons were killed and 32 wounded. Iraqi and U.S. security personnel
apparently kept the cars from actually reaching the hotel.

Bomb Attack on U.S. Diplomats in the Gaza Strip, October 15, 2003: A
remote-controlled bomb exploded under a car in a U.S. diplomatic
convoy passing through the northern Gaza Strip. Three security guards,
all employees of DynCorp, were killed. A fourth was wounded. The
diplomats were on their way to interview Palestinian candidates for
Fulbright scholarships to study in the United States. Palestinian
President Arafat and Prime Minister Qurei condemned the attack, while
the major Palestinian militant groups denied responsibility. The next
day, Palestinian security forces arrested several suspects, some of
whom belonged to the Popular Resistance Committees.

Rocket Attack on the al-Rashid Hotel in Baghdad, October 26, 2003:
Iraqis using an improvised rocket launcher bombarded the al-Rashid
Hotel in Baghdad, killing one U.S. Army officer and wounding 17
persons. The wounded included 4 U.S. military personnel and seven
American civilians. Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul D. Wolfowitz, who
was staying at the hotel, was not injured. After visiting the wounded,
he said, "They’re not going to scare us away; we’re not giving up on
this job."

Assassination of a Deputy Mayor in Baghdad, October 26, 2003: Two
gunmen believed to be Baath Party loyalists assassinated Faris Abdul
Razaq al-Assam, one of three deputy mayors of Baghdad. U.S. officials
did not announce al-Assam’s death until October 28.

Wave of Car Bombings in Baghdad, October 27, 2003: A series of suicide
car bombings in Baghdad killed at least 35 persons and wounded at
least 230. Four attacks were directed at Iraqi police stations, the
fifth and most destructive was directed at the International Committee
of the Red Cross headquarters, where at least 12 persons were killed.
A sixth attack failed when a car bomb failed to explode and the bomber
was wounded and captured by Iraqi police. U.S. and Iraqi officials
suspected that foreign terrorists were involved; the unsuccessful
bomber said he was a Syrian national and carried a Syrian passport.
After a meeting with Administrator L. Paul Bremer, President Bush
said, "The more successful we are on the ground, the more these
killers will react."

Suicide Bombing in Riyadh, November 8, 2003: In Riyadh, a suicide car
bombing took place in the Muhaya residential compound, which was
occupied mainly by nationals of other Arab countries. Seventeen
persons were killed and 122 were wounded. The latter included 4
Americans. The next day, Deputy Secretary of State Armitage said
al-Qaeda was probably responsible.

Truck Bombing in Nasiriyah, November 12, 2003: A suicide truck bomb
destroyed the headquarters of the Italian military police in
Nasiriyah, Iraq, killing 18 Italians and 11 Iraqis and wounding at
least 100 persons.

Synagogue Bombings in Istanbul, November 15, 2003: Two suicide truck
bombs exploded outside the Neve Shalom and Beth Israel synagogues in
Istanbul, killing 25 persons and wounding at least 300 more. The
initial claim of responsibility came from a Turkish militant group,
the Great Eastern Islamic Raiders’ Front, but Turkish authorities
suspected an al-Qaeda connection. The next day, the London-based
newspaper al-Quds al-Arabi received an e-mail in which an al-Qaeda
branch called the Brigades of the Martyr Abu Hafz al-Masri claimed
responsibility for the Istanbul synagogue bombings.

More Suicide Truck Bombings in Istanbul, November 20, 2003: Two more
suicide truck bombings devastated the British HSBC Bank and the
British Consulate General in Istanbul, killing 27 persons and wounding
at least 450. The dead included Consul General Roger Short. U.S.,
British, and Turkish officials suspected that al-Qaeda had struck
again. The U.S. Consulate in Istanbul was closed, and the Embassy in
Ankara advised American citizens in Istanbul to stay home.

Car Bombing in Kirkuk, November 20, 2003: A suicide car bombing in
Kirkuk killed 5 persons. The target appeared to be the headquarters of
the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan. PUK officials suspected the Ansar
al-Islam group, which was said to have sheltered fugitive Taliban and
al-Qaeda members after the U.S. campaign in Afghanistan.

Attacks on Other Coalition Personnel in Iraq, November 29-30, 2003:
Iraqi insurgents stepped up attacks on nationals of other members of
the Coalition. On November 29, an ambush in Mahmudiyah killed 7 out of
a party of 8 Spanish intelligence officers. Iraqi insurgents also
killed two Japanese diplomats near Tikrit. On November 30, another
ambush near Tikrit killed two South Korean electrical workers and
wounded two more. A Colombian employee of Kellogg Brown & Root was
killed and two were wounded in an ambush near Balad.

Train Bombing in Southern Russia, December 5, 2003: A suicide bomb
attack killed 42 persons and wounded 150 aboard a Russian commuter
train in the south Russian town of Yessentuki. Russian officials
suspected Chechen rebels; President Putin said the attack was meant to
disrupt legislative elections. Chechen rebel leader Aslan Maskhadov
denied any involvement.

Suicide Bombing in Moscow, December 9, 2003: A female suicide bomber
killed 5 other persons and wounded 14 outside Moscow’s National Hotel.
She was said to be looking for the State Duma.

Suicide Car Bombings in Iraq, December 15, 2003: Two days after the
capture of Saddam Hussein, there were two suicide car bomb attacks on
Iraqi police stations. One at Husainiyah killed 8 persons and wounded
20. The other, at Ameriyah, wounded 7 Iraqi police. Guards repelled a
second vehicle.

Office Bombing in Baghdad, December 19, 2003: A bomb destroyed the
Baghdad office of the Supreme Council of the Islamic Revolution in
Iraq, killing a woman and wounding at least 7 other persons.

Suicide Car Bombing in Irbil, December 24, 2003: A suicide car bomb
attack on the Kurdish Interior Ministry in Irbil, Iraq, killed 5
persons and wounded 101.

Attempted Assassination in Rawalpindi, December 25, 2003: Two suicide
truck bombers killed 14 persons as President Musharraf’s motorcade
passed through Rawalpindi, Pakistan. An earlier attempt on December 14
caused no casualties. Pakistani officials suspected Afghan and
Kashmiri militants. On January 6, 2004, Pakistani authorities
announced the arrest of 6 suspects who were said to be members of
Jaish-e-Muhammad.

Suicide Bombing in Israel, December 25, 2003: A Palestinian suicide
bomber killed 4 persons at a bus stop near Petah Tikva, Israel. The
Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine claimed responsibility
for the attack in retaliation for Israeli military operations in
Nablus that had begun two days earlier.

Restaurant Bombing in Baghdad, December 31, 2003: A car bomb explosion
outside Baghdad’s Nabil Restaurant killed 8 persons and wounded 35.
The wounded included 3 Los Angeles Times reporters and 3 local
employees

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Gunner

u wrote:

Btw..what do you think is the proper way to prevent this sort of
thing?

Diplomacy. We're nice to the Canadians, so they don't try to hurt us.

Perhaps you would wish to channel the spirit of Neville Chamberlain
and get back to us on the subject of Diplomacy?

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

You know, it's funny. I _still_ wouldn't know that there is something
called Karl Rove, if not for people like you who go on and on and on
about him.

You should get out more. The man's running the
country. What was gunner's *favorite* saying...?

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Perhaps you would wish to channel the spirit of Neville Chamberlain

Hmm. "We have achieved peace in our time." Compare and
contrast that with "Mission Accomplished" if you please.

Roosevelt and Truman won a tough war. Bush has been dicking
around for years and accomplished nothing. Even his own
trained pony says we're gonna be in there for about 12 more
years.

Who's gonna fly the helicopters off of *this* embassy roof?
Your *grand*children?

Jim

please reply to:
RAM^3

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Has it? Where is the followup attack to 9/11 in the US?

7/7 in London.

jim rozen

In article , RAM^3 says...

Has it? Where is the followup attack to 9/11 in the US?

7/7 in London.

I think this was where I came it. Dave said it was
"beneath me" to point this out. Our efforts in
iraq no matter how splendid at spending our tax
dollars have not stopped terrorism at all.

They seem to be concentrating all the insurgents
instead, so they can attend postgraduate terrorism
school in the universtity that we ourselves have
created.

Jim

please reply to:
J. R. Carroll

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , RAM^3 says...

Has it? Where is the followup attack to 9/11 in the US?

7/7 in London.

I think this was where I came it. Dave said it was
"beneath me" to point this out. Our efforts in
iraq no matter how splendid at spending our tax
dollars have not stopped terrorism at all.

They seem to be concentrating all the insurgents
instead, so they can attend postgraduate terrorism
school in the universtity that we ourselves have
created.

Jim

Jim,
Have a look at this. You get a little sense of the history involved.

"The time of revenge has come"
Blowback from Bush and Blair's incompetently pursued war on terror has hit
London. When will the U.S. figure out how to fight smart?

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Juan Cole

July 8, 2005 | Credit for the horrific bombings of the London Underground
and a double-decker bus on Thursday morning was immediately taken on a
radical Muslim Web site by a "secret group" of Qaida al-Jihad in Europe. By
Thursday afternoon, as the casualty toll rose above 40 dead and 700 wounded,
British Foreign Minister Jack Straw was saying, "It has the hallmarks of an
al-Qaida-related attack." Although U.S. President George W. Bush maintains
that al-Qaida strikes out at the industrialized democracies because of
hatred for Western values, the statement said nothing of the sort. The
attack, the terrorists proclaimed, was an act of sacred revenge for British
"massacres" in "Afghanistan and Iraq," and a punishment of the United
Kingdom for its "Zionism" (i.e., support of Israel). If they really are
responsible, who is this group and what do they want?

The phrase "Qaida al-Jihad" refers to the 2001 decision made by Ayman
al-Zawahiri, a leader of the Egyptian terrorist group al-Jihad al-Islami, to
merge his organization into bin Laden's al-Qaida ("the Base"). The joint
organization was thus renamed Qaida al-Jihad, the "Base for Holy War."
(Zawahiri and bin Laden had allied in 1998.) The group claiming
responsibility for the London bombings represents itself as a secret,
organized grouping or cell of "Qaida al-Jihad in Europe." It is significant
that they identify themselves as "in Europe," suggesting that they are based
on the continent and have struck from there into London. This conclusion is
bolstered by their description of the attack as a "blessed raid." One raids
a neighboring territory, not one's own. Whether this group carried out the
attack or not, the sentiments they express do exist among the radical fringe
and form a continued danger. Jihadi internet bulletin boards expressed
skepticism about the group, and pointed to an inaccuracy in the quotation
from the Quran. But al-Qaida wannabes are often engineers without good
Arabic or Islamics training.

Most probably, then, this group consists of a small (and previously obscure)
expatriate Muslim network somewhere in continental Europe, which has decided
to announce its allegiance to Qaida al-Jihad. It is highly unlikely that
al-Qaida itself retains enough command and control to plan or order such
operations. They could have found many cues in al-Qaida literature, however,
that London should be attacked.

The United Kingdom had not been a target for al-Qaida in the late 1990s. But
in October 2001, bin Laden threatened the United Kingdom with suicide
aircraft attacks if it joined in the U.S. campaign in Afghanistan. In
November of 2002, bin Laden said in an audiotape, "What do your governments
want from their alliance with America in attacking us in Afghanistan? I
mention in particular Britain, France, Italy, Canada, Germany and
Australia." In February of 2003, as Bush and Blair marched to war in Iraq,
bin Laden warned that the U.K. as well as the U.S. would be made to pay. In
October of 2003, bin Laden said of the Iraq war, "Let it be known to you
that this war is a new campaign against the Muslim world," and named Britain
as a target for reprisals. A month later, an al-Qaida-linked group detonated
bombs in Istanbul, targeting British sites and killing the British
vice-consul. Although bin Laden offered several European countries,
including Britain, a truce in April of 2004 if they would withdraw from
Afghanistan and Iraq, the deadline for the end of the truce ended in
mid-July of that year.

Ayman al-Zawahiri recently issued a videotape, excerpts of which appeared on
al-Jazeera on June 17, which stressed the need for violent action as opposed
to participation in political reform. True reform, he said, must be based on
three premises: The rule of Islamic law, liberating the lands of Islam from
the Occupier, and the freedom of the Islamic community in managing its own
affairs. He thundered that "expelling the marauder Crusader and Jewish
forces cannot be done through demonstrations and hoarse voices."
Al-Zawahiri's videotapes have often been issued just before major terrorist
actions, and some analysts believe that they are intended as cues for when
they should be undertaken. Abdel Bari Atwan, the London editor of the Arab
newspaper al-Quds, warned that the appearance of the tape signaled an
imminent attack.

The communiqué on the London bombing is unusual in appealing both to the
Muslim community and to the "community of Arabism." "Urubah," or Arabism, is
a secular nationalist ideal. The diction suggests that the bombers are from
a younger generation of activists who have not lived in non-Arab Muslim
countries such as Pakistan and Afghanistan, and think of Arabism and Islam
as overlapping rather than alternatives to one another. The text makes
relatively few references to religion, reading more as a statement of Muslim
nationalism than of piety.

In accordance with al-Zawahiri's focus on violence as the answer to the
"marauding" of occupying non-Muslim armies in Muslim lands, the statement
condemns what it calls "massacres" by "Zionist" British troops in Iraq and
Afghanistan, both of them Muslim lands under Western military occupation
(and, it is implied, similar in this regard to Gaza and the West Bank under
Israeli control). These bombings, it says, are a form of revenge for these
alleged predations. The language of revenge recalls tribal feuds rather than
Islamic values.

The terrorists refer to the bombings, which they say they carefully planned
over a long period, as a "blessed raid." They are recalling the struggle
between the wealthy, pagan trading entrepot, Mecca, and the beleaguered,
persecuted Muslim community in Medina in early seventh century west Arabia.
The Muslims around the Prophet Mohammed responded to the Meccan
determination to wipe them out by raiding the caravans of their wealthy
rivals, depriving them of their profits and gradually strangling them. The
victorious Muslims, having cut the idol-worshipping Meccan merchants off,
marched into the city in 630. Al-Qaida teaches its acolytes that great
Western metropolises such as New York and London are the Meccas of this age,
centers of paganism, immorality and massive wealth, from which plundering
expeditions are launched against hapless, pious Muslims. This symbology
helps explain why the City of London subway stops were especially targeted,
since it is the economic center of London. A "raid" such as the Muslim
bombings is considered not just a military action but also a religious
ritual.

If the communiqué of Qaida al-Jihad in Europe proves authentic, the London
bombings are the second major instance of terrorism in Europe directly
related to the Iraq war. In March of 2004, the Moroccan Islamic Combatant
Group (French acronym: GICM) launched a massive attack on trains in Madrid
in order to punish Spain for its participation in the U.S.-led coalition in
Iraq, following on their bombing of Casablanca the previous year.

From the point of view of a serious counterinsurgency campaign against
al-Qaida, Bush has made exactly the wrong decisions all along the line. He
decided to "unleash" Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon rather than
pressing for Israeli-Palestinian peace and an end to Israeli occupation of
the territories it captured in 1967. Rather than extinguishing this most
incendiary issue for Arabs and Muslims, he poured gasoline on it. His
strategy in response to Sept. 11 was to fight the Afghanistan War on the
cheap. By failing to commit American ground troops in Tora Bora, he allowed
bin Laden and al-Zawahiri to escape. He reneged on promises to rebuild
Afghanistan and prevent the reemergence of the Taliban and al-Qaida there,
thus prolonging the U.S. and NATO military presence indefinitely. He then
diverted most American military and reconstruction resources into an illegal
war on Iraq. That war may have been doomed from the beginning, but Bush's
refusal to line up international support, and his administration's criminal
lack of planning for the postwar period, made failure inevitable.

Conservative commentators argue that Iraq is a "fly trap" for Muslim
terrorists. It makes much more sense to think of it as bin Laden's fly trap
for Western troops. There, jihadis can kill them (making the point that they
are not invulnerable), and can provoke reprisals against Iraqi civilians
that defame the West in the Muslim world. After Abu Ghraib and Fallujah,
many Muslims felt that Bin Laden's dire warnings to them that the United
States wanted to occupy their countries, rape their women, humiliate their
men, and steal their assets had been vindicated.

These claims were not credited by most of the world's Muslims before the
Iraq war. Opinion polls show that most of the world's Muslims have great
admiration for democracy and many other Western values. They object to the
U.S. and the U.K. because of their policies, not their values. Before Bush,
for instance, the vast majority of Indonesians felt favorably toward the
United States. Even after a recent bounce from U.S. help with tsunami
relief, only about a third now do.

The global anti-insurgency battle against al-Qaida must be fought smarter if
the West is to win. To criminal investigations and surveillance must be
added a wiser set of foreign policies. Long-term Western military occupation
of Afghanistan and Iraq is simply not going to be acceptable to many in the
Muslim world. U.S. actions at Abu Ghraib and Fallujah created powerful new
symbols of Muslim humiliation that the jihadis who sympathize with al-Qaida
can use to recruit a new generation of terrorists. The U.S. must act as an
honest broker in resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. And Bush and
Blair must urgently find a credible exit strategy from Iraq that can
extricate the West from bin Laden's fly trap.

Chicago political scientist Robert Pape argues in his new book, "Dying to
Win," that the vast majority of suicide bombers are protesting foreign
military occupation undertaken by democratic societies where public opinion
matters. He points out that there is no recorded instance of a suicide
attack in Iraq in all of history until the Anglo-American conquest of that
country in 2003. He might have added that neither had any bombings been
undertaken elsewhere in the name of Iraq.

George Bush is sure to try to use the London bombings to rally the American
people to support his policies. If Americans look closer, however, they will
realize that Bush's incompetent crusade has made the world more dangerous,
not less.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

JVC AV-28WR2EK with blue gun stuck on Dave Gostelow Electronics Repair 6 January 11th 06 09:08 AM
Pioneer PRO510HD blue haze and low flashes VICKKILYN GALLAGHER Electronics Repair 1 March 2nd 05 01:32 PM
Mitsubishi CK-3526R, no blue. David Farber Electronics Repair 1 November 27th 04 02:55 AM
blue is better deborah barrie UK diy 8 March 19th 04 09:45 PM
Blue, blue, my world is blue -- is this fixable? Eric Vey Electronics Repair 2 September 24th 03 10:45 PM