George E. Cawthon

Default LED flashlight (no battery)

Stopped by Costco yesterday and saw a no-battery flashlight.
Before Christmas I saw one at Fred Meyer and was going
to buy it as a gift for camping trips but by the time I
decided to buy it, they were out.

Anyway, it's a yellow thing labeled GEI INC. Has a squeeze
handle and a switch, so I had to buy one. The instruction
say you get about 3 minutes of light for each 30 seconds of
squeezing. Damn it is bright. Probably not much good for
wandering around the woods, but useful if the electricity
goes out, and I can read by it which is more than I can say
for the standard lights in my travel trailer. It must have
a small capacity rechargeable battery in it. I squeezed it
for about 30 seconds yesterday afternoon, checked how bright
it was and turned it on for a few seconds several times
during the evening. Still bright this morning and still
bright tonight, so it is holding a charge. Cute, useful,
and $8.
TCS

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:40:37 GMT, George E. Cawthon wrote:
Stopped by Costco yesterday and saw a no-battery flashlight.
Before Christmas I saw one at Fred Meyer and was going
to buy it as a gift for camping trips but by the time I
decided to buy it, they were out.

Anyway, it's a yellow thing labeled GEI INC. Has a squeeze
handle and a switch, so I had to buy one. The instruction
say you get about 3 minutes of light for each 30 seconds of
squeezing. Damn it is bright. Probably not much good for
wandering around the woods, but useful if the electricity
goes out, and I can read by it which is more than I can say
for the standard lights in my travel trailer. It must have

I guess if you haven't the skills to keep batteries in a flashlight and to
keep a spare set somewhere then it might come in handy.

My guess would be that the person incapable of managing a battery operated
flashlight would also be incapable of remembering where he stored that
windup flashlight.
Jeff Wisnia

TCS wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:40:37 GMT, George E. Cawthon wrote:

Stopped by Costco yesterday and saw a no-battery flashlight.
Before Christmas I saw one at Fred Meyer and was going
to buy it as a gift for camping trips but by the time I
decided to buy it, they were out.

Anyway, it's a yellow thing labeled GEI INC. Has a squeeze
handle and a switch, so I had to buy one. The instruction
say you get about 3 minutes of light for each 30 seconds of
squeezing. Damn it is bright. Probably not much good for
wandering around the woods, but useful if the electricity
goes out, and I can read by it which is more than I can say
for the standard lights in my travel trailer. It must have

I guess if you haven't the skills to keep batteries in a flashlight and to
keep a spare set somewhere then it might come in handy.

Oh? Children + flashlights = dead batteries every time. (Unless you lock
up the flashlights.)

My guess would be that the person incapable of managing a battery operated
flashlight would also be incapable of remembering where he stored that
windup flashlight.

I prefer the rechargable flashlights which hang from an outlet. They can
be set to come on by themselves when the power quits, so they can serve
as "emergency light", or not.

Only problem are those damn kids again....They never put 'em back into
the outlets when they're done with 'em. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
George E. Cawthon

TCS wrote:
[...]

It's a novelty! But you didn't read it all. Have you ever
read with a flashlight? bright spots, dim spots, it's a
mess. This one held about 2 feet from a book fills the page
with even illumination, so I will make a holder. And the
switch is quiet in comparison to the damn 6 V that clicks
loudly and which I use every time I get up to go take a
whizz and that's pretty often.

Manage batteries? Yeah I manage batteries, 3 in vehicles, 2
in the trailer, rechargeable in two drills, cameras,
toothbrushes and batteries in 6V lamps, flashlights, TV,
VCR, DVD, stereo controllers, phones, smoke sensors, CO
sensors, tape machines, radios, GPS, 5mile talkers, 2 mile
talkers. I've got lots of battery operated stuff and lots
of batteries in the refrig and I manage very well. I
remember when the only things that had batteries were cars,
tractors, and flashlights (maybe 1 or 2 for the father) and
the lights were kerosene. Yeah, I manage my batteries very
well, seem that you can't manage your flippant mouth tho.
indago

050127 0240 - George E. Cawthon posted:

[...]

Check in that section too for the solar powered flashlights...

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:52:19 GMT, indago
wrote:

[...]

Personally, never trusted those. We sometimes get days of gloominess
before a storm, and was uneasy about having a flashlight that could
'drain' before we actually needed it.

imho,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Michael Daly

On 28-Jan-2005, "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Have you ever
read with a flashlight? bright spots, dim spots, it's a
mess. This one held about 2 feet from a book fills the page
with even illumination, so I will make a holder.

One of the nice things about LED lights is the relatively even
illumination compared to small incandescents.

Mike
TCS

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:58:08 GMT, Michael Daly wrote:
On 28-Jan-2005, "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Have you ever
read with a flashlight? bright spots, dim spots, it's a
mess. This one held about 2 feet from a book fills the page
with even illumination, so I will make a holder.

One of the nice things about LED lights is the relatively even
illumination compared to small incandescents.

Are there any LED lights that can do a wide beam? Are there any that you'd
actually consider using to light a path at night?

So far, all the ones I've seen have been just toys.
AZGuy

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:56:05 -0600, TCS
wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of the commercials for hand cranked radios so you'll be
ready for when we all get nuked or hit by a comet. Alkaline batteries
last over 5 years. The hand crank radio costs over $100. For $50 you
could by a big box of batteries and a couple of plain ol radios and
have multiple redundancy if you are THAT worried about listening to
the radio when the nukes/comets hits.
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789
George E. Cawthon

indago wrote:
050127 0240 - George E. Cawthon posted:

Check in that section too for the solar powered flashlights...

Not in my Costco! I can't remember ever seeing a solar
flashlight.

George E. Cawthon

TCS wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:58:08 GMT, Michael Daly wrote:

On 28-Jan-2005, "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Have you ever
read with a flashlight? bright spots, dim spots, it's a
mess. This one held about 2 feet from a book fills the page
with even illumination, so I will make a holder.

One of the nice things about LED lights is the relatively even
illumination compared to small incandescents.

Are there any LED lights that can do a wide beam? Are there any that you'd
actually consider using to light a path at night?

So far, all the ones I've seen have been just toys.

Actually there are and it has been discussed at length in
some other groups. I think Luxeon has been mentioned but
don't know what model. It's all in the reflector and
apparently they cost about #30. Costco has a two package
that looks good but I have no idea of beam width. You are
right, most LED flashlights look rather cheap.
TCS

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:04:07 GMT, George E. Cawthon wrote:
indago wrote:
050127 0240 - George E. Cawthon posted:

Check in that section too for the solar powered flashlights...

Not in my Costco! I can't remember ever seeing a solar
flashlight.

It's right next to the solar night light and the one station intercom.
Andy Hill

TCS wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:58:08 GMT, Michael Daly wrote:
On 28-Jan-2005, "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Are there any LED lights that can do a wide beam? Are there any that you'd
actually consider using to light a path at night?

So far, all the ones I've seen have been just toys.

Any decent camping / outdoors store (REI, etc.) will have a good
selection...mostly of the headlamp variety. I have one made by Black Diamond
that's at least 3 years old, and still works great for nighttime trail running.
I would assume the newer models are even better.
David Combs

Are there any LED lights that can do a wide beam? Are there any that you'd
actually consider using to light a path at night?

Sure would be nice if there was one that, like the maglites,
you could adjust the beam-width.

David

Stormin Mormon

I've got several LED lights. My 2AA minimag conversion is by www.opalec.com
and cost me about $28. Worth every penny, in not blowing out bulbs. It is
limited, it isn't as bright, and no where near as focussed. But it gets me
in and out of cellars, and some odd places.

Fire up Ebay, and see what you can find. I got one that takes three AA
batteries, and has six LED, of which four work. Ah, well. Not worth sending
it back. Too long for my pocket, so I crammed it into my Tul Bukt, where it
gets used once in awhile. You can get something for under twenty bucks, with
shipping and all.

Now, if you want a "No battery" model, that doesn't exist. They all have a
battery of some form, even if it's a nicad with a solar charger or crank
charger. Yes, saw solar and or crank units on Ebay, too.

Most LED, you can not adjust the width of the beam. Some of the replacement
bulbs for PR bulbs might be an exception if you put it in a Mag light, like
a 3D cell or 3C cell model.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

(David Combs) wrote in
:

Are there any LED lights that can do a wide beam? Are there any
that you'd actually consider using to light a path at night?

Sure would be nice if there was one that, like the maglites,
you could adjust the beam-width.

David

Grandpa Koca

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've got several LED lights. My 2AA minimag conversion is by www.opalec.com
and cost me about $28. Worth every penny, in not blowing out bulbs. It is
limited, it isn't as bright, and no where near as focussed. But it gets me
in and out of cellars, and some odd places.

Fire up Ebay, and see what you can find. I got one that takes three AA
batteries, and has six LED, of which four work. Ah, well. Not worth sending
it back. Too long for my pocket, so I crammed it into my Tul Bukt, where it
gets used once in awhile. You can get something for under twenty bucks, with
shipping and all.

Now, if you want a "No battery" model, that doesn't exist. They all have a
battery of some form, even if it's a nicad with a solar charger or crank
charger. Yes, saw solar and or crank units on Ebay, too.

Never say something doesn't exist unless you're talking about temporal
time sifters.
No battery models example:
http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...l?sku=DK013RED
Like it says, no battery, no nicads, just a moving magnet through a coil
of wire and some circuitry to charge a capacitor to power the LED.
Got one in all the cars so I don't have to worry about batteries leaking
or not having enough charge.

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.
Michael A. Ball

From: http://www.theledlight.com/ledbulbs.html
The Side Emitter EverLED™ is a solid state flashlight bulb that replaces
traditional incandescent PR-flange bulbs in most common flashlights, but
do better with the adjustable focus types such as MAGLITE® flashlights.
The EverLED™ uses the latest LED technology and an efficient electronic
circuit to provide an ordinary flashlight with impact resistant, long
life, bright light. Because of the advanced LuxDrive™ circuitry
contained within the housing, this one bulb can be used in 1, 2, 3, 4,
5, or even 6 cell flashlights made by most any companies, including
MAGLITE® flashlights. EverLED™ uses a top quality Luxeon LED Emitter as
it's light source! $40.00

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!
TCS

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:31:20 GMT, Grandpa Koca wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

And of course, sharper image would never sell something that doesn't
work worth a damn just because it's technology driven.. (hint hint ionic
breeze hint hint).

I'd go crazy if I had to shake a flashlight every 20-30 seconds. Frankly
I'd rather do 15 minutes at work, get this miracle substance called money,
and buy batteries and be able to use a flashlight for 6 hours without having
to shake the damn thing every 20-30 seconds.

Grandpa Koca

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Didn't buy them at sharper image, just happened to be the first page
that came up on the search engine. So take your rant elsewhere. Storming
said such things didn't exist, I merely took umbrage with his statement.

I'd go crazy if I had to shake a flashlight every 20-30 seconds. Frankly
I'd rather do 15 minutes at work, get this miracle substance called money,
and buy batteries and be able to use a flashlight for 6 hours without having
to shake the damn thing every 20-30 seconds.

When I need it, I shake it a bit and use it. If I need a light for six
hours, I'll use the "shaker" to find the generator controls, or the
lanterns. Guess I got tired of replacing whole flashlights corroded with
leaking batteries - car interiors are not conducive to long term battery
storage. YM(OS)MV - Your Mileage (or sanity) May Vary.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.
Bo Williams

Grandpa Koca wrote:

[...]

When I need it, I shake it a bit and use it. If I need a light for six
hours, I'll use the "shaker" to find the generator controls, or the
lanterns. Guess I got tired of replacing whole flashlights corroded with
leaking batteries - car interiors are not conducive to long term battery
storage. YM(OS)MV - Your Mileage (or sanity) May Vary.

I turn the batteries in my car flashlights annually. Take 'em in the
house and put 'em in something that takes Ds, then put new ones in the
flashlights.

The shaker's not a bad idea, but I'd personally rather just have a good
flashlight at hand. A 4-cell Mag Lite fits perfectly in the door pocket
of my truck.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
Jim Yanik

Grandpa Koca wrote in

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...tml?sku=DK013R
[...]

Get a Surefire flashlight that runs on 3v lithium cells;they will last for
up to 10 years unused.They are high brightness,too.

CSI and other police shows use them,they make a number of different models.

www.surefire.com.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
TCS

On 24 Feb 2005 02:54:40 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:
CSI and other police shows use them,they make a number of different models.

Well... CSI's computers make card reader noises whenever they "think", beep
like something out of a buck rogers movie, and can never display text faster 50
baud. That show goes out of it's way to be as scientifically inaccurate as
possible. I love the bit about getting dna results within the minute, almost
as good as the frequency that the crime lab workers get into gun fights.

www.surefire.com.

I'll check that out. Thanks for the link.

Camilo

"David Combs" wrote in message
Are there any LED lights that can do a wide beam? Are there any that

you'd
actually consider using to light a path at night?

Sure would be nice if there was one that, like the maglites,
you could adjust the beam-width.

David, I have a petzl headlamp - has a two or three bulb LED as well as a
conventional beam which is adjustable. The LED beam has a very wide field
which works OK for on the trail but really handy for doing stuff - you know,
packing and unpacking backpack, fiddling with gear, etc. etc. I've found
that the conventional, adjustable beam is best for walking or running on a
trail, especially if you're moving quickly, but the LED is OK also.

David Combs

In article ,
Jim Yanik . wrote:
(David Combs) wrote in
:

Are there any LED lights that can do a wide beam? Are there any
that you'd actually consider using to light a path at night?

Sure would be nice if there was one that, like the maglites,
you could adjust the beam-width.
David

You can buy drop in replacements for 2 cell AA Maglites that have a 1 W
Luxeon LED,very bright. About $30 online,check Ebay.
I've heard Costco was selling a pair of 1W Luxeon 2-AA flashlights for the
same price,but couldn't find them at my local CC.

Saw them at my Costco (New Rochelle, NY), but seemed to
me to not have narrowable/spreadable adjustment.

(Was in that horrible plastic thing it (and seemingly
everything else these days) comes in, though, so
it might actually have that. But wasn't advertised
(on package) as being adjustable.)

David

David Combs

"David Combs" wrote in message
Sure would be nice if there was one that, like the maglites,
you could adjust the beam-width.

David, I have a petzl headlamp - has a two or three bulb LED as well as a
conventional beam which is adjustable. The LED beam has a very wide field
which works OK for on the trail but really handy for doing stuff - you know,
packing and unpacking backpack, fiddling with gear, etc. etc. I've found
that the conventional, adjustable beam is best for walking or running on a
trail, especially if you're moving quickly, but the LED is OK also.

That wonderful Costco -- I got a headlamp (straps around head, lamp
itself on forehead, a la coal-miner), forget the brand name, but
has *five* led-bulbs (click: 1; click; 3; click 5 on) plus, in middle,
one incandescent bult (click -- it comes on -- forget whether also
turns off the led bulbs for that one).

But no narrowing/widening.

Wonderful for reading while dwaiting for movie to start, especially
at festival where you have to get there EARLY to get a seat.

David