Default bending emt by hand.

Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.
So..... I'm guessing there was a way to do this by using a simple
conduit bender hand tool....is there?

Thank you, post your replies to this group.

later,

tom
TURTLE

wrote in message
Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.
So..... I'm guessing there was a way to do this by using a simple
conduit bender hand tool....is there?

Thank you, post your replies to this group.

later,

tom

This is Turtle.

a Many of man has tried it by hand and all I know of failed completely. It is
almost impossible to keep it from Kinking when doing it by hand. You can get a
20 to 25º Turn maybe but anymore and you kink it. Home depot sells a emt bender
for about $29.00 to $59.00 depending on the size.

Now you can try at the rent it stores and they have these benders for rent but
Price I don't know.

TURTLE

Ross Mac

wrote in message
Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.
So..... I'm guessing there was a way to do this by using a simple
conduit bender hand tool....is there?

Thank you, post your replies to this group.

later,

tom

Flexible conduit????

Duane Bozarth

TURTLE wrote:

a Many of man has tried it by hand and all I know of failed completely. It is
almost impossible to keep it from Kinking when doing it by hand. You can get a
20 to 25º Turn maybe but anymore and you kink it. ...

I've not tried w/ EMT but if you have something of appropriate size on
hand, a heavy gauge spring whose inner diameter is just larger than the
tubing will work for things like copper, etc. For an offset bend you
might get by...but as TOITLE noted, a simple hand bender ain't that
expensive for 1/2" conduit which I would guess would be what you'd be
using...

Alternative would be flex or switch to plastic for the last few inches
(if you're not using the conduit for ground as some installations
do/did--is that still in code btw?)...

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.
So..... I'm guessing there was a way to do this by using a simple
conduit bender hand tool....is there?

This is Turtle.

a Many of man has tried it by hand and all I know of failed completely. It is
almost impossible to keep it from Kinking when doing it by hand. You can get a
20 to 25º Turn maybe but anymore and you kink it. Home depot sells a emt bender
for about $29.00 to $59.00 depending on the size.

I think you mis-understood what he's trying to do: He's not trying to
bend the pipe bare-handed, he just wants to use the $12 tube-bender
instead of the $125 special offset bending tool.

You can do that just by bending a slight bend, backing up a
couple inches, and bending the other way. If you set up
on a 2x4, the first bend won't plow into the floor when you
roll the tubing over. If you keep the 2x4, you can also
nail an upright and a crosspiece so you can mark how
far to shift the pipe and how far to pull the handle.

Waldo Point

wrote in message
Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.
So..... I'm guessing there was a way to do this by using a simple
conduit bender hand tool....is there?

Thank you, post your replies to this group.

later,

tom

If your only bending 1 or 2.. pack the tubing with sand so it won't kink
when you bend it

waldo

TURTLE

wrote in message
Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.
So..... I'm guessing there was a way to do this by using a simple
conduit bender hand tool....is there?

Thank you, post your replies to this group.

later,

tom

This is Turtle.

I stand corrected here and you do have a cheap set of emt benders. You can do
anything you want including the rolling off set with a set of benders. I just
bend in the reverse side for the off set of the roll. Left handed people will
under stand this for they have to look at everything backwards.

TURTLE

Matt

Zactly. Was waiting for someone to point that out.

bumtracks

I cant bend pipe, it goes the wrong way and the old boss used to say I used
way too many couplings.
heres some instructions with pretty pictures ...
http://www.elliottelectric.com/1051/...uitbending.asp

wrote in message
Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.
So..... I'm guessing there was a way to do this by using a simple
conduit bender hand tool....is there?

Thank you, post your replies to this group.

later,

tom

Greg O

wrote in message
Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.

Don't bother bending the conduit! Shop around, I buy offset conduit fittings
with the "kick" in them already.
Greg

G. Morgan

Subject: bending emt by hand.
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Greg O = wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.

Don't bother bending the conduit! Shop around, I buy offset conduit fittings
with the "kick" in them already.

What exactly did you NOT understand when he wrote: "I..don't want to spend money
on offset fittings"???

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Greg O

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Greg O = wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.

Don't bother bending the conduit! Shop around, I buy offset conduit

fittings
with the "kick" in them already.

What exactly did you NOT understand when he wrote: "I..don't want to spend

money
on offset fittings"???

Oh hell! Never mind! I missed that!
(still my recomendation though!!)
Greg

Duane Bozarth

Greg O wrote:

Oh hell! Never mind! I missed that!
(still my recomendation though!!)

It's easy to miss when trying not to take too much time...shoot, I
thought he said he didn't have (and didn't want to buy) a hand bender
tool, too...

willshak

On 1/14/2005 10:11 AM US(ET), Duane Bozarth took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

Greg O wrote:

Oh hell! Never mind! I missed that!
(still my recomendation though!!)

It's easy to miss when trying not to take too much time...shoot, I
thought he said he didn't have (and didn't want to buy) a hand bender
tool, too...

What I got from the OP's post.
1. The OP doesn't want to buy an EMT bender (which my electrician friend
calls a 'Hickey').
2. He doesn't want to buy or use pre-made offset fittings.
3. He wants to know if there is a 'hand tool' to bend conduit.

I do not know of a hand tool bender, other than the hand and foot held
'Hickey'.
If there was a bender that could be held in the hands, one would have to
be pretty strong to bend conduit with just the hands.
Even by filling the conduit with sand to prevent kinks while bending
without a 'Hickey' or hand tool, the sand would only add to the amount
of power needed to bend the conduit.
The only solution would be to find someone with a 'Hickey' to bend the
conduit, be it a relative, friend, or neighbor (I have one and am not an
electrician), or some electrical installer or supply house.

--
Bill
DJ

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:59:32 -0500, willshak
wrote:

snip
[...]

Boy, for such a short post, seems like everyone is reading impaired
today. G

He does not want to buy a "offset bender" and wants to know if this
can be done with a "hand tool".

I consider a normal "manual" EMT bender to be a hand tool, even though
feet may be involved.

Others have posted how to do an offset with the hand bender. Another
idea might be to count the number of offsets, take that many pieces to
an electrical contractor and have them run the pieces through the
offset bender the use couplings. Show up near quitting time with some
adult beverages, might just get it done for no further cost...

--original post--
Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.
So..... I'm guessing there was a way to do this by using a simple
conduit bender hand tool....is there?

tom

DJ
bumtracks

If he was to get lucky and find a matched pair of 1/2 & 3/4 greenlee's on
auction, he might afford them if no else one bids.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Greg O wrote:

Oh hell! Never mind! I missed that!
(still my recomendation though!!)

It's easy to miss when trying not to take too much time...shoot, I
thought he said he didn't have (and didn't want to buy) a hand bender
tool, too...

What I got from the OP's post.
1. The OP doesn't want to buy an EMT bender (which my electrician friend
calls a 'Hickey').

I have to get an emt bender, about $25 at HD. this=
http://www.chopurl.com?516

I was asking if there was a way to make offesets WITHOUT a 'offset
bender' ('a 'kicker') this= http://www.chopurl.com?515 This is over
$150.

So my question was there a simple way to do offsets with the simple
hand bender? Maybe a series of photos, a vendor movie, etc.....

Thank you for your replies.

tom

2. He doesn't want to buy or use pre-made offset fittings.
3. He wants to know if there is a 'hand tool' to bend conduit.

I do not know of a hand tool bender, other than the hand and foot held
'Hickey'.
If there was a bender that could be held in the hands, one would have to
be pretty strong to bend conduit with just the hands.
Even by filling the conduit with sand to prevent kinks while bending
without a 'Hickey' or hand tool, the sand would only add to the amount
of power needed to bend the conduit.
The only solution would be to find someone with a 'Hickey' to bend the
conduit, be it a relative, friend, or neighbor (I have one and am not an
electrician), or some electrical installer or supply house.

Greg O

wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:59:32 -0500, willshak

So my question was there a simple way to do offsets with the simple
hand bender? Maybe a series of photos, a vendor movie, etc.....

Thank you for your replies.

tom

You can bend offsets with a conduit bender, I have done it, but I am no way
qualified to tell someone how to do it!

Same way you learn piano, practice, practice, practice!
Greg

willshak

On 1/14/2005 4:49 PM US(ET), took

http://www.idealindustries.com/pdf/bendguid.pdf

2. He doesn't want to buy or use pre-made offset fittings.
3. He wants to know if there is a 'hand tool' to bend conduit.

I do not know of a hand tool bender, other than the hand and foot held
'Hickey'.
If there was a bender that could be held in the hands, one would have to
be pretty strong to bend conduit with just the hands.
Even by filling the conduit with sand to prevent kinks while bending
without a 'Hickey' or hand tool, the sand would only add to the amount
of power needed to bend the conduit.
The only solution would be to find someone with a 'Hickey' to bend the
conduit, be it a relative, friend, or neighbor (I have one and am not an
electrician), or some electrical installer or supply house.

--
Bill
Greg G

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:10:29 -0500,
wrote:

Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and
don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes.
So..... I'm guessing there was a way to do this by using a simple
conduit bender hand tool....is there?

I'm not experienced enough to teach you how, especially long-distance,
text only. But I have done it, and I discovered a trick that made it
easier for me. And this is Usenet, after all, where any idiot can pose
as an expert.

There are 2 bends to make, of course. I make the one closer to the end
of the tubing first. How much do I bend it? I don't really know. A
little. Then I turn the tubing around, putting it about as far into
the bender as it will go.

Here's the trick. I put it on the floor at the threshold of my garage.
There's a drop-off of about an inch and a half in the floor level
there, which allows the bent part of the conduit to face "down" while
still allowing the bender to touch the ground. I suspect that this
could be done on a 2x4 if your topography isn't suitable.

I bend it until the previously "bent" part is now parallel to the
ground again. A fair percentage of the time I get it right. Buy extra
tubing and START with the offset end. If you screw it up, cut it off
and do it again.

There's another reason besides cost to bend your own offsets. In my
experience, wire pulls through tubing a lot more easily than through
any kind of connector, so the fewer of them you use the better.

Greg Guarino

On 1/14/2005 4:49 PM US(ET), took

Greg O wrote:

Oh hell! Never mind! I missed that!
(still my recomendation though!!)

It's easy to miss when trying not to take too much time...shoot, I
thought he said he didn't have (and didn't want to buy) a hand bender
tool, too...

What I got from the OP's post.
1. The OP doesn't want to buy an EMT bender (which my electrician friend
calls a 'Hickey').

I have to get an emt bender, about $25 at HD. this=
http://www.chopurl.com?516

I was asking if there was a way to make offesets WITHOUT a 'offset
bender' ('a 'kicker') this= http://www.chopurl.com?515 This is over
$150.

So my question was there a simple way to do offsets with the simple
hand bender? Maybe a series of photos, a vendor movie, etc.....

Thank you for your replies.

http://www.idealindustries.com/pdf/bendguid.pdf

Thank you so much, but I've seen this. The level of detail is weak,
for me, and even the chart's smallest offest is like 2" and for 1/2"
emt, it think the offset is very small to pop into a box.

Thank you,

tom

2. He doesn't want to buy or use pre-made offset fittings.
3. He wants to know if there is a 'hand tool' to bend conduit.

I do not know of a hand tool bender, other than the hand and foot held
'Hickey'.
If there was a bender that could be held in the hands, one would have to
be pretty strong to bend conduit with just the hands.
Even by filling the conduit with sand to prevent kinks while bending
without a 'Hickey' or hand tool, the sand would only add to the amount
of power needed to bend the conduit.
The only solution would be to find someone with a 'Hickey' to bend the
conduit, be it a relative, friend, or neighbor (I have one and am not an
electrician), or some electrical installer or supply house.

Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department Postmaster

Greg O wrote:

[...]

Guys we need to listen louder. The bender that he did not want to buy
is called a "little kicker". It is manufactured by Greenlee and sells
for about $160.00. He has a regular bender. He is asking for good
technique for making box offsets with a regular bender. He would like
to avoid buying offset fittings or a single purpose box offset bender.
--
Tom H
DanG

Yes there is a simple way to do offsets with a normal wheel
bender. I say this to differentiate from a hickey bender. They
are not the same tool.
Offsets have been made for years with wheel benders. The offset
benders are a fairly new development. They are efficient but I
know many electricians who did not buy them when they came out and
stayed with the old fashioned method. Most won't get it out for 1
or 2 offsets.
You can see several he
http://198.247.193.8/wwwroot/greenlee/bending.pdf

Several people have told you to go to a couple of different sites
to see how it is done. If you are going to buy a new wheel
bender, they usually come with a small booklet or drawing showing
you how to use it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

[...]

bumtracks

http://www.hatvideo.com/videodownloads.html
How to Bend Conduit With a Hand Bender
pretty good instructions for offsets on a pdf download there.

some handy multipliers for depth of offset with angle of bends, example;
30degree bend 3/4 offset would be 3/4 x 2 mark seperation = 1.5"

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:58:16 GMT, "bumtracks"
wrote:

http://www.hatvideo.com/videodownloads.html
How to Bend Conduit With a Hand Bender
pretty good instructions for offsets on a pdf download there.

some handy multipliers for depth of offset with angle of bends, example;
30degree bend 3/4 offset would be 3/4 x 2 mark seperation = 1.5"

The pdf explained how to do a quick 'box offset' what I'm guessing I
need to pop emt into handy boxes. Sounds quick and easy, no
mulitpliers(which was confusing the heck out of me for such a small
offset). Just two 10degree bends bend-to-bend.

Thanks!

later,

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

G. Morgan

Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department Postmaster = wrote:

Guys we need to listen louder.

I understood him just fine.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
FarmerJim

Guess you'll hate me for this, but I bought a pair of Greenlee kickers
on Ebay, 1/2" and 3/4", and the finished work looks so good
I cream my jeans just looking at it.

And yes, these bends can be made with a hand bender - when
an accomplished pro does them they look good. Practice,
practice, practice.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:15:29 -0500, FarmerJim wrote:

Guess you'll hate me for this, but I bought a pair of Greenlee kickers
on Ebay, 1/2" and 3/4", and the finished work looks so good
I cream my jeans just looking at it.

Ugggg, better get some new jeans off ebay too!

And yes, these bends can be made with a hand bender - when
an accomplished pro does them they look good. Practice,
practice, practice.

thanks.

tom @ www.Stuff4Free.biz