Keith Marshall

Default scroll bending jig

If you just need to do scrolls you can purchase the $20 scroll bending
attachment for Harbor Freight's compact bender and build a base for it very
easily. Here's the bender:

And here's an example of a simple base:

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/Products/sb.htm

The base could very easily be made with a piece of 2" square tubing with a
few 5/8" holes drilled in it for the pins.

If you want to be able to do other bends as well you can often find the
benchtop version of their compact bender on sale for $50.

There's also an older type of scroll jig that looks like a ready-made scroll
that you bend your scroll around but I can't find a picture of one for an
example and I've never used one so I don't really know much about them.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"The universe is full of magical things,
patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934
"Sam" wrote in message
om...
hi there.

Today tried bending some scrolls for fun out of 5mm x 12mm flat bar. i
bent them on 3 bolts welded inline onto a thicker flatbar. the bolts
were 2,4 and 10cm from the end of the flatbar.the flatbar is held in a
vice.
The material was surprisingly easy to bend. the problem i had was that
i dont think i have the bolts in the right place. instead of helping
me one or the other would always be in the way.
I am trying to make scrolls which look like a 9 (sort of) with the
loop diameter 15cm. The scroll bending machines I saw are pretty
pricey but ready made scrolls are cheap.
I read earlier posts in this group mentioning custom jigs which did
not need that cam connected to the handle featured in commercial
scroll benders but there was little info on where to put the
bolts/pins to bend against or which part to start bending first.
Anyone have experience with making scrolls?any clue what i am i doing
wrong?

Rgds,
Sam

Pipe Bending TOGGY UK diy 56 May 25th 04 11:05 PM
ferm scroll saw Zipadee Doodar UK diy 1 March 21st 04 09:24 PM
Rexon scroll saw - any good? David Kerr UK diy 1 February 9th 04 06:55 PM