DanG

Yes there is a simple way to do offsets with a normal wheel
bender. I say this to differentiate from a hickey bender. They
are not the same tool.
Offsets have been made for years with wheel benders. The offset
benders are a fairly new development. They are efficient but I
know many electricians who did not buy them when they came out and
stayed with the old fashioned method. Most won't get it out for 1
or 2 offsets.
You can see several he
http://198.247.193.8/wwwroot/greenlee/bending.pdf

Several people have told you to go to a couple of different sites
to see how it is done. If you are going to buy a new wheel
bender, they usually come with a small booklet or drawing showing
you how to use it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:59:32 -0500, willshak

wrote:

On 1/14/2005 10:11 AM US(ET), Duane Bozarth took fingers to
keys, and
typed the following:

Greg O wrote:

Oh hell! Never mind! I missed that!
(still my recomendation though!!)

It's easy to miss when trying not to take too much
time...shoot, I
thought he said he didn't have (and didn't want to buy) a hand
bender
tool, too...

What I got from the OP's post.
1. The OP doesn't want to buy an EMT bender (which my
electrician friend
calls a 'Hickey').

I have to get an emt bender, about $25 at HD. this=
http://www.chopurl.com?516

I was asking if there was a way to make offesets WITHOUT a
'offset
bender' ('a 'kicker') this= http://www.chopurl.com?515 This
is over
$150.

So my question was there a simple way to do offsets with the
simple
hand bender? Maybe a series of photos, a vendor movie, etc.....

Thank you for your replies.

tom

2. He doesn't want to buy or use pre-made offset fittings.
3. He wants to know if there is a 'hand tool' to bend conduit.

I do not know of a hand tool bender, other than the hand and
foot held
'Hickey'.
If there was a bender that could be held in the hands, one would
have to
be pretty strong to bend conduit with just the hands.
Even by filling the conduit with sand to prevent kinks while
bending
without a 'Hickey' or hand tool, the sand would only add to the
amount
of power needed to bend the conduit.
The only solution would be to find someone with a 'Hickey' to
bend the
conduit, be it a relative, friend, or neighbor (I have one and
am not an
electrician), or some electrical installer or supply house.