Buck Turgidson

Default AprilAire Humidistat

I have an AprilAire. It seems that when I turn the humidistat to the point
of right where it clicks on, the humidifier runs with each and every furnace
cycle. If I turn it until it just clicks off, it never runs with any
furnace cycle.

I guess I would expect that setting it right at the brink would make the
humidifier run occasionally. But my house goes from either being a desert,
to having moss and ferns growing on the walls.

Should it behave like this, or do I need to replace the humidistat? I would
be interested in hearing from other AprilAire owners.

I have the model that sits on the cold-air return side. The humidistat is
also on the cold-air return duct. Maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe
it should be on the hot side.

Joseph Meehan

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have an AprilAire. It seems that when I turn the humidistat to the
point of right where it clicks on, the humidifier runs with each and
every furnace cycle. If I turn it until it just clicks off, it never
runs with any furnace cycle.

I guess I would expect that setting it right at the brink would make
the humidifier run occasionally. But my house goes from either being
a desert, to having moss and ferns growing on the walls.

Should it behave like this, or do I need to replace the humidistat?
I would be interested in hearing from other AprilAire owners.

I have the model that sits on the cold-air return side. The
humidistat is also on the cold-air return duct. Maybe that's part of
the problem. Maybe it should be on the hot side.

You really need to check the installation manual to determine how that
should be set up. On mine the sensor is not a humidity sensor it is a out
side temperature sensor that reduces the humidity setting when the
temperature outside gets cold to avoid condensation on the windows. Your
owners manual should give you some information as well. Yours may be
different than mine.

Either way I don't think it should not run unless the indoor humidity is
rather high already. You may have a bad wire or connection.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

HvacTech2

Hi Tony, hope you are having a nice day

On 16-Dec-04 At About 01:03:01, Tony Hwang wrote to All
Subject: AprilAire Humidistat

TH From: Tony Hwang

TH Hi, If the 'stat is mounted on the cold air return duct, I don't
TH think it's measuring humidity of your living space, like your living
TH room or hallway. Wouldn't it be common sense? Actually RH is
TH function of DEW point which relates to temperature and moisture in
TH the air. We are not measuring absolute humidity, we're measuring
TH RH in this case. Tony

Actually it is measuring space humidity. where do you think the return air
comes from?

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "And when you add them, they magically become one new number."

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Tony Hwang

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have an AprilAire. It seems that when I turn the humidistat to the point
of right where it clicks on, the humidifier runs with each and every furnace
cycle. If I turn it until it just clicks off, it never runs with any
furnace cycle.

I guess I would expect that setting it right at the brink would make the
humidifier run occasionally. But my house goes from either being a desert,
to having moss and ferns growing on the walls.

Should it behave like this, or do I need to replace the humidistat? I would
be interested in hearing from other AprilAire owners.

I have the model that sits on the cold-air return side. The humidistat is
also on the cold-air return duct. Maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe
it should be on the hot side.

Hi,
Maybe the 'stat is located in wrong place? Mine is on the living room
wall next to thermostat.
Tony
Tony
toller

The unit I got last year is completely different than the one it replaced.
First thing to do is check your owners manual.
Second thing is to contact Aprilair.
Third thing is to repost here, with more information on what you have.

Buck Turgidson

"toller" wrote in message
The unit I got last year is completely different than the one it replaced.
First thing to do is check your owners manual.
Second thing is to contact Aprilair.
Third thing is to repost here, with more information on what you have.

It is model number 560, as shown here. They have a humidistat that looks
like mine for $50. I'd guess I need to research it more to see if is
working properly.

http://www.ontimemall.com/aprilaire560parts.html

I have an Aprilaire that is the powered model. The humidstat goes on
the cold air return plenum. There is also a temp sensor that goes
outside. It's function is to reduce the humidity as the temp decreases
outside. From the behavior sited, it sounds like the humidistat is
bad. If it's set just short of the point where it would turn on, then
with the heating system running regularly, it should come on before too
long. Sounds like its broken and you essentially have just an on/off
switch.

Tony Hwang

Buck Turgidson wrote:
"toller" wrote in message

The unit I got last year is completely different than the one it replaced.
First thing to do is check your owners manual.
Second thing is to contact Aprilair.
Third thing is to repost here, with more information on what you have.

It is model number 560, as shown here. They have a humidistat that looks
like mine for $50. I'd guess I need to research it more to see if is
working properly.

http://www.ontimemall.com/aprilaire560parts.html

Hi,
If the 'stat is mounted on the cold air return duct, I don't think it's
measuring humidity of your living space, like your living room or
hallway. Wouldn't it be common sense? Actually RH is function of DEW
point which relates to temperature and moisture in the air. We are not
measuring absolute humidity, we're measuring RH in this case.
Tony

Alice Beach

Sorrr Toney, but I have to intergect. I think you have good intentions,
but, not a clue as to pyhsics. Dew point has to do with the saturation
point compaired to temperature, not relative humidity. Relative
humidity is just that...the relatioship of dry air molecules and wet air
molecules, absolute humidity has to do with the amount or wet air
molecules per pound of atmosphere.
Again your intentions are noble, but, you need to understand physics
before you quote any!!!!!
Lesson..........Dew point is the point at which saturation is reached
and the temperature corisponds to allow a change of state from vapor to
liquid...or...sublimation...look it up. A can of soda on a hot day
causes condensation on the surface between the two temperatures allowing
vapor ( water ) to change state to a liquid.
The question was one of Enthalpy, ever heard of that? Before you
respond do some homework and in particular the " Mollier " diagram.
And do not confuse Ethalpy with Entropy...there will be a test...lol
No offence intended, it is just that those that think they understand
HVAC trade, dont have a clue as to the true natureof physics, or the
laws of thermal dynamics.
Example.....If you think you do know these things..name, Charles,
doyels, and Boltons laws or pressure, temperature and volume, ......name
them and I willl then be impressed

Tony Hwang

HvacTech2 wrote:
[...]

To be precise, it depends the location of 'stat on the duct in reference
of moisture injection point. My brother-in-law is a HVAC engineer.chief
estimator for major commercial outfit. I asked him what is "space
moisture" and he said, "What is it?"
Tony

HvacTech2

Hi Tony, hope you are having a nice day

On 16-Dec-04 At About 03:08:06, Tony Hwang wrote to All

TH From: Tony Hwang

TH HvacTech2 wrote:
Hi Tony, hope you are having a nice day On 16-Dec-04 At About
01:03:01, Tony Hwang wrote to All Subject: AprilAire Humidistat

TH Hi, To be precise, it depends the location of 'stat on the duct in
TH reference of moisture injection point.

I would hope that an hvac tech would know to put the stat in before the
humidifier to get a proper reading of space RH my point is that using a
return humidistat is normal and as good a reading as a wall type humidistat.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "....give me a second...I'm thinking!!!"

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Tony Hwang

Alice Beach wrote:
[...]

Yep, I slipped my mouth there. Should read DEW point is function of temp
and mositure.
PV/T=P'V'/T'? Is that Doyels? D should read B?
Tony

And exactly how you measure humidity doesn't explain the basic fact
that the problem humidistat is not responding at all. The OP clearly
stated that he set it just short of the point that would make it come
on immeadiately. In a house where it's cold enough outside that the
heating system is running frequently, the humidifier should then come
on soon thereafter and start running occasionally to keep the humidity
up. His humidistat only turns it either on continuosly or off,
depending on where he sets it. Definitely sounds like it's failed and
simple to replace.

Tony Hwang wrote:

...RH is function of DEW point which relates to temperature and moisture
in the air.

The dew point only depends on the moisture content.

The RH also depends on the air temperature.

Nick

Buck Turgidson

And exactly how you measure humidity doesn't explain the basic fact
that the problem humidistat is not responding at all. The OP clearly
stated that he set it just short of the point that would make it come
on immeadiately. In a house where it's cold enough outside that the
heating system is running frequently, the humidifier should then come
on soon thereafter and start running occasionally to keep the humidity
up. His humidistat only turns it either on continuosly or off,
depending on where he sets it. Definitely sounds like it's failed and
simple to replace.

Thanks for reading carefully!

Stormin Mormon

As a heating and AC guy, I've installed more than several Aprilaire
humidifier. Sounds like you've got a bad humidistat. Yes, it's supposed to
be in the cold return side. Yes, some of them have a sensor that goes
outdoors.

Yes, replace the humidistat.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have an AprilAire. It seems that when I turn the humidistat to the point
of right where it clicks on, the humidifier runs with each and every furnace
cycle. If I turn it until it just clicks off, it never runs with any
furnace cycle.

I guess I would expect that setting it right at the brink would make the
humidifier run occasionally. But my house goes from either being a desert,
to having moss and ferns growing on the walls.

Should it behave like this, or do I need to replace the humidistat? I would
be interested in hearing from other AprilAire owners.

I have the model that sits on the cold-air return side. The humidistat is
also on the cold-air return duct. Maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe
it should be on the hot side.

Tekkie

Stumped Moron posted for all of us....

As a heating and AC guy, I've installed more than several Aprilaire
humidifier. Sounds like you've got a bad humidistat. Yes, it's supposed to
be in the cold return side. Yes, some of them have a sensor that goes
outdoors.

Yes, replace the humidistat.

I guess i will leave this alone because nobody can get hurt or killed by
taking his advice; however wrong it may be...
--
Tekkie
Alice Beach

Hi Tony,
actually each man looked at the corrisponding change from one of the
three, alladding up to the fact that if one is altered that a change
occurs in one of the others. It is not a simple equation of one divided
by the other, rather a ratio of what changes when one is raised or
lowered.
I am assuming you are a hvac tech, and if so, I applaud you. Most
techs are not concerned with how things work, just what to do.
Here is another test....What law is this....................The
electromagnetive force is dirrectly proportional to the current flow and
inversly proportional to the resistance??
Give an example of where this would apply in our field.
I am not trying to show any superiority here, I am actually excited to
find another tech interested in the physics of what our field is about.

What the hell are you implying is wrong? The Aprilaire modes do have a
humidistat thats mounted in the return and some models also have an
outside temp sensor. I know, because I have one and can also read an
installation manual.

Bob

Trader I don't think Alice knows what he's talking about. He's just trying
to impress people with something he literally knows nothing about, but
thinks he does.
I have an Aprilaire 600 and am well satisfied with it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
What the hell are you implying is wrong? The Aprilaire modes do have a
humidistat thats mounted in the return and some models also have an
outside temp sensor. I know, because I have one and can also read an
installation manual.

Alice Beach

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, but do you comprehend
what you read??
First the statement I dont know what I am talking about......can you
tell me where I am wrong with any of my statements on physics or are you
just spouting off. There is nothing I have said about the laws of
physics that you cannot look up. Care to write back and prove me
wrong?? Not just with accusations but facts?
Second if you are comprehending what you read, you would realize that
I am not addressing the april-air issue, I am conversing with another
tech that is in the minority and one that should be sought after for his
skills and desire to be a true trouble-shooter.
I hope this does not fall into the catigory that your response does,
rather explain that a couple of knowledge-able techs are having a
conversation.
Again if I am wrong prove it, dont just spout that I am, any adiot can
do that.

Michael Baugh

You didn't mention the answer to the Alice question.
Three letters, starts with "O". Include application.

Bob wrote in message
Trader I don't think Alice knows what he's talking about. He's just trying
to impress people with something he literally knows nothing about, but
thinks he does.

Stormin Mormon

Who are you talking to?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
What the hell are you implying is wrong? The Aprilaire modes do have a
humidistat thats mounted in the return and some models also have an
outside temp sensor. I know, because I have one and can also read an
installation manual.

Duane Bozarth

Alice Beach wrote:

You might get more respect if you did a spell-check, Alice...

Even giving you the occasional typo, your spelling and grammar are
atrocious...

interject compared corresponds offense Doyle
it's "thermodynamics" not "thermal dynamics"

And, there's a definite relationship between dewpoint, temperature (wet
and dry), and relative humidity...it's how it's measured...the other is
reasonably correct, albeit not very precisely/well stated. (That is,
it's in the neighborhood, but nobody from CalTech is going to be calling
soon...).

Duane Bozarth wrote:

...there's a definite relationship between dewpoint, temperature (wet
and dry), and relative humidity...

Indeed. Td = Ta/(1-Taln(R)/9621), approximately, with the Ts in degrees
Rankine and R = RH/100. For instance, 70 F (460+70=530 R) air at 50% RH
has dew point Td = 530/(1-532ln(0.5)/9621) = 510.5 R, ie 50.5 F.

Nick

Alice Beach

You are correct,that my keyboard sticks and that I don't take time to
spell check and check my grammar. Although your response included some
errors....smile
I say again, put down into words the " laws " of physics that you are
accusing me of mis-stating. anyone can simply say you are wrong. And
read the context of my words....where did I say there was not a
relationship of any two laws, ie., dew point and relative humidity? If
you were as good at reading comprehension as you are at spell checking,
you would have heard I pointed out that r/h is not a " function " of dew
point.
If you are so knowledgable why not put down the truth as you see it
that am wrong about instead of words with nothing but a personal
statement to back them up, or are you that guy that backs things up with
" I said so " statements.
And last but not least......CAN YOU READ.....I stated that this is a
conversation between myself and another service tech that I admire for
his knowledge and quest for knowledge in our respective trade.
P.S. Not planning on Cal-Tech, but dare you to put me in the lower
percentile of any hvac tech you have met or had dealings with. Ask the
next one to your house about the laws of physics that are the base of
his/her trade, I think you will be shocked at the lack of basics they
posses

Duane Bozarth

Alice Beach wrote:

I didn't say you were wrong exactly, just not precise nor clear...your
description leaves much to be inferred that could be easily
misinterpreted.

I doubt seriously I'd be shocked at all at the lack of basic knowledge
of almost any segment of the general population, unfortunately. Given
the level of comprehension of some of the engineering graduates I
interviewed is enough to disabuse one of the thought that all
graduates of any institution are deserving...

I'm only pointing out that if you have any hope of convincing anyone you
really do know something, you'll have a lot more success if your
postings reflect at least a modicum of education/care...if you know
spelling is a challenge, for example, taking a little extra care would
seem only prudent.

Bob

Why does Alice always come up with all his BULL **** when all one wants to
know is some simple advice on ones AprilAire humidifier. Who he trying to
impress with his gleaming generalities? Maybe himself.

"HvacTech2" wrote in message

Hi Alice, hope you are having a nice day

On 17-Dec-04 At About 02:05:07, Alice Beach wrote to All

AB From: (Alice Beach)

AB I stated that this is a conversation between myself
AB and another service tech that I admire for his knowledge and quest
AB for knowledge in our respective trade.

Tony hwang is not a tech and doesn't really display too much "Knowledge"
of the trade.

-= HvacTech2 =-

.. "Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Tekkie

posted for all of us....

I was replying to Tekki's post reprinted below:

Stumped Moron posted for all of us....

As a heating and AC guy, I've installed more than several Aprilaire
humidifier. Sounds like you've got a bad humidistat. Yes, it's

supposed to
be in the cold return side. Yes, some of them have a sensor that goes
outdoors.

Yes, replace the humidistat.

I guess i will leave this alone because nobody can get hurt or killed
by
taking his advice; however wrong it may be...

Hey trader top poster it's Tekkie. Anyway if you knew Stumped Morons legacy
of hacked, dangerous, illegal and unknowledgeable advice you would know what
I am posting about rather than going off half cocked.

I don't know if the question has been answered but it's Ohms law used in
figuring wire sizes, voltage drop, etc.
--
Tekkie
Don Wiss

On Thu, 17 Dec 2004 05:56:24, HvacTech2 wrote:

I would hope that an hvac tech would know to put the stat in before the
humidifier to get a proper reading of space RH my point is that using a
return humidistat is normal and as good a reading as a wall type humidistat.

Not the fellow that installed mine! He put it on the supply, despite my
arguing that made no sense. And I went through two or three AutoTrac
humidistats. None ever worked. I don't know whether being on the supply
destroyed them, or they are simply prone to failure. So he ended up simply
wiring the two humidifiers to go on whenever the furnace is on.

So far this has not been a problem. The house has a huge volume, ancient
leaky windows, and an oversized furnace (200,000 BTUs) that doesn't run too
much. But I am replacing the windows soon. It may become a problem. Or
maybe not.

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Stormin Mormon

Don, sounds like the installer wasn't reading the directons that come with.

--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
[...]

Oscar_Lives

wrote in message
oups.com...
What the hell are you implying is wrong? The Aprilaire modes do have a
humidistat thats mounted in the return and some models also have an
outside temp sensor. I know, because I have one and can also read an
installation manual.

Bull****. Read the manual again.

And exactly what are you adding in the way of useful information, or
even any info at all? Any imbecile can take up posting space saying
"BS", it's only a little harder to come up with some facts, so what
exactly is your point? BTW, I don't have to read the manual again, I
installed one 5 years ago, it's just as I described and it's working
perfectly.

m Ransley

True April air has a model with outdoor sensor for temp and the control
is mounted on the return, it tracks temp to constantly adjust humidity
to outdoor temp. I have one also