M.Burns

Default FLA. Humidistat vs Thermostat operation?

Recently got a small place in FLA, but we're not there in the summer and I
don't understand how the humidistat and thermostat work with each other ..if
they do.
When we are there, we set humidistat to "on", and the A/C thermostat to
"System "on", and mid 70's temperature.

However, what are the proper settings for an exended absence?
I changed the humidstat to "70" instead of "on", but then noticed the
digital A/C thermostat cannot be bumped to 85. It appears the thermostat
can only be set to a higher temperature when the humidstat is in the "on"
position.
What is controlling the humidity and temperature when the humidistat is set
on "70" (and if so, is the thermostat controlling anything?).
What's going on?
Thanks.

Joseph Meehan

Humidistat generally control dehumidifiers or humiditifiers.
Thermostats control heating and A/C units. I would expect separate controls
if you have both a humidifier (I doubt if you have one in FL USA).

I would want the dehumidifier to run much the same when I was there and
when I was not. I am not sure what the "ON" would be however other than it
may turn the unit on full time and not allow it to turn off. I would rather
allow it to run as needed. The numbers, which are likely to be
approximations at best, should represent percentage of humidity, not
temperature. However I have seen some units that did have a temperature
setting, but I am not sure exactly what it was doing this that setting.

It would be good if you had the manuals for those things, you know the
ones someone threw away when the got them.

It might also help if you could tell us the make and model involved.

In short the thermostat does not directly control humidity and the
humidistat does not control temperature. The only connections between the
two may be two, running heat or A/C can change the humidity and a humidity
control unit may be set up to use the HVAC air handling equipment and work
when it is on.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"M.Burns" wrote in message
[...]

Martin

I should have mentioned that if the system you have can be arranged to
operate as ours does, make sure that the humidistat is not left in the fully
"on" position. That will keep the AC running continuously regardless of the
humidity and temperature.

"M.Burns" wrote in message
[...]

TURTLE

"M.Burns" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

Awwwwwwwww, Your not explaining yourself very well here. When you say you
can't bumb the temperature up to 85ºF on the thermostat at 70% RH setting on
Humitistat. Do you mean the thermostat will not move up to 85ºF on the
thermostat or do you mean the air will not go off at a setting of 85ºF with
the humitistat set at 70% RH. Do you have seperate humitistat from the
Digital thermostat or are they built together like in a Carrier type
thermostat? If you have seperate humitistat beside the digital thermostat
and you try to move the digital thermostat setting up to 85ºF and it will
not move. You have something wrong with your thermostat and needs to be
changed or see what is causing this problem. The digital or any thermostat
should go where you want it too with or without a Humitistat on it. I know
of no way you can wire a system like this to cause it to not got to where
you want to set it.

E-Mail me if you would like to get some answers in detail but with the info
here. I don't know what your wanting to know. I install and work on these
items all the time and can explain anything about them you want to know if i
know what you want to know.

Now here is a guess as to what you want to know.

You ask what setting would you want to set the two thermostat when you gone
for a good while like months.
A) Set the humitistat on 90% RH or 90 on the scale. This will keep the
house dry and have no mildew from in the house while your gone. The cooling
will keep the Relitive Humitity 90% or less. This will not let moisture form
on any part your house inside.
B) Set the thermostat to 90ºF for if you have no pets, fish, Turtles,
gators, or anything living in the house. the 90ºF setting will be ok for
refrigerators and or freezers to run properly. Refrigerator , freezers, and
other cooling devices will tell you to keep the temperature below 95ºF and
they will work fine.

There is 3 ways to wire the humitistat to any type thermostat.

1) In series with thermostat yellow 24 volt control to condenser to cut
cooling off at very low RH days such as 10% or 20% RH. They say you don't
need cooling at say a 10% RH day and even when it gets to 100ºF in the
house. I think it is a bunch of hog wash but hey some engineer is making a
living telling this.

2) In Parallel with the cooling system such as it will jump out R and Y
but may need to add G to turn on fan if furnace or thermostat will not turn
fan on with R and Y jumped.

3) In Parallel with the cooling system such as it will be jumped out O and
Y terminals of thermostat which will let the cooling run in conjuction with
the thermostat terminal Y and R . O to Y and then R to Y will both have to
be satisfied for cooling to cut off.

TURTLE

M.Burns

Thanks. Sorry I didn't explain the situation better. My humidistat is
separate from the thermometer. And I was unable to reset the temperature on
the thermostat to 85 unless the humidistat is set to "On"( instead of a
humidity level number). When I set the humidstat to 70 (percent humidity),
the number on the digital thermostat could not be changed. When I set the
humidstat back to the "On" position, then I COULD change the thermostat
setting. Which lead me to believe if the humidistat is set at 70, the
thermostat may not be controlling anything. That is, the A/C unit may only
come on if the humidity went over 70, but possibly the temperature may go
higher than I want without the A/C coming on.
I'll contact the heating/cooling people that installed the digital
thermostat (they had replaced the air handler and the rooftop A/C unit at
the same time). It must be the way they wired the controls
Thanks again.

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"M.Burns" wrote in message
[...]

can't bump the temperature up to 85ºF on the thermostat at 70% RH setting

Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 03:29 PM
Boiler Programmable Thermostat Trips RCD? Rich UK diy 1 September 16th 03 05:23 PM