Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmower rope easy to pull

While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR writes:

While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise
and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer
than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly
had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

I have an electric (Ego self propelled battery powered). I love it.
No gas, no noise, push button start, folds up for storage, light.
I've had it for a year now. Makes mowing a pleasure.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 10:06:15 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Consumer Reports battery push mowers.
Ryobi RY401200 Rated 79. Has only a 40 minute run time. $480.
DR Power Equipment CE75021XEN0. Rated 77. 80 minute run time. $600
Hart HLPM011 Rated 70. 70 minute run time. $248.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2021 11:06 AM, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

My neighbor has an electric and it works well. We have small lawns
though, now sure how well it would be for a large one. He walks at a
good pace and it cuts easily in one pass.

If your mowing is a half hour or so, I'd go electric. If a couple of
hours, I'd go gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2021 12:46 PM, Heywood wrote:
On 4/12/2021 11:06 AM, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise
and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer
than it should.Â* And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric?Â* I've certainly
had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

My neighbor has an electric and it works well.Â* We have small lawns
though, now sure how well it would be for a large one. He walks at a
good pace and it cuts easily in one pass.

If your mowing is a half hour or so, I'd go electric.Â* If a couple of
hours, I'd go gas.

I too dislike dealing with small gas engines and would prefer electric
but consider battery replacement cost as they will be the first part to
wear out. Years ago I had to toss an electric hedge trimmer and grass
trimmer set with two batteries when the batteries went and replacement
cost more than what I paid for the set. Also consider as batteries wear
out distance will diminish so I would buy a mower with much more time
than needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman writes:

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 10:06:15 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Consumer Reports battery push mowers.
Ryobi RY401200 Rated 79. Has only a 40 minute run time. $480.
DR Power Equipment CE75021XEN0. Rated 77. 80 minute run time. $600
Hart HLPM011 Rated 70. 70 minute run time. $248.

All the research I did pointed to the Ego. I'm on 7/8ths of an acre
and can do the front and back without a recharge. The battery
recharges in an hour or so. Just enough time for lunch or a beer.

A push model would be okay, the electric mowers are very light.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 13:16:20 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

I bought an electric lawn mower in 1997 and liked it for about 4 years.
It was a Black and Decker. Just as you said, the battery power started to diminish in year
5 and after finishing year 6 it was useless. Still not bad really, with 1997 battery
technology.
It was quite a bit heavier than a gas model, and it was a chore for my wife to use. They
apparently didn't sell well then, and I only paid about $250 for it. Paid about $400 in
2003 for the Craftsman with a Honda engine to replace it. Still using that.
I don't mind keeping gas for a 4-stroke.
So I'm in my 19th year that Honda engine, and it mostly starts with one pull.
One thing about electrics is they're quiet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2021 8:06 AM, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Did you regularly change the oil?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 3:08:27 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
On 4/12/2021 8:06 AM, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Did you regularly change the oil?

I was wondering about that. I'm pretty careful about oil, but when I checked it after the failure it was very dark.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2021 8:06 AM, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Did you regularly change the oil?

I was wondering about that. I'm pretty careful about oil, but when I checked it after the failure it was very dark.

Also, I ran out of gas halfway through the lawn, and had to take a break for a couple hours, because this mower ran well but never did want to start hot. I tried a bunch of times, then just let it cool off and it started fine.

(Of course I tried it again the next day hoping maybe it healed. Nope. Still pulls easy, still has the same amount of dirty oil, still doesn't start.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

I too dislike dealing with small gas engines and would prefer electric
but consider battery replacement cost as they will be the first part to
wear out. Years ago I had to toss an electric hedge trimmer and grass
trimmer set with two batteries when the batteries went and replacement
cost more than what I paid for the set. Also consider as batteries wear
out distance will diminish so I would buy a mower with much more time
than needed.

That is the problem with many battery devices. Often the replacement
battery is more than the origional price. I have had to toss a couple
of battery drills because the replacement batteries were more than I can
buy a new one with batteries for. I thought I was going to have to toss
a very good seldom used Dewalt drill but found an adapter that let me
use the batteries off my other Dewalt impact wrench (which uses
different batteries) in the drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 08:06:10 -0700 (PDT), TimR posted for all of us to
digest...

While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Not being a smart ass, but, have you considered paying someone to do it?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 12 Apr 2021 13:54:25 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Dean Hoffman writes:

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 10:06:15 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Not a good sign. Are you sure it wasn't a ringing, whistling, or
thumping? For example, thumping would mean you ran over a rabbit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

But if it did start, just think how fast it would run.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Consumer Reports battery push mowers.
Ryobi RY401200 Rated 79. Has only a 40 minute run time. $480.
DR Power Equipment CE75021XEN0. Rated 77. 80 minute run time. $600
Hart HLPM011 Rated 70. 70 minute run time. $248.

All the research I did pointed to the Ego. I'm on 7/8ths of an acre
and can do the front and back without a recharge. The battery
recharges in an hour or so. Just enough time for lunch or a beer.

A push model would be okay, the electric mowers are very light.

I can see getting a battery model. I have no experience with them
(though I have used a battery-powered flashlight) so I can't just the
problems.

But I would also recommend an AC powered electric lawnmower, with these
considerations. I use a 100 or more likelyl a 150' cord and that has not
been a problem, and it reaches far corners. If your yard is bigger than
that, the cord may be heavy, especialy if it's thick enough that the
voltage does nto go down. The big problem is bushes and trees. You
can only go so far and then you have to back up. And in the center
where with a gas mower I'd just go around in forever smaller circles,
here I have to stop once per circle to throw the cord where I won't mow
over it. I think I did cut my cord once or twice in early years though
that was with the hedge trimmer.

OTOH, corded is cheaper and less bother. You never run out of
electricity, always full power, no expensive battery to replace, mower
is a little lighter without a battery.

Once you're used to the idea that you can't go and go without retracing,
cords are fine. Of course I only have 1/20th of an acre!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2021 8:06 AM, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Did you regularly change the oil?

I was wondering about that. I'm pretty careful about oil, but when I checked it after the failure it was very dark.

Also, I ran out of gas halfway through the lawn, and had to take a break for a couple hours, because this mower ran well but never did want to start hot. I tried a bunch of times, then just let it cool off and it started fine.

(Of course I tried it again the next day hoping maybe it healed. Nope. Still pulls easy, still has the same amount of dirty oil, still doesn't start.)

Does the piston move when you pull the starter? My first thought was
that you threw the rod. But I just thought that maybe you just have a
stuck valve. If the rod is the problem, you should be able to tell the
crank will just spin freely or clank as it turns. If a valve is stuck
open it will puff-puff as it spins, but may puff out the itake, or in
the exhaust depending on which valve is stuck. That could be a more
simple repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Dean Hoffman writes:

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 10:06:15 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Consumer Reports battery push mowers.
Ryobi RY401200 Rated 79. Has only a 40 minute run time. $480.
DR Power Equipment CE75021XEN0. Rated 77. 80 minute run time. $600
Hart HLPM011 Rated 70. 70 minute run time. $248.

All the research I did pointed to the Ego. I'm on 7/8ths of an acre
and can do the front and back without a recharge. The battery
recharges in an hour or so. Just enough time for lunch or a beer.

A push model would be okay, the electric mowers are very light.

I wish they would state the deck material in the description...
.. assume that it's tin, I guess - or they would say ..
My last new power push mower rotted away - from under a
really nice B&S engine. The used aluminum deck unit is
about 30 years old and going strong.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , NONONOmisc07
@fmguy.com says...

Once you're used to the idea that you can't go and go without retracing,
cords are fine. Of course I only have 1/20th of an acre!

With only that much to mow I would look into the push mower with rotary
blades and no engine or motor. Almost nothing to maintain or wear out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2021 3:01 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

My 12 year old self propelled Honda is still in great shape with service
twice that cost about $100 each time that included new blade, spark
plug, air filter and lube. Wish I could say the same about me and my
very hilly 0.8 acre lot now being past my expiration date. So I now
have a landscaper to do it all. Most of my neighbors even those far
younger do the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Take the plug out. Stick a pencil in the plug hole and see if you can
feel the piston moving when you rock it over with the blade (wear a
glove). If you have one of those politically correct mowers with the
blade disconnect pull on the rope slowly. Just be careful you don't
get it wedged and break it off. (why I don't suggest a screwdriver)

If the piston is moving Bob is probably right about a stuck valve,
valve spring popped off or you blew a hole in the top of the piston.
My guess is you are buying a new mower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Take the plug out. Stick a pencil in the plug hole and see if you can
feel the piston moving when you rock it over with the blade (wear a
glove). If you have one of those politically correct mowers with the
blade disconnect pull on the rope slowly. Just be careful you don't
get it wedged and break it off. (why I don't suggest a screwdriver)

If the piston is moving Bob is probably right about a stuck valve,
valve spring popped off or you blew a hole in the top of the piston.
My guess is you are buying a new mower.

Thanks. That's what i was looking for, help with a diagnosis. I don't know small engines at all.

So I pulled the plug. The piston is only about half an inch inside the hole, and it doesn't move. If I spin the blade, the piston doesn''t move, if I pull on the rope slowly the blades spin but the piston doesn't move.

I didn't think I hit something. there was a repeated metallic clanging noise before it quit, like something was hitting metal on every cycle, before it quit. But is there any chance there's a safety spline on the shaft that let go? Or is this one dead and gone?

The last time I had one apart was about 20 years ago. I loaned it to the neighbor kid, and he brought it back broken. I took it apart to see, and (I don't know the right terms) there was a yoke type attachment on the end of a rod on the piston, and it was broken in several pieces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 5:42:33 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , NONONOmisc07
@fmguy.com says...

Once you're used to the idea that you can't go and go without retracing,
cords are fine. Of course I only have 1/20th of an acre!

With only that much to mow I would look into the push mower with rotary
blades and no engine or motor. Almost nothing to maintain or wear out.

I have one. My grass is just too thick. Mowing is a shove forward six inches, pull back a foot, try again frustration. For a little while in the spring before the grass gets going it works, or on a golf green, but not in my yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 12 Apr 2021 17:42:27 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

Once you're used to the idea that you can't go and go without retracing,
cords are fine. Of course I only have 1/20th of an acre!

With only that much to mow I would look into the push mower with rotary
blades and no engine or motor. Almost nothing to maintain or wear out.

We had one of those when I was 17. Too much effort required. Of
course we had suburban grass then, not city grass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You broke a rod. It is toast unless you just want a learning project.
I am not even sure you can find the parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That noise was probably the connecting rod destroying itself. If it
doesn't occur on a hard pull, it was probably breaking at the crank end.
If you are really lucky, it might just need a new rod.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2021 4:39 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 08:06:10 -0700 (PDT), TimR posted for all of us to
digest...

While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Not being a smart ass, but, have you considered paying someone to do it?

That has been my choice for the past 2 1/2 years. Works well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE sells engines.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engines/.
Also Home Depot, Lowes, and, Harbor Freight of course. NO idea if replacing just the engine
would be worth your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a broken con rod.

I didn't think I hit something. there was a repeated metallic clanging noise before it quit, like something was hitting metal on every cycle, before it quit. But is there any chance there's a safety spline on the shaft that let go? Or is this one dead and gone?

The last time I had one apart was about 20 years ago. I loaned it to the neighbor kid, and he brought it back broken. I took it apart to see, and (I don't know the right terms) there was a yoke type attachment on the end of a rod on the piston, and it was broken in several pieces.

Same again is my guess. An expensive repair awaits.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Dean Hoffman writes:

[...]

I just had to fix a neighbor's John Deere lawnmower. The throttle
cable had failed and the wheel drive would dissengage spontaneously.

I thought Deere was pretty proud of their throttle cable at $99 and
change Canadian. It wasn't in stock anyway - would have had to wait a
week - so I decided to replace with generic cable. DANG they are proud
of that stuff to!!! a 4 foot cable cost $50 - and I had to bend the
ends to fit and get the rusted broken sheath out of the cable
retainer.

The wheel drive control was a chinese puzzle - getting it all
together was a REAL PAIN!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 17:42:27 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

Once you're used to the idea that you can't go and go without retracing,
cords are fine. Of course I only have 1/20th of an acre!

With only that much to mow I would look into the push mower with rotary
blades and no engine or motor. Almost nothing to maintain or wear out.

Or buy a few rabbits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2021 8:06 AM, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Did you regularly change the oil?

I was wondering about that. I'm pretty careful about oil, but when I checked it after the failure it was very dark.

Also, I ran out of gas halfway through the lawn, and had to take a break for a couple hours, because this mower ran well but never did want to start hot. I tried a bunch of times, then just let it cool off and it started fine.

(Of course I tried it again the next day hoping maybe it healed.

Always a good idea. If you still have it, try laying hands on it.

One hand on the recoil starter and one hand on the air cleaner is best.

Nope. Still pulls easy, still has the same amount of dirty oil, still doesn't start.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2021 8:06 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

I think I once had a lwan mower engine where the pin that held the valve
spring in place broke or came out and the only problem was that the
valve never closed. So it had no compression. (But if that were really
the only problem, how come I can't remember fixing it?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 12 Apr 2021 16:51:58 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Thanks. That's what i was looking for, help with a diagnosis. I don't know small engines at all.

So I pulled the plug. The piston is only about half an inch inside the hole, and it doesn't move. If I spin the blade, the piston doesn''t move, if I pull on the rope slowly the blades spin but the piston doesn't move.

I didn't think I hit something. there was a repeated metallic clanging noise before it quit, like something was hitting metal on every cycle, before it quit. But is there any chance there's a safety spline on the shaft that let go? Or is this one dead and gone?

The last time I had one apart was about 20 years ago. I loaned it to the neighbor kid, and he brought it
back broken. I took it apart to see, and (I don't know the right terms) there was a yoke type attachment
on the end of a rod on the piston, and it was broken in several pieces.

I wonder how even the most obnoxious kid could do that.

Just a coincidence?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2021 8:06 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

That's just the Alzheimer's, nothing to worry about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 16:16:48 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 16:30:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"

BRUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 8:49:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On M
The Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE sells engines.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engines/.
Also Home Depot, Lowes, and, Harbor Freight of course. NO idea if replacing just the engine
would be worth your time.I

It sounds like there are three ways to go. I just got my tax refund so I can afford to buy something good.

Anyway, I can buy electric, I can buy decent gas, or I can buy a new engine that fits.

I like my mower and of the three I'd prefer the engine solution, if the cost were reasonable and I could get an exact fit - my experience with exact replacements has been that I don't seem to understand the word "exact". It doesn't always mean unbolt the old one and bolt in the new one. Lots of times it means unbolt the old one and do a bunch of machining to make the new one work. If it matters, it's a Toro Recycler, 6.5 HP. I looked at some engine prices and they cost as much as a new mower, but i wasn't sure what engine would fit mine.

Corded electric? sounds good, but I know dragging that cord would get old. Electrics in general run from 3/4 HP up to about 1.3, and I'm not sure that will handle my grass, and rechargeable batteries have a lifespan. I like the idea of an electric but I'm leaning away. .

What brand of gas mower do lawn companies use? Or do they just wear them out in a year and replace anyway, so it doesnt matter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 06:36:25 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

[...]

The mowers the pros use cost as much as a small car. You can pay $5k+
for a used Grasshopper. It has nothing to do with what a guy who
spends an hour or two a week needs. These things run all day long 50
or 60 hours a week. Some are even diesels.
I would just find something with a Honda motor and it might outlive
your willingness to cut your own grass. 10-15 years is not unusual
tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 11:44:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 10:06:15 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer than it should. And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric? I've certainly had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

Consumer Reports battery push mowers.
Ryobi RY401200 Rated 79. Has only a 40 minute run time. $480.
DR Power Equipment CE75021XEN0. Rated 77. 80 minute run time. $600
Hart HLPM011 Rated 70. 70 minute run time. $248.

I think what you're saying is that you better have a small lawn. I could not
do mine on that run time and I don't have a really big one either. I guess you
could do it in two phases, but I bet it takes quite a while to recharge. And
now you have two charge cycles per cutting, which means the battery lasts
about half as long.

I saw my neighbor using a cordless leaf blower. It was quiet compared to
a gas one. But it also wasn't blowing anything like a gas one either. It would
be useless on my yard where I have lots of leaves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Toro recycler - Cast deck or stamped?
If you can get an engine for the old recycler the deck (cast) will
last forever I have one that is almost 40 years old
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, and you pay for that when you employ them. No skin off their nose when
it dies.