Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Lawnmower rope easy to pull

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 13:16:20 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/12/2021 12:46 PM, Heywood wrote:
On 4/12/2021 11:06 AM, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise
and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer
than it should.Â* And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric?Â* I've certainly
had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

My neighbor has an electric and it works well.Â* We have small lawns
though, now sure how well it would be for a large one. He walks at a
good pace and it cuts easily in one pass.

If your mowing is a half hour or so, I'd go electric.Â* If a couple of
hours, I'd go gas.

I too dislike dealing with small gas engines and would prefer electric
but consider battery replacement cost as they will be the first part to
wear out. Years ago I had to toss an electric hedge trimmer and grass
trimmer set with two batteries when the batteries went and replacement
cost more than what I paid for the set. Also consider as batteries wear
out distance will diminish so I would buy a mower with much more time
than needed.

I bought an electric lawn mower in 1997 and liked it for about 4 years.
It was a Black and Decker. Just as you said, the battery power started to diminish in year
5 and after finishing year 6 it was useless. Still not bad really, with 1997 battery
technology.
It was quite a bit heavier than a gas model, and it was a chore for my wife to use. They
apparently didn't sell well then, and I only paid about $250 for it. Paid about $400 in
2003 for the Craftsman with a Honda engine to replace it. Still using that.
I don't mind keeping gas for a 4-stroke.
So I'm in my 19th year that Honda engine, and it mostly starts with one pull.
One thing about electrics is they're quiet.