Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to make a Pull Rope for an old "Wisconsin" (brand) engine

I have an old Wisconsin model BKN engine (7hp), which I'd like to try to
start. It has the old pulley with the notch to wrap a rope and pull
start it. (not a built in recoil like on must lawn mowers).

The engine did not come with the the pull cord. I just googled the web,
and found several .PDF repair manuals to download, but none of them say
how to make such a cord. I imagine I could buy a premade cord from ebay
or some where else, or get one from a Wisconsin Engine dealer, but I
know I can easily make one. It's just a length of nylon rope, (like used
on any lawn mower), and a handle. The end that goes on the pulley has a
knot. I already have a handle from a junked mower.

The question is how long the rope should be, and is there a special way
to make the knot on the end, so it releases as soon as the engine
starts.

Do anyone of you have such an engine with the rope, who can post the
length and describe (or post a picture) of the knot? I can buy that rope
by bulk, for under a dollar at the local farm supply store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/16 1:42 PM, wrote:
[...]

Don't need anything fancy...maybe any old clothes line.

Tie a figure 8 knot in the end that will go into the slot in the pulley
and pull it into a ball.

As to length, put your strongest fist against the wall and measure how
long the pull is back to your ear. Make the cord six inches or so
shorter than that.

Use anything for a handle.

--
Legal gun owners in the U.S. possess over 300 million firearms and
billions of rounds of ammunition. Seriously people, if they were a
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 12:42:52 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Baler twine might work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 20:48:59 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"
wrote:

[...]

According to the BKN manual you can download - on page 9 it says the
rope should be sized to give 2 full rotations of the engine with a
full pull. Make the rope long enough for 2 full wraps plus whatever
open length required for a proper pull posture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/20/2016 08:57 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
It there any danger of the cord winding itself 'the wrong way' and
converting itself into a sort of weed whacker?

If there is, Pained Cow will manage to do it and it will be his weed
that gets whacked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 21:11:53 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 04/20/2016 08:57 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
It there any danger of the cord winding itself 'the wrong way' and
converting itself into a sort of weed whacker?

If there is, Pained Cow will manage to do it and it will be his weed
that gets whacked.

I've started all kinds of engines with the pull rope, and I can say
with conviction it would take someone of incredible talent to manage
to get the rope to wind backwards.

Someone like the friend of a Newfy I used to know. My friend had an
old ford that was a bit hard to start when cold - so he used to jack
up one rear wheel, and wind a rope around the rear wheel. He'd put his
wife in the driver's seat, with the car in low gear - he'd run down
the driveway pulling the rope and she would pop the clutch - and the
old Ford would star.

His friend was complaining his Dodge didn't start well when cold - so
my friend told him how he stated the Ford. His friend decided to try
it, and after a lot of fussing (and mabee a few "sacre tabernac"s) he
was ready to run the rope down the driveway. When my friend popped the
clutch he looked in the mirror to se his friend coming up behind the
car taking 10 foot steps - and he got his foot on the clutch quickly,
just as his friend took the mirror off the door.

He had trouble getting the rope to stay on the wheel so had tied it
through the "spokes" of the steel artillery style wheel and knotted it
at the center of the tread - and to be sure he didn't let go of the
rope had wrapped it around his hand. By some fluke, the rope actually
wrapped back onto the tire when the car started - and he couldn't let
go. Luckily as he came op close to the car it ran off the tire and
didn't wrap him around the tire!!!.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 23:50:08 -0400, wrote:

Luckily as he came op close to the car it ran off the tire

Lucky I guess because the coroner would be hard-pressed to call something
that likely to happen an 'accident'.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2016 9:48 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Do anyone of you have such an engine with the rope, who can post the
length and describe (or post a picture) of the knot? I can buy that rope
by bulk, for under a dollar at the local farm supply store.

Baler twine might work.

I'm guessing too narrow. Clotheline is more like
it for a 7 HP.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2016 11:50 PM, wrote:

[...]

Many years ago, I had friend on bicycle want me
to pull him (her? Been a while back) behind a
car. Using a rope. The friend on the bike
proceeded to wrap the rope around his hand,
several times. I suggested he clasp the rope
(I had made a loop or handle of some kind). If
the bicycle rider became unsteady, he could
simply let go of the rope.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/21/2016 06:01 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Many years ago, I had friend on bicycle want me
to pull him (her? Been a while back) behind a
car. Using a rope. The friend on the bike
proceeded to wrap the rope around his hand,
several times. I suggested he clasp the rope
(I had made a loop or handle of some kind). If
the bicycle rider became unsteady, he could
simply let go of the rope.

In the old days, that's how you could tell the cops that slept through
the academy. Nightsticks have a thong and they would stick their hand
through the loop like the dufus in the last photo:

https://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/...traight-batons

Grab the nightstick and you pretty much pwn the moron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 11:03:17 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
In the old days, that's how you could tell the cops that slept through
the academy. Nightsticks have a thong and they would stick their hand
through the loop like the dufus in the last photo:

https://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/...traight-batons

Grab the nightstick and you pretty much pwn the moron.

Great photo.

When I was a prison guard we were heavily trained on how to wrap that cord so it released if the baton got grabbed. You did not want to get pulled out of formation into the scrum. Needless to say that photo is NOT how to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 05:32:11 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 11:03:17 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
In the old days, that's how you could tell the cops that slept through
the academy. Nightsticks have a thong and they would stick their hand
through the loop like the dufus in the last photo:

https://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/...traight-batons

Grab the nightstick and you pretty much pwn the moron.

Great photo.

When I was a prison guard we were heavily trained on how to wrap that cord so it released if the baton got grabbed. You did not want to get pulled out of formation into the scrum. Needless to say that photo is NOT how to do it.

+1 The creep can have the stick if his can get it. Then the team
takes is back

Hang the baton over the thumb. twist and grip it. If grabbed by a
stink-eye. Let go and is comes away.

Pic:

https://tinyurl.com/jucbdfp