Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to make a Pull Rope for an old "Wisconsin" (brand) engine

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 20:48:59 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 12:42:52 -0500, wrote:

I have an old Wisconsin model BKN engine (7hp), which I'd like to try to
start. It has the old pulley with the notch to wrap a rope and pull
start it. (not a built in recoil like on must lawn mowers).

The engine did not come with the the pull cord. I just googled the web,
and found several .PDF repair manuals to download, but none of them say
how to make such a cord. I imagine I could buy a premade cord from ebay
or some where else, or get one from a Wisconsin Engine dealer, but I
know I can easily make one. It's just a length of nylon rope, (like used
on any lawn mower), and a handle. The end that goes on the pulley has a
knot. I already have a handle from a junked mower.

The question is how long the rope should be, and is there a special way
to make the knot on the end, so it releases as soon as the engine
starts.

Do anyone of you have such an engine with the rope, who can post the
length and describe (or post a picture) of the knot? I can buy that rope
by bulk, for under a dollar at the local farm supply store.

Baler twine might work.

According to the BKN manual you can download - on page 9 it says the
rope should be sized to give 2 full rotations of the engine with a
full pull. Make the rope long enough for 2 full wraps plus whatever
open length required for a proper pull posture.