Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Lawnmower rope easy to pull

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 06:36:25 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 8:49:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On M
The Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE sells engines.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engines/.
Also Home Depot, Lowes, and, Harbor Freight of course. NO idea if replacing just the engine
would be worth your time.I

It sounds like there are three ways to go. I just got my tax refund so I can afford to buy something good.

Anyway, I can buy electric, I can buy decent gas, or I can buy a new engine that fits.

I like my mower and of the three I'd prefer the engine solution, if the cost were reasonable and I could get an exact fit - my experience with exact replacements has been that I don't seem to understand the word "exact". It doesn't always mean unbolt the old one and bolt in the new one. Lots of times it means unbolt the old one and do a bunch of machining to make the new one work. If it matters, it's a Toro Recycler, 6.5 HP. I looked at some engine prices and they cost as much as a new mower, but i wasn't sure what engine would fit mine.

Corded electric? sounds good, but I know dragging that cord would get old. Electrics in general run from 3/4 HP up to about 1.3, and I'm not sure that will handle my grass, and rechargeable batteries have a lifespan. I like the idea of an electric but I'm leaning away. .

What brand of gas mower do lawn companies use? Or do they just wear them out in a year and replace anyway, so it doesnt matter?

Toro recycler - Cast deck or stamped?
If you can get an engine for the old recycler the deck (cast) will
last forever I have one that is almost 40 years old