Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Lawnmower rope easy to pull

On 4/12/2021 3:01 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 13:16:20 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/12/2021 12:46 PM, Heywood wrote:
On 4/12/2021 11:06 AM, TimR wrote:
While mowing the yard yesterday the lawnmower made a clanging noise
and quit.

Pulling the starter cord seems too easy now and I hear it spin longer
than it should.Â* And no, it doesn't start.

Should I give up on IC engines and buy an electric?Â* I've certainly
had my struggles with gas engines the past couple of years.

My neighbor has an electric and it works well.Â* We have small lawns
though, now sure how well it would be for a large one. He walks at a
good pace and it cuts easily in one pass.

If your mowing is a half hour or so, I'd go electric.Â* If a couple of
hours, I'd go gas.

I too dislike dealing with small gas engines and would prefer electric
but consider battery replacement cost as they will be the first part to
wear out. Years ago I had to toss an electric hedge trimmer and grass
trimmer set with two batteries when the batteries went and replacement
cost more than what I paid for the set. Also consider as batteries wear
out distance will diminish so I would buy a mower with much more time
than needed.

I bought an electric lawn mower in 1997 and liked it for about 4 years.
It was a Black and Decker. Just as you said, the battery power started to diminish in year
5 and after finishing year 6 it was useless. Still not bad really, with 1997 battery
technology.
It was quite a bit heavier than a gas model, and it was a chore for my wife to use. They
apparently didn't sell well then, and I only paid about $250 for it. Paid about $400 in
2003 for the Craftsman with a Honda engine to replace it. Still using that.
I don't mind keeping gas for a 4-stroke.
So I'm in my 19th year that Honda engine, and it mostly starts with one pull.
One thing about electrics is they're quiet.

My 12 year old self propelled Honda is still in great shape with service
twice that cost about $100 each time that included new blade, spark
plug, air filter and lube. Wish I could say the same about me and my
very hilly 0.8 acre lot now being past my expiration date. So I now
have a landscaper to do it all. Most of my neighbors even those far
younger do the same.