Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shovelling snow

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 21:41:24 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/18/2021 9:03 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 02:12:21 -0500, micky
wrote:

I don't see any point to clearing a 4-foot wide path when I only need 8
inches.

The city requires the sidewalk to be CLEARED within 24 hours of
snowfall

4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does

Or a 4-car driveway. When I had a driveway, I only cleared a path for
the tires.

You wear knee-high boots to get to and into the car? ANd when the snow
freezes you tear your muffler off? You use your bumper as a plough to
push the snow from behind or infront of the car???? The plogh can
leace 2 pile 2 feet deepand 2 or 3 feet wide across the end of the
driveway. You MIGHT get out once - You MIGHT get in once, but I can
almost guarantee you well be spending money on exhaust repairs.

Nah, not a problem. Micky is in Baltimore and I grew up in Philly,
about 90 miles north of it. A four inch snowfall does not need knee
high boots or tear out your muffler. Where I lived in Philly only the
main streets were plowed. Every few years you got a 12" storm. The
average annual snowfall is only 13" spread out over the winter.

And if 13 inches lasted more than a week it was a heavy winter. The
stuff comes down so wet it sticks to both sifes of traffic signs. I
know, I've seen a "King of Prussia" snow storm - Slick as snot for 8
hours, and gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 00:03:15 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Feb 2021 21:03:20 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 02:12:21 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:11:30 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 13:32:39 -0500, micky
wrote:

BTW. after all these years, I have a new improved way of shoveling the
sidewalk, that's faster, better, and takes less effort.

The whole word "shoveling" seems like the wrong word now because surely
shovel ling meant putting the shovel under the snow and lifting it and
throwing it to the side.

The last two times, I used a spade, with a flat end. Just put it end
down on the sidewalk and slide it to the side. Lift it an inch or two
and do the next row of snow.

No lifting the shovel or the snow, no throwing it, and for a guy with
breathing problems some times (well, only when I'm working hard), I can
do four times as much without getting running out of breath. 60 feet
instead of 15.

BTW, my father bought the spade around 1945 and except for some of the
blue paint on the side of the handle wearing off, it's still as good as
new.

Like this but the blade is not stainless and it's even flatter at the
end.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosmere-Jacks...D0/ref=sr_1_49

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a

I don't see any point to clearing a 4-foot wide path when I only need 8
inches.

The city requires the sidewalk to be CLEARED within 24 hours of
snowfall

4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does

Or a 4-car driveway. When I had a driveway, I only cleared a path for
the tires.

You wear knee-high boots to get to and into the car? ANd when the snow

We parked in the garage then.

HAven't been able to put a car in the garage for over 30 years. The
80 corolla was a snug fit without my tool box and the Myford lathe and
Lincoln Tombstone welder - not to mention the bikes etc

freezes you tear your muffler off? You use your bumper as a plough to
push the snow from behind or infront of the car???? The plogh can
leace 2 pile 2 feet deepand 2 or 3 feet wide across the end of the
driveway. You MIGHT get out once - You MIGHT get in once, but I can
almost guarantee you well be spending money on exhaust repairs.

Not to mention the mail man and couriers will NOT deliver if the
driveway is not shovelled (the friveway is the "sidewalk" to the front
foor.

The mailbox was at the road. And if we got one package delivered a year
that was a lot. (This was quite a few years ago, but now, I'm not going
to buy anything online until the snow melts. I did shovel for the
grocery delivery..)

it in about half an hour. If it snows less than 3 inches at a time I
clear it with the 22 inch Garrant Yukon Ergonomic snow pusher
(https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/21-inch...r/4Y9TPF0SXRMR)
in about the same amount of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 9:07:32 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:25:30 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 5:17:29 PM UTC-5, Oliver George wrote:
On 2/17/21 2:03 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 1:32:45 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
BTW. after all these years, I have a new improved way of shoveling the
sidewalk, that's faster, better, and takes less effort.

The whole word "shoveling" seems like the wrong word now because surely
shovel ling meant putting the shovel under the snow and lifting it and
throwing it to the side.

The last two times, I used a spade, with a flat end. Just put it end
down on the sidewalk and slide it to the side. Lift it an inch or two
and do the next row of snow.

No lifting the shovel or the snow, no throwing it, and for a guy with
breathing problems some times (well, only when I'm working hard), I can
do four times as much without getting running out of breath. 60 feet
instead of 15.

I hate to break it to you, but that's how all of us old farts shovel snow.

Of course, after a few snowfalls without a thaw in between, one does have
to lift the snow up over the piles of snow at the edge of the sidewalk.

ISTR in 2013 we got 60 inches of snow over the course of the winter, with
precious little thawing until spring. Even the snowblower was having a
hard time throwing snow up over the piles next to the driveway.

Cindy Hamilton

What kind of snowflake blower do you have? My little 19hp JD can hit the 7kV primary over my driveway.

In 2013 we had some sort of Toro. A single-stage jobbie with those rubber flappers.
We have some colored and stamped concrete that we don't want to tear up.

We replaced it this year with a Honda. I think it's this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Equipment-HS720AA-Single-Stage-Control/dp/B00P4QORJK

Cindy Hamilton

We call those snow throwers - or power shovels. The work good for
loose snow - not bad for wet - but no good for frozen packed snow or
snow with a heavy ice coating. Sometimes you NEED wheel drive or track
drive to motivate the thing.

I generally get out and use the thing right away, so no frozen packed snow.
Haven't had to deal with a heavy ice coating on top of snow. That's pretty
rare here; probably something about the way the Great Lakes affect the
weather.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

We grew up in northern Wisconsin. It was not uncommon to have to toss a shovel of snow over a 4 foot bank on the side of driveway or sidewalk, after the first couple snows. Your shovel technique is fine for a light snow but worthless for a real storm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/21 2:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

We had a heavy, wet one yesterday and I brought out the snow thrower
around sunset rather than wait for today. Good thing as all is ice
today. I pointed out elsewhere that a track drive might move the snow
thrower but the blades would have a problem maybe even break or bend if
shear bolts do not fail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2021 12:45 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 23:59:48 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Feb 2021 15:00:04 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 2/18/2021 1:35 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:34:20 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 2:13:02 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

I don't see any point to clearing a 4-foot wide path when I only need 8
inches.

Doesn't your city require the sidewalks be completely cleared? Ann Arbor

I think so, but I can't believe that includes cleaning the whole width.

does, and if you don't clear your sidewalk they'll do it for you and bill you
for it.

That's never happened to me or any of my neighbors afaik. Maybe because
we own our own streets**.

So it's more likely the HOA would do that, but even the law gives us 24
or 48 hours and I'm sure the HOA settles for 8 inches. Well, actually I
guess I used to do two widths of an 8" shovel, 16 inches. I'm not sure
the HOA has ever given a snow shoveling fine.

Our HOA has no regulations on snow.

You need some. Even if you are in Florida.

Not where I live. There may be a few times when it dusted the lawns up
where Ed lives but water doesn't freeze down here. We have plumbing
outside.

I read it did snow here in 1977.

My son runs the hockey programs at an ice rink. After running the
Zamboni some ice shavings have to be cleared when it dumps. If they
need a new snow shovel it has to be mail ordered as stores here never
have them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

I just shovelledanother 2 inches this morning. The 6 feet between my
drive and the neighbours is over 4 feet deep. NOTHING compared to what
we have had in the past. Up to now it's been a pretty light winter
here. 30 miles east, west, or north has significantly more. We are in
some sort of "shafow" for lake effect snow the last number of years

Interesting too how Baltimore got 1 1/2 inches of rain and Lowell got
17 inches of snow, eh? What a difference 30 miles can make.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 19 Feb 2021 01:22:01 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

You wear knee-high boots to get to and into the car? ANd when the snow

We parked in the garage then.

HAven't been able to put a car in the garage for over 30 years. The
80 corolla was a snug fit without my tool box and the Myford lathe and
Lincoln Tombstone welder - not to mention the bikes etc

We had a two car garage but only one car, so we still had room.

In Baltimore and maybe many other places, they didn't even have garages
for many expensive houses into the 70's, just carports.

But since then, for houses of almost all prices, they build a lot of
two-car garages with 2 single doors and a post in the middle.

So for the whole time you live ther, you have to have the empty part of
your garage in just the right place, and you risk hitting the door frame
every time you go in or out.

How much more would it cost to make the lintel stronger and put in one
double-wide garage door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When I lived in snow country, (Montana, Nebraska, Kansas), I had the same
requirement to CLEAR the sidewalk in front of my house. Those were city
ordinances and they didn't say we should clear a path; they simply said
clear the sidewalk. Like someone mentioned earlier, it could well be for
wheelchair access.

4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does

Or a 4-car driveway. When I had a driveway, I only cleared a path for
the tires.

You wear knee-high boots to get to and into the car? ANd when the snow
freezes you tear your muffler off? You use your bumper as a plough to
push the snow from behind or infront of the car???? The plogh can
leace 2 pile 2 feet deepand 2 or 3 feet wide across the end of the
driveway. You MIGHT get out once - You MIGHT get in once, but I can
almost guarantee you well be spending money on exhaust repairs.

I had a 4WD pickup when I lived in snow country so I never cleared my
driveway. Never had an issue as a result. I just used the pickup to pack
the snow down.

Not to mention the mail man and couriers will NOT deliver if the
driveway is not shovelled (the friveway is the "sidewalk" to the front
foor.

I never had regular mail delivery to the house but I happened to be looking
out the window one winter day and noticed the Mormon guys skipping past my
house. I guess I lost out that day.

it in about half an hour. If it snows less than 3 inches at a time I
clear it with the 22 inch Garrant Yukon Ergonomic snow pusher
(https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/21-inch...r/4Y9TPF0SXRMR)
in about the same amount of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It actually costs less because you save on the thing in the middle
and a single double width door is cheaper than two separate doors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:29:52 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:01:24 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:

On the rare occasions I need to move snow , I much prefer to use my
yard tractor with the 48" blade on the front ...

Nice. Our yard tractor isn't quite powerful enough for that. We did the
math on buying a bigger tractor. I figured we'd just save the money
toward hiring it done when I get too feeble to use the snowblower. We'll
probably phase it in: do it myself for up to 6 inches and hire someone to
do it for anything deeper than that. Then after a while just sit in the
house and watch someone else do it all.

Not as much fun as hiring landscapers. The snow-removal guys have to
keep their shirts on.

If you need a specific behavior, just make it a business requirement. You
may have to pay a little extra.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Dunno now but the steel beam I put over an 18' door (8deep X 34lb/ft)
in 1978 cost about $400. Two beams for 8' doors (8"x17lb) would have
been a quarter of that. The difference between one 18' door and two 8'
doors ate intro that difference quite a bit. That was a drop flange
beam, carrying the joists for a 2d floor and a brick veneer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:01:24 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:

On the rare occasions I need to move snow , I much prefer to use my
yard tractor with the 48" blade on the front ...

Nice. Our yard tractor isn't quite powerful enough for that. We did the
math on buying a bigger tractor. I figured we'd just save the money
toward hiring it done when I get too feeble to use the snowblower. We'll
probably phase it in: do it myself for up to 6 inches and hire someone to
do it for anything deeper than that. Then after a while just sit in the
house and watch someone else do it all.

Not as much fun as hiring landscapers. The snow-removal guys have to
keep their shirts on.

If you need a specific behavior, just make it a business requirement. You
may have to pay a little extra.

Landscapers here are generally latino and they wear long pants and
long sleeve shirts. They understand keeping the sun off of you is
better than taking your shirt off. I guess living at real low
latitudes makes you smarter about the heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Bah. I've got an old garage with two doors. It's made of concrete block.
Just pay some attention to what you're doing when you pull in or out.

If you're building 1 garage, the cost of a stronger lintel is in the noise. If
you're building 1000 garages, now you're starting to talk real money.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But the difference wouldn't have been anything like
that with no bricks above the single door, single story
and when it was in the same direction as the roof
trusses if it had a pitched roof with a gable end there.

The difference between one 18' door and two 8' doors
ate intro that difference quite a bit. That was a drop flange
beam, carrying the joists for a 2d floor and a brick veneer.

My mates new place, just being completed now
has nothing like (8"deep X 34lb/ft) with his single
story metal roof with no gable at all.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9d6v8dcld0..._2759.jpg?dl=0

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

None of ours dress like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But its not necessarily more expensive to have just one door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 03:24:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Landscapers here are generally latino and they wear long pants and
long sleeve shirts. They understand keeping the sun off of you is
better than taking your shirt off. I guess living at real low
latitudes makes you smarter about the heat.

None of ours dress like that.

Of course not, you auto-contradicting senile pest!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 03:23:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

My mates new place, just being completed now
has nothing like (8"deep X 34lb/ft)

I told you already, you miserable forsaken sociopath: the people whose
stories you watch on TV are NOT your "mates"!

cretin's pathological trolling:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 03:27:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent
..

But its not necessarily more expensive to have just one door.

Of COURSE not, you auto-contradicting miserable senile pest! LOL

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/20/2021 03:26 AM, wrote:
Bah. I've got an old garage with two doors. It's made of concrete block.
Just pay some attention to what you're doing when you pull in or out.

That's the important part... We went to the lumber yard to pick up
supplies for a project. A '57 Chevy wasn't exactly a pickup so the
longer pieces were stick out the passenger window with the other end on
the rear window shelf, standard procedure.

We were talking about something when my father drove into the garage as
usual. I wasn't hurt by the studs launching out the rear window but I
was scared that somehow it would be all my fault.

The insurance company declined to pay out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 11:24:47 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

That's the important part... We went to the lumber yard to pick up

Oh, no! Yet another one of those inevitable lengthy senile bull**** stories!
LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Same with the difference between a 7 foot and an 8 foot door. My
first house was cursed with a 7X7. No problem for a '28 Chevy od '72
Firenza - but a significant issue for a Ramcharger or a Pacer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

A friend of mine who did something in the construction or the design
area told me he was volunteering for Habitat for Humanity that was
rehabbing some houses on the west side of Baltimore. He wanted to help
but he also said he might make contacts and find work too.

So I said I wanted to volunteer too, and we met there and were assigned
to the same house (I think they were doing more than one, I forget), and
we were indoors ripping out old plumbing etc., nothing skilled, and I
lasted until about noon, and it was hot, and I was indoors, and I took
my shirt off. And soon after he called me aside and said it didn't
look good. He said it was "unproffessional". I said, "I'm not a
professional."

He thought because he'd brought me, I was making him look bad. So I
left.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The sub tropics are not for snowflakes you might melt
I am actually pretty used to it but you are actually better off with a
cotton shirt than not wearing one if you are in the sun. You might
sweat through it but then it becomes a cooler.
Being hot in the shade or inside might be helped by taking off clothes
but not outside in the sun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/20/2021 01:51 PM, micky wrote:
I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

Never spent much time at 10 below did you? Everything becomes a major
project and if you **** up you die.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 18:25:17 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/20/2021 01:51 PM, micky wrote:
I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

Never spent much time at 10 below did you? Everything becomes a major
project and if you **** up you die.

I think I prefer laying by the pool when it is 90 and if I get hot, I
jump in for a few minutes. Problem solved. My pipes won't freeze and
my car starts. I don't need snow tires and I don't have to shovel it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Blabbermouth

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 18:25:17 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Never spent much time at 10 below did you? Everything becomes a major
project and if you **** up you die.

More senile wisdom from the resident senile bigmouth. G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 04:02:11 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Feb 2021 18:29:11 -0500,
wrote:

I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

The sub tropics are not for snowflakes you might melt
I am actually pretty used to it but you are actually better off with a
cotton shirt than not wearing one if you are in the sun. You might

eVERYONE Says that but it's not my experience, even in the sun.

Have you been in the sun that much? I am not talking about low on the
horizon sun, I mean where it is not tempered as much by the
atmosphere. I tend to trust people who live below the tropic of cancer
about working in the sun more than people closer to the arctic circle.
You seldom if ever see a Mexican or Guatemalan with his shirt off if
he is working. They must know something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

The sub tropics are not for snowflakes you might melt
I am actually pretty used to it but you are actually better off with a
cotton shirt than not wearing one if you are in the sun. You might

eVERYONE Says that but it's not my experience, even in the sun.

Have you been in the sun that much?

I have, two entire summers when building the house,
no shade at all, and much hotter than you get.

I am not talking about low on the horizon sun, I mean
where it is not tempered as much by the atmosphere.
I tend to trust people who live below the tropic of cancer
about working in the sun more than people closer to the arctic circle.

Ours don't bother with shirts.

You seldom if ever see a Mexican or Guatemalan
with his shirt off if he is working.

I have seen all of ours and me too.

They must know something.

They clearly don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 03:03:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

The sub tropics are not for snowflakes you might melt
I am actually pretty used to it but you are actually better off with a
cotton shirt than not wearing one if you are in the sun. You might

eVERYONE Says that but it's not my experience, even in the sun.

sweat through it but then it becomes a cooler.
Being hot in the shade or inside might be helped by taking off clothes
but not outside in the sun.

I can tell you from experience, when it's 115C in the shade and over
50% humidity you don't go out without your shirt on - particularly in
the sun. I found a light cotton T shirt was "comfortable" but not as
good as a light loose fitting cotton shirt. that let the air move. You
stayed in the shade as much as possible, and tried to find a spot with
a breeze. With high humidity sweating didn't help - and the only way
you got any evaporation was with a breeze.
That late October 1973 afternoon at 115 in the shade was a "cool
comfortable" day compared to the 2 weeks before. (when the RH was
occaisionally actually over 100% - and yes, that IS possible!!!) The
humidity is highly localized close to the falls -a HUGE humidifier.
The rains come in November

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

The sub tropics are not for snowflakes you might melt
I am actually pretty used to it but you are actually better off with a
cotton shirt than not wearing one if you are in the sun. You might

eVERYONE Says that but it's not my experience, even in the sun.

sweat through it but then it becomes a cooler.
Being hot in the shade or inside might be helped by taking off clothes
but not outside in the sun.

I can tell you from experience, when it's 115C in
the shade and over 50% humidity you don't go
out without your shirt on - particularly in the sun.

I can tell you from experience that I did just that, repeatedly.

Presumably you 115C is a typo and you meant 115F.

I found a light cotton T shirt was "comfortable" but not
as good as a light loose fitting cotton shirt. that let the
air move. You stayed in the shade as much as possible,

It wasn't possible when I was building my house. There was no shade.

and tried to find a spot with a breeze. With high humidity

That's not high humidity.

Bull****.

The humidity is highly localized close to the falls -
a HUGE humidifier. The rains come in November

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

The sub tropics are not for snowflakes you might melt
I am actually pretty used to it but you are actually better off with a
cotton shirt than not wearing one if you are in the sun. You might

eVERYONE Says that but it's not my experience, even in the sun.

Have you been in the sun that much? I am not talking about low on the
horizon sun, I mean where it is not tempered as much by the
atmosphere.

Yes, I've been in the midday sun in the middle of summer on a sunny day,
and I've been doing physical work there, and I like it better with my
shirt off than my shirt on.

I tend to trust people who live below the tropic of cancer

So don't trust me. I'm not telling you or anyone how to behave. I am
saying that for some people, my method works better. Surely you don't
think everyone is the same.

about working in the sun more than people closer to the arctic circle.
You seldom if ever see a Mexican or Guatemalan with his shirt off if
he is working. They must know something.

Or they're used to it, or conforming to cultural rules about modesty.

Or something about their ethnnic, genetic background makes them respond
differently from me. Anyhow, I'm not going to change my habits to go
by a second-hand report of what Mexicans and Guatemalans do.

You made me curious so I looked. My first search didn't bother to
specify working and some of the hits were about swimming:

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/wh...hes-on-6586495
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Mexican...earing-clothes

If they wear clothes while swimming, I'm not going to feel prompted to
copy their style when dry.

Changing the search terms didn't work well, so I'm quitting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2021 10:00 PM, micky wrote:

about working in the sun more than people closer to the arctic circle.
You seldom if ever see a Mexican or Guatemalan with his shirt off if
he is working. They must know something.

Or they're used to it, or conforming to cultural rules about modesty.

Or something about their ethnnic, genetic background makes them respond
differently from me. Anyhow, I'm not going to change my habits to go
by a second-hand report of what Mexicans and Guatemalans do.

There is a lot of home building going on near me. Many of the workers
are Mexican, as are many of the landscape people. I don't recall ever
seeing one shirtless. Most working outside have wide brim hats too, no
backwards ball caps.

Only shirtless person I see is my scrawny gringo next door neighbor.

Shovelling cut grass John Rumm UK diy 14 April 7th 14 07:01 PM
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ! ! ! Ed Pawlowskio Home Repair 29 October 31st 11 03:27 AM
Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery? David Combs Home Repair 27 January 4th 10 08:05 AM
snow, and the sound of snow dougreed Electronics Repair 4 August 9th 06 02:42 AM
WAY OT - HOW TO MAKE SNOW AND BUILD A HOMEMADE SNOW GUN J T Woodworking 0 August 6th 04 06:41 AM