Old February 18th 21, 10:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 20:36:42 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I bought one of those one winter when there wasn't a snow shovel to be
found but didn't really like it. Now I have three snow shovels in
various states of repair. Those plastic D handles don't hold up but I
found replacements on Amazon. One is an old school steel blade that's
great for chopping hardpack but it noticeably heavier when throwing snow.

Yes, thanks for all that info. People always wanted to know how many snow
shovels you own. Thanks!

Old February 18th 21, 10:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 20:32:04 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

The neighbors think I'm weird but I was raised in upstate NY. At the
start of the season I push the snow back much wider than the driveway.
The berm gets higher and the driveway narrower as the winter goes on.

One year a woman decided the nice,

Did you learn how to gossip from HER? I mean you must have learned it
somewhere. Or does it come naturally to you, senile gossip? BG
Old February 18th 21, 01:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default shovelling snow

On 2/17/2021 6:35 PM, wrote:

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228

Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?

I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.

John T.

I've never seen one with a track drive. My Troy Bilt with wheels has no
problem. I would also be concerned that the track might be too
aggressive in pushing against hard packed snow as if you are not careful
you might be replacing shear pins or worse damaging the blades. I
recall years ago my neighbor doing his drive hit his newspaper buried in
the snow and warped the blades on his snow thrower.
Old February 18th 21, 02:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2021 12:24 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 22:44:38 -0600, Snag wrote:

On 2/17/2021 9:32 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/17/2021 12:03 PM, wrote:
ISTR in 2013 we got 60 inches of snow over the course of the winter, with
precious little thawing until spring.* Even the snowblower was having a
hard time throwing snow up over the piles next to the driveway.

The neighbors think I'm weird but I was raised in upstate NY. At the
start of the season I push the snow back much wider than the driveway.
The berm gets higher and the driveway narrower as the winter goes on.

One year a woman decided the nice, wide driveway was a great place to
turn around except where she puled in was actually the lawn. Her father
came by the next day with his truck to extract her.

Maybe it isn't just my style that amuses the neighbors. Most of them
consider snow is what 4 wheel drive is made for. I have an ulterior
motive. The clearer I keep it, the faster it melts off in the spring so
I can get one of the bikes on the road.

I like the way you think . If it wasn't so much work for so little
gain there would be a set of chains on the back and a ski on the front
of that Sportster trike . I can barely imagine the trouble I could get
into on a rig like that . Capable of speeds in excess of 100 miles per
hour , what could possibly go wrong ?

That's snowmobile performance. Ask my kid brother what kind of
trouble that can get you into. Long ago we gave up comparing him to a
cat - he'd outlasted a whole litter of kittens at 9 lives each - - -

I can only imagine ... I haven't been on a snomo in almost 40 years ,
since we moved from Utahaha . Dad had a Skidoo 640 that was capable of
speeds that I found scary , and the new machines are much much lighter
and waaaayyyy more powerful .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
Old February 18th 21, 03:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/17/2021 09:44 PM, Snag wrote:
I like the way you think . If it wasn't so much work for so little
gain there would be a set of chains on the back and a ski on the front
of that Sportster trike . I can barely imagine the trouble I could get
into on a rig like that . Capable of speeds in excess of 100 miles per
hour , what could possibly go wrong ?

https://www.timbersled.com/en-us/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R43w02mePR4

I don't think they make a kit for the DR650. Just as well. I have seen a
couple of conversions. I was puzzled walking up the trail and seeing
what looked like the spoor of a very narrow sled.

Old February 18th 21, 03:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/17/2021 11:24 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
That's snowmobile performance. Ask my kid brother what kind of
trouble that can get you into. Long ago we gave up comparing him to a
cat - he'd outlasted a whole litter of kittens at 9 lives each - - -

Big thing here is high marking. It's a lot of fun until you trigger an
avalanche. With motorcycle hill climbs the whole damn hill doesn't come
down on you.

Old February 18th 21, 05:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 5:17:29 PM UTC-5, Oliver George wrote:
On 2/17/21 2:03 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 1:32:45 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
BTW. after all these years, I have a new improved way of shoveling the
sidewalk, that's faster, better, and takes less effort.

The whole word "shoveling" seems like the wrong word now because surely
shovel ling meant putting the shovel under the snow and lifting it and
throwing it to the side.

The last two times, I used a spade, with a flat end. Just put it end
down on the sidewalk and slide it to the side. Lift it an inch or two
and do the next row of snow.

No lifting the shovel or the snow, no throwing it, and for a guy with
breathing problems some times (well, only when I'm working hard), I can
do four times as much without getting running out of breath. 60 feet
instead of 15.

I hate to break it to you, but that's how all of us old farts shovel snow.

Of course, after a few snowfalls without a thaw in between, one does have
to lift the snow up over the piles of snow at the edge of the sidewalk.

ISTR in 2013 we got 60 inches of snow over the course of the winter, with
precious little thawing until spring. Even the snowblower was having a
hard time throwing snow up over the piles next to the driveway.

Cindy Hamilton

What kind of snowflake blower do you have? My little 19hp JD can hit the 7kV primary over my driveway.

In 2013 we had some sort of Toro. A single-stage jobbie with those rubber flappers.
We have some colored and stamped concrete that we don't want to tear up.

We replaced it this year with a Honda. I think it's this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Equipment-HS720AA-Single-Stage-Control/dp/B00P4QORJK

Cindy Hamilton
Old February 18th 21, 05:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:01:24 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:

On the rare occasions I need to move snow , I much prefer to use my
yard tractor with the 48" blade on the front ...

Nice. Our yard tractor isn't quite powerful enough for that. We did the
math on buying a bigger tractor. I figured we'd just save the money
toward hiring it done when I get too feeble to use the snowblower. We'll
probably phase it in: do it myself for up to 6 inches and hire someone to
do it for anything deeper than that. Then after a while just sit in the
house and watch someone else do it all.

Not as much fun as hiring landscapers. The snow-removal guys have to
keep their shirts on.

Cindy Hamilton
Old February 18th 21, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 2:13:02 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

I don't see any point to clearing a 4-foot wide path when I only need 8
inches.

Doesn't your city require the sidewalks be completely cleared? Ann Arbor
does, and if you don't clear your sidewalk they'll do it for you and bill you
for it.

4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does

Or a 4-car driveway. When I had a driveway, I only cleared a path for
the tires.

That works if the snow isn't very deep. I've several times been "beached"
when the snow was substantially deeper than the ground clearance of my
car. One memorable occasion was in the parking lot at work: it was fine
when I went to work in the morning but so much came down during the
day I actually needed the shovel that I keep in the car.

Cindy Hamilton

Shovelling cut grass John Rumm UK diy 14 April 7th 14 08:01 PM
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ! ! ! Ed Pawlowskio Home Repair 29 October 31st 11 04:27 AM
Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery? David Combs Home Repair 27 January 4th 10 09:05 AM
snow, and the sound of snow dougreed Electronics Repair 4 August 9th 06 03:42 AM
WAY OT - HOW TO MAKE SNOW AND BUILD A HOMEMADE SNOW GUN J T Woodworking 0 August 6th 04 07:41 AM