Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default shovelling snow

" wrote in message
On Friday, February 19, 2021 at 5:33:25 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 19 Feb 2021 01:22:01 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

You wear knee-high boots to get to and into the car? ANd when the snow

We parked in the garage then.

HAven't been able to put a car in the garage for over 30 years. The
80 corolla was a snug fit without my tool box and the Myford lathe and
Lincoln Tombstone welder - not to mention the bikes etc

We had a two car garage but only one car, so we still had room.

In Baltimore and maybe many other places, they didn't even have garages
for many expensive houses into the 70's, just carports.

But since then, for houses of almost all prices, they build a lot of
two-car garages with 2 single doors and a post in the middle.

So for the whole time you live ther, you have to have the empty part of
your garage in just the right place, and you risk hitting the door frame
every time you go in or out.

How much more would it cost to make the lintel stronger and put in one
double-wide garage door?

Bah. I've got an old garage with two doors. It's made of concrete block.
Just pay some attention to what you're doing when you pull in or out.

If you're building 1 garage, the cost of a stronger lintel is in the
noise. If
you're building 1000 garages, now you're starting to talk real money.

But its not necessarily more expensive to have just one door.