Old February 17th 21, 07:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default shovelling snow

BTW. after all these years, I have a new improved way of shoveling the
sidewalk, that's faster, better, and takes less effort.

The whole word "shoveling" seems like the wrong word now because surely
shovel ling meant putting the shovel under the snow and lifting it and
throwing it to the side.

The last two times, I used a spade, with a flat end. Just put it end
down on the sidewalk and slide it to the side. Lift it an inch or two
and do the next row of snow.

No lifting the shovel or the snow, no throwing it, and for a guy with
breathing problems some times (well, only when I'm working hard), I can
do four times as much without getting running out of breath. 60 feet
instead of 15.

BTW, my father bought the spade around 1945 and except for some of the
blue paint on the side of the handle wearing off, it's still as good as
new.

Like this but the blade is not stainless and it's even flatter at the
end.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosmere-Jacks...D0/ref=sr_1_49

Old February 17th 21, 08:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 1:32:45 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
BTW. after all these years, I have a new improved way of shoveling the
sidewalk, that's faster, better, and takes less effort.

The whole word "shoveling" seems like the wrong word now because surely
shovel ling meant putting the shovel under the snow and lifting it and
throwing it to the side.

The last two times, I used a spade, with a flat end. Just put it end
down on the sidewalk and slide it to the side. Lift it an inch or two
and do the next row of snow.

No lifting the shovel or the snow, no throwing it, and for a guy with
breathing problems some times (well, only when I'm working hard), I can
do four times as much without getting running out of breath. 60 feet
instead of 15.

I hate to break it to you, but that's how all of us old farts shovel snow.

Of course, after a few snowfalls without a thaw in between, one does have
to lift the snow up over the piles of snow at the edge of the sidewalk.

ISTR in 2013 we got 60 inches of snow over the course of the winter, with
precious little thawing until spring. Even the snowblower was having a
hard time throwing snow up over the piles next to the driveway.

Cindy Hamilton
Old February 17th 21, 09:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 1:03:05 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Maybe Micky should look into getting some sort of floor scraper. I use an
old fashioned grain scoop shovel.
https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/i/m/image_22419.jpg
Old February 17th 21, 11:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/21 2:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

What kind of snowflake blower do you have? My little 19hp JD can hit the 7kV primary over my driveway.
Old February 18th 21, 12:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 13:32:39 -0500, micky
wrote:

[...]

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour. If it snows less than 3 inches at a time I
clear it with the 22 inch Garrant Yukon Ergonomic snow pusher
(https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/21-inch...r/4Y9TPF0SXRMR)
in about the same amount of time.

Old February 18th 21, 12:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228

Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?

I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.

John T.

Old February 18th 21, 12:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:35:02 -0500, wrote:

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228

Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?

I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.

John T.

Found it - it's the wee little of their line-up :-)

https://tinyurl.com/1mz23orq

John T.

Old February 18th 21, 01:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228

Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?

I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.

John T.

Found it - it's the wee little of their line-up :-)

https://tinyurl.com/1mz23orq

John T.

Nice, but pricey. I had an $800 Arians that got the job done for my
needs. Sold it to my neighbor when I went south.

It was fun the day after a good snowfall, but the slush and slop and
sand after was always a mess. I don't miss that part of it.
Old February 18th 21, 02:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2021 1:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

On the rare occasions I need to move snow , I much prefer to use my
yard tractor with the 48" blade on the front ...
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
Old February 18th 21, 02:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228
Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?
I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.
John T.

Found it - it's the wee little of their line-up :-)
https://tinyurl.com/1mz23orq
John T.

Nice, but pricey. I had an $800 Arians that got the job done for my
needs. Sold it to my neighbor when I went south.
It was fun the day after a good snowfall, but the slush and slop and
sand after was always a mess. I don't miss that part of it.

$ 800. US ~ $ 1000. Loonies.

That's the price-point for the cheaper snowblowers -
- Ariens start at ~ $ 1500. here-abouts.
.... still - half the price of the Yamaha.
John T.

Shovelling cut grass John Rumm UK diy 14 April 7th 14 08:01 PM
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ! ! ! Ed Pawlowskio Home Repair 29 October 31st 11 04:27 AM
Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery? David Combs Home Repair 27 January 4th 10 09:05 AM
snow, and the sound of snow dougreed Electronics Repair 4 August 9th 06 03:42 AM
WAY OT - HOW TO MAKE SNOW AND BUILD A HOMEMADE SNOW GUN J T Woodworking 0 August 6th 04 07:41 AM