Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shovelling snow

BTW. after all these years, I have a new improved way of shoveling the
sidewalk, that's faster, better, and takes less effort.

The whole word "shoveling" seems like the wrong word now because surely
shovel ling meant putting the shovel under the snow and lifting it and
throwing it to the side.

The last two times, I used a spade, with a flat end. Just put it end
down on the sidewalk and slide it to the side. Lift it an inch or two
and do the next row of snow.

No lifting the shovel or the snow, no throwing it, and for a guy with
breathing problems some times (well, only when I'm working hard), I can
do four times as much without getting running out of breath. 60 feet
instead of 15.

BTW, my father bought the spade around 1945 and except for some of the
blue paint on the side of the handle wearing off, it's still as good as
new.

Like this but the blade is not stainless and it's even flatter at the
end.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosmere-Jacks...D0/ref=sr_1_49
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 1:32:45 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
BTW. after all these years, I have a new improved way of shoveling the
sidewalk, that's faster, better, and takes less effort.

The whole word "shoveling" seems like the wrong word now because surely
shovel ling meant putting the shovel under the snow and lifting it and
throwing it to the side.

The last two times, I used a spade, with a flat end. Just put it end
down on the sidewalk and slide it to the side. Lift it an inch or two
and do the next row of snow.

No lifting the shovel or the snow, no throwing it, and for a guy with
breathing problems some times (well, only when I'm working hard), I can
do four times as much without getting running out of breath. 60 feet
instead of 15.

I hate to break it to you, but that's how all of us old farts shovel snow.

Of course, after a few snowfalls without a thaw in between, one does have
to lift the snow up over the piles of snow at the edge of the sidewalk.

ISTR in 2013 we got 60 inches of snow over the course of the winter, with
precious little thawing until spring. Even the snowblower was having a
hard time throwing snow up over the piles next to the driveway.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 1:03:05 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Maybe Micky should look into getting some sort of floor scraper. I use an
old fashioned grain scoop shovel.
https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/i/m/image_22419.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/21 2:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

What kind of snowflake blower do you have? My little 19hp JD can hit the 7kV primary over my driveway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 13:32:39 -0500, micky
wrote:

[...]

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour. If it snows less than 3 inches at a time I
clear it with the 22 inch Garrant Yukon Ergonomic snow pusher
(https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/21-inch...r/4Y9TPF0SXRMR)
in about the same amount of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228

Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?

I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:35:02 -0500, wrote:

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228

Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?

I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.

John T.

Found it - it's the wee little of their line-up :-)

https://tinyurl.com/1mz23orq

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228

Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?

I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.

John T.

Found it - it's the wee little of their line-up :-)

https://tinyurl.com/1mz23orq

John T.

Nice, but pricey. I had an $800 Arians that got the job done for my
needs. Sold it to my neighbor when I went south.

It was fun the day after a good snowfall, but the slush and slop and
sand after was always a mess. I don't miss that part of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2021 1:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

On the rare occasions I need to move snow , I much prefer to use my
yard tractor with the 48" blade on the front ...
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228
Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?
I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.
John T.

Found it - it's the wee little of their line-up :-)
https://tinyurl.com/1mz23orq
John T.

Nice, but pricey. I had an $800 Arians that got the job done for my
needs. Sold it to my neighbor when I went south.
It was fun the day after a good snowfall, but the slush and slop and
sand after was always a mess. I don't miss that part of it.

$ 800. US ~ $ 1000. Loonies.

That's the price-point for the cheaper snowblowers -
- Ariens start at ~ $ 1500. here-abouts.
.... still - half the price of the Yamaha.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/17/2021 12:03 PM, wrote:
ISTR in 2013 we got 60 inches of snow over the course of the winter, with
precious little thawing until spring. Even the snowblower was having a
hard time throwing snow up over the piles next to the driveway.

The neighbors think I'm weird but I was raised in upstate NY. At the
start of the season I push the snow back much wider than the driveway.
The berm gets higher and the driveway narrower as the winter goes on.

One year a woman decided the nice, wide driveway was a great place to
turn around except where she puled in was actually the lawn. Her father
came by the next day with his truck to extract her.

Maybe it isn't just my style that amuses the neighbors. Most of them
consider snow is what 4 wheel drive is made for. I have an ulterior
motive. The clearer I keep it, the faster it melts off in the spring so
I can get one of the bikes on the road.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/17/2021 01:55 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Maybe Micky should look into getting some sort of floor scraper. I use an
old fashioned grain scoop shovel.
https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/i/m/image_22419.jpg

I bought one of those one winter when there wasn't a snow shovel to be
found but didn't really like it. Now I have three snow shovels in
various states of repair. Those plastic D handles don't hold up but I
found replacements on Amazon. One is an old school steel blade that's
great for chopping hardpack but it noticeably heavier when throwing snow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The neighbors think I'm weird but I was raised in upstate NY. At the
start of the season I push the snow back much wider than the driveway.
The berm gets higher and the driveway narrower as the winter goes on.

+ 1

Nothing worse than having 2 inches of snow fall from the sky -
and a bit of wind - making it 2 feet deep !
between the banks of the driveway !
.. keep it flat - the wind blows it on
to the neighbours .
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2021 9:32 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/17/2021 12:03 PM, wrote:
ISTR in 2013 we got 60 inches of snow over the course of the winter, with
precious little thawing until spring.Â* Even the snowblower was having a
hard time throwing snow up over the piles next to the driveway.

The neighbors think I'm weird but I was raised in upstate NY. At the
start of the season I push the snow back much wider than the driveway.
The berm gets higher and the driveway narrower as the winter goes on.

One year a woman decided the nice, wide driveway was a great place to
turn around except where she puled in was actually the lawn. Her father
came by the next day with his truck to extract her.

Maybe it isn't just my style that amuses the neighbors. Most of them
consider snow is what 4 wheel drive is made for. I have an ulterior
motive. The clearer I keep it, the faster it melts off in the spring so
I can get one of the bikes on the road.

I like the way you think . If it wasn't so much work for so little
gain there would be a set of chains on the back and a ski on the front
of that Sportster trike . I can barely imagine the trouble I could get
into on a rig like that . Capable of speeds in excess of 100 miles per
hour , what could possibly go wrong ?
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
We shot them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:35:02 -0500, wrote:

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228

Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?

I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.

John T.

I think they were about 2400 new - I paid $900 for mine 3 years old
with one or 2 seasons of use, The Hydro drive is it's strong point -
and the tracks have a LOT more traction than tires. Turning is an art
- you tip it up on the ends of the tracks and you can turn it on a
dime - or you can attempt to man-handle it flat. The 12 volt electric
start is nice too. The only thing I don't like is how complex it is to
change belts!!! Takes about 3 hours by the time you've done it 2 or 3
tomes compared to about 20 minutes on an old MTD or Canadiana.
Definitely the best blower I have owned or used and worth every penny
I paid for it. Would have likely been worth it at new price too, but
I'm CHEAP!!!! (My last blower was about 35 or 40 years old Noma
Canadiana 528 - I bought it used 15 years old for $300 and sold it for
$350 after a bad blizzard when I was finished with it.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228

Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?

I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.

John T.

Found it - it's the wee little of their line-up :-)

https://tinyurl.com/1mz23orq

John T.

Nice, but pricey. I had an $800 Arians that got the job done for my
needs. Sold it to my neighbor when I went south.

It was fun the day after a good snowfall, but the slush and slop and
sand after was always a mess. I don't miss that part of it.

The old Ariens were bulletproof - I maintain a 50 year old one and
it just keeps going and going and going. Had to replace the fuel tank
this year - it had cracked. The new ones - at least the consumer grafe
crap you buy at Home Despot etc are CRAP!!!!!
I liked the old Ariens Pro with the locking differential and the auger
lockout lever. The old Simplicitied and Hahn Eclipse units were good
too. That said you will have to pry the hydrostatic drive controls of
my Yammy out of my cold dead hands!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/17/2021 12:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

That's snowmobile performance. Ask my kid brother what kind of
trouble that can get you into. Long ago we gave up comparing him to a
cat - he'd outlasted a whole litter of kittens at 9 lives each - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Feb 2021 11:03:01 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 1:32:45 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
BTW. after all these years, I have a new improved way of shoveling the
sidewalk, that's faster, better, and takes less effort.

The whole word "shoveling" seems like the wrong word now because surely
shovel ling meant putting the shovel under the snow and lifting it and
throwing it to the side.

The last two times, I used a spade, with a flat end. Just put it end
down on the sidewalk and slide it to the side. Lift it an inch or two
and do the next row of snow.

No lifting the shovel or the snow, no throwing it, and for a guy with
breathing problems some times (well, only when I'm working hard), I can
do four times as much without getting running out of breath. 60 feet
instead of 15.

I hate to break it to you, but that's how all of us old farts shovel snow.

Who knew?

Of course, after a few snowfalls without a thaw in between, one does have
to lift the snow up over the piles of snow at the edge of the sidewalk.

Even in INdiana, where it was colder than here, we didn't have that much
snow.

I had a 150 foot driveway to shovel but I only shoveled where the tires
were to go. It was up to my mother to back up within those two 1-foot
paths. She did pretty good.

ISTR in 2013 we got 60 inches of snow over the course of the winter, with
precious little thawing until spring. Even the snowblower was having a
hard time throwing snow up over the piles next to the driveway.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't see any point to clearing a 4-foot wide path when I only need 8
inches.

4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does

Or a 4-car driveway. When I had a driveway, I only cleared a path for
the tires.

it in about half an hour. If it snows less than 3 inches at a time I
clear it with the 22 inch Garrant Yukon Ergonomic snow pusher
(https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/21-inch...r/4Y9TPF0SXRMR)
in about the same amount of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 20:36:42 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I bought one of those one winter when there wasn't a snow shovel to be
found but didn't really like it. Now I have three snow shovels in
various states of repair. Those plastic D handles don't hold up but I
found replacements on Amazon. One is an old school steel blade that's
great for chopping hardpack but it noticeably heavier when throwing snow.

Yes, thanks for all that info. People always wanted to know how many snow
shovels you own. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 20:32:04 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

The neighbors think I'm weird but I was raised in upstate NY. At the
start of the season I push the snow back much wider than the driveway.
The berm gets higher and the driveway narrower as the winter goes on.

One year a woman decided the nice,

Did you learn how to gossip from HER? I mean you must have learned it
somewhere. Or does it come naturally to you, senile gossip? BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2021 6:35 PM, wrote:

It would take all day to clear 180 deet of 4 foot wide sidewalk and a
4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does
it in about half an hour.

Used ones sell for a pretty price - what's it cost new ! ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/s...624/1549622228

Is the track-drive a good thing ? turn radius issues ?

I'm considering a blower for next year - I've always just used
a big walk-behind scoop to good effect.

John T.

I've never seen one with a track drive. My Troy Bilt with wheels has no
problem. I would also be concerned that the track might be too
aggressive in pushing against hard packed snow as if you are not careful
you might be replacing shear pins or worse damaging the blades. I
recall years ago my neighbor doing his drive hit his newspaper buried in
the snow and warped the blades on his snow thrower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/17/2021 12:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

I can only imagine ... I haven't been on a snomo in almost 40 years ,
since we moved from Utahaha . Dad had a Skidoo 640 that was capable of
speeds that I found scary , and the new machines are much much lighter
and waaaayyyy more powerful .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
We shot them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/17/2021 09:44 PM, Snag wrote:
I like the way you think . If it wasn't so much work for so little
gain there would be a set of chains on the back and a ski on the front
of that Sportster trike . I can barely imagine the trouble I could get
into on a rig like that . Capable of speeds in excess of 100 miles per
hour , what could possibly go wrong ?

https://www.timbersled.com/en-us/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R43w02mePR4

I don't think they make a kit for the DR650. Just as well. I have seen a
couple of conversions. I was puzzled walking up the trail and seeing
what looked like the spoor of a very narrow sled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/17/2021 11:24 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
That's snowmobile performance. Ask my kid brother what kind of
trouble that can get you into. Long ago we gave up comparing him to a
cat - he'd outlasted a whole litter of kittens at 9 lives each - - -

Big thing here is high marking. It's a lot of fun until you trigger an
avalanche. With motorcycle hill climbs the whole damn hill doesn't come
down on you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 5:17:29 PM UTC-5, Oliver George wrote:
On 2/17/21 2:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

In 2013 we had some sort of Toro. A single-stage jobbie with those rubber flappers.
We have some colored and stamped concrete that we don't want to tear up.

We replaced it this year with a Honda. I think it's this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Equipment-HS720AA-Single-Stage-Control/dp/B00P4QORJK

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:01:24 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:

On the rare occasions I need to move snow , I much prefer to use my
yard tractor with the 48" blade on the front ...

Nice. Our yard tractor isn't quite powerful enough for that. We did the
math on buying a bigger tractor. I figured we'd just save the money
toward hiring it done when I get too feeble to use the snowblower. We'll
probably phase it in: do it myself for up to 6 inches and hire someone to
do it for anything deeper than that. Then after a while just sit in the
house and watch someone else do it all.

Not as much fun as hiring landscapers. The snow-removal guys have to
keep their shirts on.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 2:13:02 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

I don't see any point to clearing a 4-foot wide path when I only need 8
inches.

Doesn't your city require the sidewalks be completely cleared? Ann Arbor
does, and if you don't clear your sidewalk they'll do it for you and bill you
for it.

4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does

Or a 4-car driveway. When I had a driveway, I only cleared a path for
the tires.

That works if the snow isn't very deep. I've several times been "beached"
when the snow was substantially deeper than the ground clearance of my
car. One memorable occasion was in the parking lot at work: it was fine
when I went to work in the morning but so much came down during the
day I actually needed the shovel that I keep in the car.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:34:20 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 2:13:02 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

I don't see any point to clearing a 4-foot wide path when I only need 8
inches.

Doesn't your city require the sidewalks be completely cleared? Ann Arbor

I think so, but I can't believe that includes cleaning the whole width.

does, and if you don't clear your sidewalk they'll do it for you and bill you
for it.

That's never happened to me or any of my neighbors afaik. Maybe because
we own our own streets**.

So it's more likely the HOA would do that, but even the law gives us 24
or 48 hours and I'm sure the HOA settles for 8 inches. Well, actually I
guess I used to do two widths of an 8" shovel, 16 inches. I'm not sure
the HOA has ever given a snow shoveling fine.

With Covid, only the mailman comes to visit, and he doens't come 6 days
a week like he used to.I'm pretty sure because my house is out of the
way, I think he saves up mail until I have several pieces and only then
delivers it. (Plus I get a weekly newspaper that sometimes comes a
month late, or two issues at one time.) Apparently this is a problem in
many n'hoods, and Maryland Congressmen have complained to DeJoy, who is
still postmaster general. Biden doesn't have the authority to fire him,
although he could add people to the Board and the Board could fire him.
That's the kind of thing that traditional politicians are loathe to do.

** (We'd like to give them to the county, so that we didnt' have to pay
for maintenance, but they are not thick enough. We repave them every so
often but I never got straight if more layers of blacktop get them
closer to the county requiremnt. Even 20 years ago repaving cost
100,000 dollars for the 109 of us, and the neighbors are eager to spend
910 dollars a piece. I suppose i could have moved to a n'hood with
richer people, but I love my lot and my stream. I haven't seen a better
lot in my price range in all the years I've lived here. Still I'm stuck
among a bunch of newer people here who have less money than I do. The
ones who were here when I got here with as much or more money stayed
here a few years and moved, when they had children, or even when they
didn't have children.)

4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does

Or a 4-car driveway. When I had a driveway, I only cleared a path for
the tires.

That works if the snow isn't very deep. I've several times been "beached"
when the snow was substantially deeper than the ground clearance of my
car. One memorable occasion was in the parking lot at work: it was fine
when I went to work in the morning but so much came down during the
day I actually needed the shovel that I keep in the car.

I hope you don't mind my laughing.

I've only been beached once, in the summer. There was a pile of dirt
maybe 6 feet tall and I had a crazy idea to drive over it. I got a
running start but only got part way. When I got out of the car I saw
that all four wheels were off the ground! I was working with a crew
that was putting down steel reinforcement for a new interstate hway, so
I found the guy who drove the little crane, and after lunch he picked
one end of my car up and pulled it off the dirt. I was lucky.

This was a '50 Oldsmobile and it had both a rectangular frame and an
X-frame so all that protected the car's underside and muffler. Lucky
again.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Feb 2021 12:01:37 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

That works if the snow isn't very deep. I've several times been "beached"
when the snow was substantially deeper than the ground clearance of my
car. One memorable occasion was in the parking lot at work: it was fine
when I went to work in the morning but so much came down during the
day I actually needed the shovel that I keep in the car.

I kept a shovel in the car during the winter for many years. Used it at
least once to dig myself out of the snow.

A couple years ago, during good weather, I got stuck in the dirt, the
finest dust I've ever seen for dirt. So it wasn't a pile of dirt, just
dust several inches deep that the tires spun in. Rental car, I found a
big crushed soda bottle I used as a shovel and dug myelf out. .

In the middle of NC where I live we don't often get more than 4 to 6
inches of snow at one time. However one year we got about 12 to 14
inches. I got in my car about 3 in the afternoon. Backed up out of the
parking space and was 'beached'. All wheels were off the pavement and

!!!

the car (1994 Pontack Ventura) was sitting on the frame. Had to go back
in and sleep over that night. It is a large plant with about 700 people
working each shift. The plant runs 24 hours a day. Some agency brought
in some cots and blankets for us to sleep on. All was not a total loss
as I did work the 2nd shift and got paid for it.

Very good.

I am retired now and if we have much snow I just stay home. The

Even better.

driveway is about 200 feet from the house to the road and about 100 feet
of it is slightly up hill. In the country so no sidewalks to clean off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 2:13:02 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

I don't see any point to clearing a 4-foot wide path when I only need 8
inches.

Doesn't your city require the sidewalks be completely cleared? Ann Arbor

I think so, but I can't believe that includes cleaning the whole width.

Yes, it does:

https://www.a2gov.org/departments/police/units/Pages/Snow-and-Ice-Removal-on-Sidewalks.aspx

Wheelchair access, for one thing.

If people didn't clean the whole width, it would be pretty challenging by the end
of a normal winter to do any shoveling at all. Our average annual snowfall is
42", although we generally lose some of that to thawing. Still, people trudging
along would knock down the unshoveled snow, pack it down, and it would
turn to ice.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 2:13:02 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

I don't see any point to clearing a 4-foot wide path when I only need 8
inches.

Doesn't your city require the sidewalks be completely cleared? Ann Arbor

I think so, but I can't believe that includes cleaning the whole width.

does, and if you don't clear your sidewalk they'll do it for you and bill you
for it.

That's never happened to me or any of my neighbors afaik. Maybe because
we own our own streets**.

So it's more likely the HOA would do that, but even the law gives us 24
or 48 hours and I'm sure the HOA settles for 8 inches. Well, actually I
guess I used to do two widths of an 8" shovel, 16 inches. I'm not sure
the HOA has ever given a snow shoveling fine.

Our HOA has no regulations on snow.

When I lived in Philly and CT it was the full sidewalk. though in CT
where I lived we had no sidewalk and the street was plowed to the curb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The city requires the sidewalk to be CLEARED within 24 hours of
snowfall

4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does

Or a 4-car driveway. When I had a driveway, I only cleared a path for
the tires.

You wear knee-high boots to get to and into the car? ANd when the snow
freezes you tear your muffler off? You use your bumper as a plough to
push the snow from behind or infront of the car???? The plogh can
leace 2 pile 2 feet deepand 2 or 3 feet wide across the end of the
driveway. You MIGHT get out once - You MIGHT get in once, but I can
almost guarantee you well be spending money on exhaust repairs.

Not to mention the mail man and couriers will NOT deliver if the
driveway is not shovelled (the friveway is the "sidewalk" to the front
foor.

it in about half an hour. If it snows less than 3 inches at a time I
clear it with the 22 inch Garrant Yukon Ergonomic snow pusher
(https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/21-inch...r/4Y9TPF0SXRMR)
in about the same amount of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/21 2:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

We call those snow throwers - or power shovels. The work good for
loose snow - not bad for wet - but no good for frozen packed snow or
snow with a heavy ice coating. Sometimes you NEED wheel drive or track
drive to motivate the thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't see any point to clearing a 4-foot wide path when I only need 8
inches.

The city requires the sidewalk to be CLEARED within 24 hours of
snowfall

4 car deiveway of 8 inches of snow with that thing!!!. The YT624 does

Or a 4-car driveway. When I had a driveway, I only cleared a path for
the tires.

You wear knee-high boots to get to and into the car? ANd when the snow
freezes you tear your muffler off? You use your bumper as a plough to
push the snow from behind or infront of the car???? The plogh can
leace 2 pile 2 feet deepand 2 or 3 feet wide across the end of the
driveway. You MIGHT get out once - You MIGHT get in once, but I can
almost guarantee you well be spending money on exhaust repairs.

Nah, not a problem. Micky is in Baltimore and I grew up in Philly,
about 90 miles north of it. A four inch snowfall does not need knee
high boots or tear out your muffler. Where I lived in Philly only the
main streets were plowed. Every few years you got a 12" storm. The
average annual snowfall is only 13" spread out over the winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 2:13:02 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

I don't see any point to clearing a 4-foot wide path when I only need 8
inches.

Doesn't your city require the sidewalks be completely cleared? Ann Arbor

I think so, but I can't believe that includes cleaning the whole width.

does, and if you don't clear your sidewalk they'll do it for you and bill you
for it.

That's never happened to me or any of my neighbors afaik. Maybe because
we own our own streets**.

So it's more likely the HOA would do that, but even the law gives us 24
or 48 hours and I'm sure the HOA settles for 8 inches. Well, actually I
guess I used to do two widths of an 8" shovel, 16 inches. I'm not sure
the HOA has ever given a snow shoveling fine.

Our HOA has no regulations on snow.

You need some. Even if you are in Florida.

When I lived in Philly and CT it was the full sidewalk. though in CT

Wow. I'm going to pretend I never read your answer or angelica's.

where I lived we had no sidewalk and the street was plowed to the curb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We parked in the garage then.

freezes you tear your muffler off? You use your bumper as a plough to
push the snow from behind or infront of the car???? The plogh can
leace 2 pile 2 feet deepand 2 or 3 feet wide across the end of the
driveway. You MIGHT get out once - You MIGHT get in once, but I can
almost guarantee you well be spending money on exhaust repairs.

Not to mention the mail man and couriers will NOT deliver if the
driveway is not shovelled (the friveway is the "sidewalk" to the front
foor.

The mailbox was at the road. And if we got one package delivered a year
that was a lot. (This was quite a few years ago, but now, I'm not going
to buy anything online until the snow melts. I did shovel for the
grocery delivery..)

it in about half an hour. If it snows less than 3 inches at a time I
clear it with the 22 inch Garrant Yukon Ergonomic snow pusher
(https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/21-inch...r/4Y9TPF0SXRMR)
in about the same amount of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

Not where I live. There may be a few times when it dusted the lawns up
where Ed lives but water doesn't freeze down here. We have plumbing
outside.

Shovelling cut grass John Rumm UK diy 14 April 7th 14 07:01 PM
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ! ! ! Ed Pawlowskio Home Repair 29 October 31st 11 03:27 AM
Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery? David Combs Home Repair 27 January 4th 10 08:05 AM
snow, and the sound of snow dougreed Electronics Repair 4 August 9th 06 02:42 AM
WAY OT - HOW TO MAKE SNOW AND BUILD A HOMEMADE SNOW GUN J T Woodworking 0 August 6th 04 06:41 AM