Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shovelling cut grass

What implement have you find is the best for shifting large piles of cut
grass?

Currently I use a large snow shovel, which is ok if its very fresh and
loose, and you have a reasonably firm base to scoop off. However the
moment it starts to compost it becomes difficult to "get under" in and
lift a whole scope at a time. I was wondering if a long handled pitch
fork would be a better choice?

(mainly for moving it a few yards from where the mower can drop it, into
a bigger compost pile in the corner)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
What implement have you find is the best for shifting large piles of cut
grass?

Currently I use a large snow shovel, which is ok if its very fresh and
loose, and you have a reasonably firm base to scoop off. However the
moment it starts to compost it becomes difficult to "get under" in and
lift a whole scope at a time. I was wondering if a long handled pitch fork
would be a better choice?

(mainly for moving it a few yards from where the mower can drop it, into a
bigger compost pile in the corner)

--
Cheers,

John.

I find one of those multi-tined forks, as used for mucking out horses, very
good for exactly this purpose. AKA shavings fork. A quick scrape around with
a lawn rake afterwards and it's all gone.
Summat like this perhaps:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Shav...ht_2086wt_1400

All the best,
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2014 00:01, Nick wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Ah, had not heard of those, sounds like it could be ideal.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2014 22:27, John Rumm wrote:
What implement have you find is the best for shifting large piles of cut
grass?

Currently I use a large snow shovel, which is ok if its very fresh and
loose, and you have a reasonably firm base to scoop off. However the
moment it starts to compost it becomes difficult to "get under" in and
lift a whole scope at a time. I was wondering if a long handled pitch
fork would be a better choice?

(mainly for moving it a few yards from where the mower can drop it, into
a bigger compost pile in the corner)

I've always used a grass rake.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-88801...dp/B000MPRWJK/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news:wN2dnQuatNPFsqbOnZ2dnUVZ8iSdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
[...]

I use an old muck fork as well.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 01:41:39 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 01/04/2014 22:27, John Rumm wrote:
What implement have you find is the best for shifting large piles of cut
grass?

Currently I use a large snow shovel, which is ok if its very fresh and
loose, and you have a reasonably firm base to scoop off. However the
moment it starts to compost it becomes difficult to "get under" in and
lift a whole scope at a time. I was wondering if a long handled pitch
fork would be a better choice?

(mainly for moving it a few yards from where the mower can drop it, into
a bigger compost pile in the corner)

I've always used a grass rake.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-88801...dp/B000MPRWJK/

Yup me too. A gloved hand and a rake.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga scribbled...

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

10% off divorces !

Making money out of misery

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:10:53 AM UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 22:27:55 +0100, John Rumm

'Big Hands' garden scoops: http://tinyurl.com/o3c4wnq

--

Chris

What you want is what in Ireland is called a Grape. It is similar in appearance to a garden digging fork except the tines are thin, round and pointed instead of flat. The head also tends to be bigger and the handle longer and thicker. They may be called Manure forks in your neck of the wood
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred
writes

wrote:

What implement have you find is the best for shifting large piles of cut

grass?

What you want is what in Ireland is called a Grape. It is similar in
appearance to a garden digging fork except the tines are thin, round
and pointed instead of flat. The head also tends to be bigger and the
handle longer and thicker. They may be called Manure forks in your neck
of the wood

I use the *chaff* fork left over from thrashing drum days. Wheat or Oats
used to produce huge piles which was saved for mixing with horse feed.
Tines as above but roughly 3 times the size of a manure fork.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes
What implement have you find is the best for shifting large piles of cut
grass?

Currently I use a large snow shovel, which is ok if its very fresh and
loose, and you have a reasonably firm base to scoop off. However the
moment it starts to compost it becomes difficult to "get under" in and
lift a whole scope at a time. I was wondering if a long handled pitch
fork would be a better choice?

(mainly for moving it a few yards from where the mower can drop it, into
a bigger compost pile in the corner)

A bit of hardboard in each hand, sized to suit your strength.

Not shovelling I grant you but having tried a few methods of moving
leaves I've always come back to the old favourite of bits of hardboard
used as hand wideners (grippy side in). It'll shift a ton bag size pile
in no time and no worries about the last few bits moving away from the
shovel, you just scrape the sides into a pile again and pinch it up.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2014 14:29, fred wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Yup I have used the technique for leaves etc, but it does not really
suit the layout in this case since I would have to get into the middle
of the pile myself to be in the right position to shift it back into the
corner. Something with a longish handle will work since I can scoop and
then "throw" it either from the front of the pile or the side of it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2014 20:43, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 01/04/2014 22:27, John Rumm wrote:
What implement have you find is the best for shifting large piles of cut
grass?

Currently I use a large snow shovel, which is ok if its very fresh and
loose, and you have a reasonably firm base to scoop off. However the
moment it starts to compost it becomes difficult to "get under" in and
lift a whole scope at a time. I was wondering if a long handled pitch
fork would be a better choice?

(mainly for moving it a few yards from where the mower can drop it, into
a bigger compost pile in the corner)

wife

I have found sprogs can be quite effective, but they are getting savvy
enough now to expect payment ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 22:27:55 +0100, John Rumm
What implement have you find is the best for shifting large piles of cut
grass?

What you want is what in Ireland is called a Grape. It is similar in
appearance to a garden digging fork except the tines are thin, round and
pointed instead of flat. The head also tends to be bigger and the handle
longer and thicker. They may be called Manure forks in your neck of the wood

Bit late to this party (been away), but: Bang on!

I have a Bulldog Muck Fork, aka a Compost Fork: mine is like this:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ngconga

I've had it about a dozen years, and it's been one of my Top Ten Tools
since the day I bought it. It's infinitely better than a garden fork for
the job.

John

Grass growing on my lawn (are the seeds the same as grass seeds?) Martin C. Home Repair 13 April 14th 12 03:52 PM
grass badgolferman Home Repair 16 October 17th 09 02:41 AM
How not to kill the grass? mm Home Repair 27 December 30th 08 05:07 AM
Rye Grass Freckles Home Repair 14 July 26th 06 01:04 AM
how soon can i mow over new grass? MoJo Home Ownership 1 September 16th 03 10:11 PM