Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Shovelling cut grass

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:10:53 AM UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 22:27:55 +0100, John Rumm

wrote:

What implement have you find is the best for shifting large piles of cut

grass?

Currently I use a large snow shovel, which is ok if its very fresh and

loose, and you have a reasonably firm base to scoop off. However the

moment it starts to compost it becomes difficult to "get under" in and

lift a whole scope at a time. I was wondering if a long handled pitch

fork would be a better choice?

(mainly for moving it a few yards from where the mower can drop it, into

a bigger compost pile in the corner)

'Big Hands' garden scoops: http://tinyurl.com/o3c4wnq

--

Chris

What you want is what in Ireland is called a Grape. It is similar in appearance to a garden digging fork except the tines are thin, round and pointed instead of flat. The head also tends to be bigger and the handle longer and thicker. They may be called Manure forks in your neck of the wood