Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm mm is offline

Default How not to kill the grass?

I need to leave something on the lawn for a few days, and I wonder if
there is a way to avoid damaging the grass. And how long it takes to
start killing the grass. And what the best time of year is for this.

The easiest way to remove my small deck, 4' x 8' that is falling
apart, seems to be to get a bagster www.thebagster.com and put the
wood from my deck in it. 30 for the bag and iirc 130 to have it
removed. (Not the cheapest but the easiest.) 4'wide x 8'long x 2.5'
high, the entire top is open, and it will hold 3300 pounds, they say,
but the 350 or 500 feet equivalent of 2x4 won't weigh anywhere near
that much. How much does a 2x4 weigh per pound? Half are pressure
treated and half aren't. (It will hold 180 8-foot 2x4s and I don't
have more than 70's worth.)

But they don't want the thing on the street, even in the parking lane,
only in the yard or driveway and I have no driveway. I had surgery a
couple months ago and it will take me say 2 days to put all the wood
in it, and it will take them 1 to 3 days to pick it up, they say. So
3 to 5 days total.

The bag is I think polypropylene, not a tight weave, so air will get
through. The end of the first day the bag will be only half full.

Is there something I could put under the bag that would help the grass
underneath?

How long before the grass starts to die?

Does it matter what time of year, how cold out it is? I have more
surgery at the end of January so December/January would be good for
me. If not then it may have to wait until June.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

mm wrote:
[...]

Is this real. A week will not kill the grass. Discolored yes, but it will
bounce back up. I guess that you are in a highly urban neighbourhood
otherwise give the wood to folk who can use it either as mulch or for
heating. You didn't mention whether it had been sprayed with toxins.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Clot wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

Bad netiquette, I know. I've just read your comment on HOAs and appreciate
that you are saying this for real.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:29:13 -0500, mm
wrote:

I need to leave something on the lawn for a few days, and I wonder if
there is a way to avoid damaging the grass. ..

For a few days, there should not be a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Set up a few saw horses over the grass and put the wood on it. Better
for the wood and grass! To answer your question, it all depends,
but I'd give it a week, max. Grass needs light to make its food.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 00:02:05 -0000, "Clot"
wrote:

A week will not kill the grass. Discolored yes, but it will
bounce back up. I guess that you are in a highly urban neighbourhood
otherwise give the wood to folk who can use it either as mulch or for
heating. You didn't mention whether it had been sprayed with toxins.

I did say that about half is pressure treated and half is not. I'd be
glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

I'm not positive how much is treated. I presume the floor boards are
because they have always beem natural color, and are still not rotting
(although half are warped and certainly none are good enough for most
construction)

The 2 foot 4x4's that hold the deck up, but have always been separated
from the ground, are in pretty good shape too. Treated?

The 2x6's running crosswise under the deck are rotteing at the ends,
so I suppose they're not treated.

What have been falling
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

In article ,
mm wrote:

I'd be glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

Sort of depends on where you live, but I'd suggest Craigslist. In my
(prosperous) town, you'd be hard pressed to give away a gold brick if it
had a little tarnish on it. OTOH, in my g.f.'s (not so prosperous) town,
if some piece of junk is too big for the trash can, just set it out by
the curb with a FREE sign and it'll be gone in a half hour.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"mm" wrote in message not. I'd be
glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

You might try the 'freecycle' web site. It is a place where you can list
things to give away. No buying or selling, just give away or list wanted
items for free.
Doubt that someone would take it down for the wood, but you never can tell.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/?noautodetect=1

Go to the state you live in.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Dec 18, 5:29*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

160 for a plastic dumpster, call your garbage co that picks up it
should be cheaper, go to Menards HD in the am, in my area there are
day laborers in the lot that work cheap , 160 might get it all done
and no worry about needing a second surgery. Grass wont die in a week
in summer unless sun hits the bag and cooks it, if it froze completely
its dormant now and wont die till spring when it emerges.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"mm" wrote in message

I need to leave something on the lawn for a few days, and I wonder if
there is a way to avoid damaging the grass. . . .
The easiest way to remove my small deck, 4' x 8' that is falling
apart, seems to be to get a bagster www.thebagster.com and put the
wood from my deck in it. . . .
it will take me say 2 days to put all the wood
in it, and it will take them 1 to 3 days to pick it up, they say. So
3 to 5 days total.

1. If money is (almost) no object, you can pay a contractor
to disassemble and remove the deck and clear up afterwards.
I do not know the price where you live (Australia) but this will
not take a fit man more than an hour or two.
2. You can do the work yourself at your own speed in either
of two styles, for maximum reuse of good pieces of timber
or for disposal with no reuse.
Case 1 means piling the removed timber in two stacks,
on a base of three or four of the biggest timbers laid on
the grass parallel and one foot apart. This causes no
permanent damage to the grass. You can buy a special
deck disassembly tool with enough leverage to rip out
either screws or nails.
Case 2 means your using a chainsaw to cut everything
into max. 4-ft. lengths, easier to throw into a bagster.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"mm" wrote

A week will not kill the grass. Discolored yes, but it will
bounce back up. I guess that you are in a highly urban neighbourhood
otherwise give the wood to folk who can use it either as mulch or for
heating. You didn't mention whether it had been sprayed with toxins.

I did say that about half is pressure treated and half is not. I'd be
glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

Freecycle may work and they will pickup. Thats a local list to hopefully
your area where folks give away stuff vice make more landfill. The person
who wants the stuff picks up. Be honest about the state of the wood and
offer to let them pick out just any pieces they find usable, and you'd
probably get 1/2 or more picked up.

Do mention most seems PT (not burnable, toxic fumes) and you are not sure on
the rest.

The 2x6's running crosswise under the deck are rotteing at the ends,
so I suppose they're not treated.

If you were local to me, these are the parts I'd want. I'd just trim back
the rotting ends. I might have a use for some of the bent but unrotted wood
as well. A simple damp cover for firewood, can be a bit bent fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Dec 19, 9:00*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

[...]

I'd say 5 days or so and the grass will be fine. Much longer if it's
dormant due to cold weather. If it's possible to use some of the wood
to keep the rest of it slightly above the ground so that air can get
in, that would extend the time as well. It can go without sunlight
longer than it can withstand being smothered. left wet, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 05:14:24 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message not. I'd be
glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

You might try the 'freecycle' web site. It is a place where you can list
things to give away. No buying or selling, just give away or list wanted
items for free.
Doubt that someone would take it down for the wood, but you never can tell.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/?noautodetect=1

Go to the state you live in.

You also can try Craigslist in the forsale/free section, plus I prefer
the ReUseIt network over Freecycle: http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/ .
Freecycle has some controversial ties to Waste Management, Inc.,
whereas RRU is unsullied in that corporate way, from what I
understand. I was very successful in giving away an entire PT play
deck/swingset/slide on my local RRU group: the guy came over and
disassembled it and took away what was probably $500 worth of lumber
(lots of 4x4, 2x6, etc.).
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm mm is offline

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message not. I'd be
glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

You might try the 'freecycle' web site. It is a place where you can list
things to give away. No buying or selling, just give away or list wanted
items for free.
Doubt that someone would take it down for the wood, but you never can tell.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/?noautodetect=1

Go to the state you live in.

Thanks, Ralph and cshenk. I signed up, but they said it can be 7
days until I'm approved!

.....Well, I just got an email that they want my full address, and the
cross street. They want me to prove I live in their district, I guess
because there are too many free-nappers out there. I guess Baltimore
used to have just one group, but not it has three outlying groups
covering some parts of Baltimore, and you have to join the one you
live in.

"To foil predatory spammers and ensure you are joining the correct
group, we now require more specific location information." It's
either sad or funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm mm is offline

"mm" wrote in message

1. *If money is (almost) no object, you can pay a contractor
to disassemble and remove the deck and clear up afterwards.
I do not know the price where you live (Australia) but this will
not take a fit man more than an hour or two.
2. *You can do the work yourself at your own speed in either
of two styles, for maximum reuse of good pieces of timber
or for disposal with no reuse.

Money is definitely an object, and I also need at least the exercise
of carrying it from the front yard to the back yard.

Don Phillipson

I'd say 5 days or so and the grass will be fine. Much longer if it's
dormant due to cold weather. If it's possible to use some of the wood
to keep the rest of it slightly above the ground so that air can get

That's a great idea. Phisherman said the same thing. I think I'm
just going to use a couple 4-foot 2x4's and nail a couple one inch
pieces under each of them as legs.

in, that would extend the time as well. It can go without sunlight
longer than it can withstand being smothered. left wet, etc.

Plus some of the floor boards of the deck aren't even warped. The
second floor overhangs the first by about 18 inches, and the 8 foot
boards close to the house are in good condition. I can build an
outdoor fire wood rack with them. I need one of those ever since part
of a tree fell on my yard, but I didn't want to spend money because
once I burn that wood, I'll never have that much wood again. .

Maybe if the craigs or freecycle people take away some and if there is
only a little bit of wood left after all this, I'll use the little
harbor freight trailer to take it to landfill, but maybe not. Too long
a story about the reasons not to.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"mm" wrote
"Ralph Mowery"

Thanks, Ralph and cshenk. I signed up, but they said it can be 7
days until I'm approved!

Standard disclaimer. Some local person, unpaid, maintains it if it's like
my area. I think I had to list my address too (but in postings, I just list
by general area). The specific address goes only to those I want to come
pickup something.

because there are too many free-nappers out there. I guess Baltimore
used to have just one group, but not it has three outlying groups
covering some parts of Baltimore, and you have to join the one you
live in.

Grin, I live in Norfolk area. I believe we have 5 of them here? 1 for each
of the 5 big cities that make up 'Hampton Roads' area. Newport News,
Norfolk, Suffolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"mm" wrote

Plus some of the floor boards of the deck aren't even warped. The
second floor overhangs the first by about 18 inches, and the 8 foot
boards close to the house are in good condition. I can build an
outdoor fire wood rack with them. I need one of those ever since part
of a tree fell on my yard, but I didn't want to spend money because
once I burn that wood, I'll never have that much wood again. .

Thats what I would do with them. At least, platform on legs to stack on.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 08:19:48 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"mm" wrote
"Ralph Mowery"

Thanks, Ralph and cshenk. I signed up, but they said it can be 7
days until I'm approved!

Standard disclaimer. Some local person, unpaid, maintains it if it's like
my area. I think I had to list my address too (but in postings, I just list
by general area). The specific address goes only to those I want to come
pickup something.

because there are too many free-nappers out there. I guess Baltimore
used to have just one group, but not it has three outlying groups
covering some parts of Baltimore, and you have to join the one you
live in.

Grin, I live in Norfolk area. I believe we have 5 of them here? 1 for each
of the 5 big cities that make up 'Hampton Roads' area. Newport News,
Norfolk, Suffolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach.

Well, here they don't provide a map and I don't live in any of the
n'hods they said were excluded, but last night they turned me down. I
feel like a 1st grader who is the only one not invited to his
classmate's birthday party.

They sent me to another group that has less than 1/4 the area,
members, and posts, plus is entirely suburban-like, more well-off than
the city as a whole, and probably wants my old lumber etc. less than
the rest of the city.

No one is going to come on foot to pick up this wood, and if they have
a truck and they want this stuff at all, it's surely worth going an
extra mile or two from wherever the boundrary is to my house. What
should I do? (If no one in the first area wants my wood, should I lie
about my address and join this group too. Will they catch me?)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm mm is offline

wrote:.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/?noautodetect=1

Go to the state you live in.

You also can try Craigslist in the forsale/free section, plus I prefer
the ReUseIt network over Freecycle: http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/ .

Thanks. I just looked and Reuseit's not doing too well in the
Baltimore area. They some how have two lists, Reuseit and Resuseit
Cafe. The first has 13 members and 14 posts in the last 4 months! The
second has 4 members and afaict no posts at all. Maybe the first
group is only 4 months old.

But I'll keep my eyes open for news about it here.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
KLS KLS is offline

wrote:.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/?noautodetect=1

Go to the state you live in.

You also can try Craigslist in the forsale/free section, plus I prefer
the ReUseIt network over Freecycle: http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/ .

Thanks. I just looked and Reuseit's not doing too well in the
Baltimore area. They some how have two lists, Reuseit and Resuseit
Cafe. The first has 13 members and 14 posts in the last 4 months! The
second has 4 members and afaict no posts at all. Maybe the first
group is only 4 months old.

The Cafe group has a different purpose: to exchange coupons,
contractor recommendation, yard sale notifications, etc. The original
group is strictly for giving away stuff and asking for stuff (no more
than 2 requests per week allowed, and there are restrictions as to
what can be requested). Ours is doing great, very active group with
more than 5,000 members.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"mm" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Thanks, Ralph and cshenk. I signed up, but they said it can be 7
days until I'm approved!

Grin, I live in Norfolk area. I believe we have 5 of them here? 1 for
each
of the 5 big cities that make up 'Hampton Roads' area. Newport News,
Norfolk, Suffolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach.

Well, here they don't provide a map and I don't live in any of the
n'hods they said were excluded, but last night they turned me down. I
feel like a 1st grader who is the only one not invited to his
classmate's birthday party.

Awww. Sorry (smile). I'm not allowed in the other groups but we see the
occasional crossover allowed by the moderators for the really strange items
or members of one area willing to pickup for a person in another area.

They sent me to another group that has less than 1/4 the area,
members, and posts, plus is entirely suburban-like, more well-off than
the city as a whole, and probably wants my old lumber etc. less than
the rest of the city.

Actually the suburban area is more apt to want it. Real city folks have no
yards to use it in.

No one is going to come on foot to pick up this wood, and if they have
a truck and they want this stuff at all, it's surely worth going an
extra mile or two from wherever the boundrary is to my house. What
should I do? (If no one in the first area wants my wood, should I lie
about my address and join this group too. Will they catch me?)

Hehe wouldnt try it. You have to find someone in the other group to post it
for you probably. We do that here and aso long as it's not a common thing,
allowed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm mm is offline

wrote:.

[...]

Maybe I can join yours. How much does it cost to mail an 8-foot 2x4?
Do you have to wrap it?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
KLS KLS is offline

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:43:43 -0500, mm
wrote:

The Cafe group has a different purpose: to exchange coupons,
contractor recommendation, yard sale notifications, etc. The original
group is strictly for giving away stuff and asking for stuff (no more
than 2 requests per week allowed, and there are restrictions as to
what can be requested). Ours is doing great, very active group with
more than 5,000 members.

Maybe I can join yours. How much does it cost to mail an 8-foot 2x4?
Do you have to wrap it?

If you're in western New York, people might actually be willing to
come get it: we have members living 45 mins away from our city who
participate. But if you're in a place like metro DC with the horrible
traffic, unlikely not. What about Habitat for Humanity: can they use
the materials?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 06:43:35 -0500, KLS wrote:

Maybe I can join yours. How much does it cost to mail an 8-foot 2x4?
Do you have to wrap it?

If you're in western New York, people might actually be willing to
come get it: we have members living 45 mins away from our city who
participate. But if you're in a place like metro DC with the horrible
traffic, unlikely not. What about Habitat for Humanity: can they use
the materials?

I doubt it.

I signed up for my crummy little freecycle n'hood 48 hours ago and
their email with my ad went out 36 hours ago. No replies yet.

So I put an ad on Craig's list. We'll see if I get any replies.

If not I may use a friend's address and another email address and sign
up for the other freecycle (although even if I change the ad some, if
someone reads both lists, they may figure it out. But why are they
reading both lists if I'm not allowed to belong to both. Are they
allowed? That's outrageous. Or are they just looking for cheaters?
That's petty.)

If no one replies, I'm just going to throw it all away. If I don't
get that done before the surgery in the second half of January, I may
have to go out of town and when I get back it will be spring, so maybe
I'll try again to get rid of some of it. My neighbor is impatient or
I wouldn't be rushing two ads in two days, and I'd just wait for
spring and do it all then, although people are right, The grass is
dormant in winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:20:53 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

I did say that about half is pressure treated and half is not. I'd be
glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

Freecycle may work and they will pickup. Thats a local list to hopefully
your area where folks give away stuff vice make more landfill. The person
who wants the stuff picks up. Be honest about the state of the wood and
offer to let them pick out just any pieces they find usable, and you'd
probably get 1/2 or more picked up.

Do mention most seems PT (not burnable, toxic fumes) and you are not sure on
the rest.

Wow, I did get one answer from Craig's list, and I asked him what he
planned to do with it, and he said, firewood, and I told him that
treated wood was poisonous, and he said, I'll have to look into that.

He spoke perfect English, no graammar errors, and that seemed to me
like the kind of person who would already know that it was poisonous,
but I guess there is too much to know, and plenty that each person
doesn't know.

If he never shows up, I'll be even more careful with any other caller.
If I ever advertise again, I'll say more in the ad itself. I thought
I was clear enogh when I said that the untreated wood was good for
mulch and firewood, and didn't list that for the treated wood.