Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Drywall"

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kps9ncpwdg98l@glass...
On Sat, 16 May 2020 07:17:40 +0100, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 16 May 2020 06:19:35 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

No crumbling, easier to remove,

Wrong, as always.

ever tried removing tiles from plasterboard....?

Easy - just remove and replace the plasterboard

Which makes a ****ing mess.

Not when its got tiles stuck to it.

Removing plasterboard (especially if the builder has never heard of screws
and still uses nails) causes huge amounts of powder everywhere.

Not when its got tiles stuck to it.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kps97nlwdg98l@glass...
On Sat, 16 May 2020 14:34:50 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 16/5/20 3:19 pm, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

No crumbling, easier to remove,

Wrong, as always.

ever tried removing tiles from plasterboard....?

Just replace the plasterboard sheet as part of the repair/rebuild. It
isn't hard.

Do you like replacing two things instead of one?

I couldn't care less when that's the easiest way and
the plasterboard is much cheaper than the tiles.

But then I'm not a desperate pov bludging on benefits.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sat, 16 May 2020 18:30:29 +0100, Andrew, the notorious, troll-feeding
senile moron, blathered again:

Absolutely no fire resistance

More to the point: absolutely NO resistance to the troll's absolutely
idiotic baits on your part, senile asshole!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:02 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 17 May 2020 04:02:54 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

04:02??? LOL Is it that time of the night again, senile asshole troll?

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 17 May 2020 04:05:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal idiots' endless blather

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kp0a1z7wdg98l@glass...
On Sat, 16 May 2020 18:06:57 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 16/05/2020 16:22, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:16:15 +0100, RH Draney wrote:

On 5/15/2020 3:59 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kojhuxowdg98l@glass...

You can even reuse the wood.

Not if the white ants have been eating it.

Or if the wasps have been chewing it to make paper for their nests....r

Anything can be chewed. That foam stuff for cavity walls is destroyed
by mice. Totally useless.

Termites love chewing timber in many parts of France and the USA

Like I said, nothing is infallible.

But they don't chew drywall and metal structural stuff the drywall is
attached to in spades.

Everything is fallible.

Drywall on metal framing isnt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kp0daz6wdg98l@glass...
On Sat, 16 May 2020 07:08:38 +0100, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:26:16 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 22:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 21:50:53 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 21:35, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 20:46:25 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 20:41, newshound wrote:
On 15/05/2020 17:12, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling! So not a wall!

I'm not astonished or amazed that you are astonished at that, you
have
always been that mindlessly obsessive about words.
Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Plastered walls are wet when you are doing the plastering, stupid.

Not usually in America, where they just tape and fill the joints.
Hence
"Drywall".
wonder what they call Ames tape ?

I assume that's a company name, like Duck Tape. There must be a
generic
name for it.

scrim tape ...

I saw a van once with "Ames taping" on it and thought, that's a very
narrow field of work!
I saw another van with "Time served" which I think means he's done an
apprenticeship. But I assumed it meant he's been in jail.
I saw another van with "A. Prentice" which I assume is his name, but
not
a very good advert.

Anyway, isn't that the cheating way of filling gaps? Kinda like
sellotaping things together instead of using screws! Isn't that tape
going to peel off at some later stage?

stops cracking at the joint.....you plaster flush over the tape and
fill
the joint...one side of plasterboard is bevelled to allow for the tape
and the filling of the joint....

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?
it just doesn't ....

Waste of good breath trying to explain anything to Kinsey

Says the man who think's he's a woman,

Corse you don't shave you legs, eh ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 07:21:33 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 16/05/2020 06:37, dpb wrote:
On 5/16/2020 12:22 AM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 23:54, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

--

in the UK anyway plasterboard sheets have to different sides used for
different applications.....

Well there are two sides here, too...the back side and the finish side.

There's no purpose for putting the wrong side out.

--

there is no wrong side just used a different way .....

If skim-coating or venetian plastering you install it outside in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 06:01:01 -0400, Paul
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You sound like a builder. They do things because they're told that's
the way it's done. Ask them why and they get confused.

yes why re-invent the wheel ? ....

I think the Commander assumes society has no good reasons
for anything it does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drywall

Drywall has reasonable properties, and there are enough variants,
you can get more armor-plated versions ("Type X") if you want.

Paul

And "paperless" with fiberglass skins
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 May 2020 04:21:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal idiots' endless blather

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between the two resident idiots:

Birdbrain: "But imagine how cool it was to own slaves."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, right. Feed them, clothe them, and fix them when
they're broken.
After all, you paid good money for them. Then you've got to keep an eye
on them all the time."

Birdbrain: "Better than having to give them wages on top of that."

Senile Rodent: "Specially when they make more slaves for you
and produce their own food and clothes."

MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 15/05/2020 20:41, newshound wrote:
On 15/05/2020 17:12, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

I'm not astonished or amazed that you are astonished at that, you have
always been that mindlessly obsessive about words.
Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Plastered walls are wet when you are doing the plastering, stupid.

Not usually in America, where they just tape and fill the joints. Hence
"Drywall".
wonder what they call Ames tape ?

I assume that's a company name, like Duck Tape.* There must be a generic
name for it.

Try *Duct Tape*. Named for its *function*, not a company name. It's used
primarily in ducted heating and cooling.

But what people refer to as "duct tape" - being the fabric
re-enforced tape is NOT the "duct tape" generally used for HVAC and is
truly "duck tape" -like "coton duck" - as in ther fabric - and also
brand name.
HVAC DUCT tape is generally an adhesive metal foil tape - generally
aluminum. (at least that's all I have ever used on HVAC and venting
(Drier vents etc) ducts. Duck tape didintegrates pretty quickly on
heating ducts. Back in my rally days we called it "60 MPH tape" and
used it to fasten loose parts and protect headlights from shattering
-- And sometimes to make the competition number on the door - - -

Anyway, isn't that the cheating way of filling gaps?* Kinda like
sellotaping things together instead of using screws!* Isn't that tape
going to peel off at some later stage?

Using plasterboard instead of doing lath plastering could be considered
cheating too but would *you* want to do it the old way?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Do the plaster sheeting properly in the first place and it should never
crack.

If the plaster board is properly attached to the framing nothing
moves and the compund (not plaster) that covers the tape also
permeates the tape and when it dries the joint is stronger than the
board if it's done right. For a strong joint you use setting compound
to seat the tape and the lightweight "putty" type (drying ) compound
for finishing because sanding setting compund (Durabond) is like
sanding cioncrete
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 May 2020 23:53:17 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kojetg0wdg98l@glass...

newsp.0kod5pt8wdg98l@glass...
wrote:

[...]

Nope, it's the only sensible way to do it.

Skimming?

Using the tape. Stops it cracking later.

Kinda like sellotaping things together instead of using screws!

Nothing like. The tape doesn't hold it to the wall, stupid.

I didn't say it did. But it can come off.

No it doesn't.

Isn't that tape going to peel off at some later stage?

Nope.

Why not?

The plaster keeps it on.

Is it magical?

Nope.

Every other tape comes off.

The other tape isnt plastered, stupid.

And the best duct tape doesn't come off.

How does the tape stop the plaster cracking?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 22:40:22 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 16/5/20 9:49 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 23:54:42 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kojfnqbwdg98l@glass...

newsp.0kofeeaiwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Because the tape is stronger in tension than plaster, stupid.

But the filler still has to stretch,

Nope, the tape stops any movement.

It ain't strong enough to stop something 50 billion times heavier than
itself from moving.

That's the job of the drywall screws and the studs
Now you're talking like a 5 year old!

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 18:36:15 +0100, dpb wrote:

On 5/16/2020 10:38 AM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/05/2020 16:19, dpb wrote:
On 5/16/2020 7:57 AM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/05/2020 13:54, Xeno wrote:
On 16/5/20 9:57 pm, dpb wrote:
On 5/16/2020 1:21 AM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/05/2020 06:37, dpb wrote:
On 5/16/2020 12:22 AM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It's only bevelled on one side so that informs which is the facing
side.

in some applications not all...

Again...what "applications" would those be???

Only a boneheaded mistake. What you gonna' do with the rough paper
backside with the seam around the edge where the paper covers the edge
of the finish paper wrapped around the edge?

Even if putting it up as base for paneling or the like fastening the
beveled edge against the wall will cause dimples...and the backside
paper tears comparatively badly when penetrated w/ the screw and
they're set...

--

where they scrim or ames tape the side by side sheets in the double
bevel and fil with plaster to give a joint free finish ....

Huh? I have no idea what that's intended to say, sorry.

It was written in plain English.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Xeno" wrote in message
On 16/5/20 2:12 am, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard "drywall"
even if it's on a ceiling! So not a wall!

I'm not astonished or amazed that you are astonished at that, you have
always been that mindlessly obsessive about words.
Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry, unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Plastered walls are wet when you are doing the plastering, stupid.

Not when you put it up in *sheets* Rod.

That's not PLASTERED, that's drywalled or in our case gyprocked.

Plastered means applying plaster to the wall using a trowel
and a pile of wet plaster. Similar to rendering a wall but using
plaster instead of render. The poms still do quite a bit of that
plastering with infernal walls, particularly in older houses.

Only the joints are wet - for a short time.

Not with traditional plastering. The whole wall is quite wet for quite a
while.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not at all. They do things because that's the *best way* to do the job.
It is quick, efficient and produces the outcome required. What more do
you need? BTW, I can tell you're not a builder - or any other type of
*tradesman*.

Indeed, I prefer a decent job rather than a quick and cheap one. Anyone doing a job for someone else is going to cut corners. Builders are like mechanics, cowboys the lot of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 22:51:43 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 16/5/20 11:01 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 00:54:20 +0100, dpb wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2020 23:54:36 +0100, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

But you have plaster over it!* So what if the tape gives, the plaster
over it will still crack.

Not unless the wall moves so much anything else would as well.

100 years applications prove the principle works pretty doggone well.

I don't see how the tape helps.* It's not going to reduce movement at
all.* Just put the plaster straight into the gap.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

Yes but we call is plasterboard in the UK.* Horrid stuff, try
removing it.

No problem at all--it's trivial to remove or cut into for access for
other work or repair such as electrical or plumbing and then repair
it--certainly far easier than lath and plaster.

Plasterboard is basically powder.* Cut it and you get a dusty mess.* Try
removing a whole sheet of it, especially when a moronic builder with no
long term planning has used nails which you can't remove without
crumbling the plasterboard to pieces.

Flathead galvanised Nails, the standard method of attaching plaster.
Nowadays they glue and nail. Some even use plasterboard screws.

Never used galvanized here - drywall nails were "blued" steel.
Virtually everything the last 20 or more years has been screwed -
black oxide coated drywall screws, generally
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 13:57:18 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 23:54, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

--

in the UK anyway plasterboard sheets have to different sides used
for different applications.....

Well there are two sides here, too...the back side and the finish side.

There's no purpose for putting the wrong side out.

--
there is no wrong side just used a different way .....

For what???

Never seen back side out installation for any purpose.

--

It's only bevelled on one side so that informs which is the facing side.

in some applications not all...

Gypsum lath is not bevelled. Wallboard is - but not on the "short" or
"open" or "cut" end.
The back side is often perforated - and is an "open" finish that
would be terrible to paint - but holds finishes like venetianplaster
better than the smooth side - also holds lime plaster "skim coat"
finish - where taping is generally not used - basically using it as
"gypsum lath" for a plaster wall look.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Xeno" wrote in message
On 16/5/20 8:26 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:20:07 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 15/05/2020 17:12, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall"
even if it's on a ceiling! So not a wall!

I'm not astonished or amazed that you are astonished at that, you have
always been that mindlessly obsessive about words.
Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Plastered walls are wet when you are doing the plastering, stupid.

Not usually in America, where they just tape and fill the joints. Hence
"Drywall".

I was talking about lath and plaster, not joins in whatever you call
sheets
of drywall.

Wet plastering is still done in the UK, most obviously with skimming.

Far too skillfull a task for an American.

Plasterboard sheeting is far too skilful a task for a Scotsman, if you're
an example.

He's actually a sassenach who has always infested scotland.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 13:59:08 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 16/05/2020 13:45, Xeno wrote:
On 16/5/20 9:54 am, dpb wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 23:54:36 +0100, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

But you have plaster over it!* So what if the tape gives, the plaster
over it will still crack.

Not unless the wall moves so much anything else would as well.

100 years applications prove the principle works pretty doggone well.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

Yes but we call is plasterboard in the UK.* Horrid stuff, try
removing it.

No problem at all--it's trivial to remove or cut into for access for
other work or repair such as electrical or plumbing and then repair
it--certainly far easier than lath and plaster.

--

Lath and plaster, seen entire houses done with that method. Admittedly,
the houses were ancient but it looked like a very time intensive job.

can't get good lathers these days.... used to be an education to see
them work ....never mind getting horse hair......

Getting good "mudslingers" and "tapers" is hard enough. All the old
guys from the old country (Generally old Germans - particularly
Schwaubs around here -) have retired or died and the young fellows are
not as picky. Most of the good ones around here now are Serbs or
Portugese and in their mid 40s or older.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Xeno" wrote in message
On 16/5/20 7:28 am, charles wrote:
In article op.0koff3e6wdg98l@glass, Commander Kinsey
wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 21:52:05 +0100, Scott Lurndal
wrote:

Andrew writes:
On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling! So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

SheetRock is a brand name.

It's known regionally by different names, gypboard, drywall, sheetrock,
blueboard/greenboard (mold resistant), etc.

Whatever it's called, it's ****. It's powder held together with paper.
Use wood for crying out loud. No crumbling, easier to remove, easier to
screw things into like a picture frame etc.

and a lot more expensive.

You omitted *totally unsuited to task*.

Not with the best of it, the timber panelling seen
in very high value propertys. Very expensive tho.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Skimming is to make a flat surface from a rough one. Plasterboard is
already flat. You only need to skim the joints once you have applied the
tape.

Kinda like sellotaping things together instead of using screws!

Nothing like. The tape doesn't hold it to the wall, stupid.

I didn't say it did.* But it can come off.

Not once the joint has been skimmed. BTW, have you ever seen the
jointing tape? Hint, run along to the local hardware and take a look at
some. That will inform you so preventing some of these ridiculous
comments coming from your direction.

Isn't that tape going to peel off at some later stage?

Nope.

Why not?* Is it magical?* Every other tape comes off.

Another ridiculous comment. See my hint above. After skimming, the tape
becomes an integral part of the wall.

"Drywall tape" is only tape in that it is a narrow strip. The real
stuff has NO adhesive. There is fiberglass tape that has a bit of
sticky to it to hold it to the wall untill you get the mud on - for
DIYers. The real stuff gets trowelled into a thin coat of "mud" and
then gets "bedded" in with a covering coat. A real good job gets
bedded in "setting compound" which is trowelled slighly shy of the
surface - almost filling the recess of the edge and is "sponged" so
there is no compound on the surface - it is then "skimmed" with the
lightweight filler. Setting compound is hard in 30, 45, or 90 minutes
depending on the variety (durabond 30, 40, 45, 90 etc) and can be skim
coated quickly. Using lightweight compound for everything requires
anywhere from 8 to 36 hours to harfen depending on thickness,
temperature, and humidity so the job is a 2 day job, minimum. With
setting compound a good jointer can have a wall paint ready in about
10 hours. I've seen boarders install the drywall in the afternoon,
tapers and mudders work the night shift, and the painters come in at
noon and do the finish painting before supper time. A really GOOD
mudder barely has to sand the joints - he just gives the joint a light
rub with a damp sponge after trowelling and it's good to go if the
wall is being sprayed - the spray texture blends everything in. A
brush and roller job requires a bit more work but commercial and
institutional, as well as a LOT of residential is all done with
airless sprayers that leave a consistent fine texture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 23:03:48 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 16/5/20 8:26 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:20:07 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Not a heck of a lot that isn't -- -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 23:16:13 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 16/5/20 11:03 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 01:02:34 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kom2ffmwdg98l@glass...

newsp.0kojaeyzwdg98l@glass...
On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:20:07 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Wrong, they used to do it that way until they invented drywall.

You lot are too stupid to do it the better way.

I'd never use the Neanderthal stuff.

It is in fact much more recent than timber walls

Doesn't mean it's better, just cheap ****.* Dyson bagless hoovers are
more recent, doesn't mean it's a good idea to have your dust float all
over the room when you try to empty it.

And if you want cheap, just buy chipboard.* Easier and cleaner to cut,
put up, remove, and screw things into.

What do you do with the joints? BTW, you do realise that chipboard
sheets will have joints, don't you? Do you realise that the coefficient
of expansion of chipboard is much greater than plasterboard so cracked
joints *will* be an issue.

Just out of interest, I grew up in a house where the walls were sheeted
with *hardboard* sheets. These had nowhere near the expansion
coefficient of chipboard but, even so, the gaps couldn't be plastered.
Instead the flat gaps were covered with rounded edge wood strips and the
angled corners with quad strips. It was cheap but effective. That house
was extended and completely made over after we sold it so it probably
has plaster sheet wall coverings now.

The strips were called "burlap" - not the fabric bags are made of -
Generally 1 1/2 by 3/8" with rounded or "broken" corners - basically a
finer version of "battens".
Back in the 70s plywood and hardboard "panelling" was popular - it was
scored to look like board or toung and groove - wall panelling and
hiding the joints was a real skill - the plywood was so thin it
buckled between the colour-matched nails, and the finishon the
hardboard was so hard you couldn't sink the heads - and half of IT was
so floppy it buckled too. The finish on the cheaper "plywood" was a
resin impregnated photographic reproduction of woodgrain. - while the
better stuff was a tissue-paper thin veneer. LOTS of that got covered
with 1/4 or 3/8" drywall glued on with PL - and some just got skimmed
with wallboard compound and painted or papered over. In a humid
basement the walls looked something like lake superior on a calm
moonlit night - - - - - -
you pathetic excuse for a troll.

Pot kettle black.* Everybody on here refers to you as that.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 May 2020 05:01:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 May 2020 04:53:40 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 23:21:31 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 16/5/20 8:27 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:27:13 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 22:04, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 21:52:10 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 21:39, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 19:28:00 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

I still buy 2 by 1, but the blasted stuff sold
as PAR (planed all round) is nowhere near 2 x 1.

Local builder's merchant here sells what I ask for.* They have several
sizes.
oooh lucky you .... four by two is the rough sawn size....when
planed it
is smaller....

Mine sells by the mm.* They quote on the website the precise size it is
when you buy it.* Why would I want to buy a rough size which may not
match what I already have?* Your houses must end up really wonky.
It's just just they way things are.....

Don't accept inferior products.* If you buy something that's supposed to
16 of something, and it's 15, that's not fit for purpose.

Since when has the building industry worked to the nearest millimetre?
To the nearest 100 millimetres more likely.

They've started selling metric plywood up here - and it's pretty
accurate in measurement - but inch plywood always was too. Now the
problem is 15mm isn't exactly 5/8 and 17 mm isn't 3/4 - and sometimes
they are substituted -- - - Some of it is also metric length and
wirth instead of 48X96 inch (4x8)

Dimensional lumber is still sold as 1X and 2X 3, 4, or 6 etc
"nominal" even in "metric" Canada - and you still buy 6 foot or 8 foot
or whatever lengths. They also sell "stud length" that are precut to
the right length to fit between upper and lower plates to make an 8
foot wall (92 5/8 inch long)
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 05:08 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER ONE HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 17 May 2020 05:08:02 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

05:08!!! Your first hour is over already, senile troll! Still some 17 hours
of trolling ahead of you! LMAO

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shipped the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 23:34:50 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 16/5/20 3:19 pm, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

No crumbling, easier to remove,

Wrong, as always.

ever tried removing tiles from plasterboard....?

Just replace the plasterboard sheet as part of the repair/rebuild. It
isn't hard.

Or expensive. ANd it's pretty easy to patch - unlike "chipboard"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 10:05:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/16/2020 7:51 AM, Xeno wrote:

Flathead galvanised Nails, the standard method of attaching plaster.
Nowadays they glue and nail. Some even use plasterboard screws.

You'd be hard pressed to find anybody nailing in the US these days...and
I suspect that's true virtually everywhere. W/ metal studs, there's no
choice.

Very little on a percentage basis is glued...I don't recall that I've
ever seen it on walls; a rare few ceilings.

Generally gluing is for accoustics. Sometimes 2 layer drywall walls
have the first layer screwed and the second layer glued. Same with
ceilings. Means fewer scewholes to fill / pop. Often 12 or 16 foot 3/8
inch too so there are fewer or no "cut ends" to need jointing. 16
footers are FUN!!! (not) particularly on ceilings!!! On walls they run
horrizontally so only one seam the length of the room in an 8 foot
high room - 2 in taller rooms. You can tell a diy job when you find
the corners all lined up - every corner is a perfect "X" that is
virtually impossible to hide - - - -
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

newsp.0kp31jzdwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

By providing the tensile strength that plaster doesn't have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 13:06:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My neighbour's roof caught fire because the incoming electricity feed
(going into the attic!) came loose from it's mounting and shorted.* 6
months after I had warned him it was loose and he said "not my
problem, it's up to the electricity board".* He lost his whole roof,
including many family photos stored up there, and had builders
repairing it on the insurance for a couple of months, while he rented
another place, also at their expense.* I was astonished that the fire
service had no ability to turn off the power, and also wouldn't use
their hoses without turning it off (they could have just earthed
them).* 30 minutes was wasted waiting in the middle of the night for
the electricity board to come out and turn it off.* Not sure who ended
up paying.* He claimed everything from the insurance, but if I was the
insurance company, the electric board and the fire service would have
been in big trouble.

To use water would have been stupid. Easy to say at your keyboard "all
they had to do was" but it is not always that easy. Firemen could have
lost their lives.

As for the electric board, why them? Were they notified of the
potential problem? The homeowner was a jackass either way not caring
about his own safety.

Around here they would just clip the wires at the pole (or pop a pole
fuse in a rural area) with a "hot stick"
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

newsp.0kp35mdtwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Says the cowboy that has killed every car he has ever owned,
including two that he killed forever by ignoring the over temp
light until the engine seized.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 18:11:47 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 16/05/2020 16:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

plopping noises

ROTFPMSL!

hope nobody hears you ....

I can hear my neighbour on her mobile phone, if she is at the
top of the stairs on her side of the party wall, which is
a cavity wall, with two 4inch block leafs and a one inch air gap.

I think the (1976) builders used the wrong sort of blocks. Either
that or the whole batch was defective and very porous.

Or they left a few out or didn't seal penetrations

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 May 2020 05:58:15 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal idiots' endless blather

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rodent:

Senile Rodent: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 May 2020 05:54:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal idiots' endless blather

--
Typical retarded "conversation" between the Scottish ****** and the senile
Ozzietard:

Birdbrain: "Horse **** doesn't stink."

Senile Rodent: "It does if you roll in it."

Birdbrain: "I've never worked out why, I assumed it was maybe meateaters
that made stinky ****, but then why does vegetarian human **** stink? Is it
just the fact that we're capable of digesting meat?"

Senile Rodent: "Nope, some cow **** stinks too."

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In which case what's the point in the tape?
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nope, just pointing out that tape cannot stop those big heavy sheets moving. So there's no point in having the tape.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 13:42:29 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 16/5/20 8:54 am, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

It is. Did my kitchen out with it 20 years ago. That house was built in
53 and it had gypsum sheeting so it isn't new by any stretch of the
imagination.

Wait till you want to remove it. Get a dust mask ready.