Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default "Drywall"

On Sat, 16 May 2020 15:09:43 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 16/05/2020 14:34, Xeno wrote:
On 16/5/20 3:19 pm, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

No crumbling, easier to remove,

Wrong, as always.

ever tried removing tiles from plasterboard....?

Just replace the plasterboard sheet as part of the repair/rebuild. It
isn't hard.

makes a right mess luckily some times there is a double plasterboard
thickness between th toilet and a bedroom so people can't hear

plopping noises

ROTFPMSL!

and you can just fill the one missing sheet in....

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2020 7:51 AM, Xeno wrote:

Flathead galvanised Nails, the standard method of attaching plaster.
Nowadays they glue and nail. Some even use plasterboard screws.

You'd be hard pressed to find anybody nailing in the US these days...and
I suspect that's true virtually everywhere. W/ metal studs, there's no
choice.

Very little on a percentage basis is glued...I don't recall that I've
ever seen it on walls; a rare few ceilings.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2020 8:37 AM, Xeno wrote:
On 16/5/20 10:59 pm, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Lath and plaster, seen entire houses done with that method.
Admittedly, the houses were ancient but it looked like a very time
intensive job. Just think how hard it was to get surfaces flat. Would
have taken real skill.

can't get good lathers these days.... used to be an education to see
them work ....never mind getting horse hair......

I know a couple who do building restoration work back in my home state.

"Ancient" in what sort of time frame? 100 years? Still the routine way
then; gypsum board was in its infancy...the house here was all lath &
plaster until redid to add insulation to exterior walls in late '70s;
put drywall up instead of going back. Virtually all ceilings/interior
walls are still original plaster.

I can call a half-dozen here in a town of under 30K population that are
quite good...they keep busy with remodels and repair work and the
occasional new construction that wants the original.

Comparatively, it is time-consuming which large part of why it has been
replaced -- labor costs are the easiest thing to trim to bring building
costs down. A more time-efficient adequate solution will get the bid in
the majority of cases.

But, it's surprising to the non-experienced just how fast they can
go...but not as fast as the sheetrock crew can get from bare studs to
finished surface.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2020 7:57 AM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/05/2020 13:54, Xeno wrote:
On 16/5/20 9:57 pm, dpb wrote:
On 5/16/2020 1:21 AM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/05/2020 06:37, dpb wrote:
On 5/16/2020 12:22 AM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It's only bevelled on one side so that informs which is the facing side.

in some applications not all...

Again...what "applications" would those be???

Only a boneheaded mistake. What you gonna' do with the rough paper
backside with the seam around the edge where the paper covers the edge
of the finish paper wrapped around the edge?

Even if putting it up as base for paneling or the like fastening the
beveled edge against the wall will cause dimples...and the backside
paper tears comparatively badly when penetrated w/ the screw and they're
set...

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:16:15 +0100, RH Draney wrote:

On 5/15/2020 3:59 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kojhuxowdg98l@glass...

You can even reuse the wood.

Not if the white ants have been eating it.

Or if the wasps have been chewing it to make paper for their nests....r

Anything can be chewed. That foam stuff for cavity walls is destroyed by mice. Totally useless.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 11:01:01 +0100, Paul wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 23:27, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:26:16 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 22:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 21:50:53 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 21:35, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 20:46:25 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 20:41, newshound wrote:
On 15/05/2020 17:12, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling! So not a wall!

I'm not astonished or amazed that you are astonished at that, you
have
always been that mindlessly obsessive about words.
Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Plastered walls are wet when you are doing the plastering, stupid.

Not usually in America, where they just tape and fill the joints.
Hence
"Drywall".
wonder what they call Ames tape ?

I assume that's a company name, like Duck Tape. There must be a
generic
name for it.

scrim tape ...

I saw a van once with "Ames taping" on it and thought, that's a very
narrow field of work!
I saw another van with "Time served" which I think means he's done an
apprenticeship. But I assumed it meant he's been in jail.
I saw another van with "A. Prentice" which I assume is his name, but
not
a very good advert.

Anyway, isn't that the cheating way of filling gaps? Kinda like
sellotaping things together instead of using screws! Isn't that tape
going to peel off at some later stage?

stops cracking at the joint.....you plaster flush over the tape and
fill
the joint...one side of plasterboard is bevelled to allow for the tape
and the filling of the joint....

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?
it just doesn't ....

You sound like a builder. They do things because they're told that's
the way it's done. Ask them why and they get confused.

yes why re-invent the wheel ? ....

I think the Commander assumes society has no good reasons
for anything it does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drywall

Drywall has reasonable properties, and there are enough variants,
you can get more armor-plated versions ("Type X") if you want.

It's **** compared to wood.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 14:01:09 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Indeed. LOL

totly..there are many skills and methods in good old fashioned building
practice that the modern slap it together I can do anything modern scum
can't master....

Builders don't have skills, they're robots following what they were taught in their apprenticeships. They don't actually understand what they're doing.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

and because it works and has been since it was invented

So does a Lada Riva. Do you drive one?
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

plopping noises

ROTFPMSL!

hope nobody hears you ....
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/05/2020 15:53, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 15:18:20 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

Drywall is a panel made of gypsum plaster pressed between two thick
sheets of paper. It is used to make interior walls and ceilings.

There's a the problem, it's not dryWALL if it's on the ceiling!

Drywall construction became prevalent as a speedier alternative to
traditional
lath and plaster.

But nothing like as good as wood.

prone to mariliis lacramen though ....

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/05/2020 15:58, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 06:17:48 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 23:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:28:17 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 22:03, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 21:52:05 +0100, Scott Lurndal

wrote:

Andrew writes:
On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

SheetRock is a brand name.

It's known regionally by different names, gypboard, drywall,
sheetrock,
blueboard/greenboard (mold resistant), etc.

Whatever it's called, it's ****.* It's powder held together with
paper.
Use wood for crying out loud.* No crumbling, easier to remove,
easier to
screw things into like a picture frame etc.
easier to go up in flames....needs a spread of flame rating ...

Top tip - don't light fires inside your house.

Lets all do that and we can save a fortune on the fire service ....

I've managed to never do so, maybe you should be more careful?

Only house fires I know of a

My friend when I was at school set fire to a chip pan by forgetting it
as on, and simply carried it outside.

My neighbour's roof caught fire because the incoming electricity feed
(going into the attic!) came loose from it's mounting and shorted.* 6
months after I had warned him it was loose and he said "not my problem,
it's up to the electricity board".* He lost his whole roof, including
many family photos stored up there, and had builders repairing it on the
insurance for a couple of months, while he rented another place, also at
their expense.* I was astonished that the fire service had no ability to
turn off the power, and also wouldn't use their hoses without turning it
off (they could have just earthed them).* 30 minutes was wasted waiting
in the middle of the night for the electricity board to come out and
turn it off.* Not sure who ended up paying.* He claimed everything from
the insurance, but if I was the insurance company, the electric board
and the fire service would have been in big trouble.

I was called to a take-a-way fire in a dodgy part of town and the fire
brigade smashed their way in and turned off the main switch and
everything stayed on......they had jumped the meter and main switch .....
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

--

where they scrim or ames tape the side by side sheets in the double
bevel and fil with plaster to give a joint free finish ....

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/05/2020 15:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 06:17:05 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 23:27, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:27:13 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 22:04, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 21:52:10 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 21:39, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 19:28:00 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

I still buy 2 by 1, but the blasted stuff sold
as PAR (planed all round) is nowhere near 2 x 1.

Local builder's merchant here sells what I ask for.* They have
several
sizes.
oooh lucky you .... four by two is the rough sawn size....when
planed it
is smaller....

Mine sells by the mm.* They quote on the website the precise size
it is
when you buy it.* Why would I want to buy a rough size which may not
match what I already have?* Your houses must end up really wonky.
It's just just they way things are.....

Don't accept inferior products.* If you buy something that's supposed to
16 of something, and it's 15, that's not fit for purpose.

so you just throw away the traditions of the building industry ? ...

I prefer to get what I ask for, not something that's traditional.* Would
you buy a traditional cuckoo clock that couldn't keep the correct time?

you would argue black it white and get run over on the next zebra
crossing .....
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sat, 16 May 2020 16:33:47 +0100, Dim GM4DHJ ... the brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

But nothing like as good as wood.

prone to mariliis lacramen though ....

Yeah, a blockhead like you should know!

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 16:42:01 +0100, Dim GM4DHJ ... the brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

you would argue black it white and get run over on the next zebra
crossing .....

He will argue until he brings out your congenital idiocy ...and he was quite
successful, yet again! BG
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 16:36:46 +0100, Dim GM4DHJ ... the brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

I was called

I call you a sick troll-feeding senile ASSHOLE!
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 16:29:53 +0100, Dim GM4DHJ ... the brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

hope nobody hears you ....

The troll certainly hopes that YOU troll-feeding senile asshole will always
hear him! BG

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 15/05/2020 21:52, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Andrew writes:
On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!Â* So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry, unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

SheetRock is a brand name.

It's known regionally by different names, gypboard, drywall, sheetrock,
blueboard/greenboard (mold resistant), etc.

We have Pink stuff in the UK. Reinforced with glassfibre and
15mm thick to give 1 hour fire resistance (until sometime later
a thicko tradesman or his apprentice makes holes in it to run
in some new water pipes or cables and doesn't reseal the holes).

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Andrew writes:
[...]

Hmm. Definately ban all those tea-tree lights, and all those dodgy
fake apple phone chargers. Not foregtting all the illegal east
european fags without safety guard rings that are being imported
and sold under the counter.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

[...]

To use water would have been stupid. Easy to say at your keyboard "all
they had to do was" but it is not always that easy. Firemen could have
lost their lives.

As for the electric board, why them? Were they notified of the
potential problem? The homeowner was a jackass either way not caring
about his own safety.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 15/05/2020 23:30, Commander Kinsey wrote:

newsp.0koff3e6wdg98l@glass...
wrote:

Andrew writes:
On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

SheetRock is a brand name.

It's known regionally by different names, gypboard, drywall, sheetrock,
blueboard/greenboard (mold resistant), etc.

Whatever it's called, it's ****.* It's powder held together with paper.

Nope, the paper is just the surface.

Under the paper is just powder.* Ever tried removing some?

Use wood for crying out loud.

No thanks, much more expensive for a wall or ceiling

But a better finished product.

Use Fermacell then. Strong as timber and Class O fire
resistance.

No crumbling, easier to remove,

Wrong, as always.

Wood does not crumble.* Wood panels attached with screws come off by
simply undoing some screws.* You can even reuse the wood.* But
plasterboard ends up in a cloud of dust and mess.

easier to screw things into like a picture frame etc.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/05/2020 16:22, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:16:15 +0100, RH Draney wrote:

On 5/15/2020 3:59 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kojhuxowdg98l@glass...

You can even reuse the wood.

Not if the white ants have been eating it.

Or if the wasps have been chewing it to make paper for their nests....r

Anything can be chewed.* That foam stuff for cavity walls is destroyed
by mice.* Totally useless.

Termites love chewing timber in many parts of France and the USA
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/05/2020 15:09, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/05/2020 14:34, Xeno wrote:
On 16/5/20 3:19 pm, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

No crumbling, easier to remove,

Wrong, as always.

ever tried removing tiles from plasterboard....?

Just replace the plasterboard sheet as part of the repair/rebuild. It
isn't hard.

makes a right mess luckily some times there is a double plasterboard
thickness between th toilet and a bedroom so people can't hear plopping
noises and you can just fill the one missing sheet in....

Only if a BCO was involved. If not then single layer and a bit of
fibreglass wadding if you're lucky.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/05/2020 16:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

plopping noises

ROTFPMSL!

hope nobody hears you ....

I can hear my neighbour on her mobile phone, if she is at the
top of the stairs on her side of the party wall, which is
a cavity wall, with two 4inch block leafs and a one inch air gap.

I think the (1976) builders used the wrong sort of blocks. Either
that or the whole batch was defective and very porous.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/05/2020 15:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 14:34:50 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 16/5/20 3:19 pm, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

No crumbling, easier to remove,

Wrong, as always.

ever tried removing tiles from plasterboard....?

Just replace the plasterboard sheet as part of the repair/rebuild. It
isn't hard.

Do you like replacing two things instead of one?

It's only £6 a sheet though.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 15/05/2020 23:54, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

--

in the UK anyway plasterboard sheets have to different sides used
for different applications.....

Well there are two sides here, too...the back side and the finish side.

There's no purpose for putting the wrong side out.

--

there is no wrong side just used a different way .....

For what???

Never seen back side out installation for any purpose.

--

If you are going to give the whole wall a 3mm skim of gypsum
multi-finish plaster, then you normally use square edge boards

Few big builders bother with a skim, they just tape and seal the
tapered-edge and use a special filler on the joint then just
decorate.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/05/2020 14:01, Xeno wrote:
On 16/5/20 8:29 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:

newsp.0kod5pt8wdg98l@glass...
wrote:

[...]

Nope, it's the only sensible way to do it.

Skimming?

Skimming is to make a flat surface from a rough one. Plasterboard is
already flat. You only need to skim the joints once you have applied the
tape.

Giving a 3mm skim of gysum plaster gives more knock-resistant
surface. Useful for some applications.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 15/05/2020 20:41, newshound wrote:
On 15/05/2020 17:12, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

I'm not astonished or amazed that you are astonished at that, you have
always been that mindlessly obsessive about words.
Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Plastered walls are wet when you are doing the plastering, stupid.

Not usually in America, where they just tape and fill the joints. Hence
"Drywall".
wonder what they call Ames tape ?

I assume that's a company name, like Duck Tape.* There must be a
generic name for it.

Try *Duct Tape*. Named for its *function*, not a company name. It's used
primarily in ducted heating and cooling.

Anyway, isn't that the cheating way of filling gaps?* Kinda like
sellotaping things together instead of using screws!* Isn't that tape
going to peel off at some later stage?

Using plasterboard instead of doing lath plastering could be considered
cheating too but would *you* want to do it the old way?

British Gypsum have a big catalogue of products and lath boards are
(or were) one of the product lines.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/05/2020 02:03, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 01:02:34 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kom2ffmwdg98l@glass...
On Fri, 15 May 2020 23:48:01 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kojaeyzwdg98l@glass...
On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:20:07 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 15/05/2020 17:12, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall"
even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

I'm not astonished or amazed that you are astonished at that, you
have
always been that mindlessly obsessive about words.
Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Plastered walls are wet when you are doing the plastering, stupid.

Not usually in America, where they just tape and fill the joints.
Hence
"Drywall".

I was talking about lath and plaster, not joins in whatever you call
sheets
of drywall.

Wet plastering is still done in the UK, most obviously with skimming.

Far too skillfull a task for an American.

Wrong, they used to do it that way until they invented drywall.

You lot are too stupid to do it the better way.

I'd never use the Neanderthal stuff.

It is in fact much more recent than timber walls

Doesn't mean it's better, just cheap ****.* Dyson bagless hoovers are
more recent, doesn't mean it's a good idea to have your dust float all
over the room when you try to empty it.

And if you want cheap, just buy chipboard.* Easier and cleaner to cut,
put up, remove, and screw things into.

Absolutely no fire resistance, and is even worse than 'wood' in a fire
because the glue gives off seriously nasty toxic smoke.

Also expands and contracts as the weather goes from cold/wet to
cold/dry and hot/humid. Even more cracking and movement.

you pathetic excuse for a troll.

Pot kettle black.* Everybody on here refers to you as that.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 18:06:57 +0100, Andrew wrote:

On 16/05/2020 16:22, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:16:15 +0100, RH Draney wrote:

On 5/15/2020 3:59 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kojhuxowdg98l@glass...

You can even reuse the wood.

Not if the white ants have been eating it.

Or if the wasps have been chewing it to make paper for their nests....r

Anything can be chewed. That foam stuff for cavity walls is destroyed
by mice. Totally useless.

Termites love chewing timber in many parts of France and the USA

Like I said, nothing is infallible.
Correction as I hate double negatives. Everything is fallible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling! So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry, unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

I still buy 2 by 1, but the blasted stuff sold
as PAR (planed all round) is nowhere near 2 x 1.

Local builder's merchant here sells what I ask for. They have several
sizes.

oooh lucky you .... four by two is the rough sawn size....when planed it
is smaller....

If you want 1 inch you buy 5/4 lumber. 1 1/4 inch rough cut planes to
1 inch finished.

So you're having to take account of the scammers, wonderful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Waste of good breath trying to explain anything to Kinsey

Says the man who think's he's a woman, and hasn't learned how to killfile me yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 07:11:33 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2020 17:54:36 -0500, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

It was invented by the Brits - Sackett Board was invented in 1894 by
Augustine Sackett and Fred Kane, graduates of Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute. It was made by layering plaster within four plies of wool
felt paper. Sheets were 36 by 36 by 1/4 inch (91.44 cm × 91.44 cm ×
0.64 cm) thick with open (untaped) edges.[3]
Gypsum board evolved between 1910 and 1930 beginning with wrapped
board edges and elimination of the two inner layers of felt paper in
favor of paper-based facings. In 1910 United States Gypsum Corporation
bought Sackett Plaster Board Company and by 1917 introduced Sheetrock.

New ways to make cheap **** when we already had a perfectly good renewable resource - wood.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Trouble is nobody pronounces the two neighbouring Ts, so it always sounds like the company name. They did well there.

Anyway, isn't that the cheating way of filling gaps? Kinda like
sellotaping things together instead of using screws! Isn't that tape
going to peel off at some later stage?

Using plasterboard instead of doing lath plastering could be considered
cheating too but would *you* want to do it the old way?

No, I'd use wood.
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/05/2020 06:37, dpb wrote:
On 5/16/2020 12:22 AM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It's only bevelled on one side so that informs which is the facing
side.

in some applications not all...

Again...what "applications" would those be???

Only a boneheaded mistake.* What you gonna' do with the rough paper
backside with the seam around the edge where the paper covers the edge
of the finish paper wrapped around the edge?

Even if putting it up as base for paneling or the like fastening the
beveled edge against the wall will cause dimples...and the backside
paper tears comparatively badly when penetrated w/ the screw and
they're set...

--

where they scrim or ames tape the side by side sheets in the double
bevel and fil with plaster to give a joint free finish ....

Huh? I have no idea what that's intended to say, sorry.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 18:06:57 +0100, Andrew, the notorious, troll-feeding
senile moron, blathered again:

Termites love chewing timber in many parts of France and the USA

Trolls love baiting senile assholes like you all around the world! LOL
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 18:06:01 +0100, Andrew, the notorious, troll-feeding
senile moron, blathered again:

Use Fermacell then. Strong as timber and Class O fire
resistance.

YOU use it! Maybe it can help you resist that idiotic troll's dumbest baits!
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 18:12:28 +0100, Andrew, the notorious, troll-feeding
senile moron, blathered again:

It's only £6 a sheet though.

That's a LOT if compared to your sucking him off for FREE, troll-feeding
senile asshole!