Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default "Drywall"

On 15/05/2020 23:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:28:17 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 22:03, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 21:52:05 +0100, Scott Lurndal
wrote:

Andrew writes:
On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

SheetRock is a brand name.

It's known regionally by different names, gypboard, drywall, sheetrock,
blueboard/greenboard (mold resistant), etc.

Whatever it's called, it's ****.* It's powder held together with paper.
Use wood for crying out loud.* No crumbling, easier to remove, easier to
screw things into like a picture frame etc.

easier to go up in flames....needs a spread of flame rating ...

Top tip - don't light fires inside your house.

Lets all do that and we can save a fortune on the fire service ....
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

No crumbling, easier to remove,

Wrong, as always.

ever tried removing tiles from plasterboard....?
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 15/05/2020 23:27, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 22:26:16 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 22:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 21:50:53 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 21:35, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 20:46:25 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 20:41, newshound wrote:
On 15/05/2020 17:12, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

I'm not astonished or amazed that you are astonished at that, you
have
always been that mindlessly obsessive about words.
Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Plastered walls are wet when you are doing the plastering, stupid.

Not usually in America, where they just tape and fill the joints.
Hence
"Drywall".
wonder what they call Ames tape ?

I assume that's a company name, like Duck Tape.* There must be a
generic
name for it.

scrim tape ...

I saw a van once with "Ames taping" on it and thought, that's a very
narrow field of work!
I saw another van with "Time served" which I think means he's done an
apprenticeship.* But I assumed it meant he's been in jail.
I saw another van with "A. Prentice" which I assume is his name, but not
a very good advert.

Anyway, isn't that the cheating way of filling gaps?* Kinda like
sellotaping things together instead of using screws!* Isn't that tape
going to peel off at some later stage?

stops cracking at the joint.....you plaster flush over the tape and
fill
the joint...one side of plasterboard is bevelled to allow for the tape
and the filling of the joint....

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

it just doesn't ....

You sound like a builder.* They do things because they're told that's
the way it's done.* Ask them why and they get confused.

yes why re-invent the wheel ? ....
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 15/05/2020 23:54, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

--

in the UK anyway plasterboard sheets have to different sides used for
different applications.....
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2020 12:22 AM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 23:54, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

--

in the UK anyway plasterboard sheets have to different sides used for
different applications.....

Well there are two sides here, too...the back side and the finish side.

There's no purpose for putting the wrong side out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 May 2020 21:52:10 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 21:39, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 19:28:00 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 15/05/2020 18:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/05/2020 16:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry, unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Lath and plaster with horse hair is a wet wall....

They say two by four as well ....

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

I still buy 2 by 1, but the blasted stuff sold
as PAR (planed all round) is nowhere near 2 x 1.

Local builder's merchant here sells what I ask for.* They have several
sizes.

oooh lucky you .... four by two is the rough sawn size....when planed it
is smaller....

If you want 1 inch you buy 5/4 lumber. 1 1/4 inch rough cut planes to
1 inch finished.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Waste of good breath trying to explain anything to Kinsey
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 May 2020 17:54:36 -0500, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

It was invented by the Brits - Sackett Board was invented in 1894 by
Augustine Sackett and Fred Kane, graduates of Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute. It was made by layering plaster within four plies of wool
felt paper. Sheets were 36 by 36 by 1/4 inch (91.44 cm × 91.44 cm ×
0.64 cm) thick with open (untaped) edges.[3]
Gypsum board evolved between 1910 and 1930 beginning with wrapped
board edges and elimination of the two inner layers of felt paper in
favor of paper-based facings. In 1910 United States Gypsum Corporation
bought Sackett Plaster Board Company and by 1917 introduced Sheetrock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 May 2020 18:54:20 -0500, dpb wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2020 23:54:36 +0100, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

But you have plaster over it!* So what if the tape gives, the plaster
over it will still crack.

Not unless the wall moves so much anything else would as well.

100 years applications prove the principle works pretty doggone well.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

Yes but we call is plasterboard in the UK.* Horrid stuff, try removing it.

No problem at all--it's trivial to remove or cut into for access for
other work or repair such as electrical or plumbing and then repair
it--certainly far easier than lath and plaster.

Particularly when it's expanded metal lath -- that stuff is NASTY to
remove and work around!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 06:19:35 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

No crumbling, easier to remove,

Wrong, as always.

ever tried removing tiles from plasterboard....?

Easy - just remove and replace the plasterboard
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 15/05/2020 23:54, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

--

in the UK anyway plasterboard sheets have to different sides used for
different applications.....

Well there are two sides here, too...the back side and the finish side.

There's no purpose for putting the wrong side out.

--

there is no wrong side just used a different way .....
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 5/15/2020 3:59 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kojhuxowdg98l@glass...

You can even reuse the wood.

Not if the white ants have been eating it.

Or if the wasps have been chewing it to make paper for their nests....r
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sat, 16 May 2020 06:20:23 +0100, Dim GM4DHJ ... the brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

yes why re-invent the wheel ? ....

Why not, when he gets you to suck him off every time that way, senile
asshole! BG
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:54:42 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopaths' endless sick troll**** unread

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 May 2020 17:54:36 -0500, dpb, another absolutely brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered:

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

Just interesting to see how long it will take YOU to find out who you are
dealing with, senile twit! LOL
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 May 2020 18:54:20 -0500, dpb, another absolutely brain dead,
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered:

No problem at all--it's trivial

What could be more trivial than your idiotic "discussion" with a PROVEN
clinically insane sociopathic troll, senile asshole?
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 13:03:39 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopaths' endless sick troll**** unread

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between the two resident idiots:

Birdbrain: "But imagine how cool it was to own slaves."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, right. Feed them, clothe them, and fix them when
they're broken.
After all, you paid good money for them. Then you've got to keep an eye
on them all the time."

Birdbrain: "Better than having to give them wages on top of that."

Senile Rodent: "Specially when they make more slaves for you
and produce their own food and clothes."

MID:
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 12:52:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopaths' endless sick troll**** unread

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:53:17 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopaths' endless sick troll**** unread

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:48:01 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopaths' endless sick troll**** unread
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

FLUSH troll****

....nothing's left!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

FLUSH more troll****

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 06:17:05 +0100, Dim GM4DHJ ... the brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

so you just throw away the traditions of the building industry ? ...

It's a five-finger exercise for a sociopathic troll, you troll-feeding
senile asshole! tsk
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 06:17:48 +0100, Dim GM4DHJ ... the brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

FLUSH the two cretins' usual absolutely idiotic bull****

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:59:41 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH all the sick troll**** unread

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think the Commander assumes society has no good reasons
for anything it does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drywall

Drywall has reasonable properties, and there are enough variants,
you can get more armor-plated versions ("Type X") if you want.

Paul
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 15/05/2020 23:54, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

--

in the UK anyway plasterboard sheets have to different sides used for
different applications.....

Well there are two sides here, too...the back side and the finish side.

There's no purpose for putting the wrong side out.

--

there is no wrong side just used a different way .....

For what???

Never seen back side out installation for any purpose.

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/5/20 2:12 am, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

I'm not astonished or amazed that you are astonished at that, you have
always been that mindlessly obsessive about words.
Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry, unless
made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Plastered walls are wet when you are doing the plastering, stupid.

Not when you put it up in *sheets* Rod. Only the joints are wet - for a
short time.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 15/05/2020 20:41, newshound wrote:
On 15/05/2020 17:12, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard
"drywall" even if it's on a ceiling!* So not a wall!

I'm not astonished or amazed that you are astonished at that, you have
always been that mindlessly obsessive about words.
Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry,
unless made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Plastered walls are wet when you are doing the plastering, stupid.

Not usually in America, where they just tape and fill the joints. Hence
"Drywall".

wonder what they call Ames tape ?

I assume that's a company name, like Duck Tape.* There must be a generic
name for it.

Try *Duct Tape*. Named for its *function*, not a company name. It's used
primarily in ducted heating and cooling.

Anyway, isn't that the cheating way of filling gaps?* Kinda like
sellotaping things together instead of using screws!* Isn't that tape
going to peel off at some later stage?

Using plasterboard instead of doing lath plastering could be considered
cheating too but would *you* want to do it the old way?

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Do the plaster sheeting properly in the first place and it should never
crack.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not at all. They do things because that's the *best way* to do the job.
It is quick, efficient and produces the outcome required. What more do
you need? BTW, I can tell you're not a builder - or any other type of
*tradesman*.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/5/20 9:49 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 23:54:42 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kojfnqbwdg98l@glass...

newsp.0kofeeaiwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Because the tape is stronger in tension than plaster, stupid.

But the filler still has to stretch,

Nope, the tape stops any movement.

It ain't strong enough to stop something 50 billion times heavier than
itself from moving.

Now you're talking like a 5 year old!

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/5/20 8:54 am, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

--

It is. Did my kitchen out with it 20 years ago. That house was built in
53 and it had gypsum sheeting so it isn't new by any stretch of the

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/5/20 9:48 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 23:54:36 +0100, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

But you have plaster over it!* So what if the tape gives, the plaster
over it will still crack.

If you have done the sheeting properly, the tape won't give and the
plaster won't crack.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

Yes but we call is plasterboard in the UK.* Horrid stuff, try removing it.

Easy to remove. Did it in my kitchen 20 years ago.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/5/20 9:54 am, dpb wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2020 23:54:36 +0100, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

But you have plaster over it!* So what if the tape gives, the plaster
over it will still crack.

Not unless the wall moves so much anything else would as well.

100 years applications prove the principle works pretty doggone well.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

Yes but we call is plasterboard in the UK.* Horrid stuff, try removing
it.

No problem at all--it's trivial to remove or cut into for access for
other work or repair such as electrical or plumbing and then repair
it--certainly far easier than lath and plaster.

--

Lath and plaster, seen entire houses done with that method. Admittedly,
the houses were ancient but it looked like a very time intensive job.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 16/5/20 11:01 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2020 00:54:20 +0100, dpb wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2020 23:54:36 +0100, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

But you have plaster over it!* So what if the tape gives, the plaster
over it will still crack.

Not unless the wall moves so much anything else would as well.

100 years applications prove the principle works pretty doggone well.

I don't see how the tape helps.* It's not going to reduce movement at
all.* Just put the plaster straight into the gap.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

Yes but we call is plasterboard in the UK.* Horrid stuff, try
removing it.

No problem at all--it's trivial to remove or cut into for access for
other work or repair such as electrical or plumbing and then repair
it--certainly far easier than lath and plaster.

Plasterboard is basically powder.* Cut it and you get a dusty mess.* Try
removing a whole sheet of it, especially when a moronic builder with no
long term planning has used nails which you can't remove without
crumbling the plasterboard to pieces.

Flathead galvanised Nails, the standard method of attaching plaster.
Nowadays they glue and nail. Some even use plasterboard screws.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 15/05/2020 23:54, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

--

in the UK anyway plasterboard sheets have to different sides used
for different applications.....

Well there are two sides here, too...the back side and the finish side.

There's no purpose for putting the wrong side out.

--

there is no wrong side just used a different way .....

For what???

Never seen back side out installation for any purpose.

--

It's only bevelled on one side so that informs which is the facing side.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.usage.english,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 15/05/2020 23:54, dpb wrote:

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

The paper if flexible enough to give.

Surely gypsum board is in use throughout the world; can't be only US.

--

in the UK anyway plasterboard sheets have to different sides used
for different applications.....

Well there are two sides here, too...the back side and the finish side.

There's no purpose for putting the wrong side out.

--
there is no wrong side just used a different way .....

For what???

Never seen back side out installation for any purpose.

--

It's only bevelled on one side so that informs which is the facing side.

in some applications not all...