Old February 15th 20, 07:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone service

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 01:34:12 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Feb 2020 22:55:14 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 17:30:09 -0800 (PST), A K
wrote:

My landline is copper wires.

I like having a landline because it still works when a hurricane hits which can knock out cell towers.

Don't be too sanguine about that. I found out after Irma that my
"central office" a mile from the house, that allows me to have DSL is
a little battery operated box on the side of the road and you get
about 30 hours out of that battery. Then your phone and DSL is dead.
If they are kind enough to drop a generator there you are back ion
business but that took them almost a week. Some folks who knew the
score around here dragged a cord from their generator out to their box
and recharged the battery every day. (It is just a regular NEMA 5-15)
If it happens again, I am going to go up there and ask around.
Unfortunately, the places around that box are usually abandoned all
summer.

So the box has a jack on the outside, or it's not even locked?

It opens with a 5/16 socket.
Old February 15th 20, 11:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I wish I could remember numbers.

BTW, we don't have batteries here, outside of the local exchange, which
is a building with a lock on the door.

Once in Chicago I watched while the guy punched in the code to open the
door, and I wanted to go in and wander around, and maybe connect another
line to where I lived, but I figured they would really dislike my coming
in. That's when I was 20. Now I'm too old to get away with anything,
until I learn how to pretend that I'm senile.
Old February 15th 20, 01:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2020 8:30 PM, A K wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:00:55 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:58:48 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I have a landline and internet from Frontier.

My bill is $70 plus $18 more of taxes.

That's around a 25 % tax rate !!!!

I am also not happy that Frontier has a monopoly on land line service.

I could live without the landline, but I have to have it because I have
DSL.

Are there any cheaper options?

Thanks,
Andy

I assume by landline, you mean VOIP over the internet, not copper wires?
But it doesn't matter. You can likely drop the phone part of Frontier,
just use them for internet and use any of the VOIP companies. I've used
Ooma, for example. You buy the VOIP box, about $50, then the service
is just about $5 a month, which is to cover the taxes and fees. It's
worked great for me. The only thing stopping you would be if Frontier
won't unbundle the phone and internet or charge you just as much without
phone, but they probably can't do that.

My landline is copper wires.

I like having a landline because it still works when a hurricane hits which can knock out cell towers.

I found out that Frontier charges $6 each month for when they have to repair a phone line that someone digging cuts.

I told the lady, "You mean customers have to pay when someone damages the phone line ?"

I am praying for peace. :-)

Andy

Ditto here in western NC. No cable, although it is at the base of the
mountain where I live. So, the only thing is slow DSL from Frontier.
I'm beyond the 14000 foot limit, so they only allow 3meg, however,
because I'm just outside and my line it clean, they allow it to .....
wait for it ..... 6meg. Woopie! The town has gotten some federal
money to give high speed all over. I'm hoping it will come this way.
Old February 15th 20, 01:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2020 8:46 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
On 2/14/2020 8:30 PM, A K wrote:
[...]

We are lucky and I have choice of Comcast or Verizon FIOS. My Comcast
triple play give me up to a gig. Wife complains about cost but will not
do what neighbor across the street does and switch back and forth when
initial offer expires and price goes up.

I have both services to my house but gave up the FIOS telephone lines.
Since I only had one business phone on it the charged me land line
prices which did not include long distance, caller id, etc.

Old February 15th 20, 04:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

My landline is copper wires.

I like having a landline because it still works when a hurricane hits which can knock out cell towers.

Don't be too sanguine about that. I found out after Irma that my
"central office" a mile from the house, that allows me to have DSL is
a little battery operated box on the side of the road and you get
about 30 hours out of that battery. Then your phone and DSL is dead.
If they are kind enough to drop a generator there you are back ion
business but that took them almost a week. Some folks who knew the
score around here dragged a cord from their generator out to their box
and recharged the battery every day. (It is just a regular NEMA 5-15)
If it happens again, I am going to go up there and ask around.
Unfortunately, the places around that box are usually abandoned all
summer.

I live 200 feet from a Verizon brick and mortar "main office."

Andy
Old February 15th 20, 05:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Then aren't they an alternative for DSL/phone or just DSL and use OOma
or similar for phone?
Old February 15th 20, 06:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The days of the big 48v battery bank in the basement of a phone
exchange with 3 floors of clicking relays and originating registers
and your own dedicated pair going all the way there are long gone. The
local phone company here was United Telephone with a #5 system in Ft
Myers and an old "stepper" in Naples. They were my customer. When
Sprint bought them the whole thing disappeared and they just had a
computer console, a couple racks and the wire bays where the wires
come in. Most of the wires coming in gave way to fiber. A lot of that
switching was redistributed out to those little boxes I was talking
about in neighborhoods, connected to the fiber. That was what allowed
people to get DSL. You can only run DSL on copper for about a half
mile or so. Then it has to get up on the fiber via a DSLAM. They call
that "the central office" when they talk about DSL although it is
really just the link to fiber. Those little boxes have their own 48v
power supply and a battery. Next time I see the guys working on it I
will try to get a picture of the insides.
Old February 15th 20, 06:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 08:50:47 -0800 (PST), A K

wrote:

[...]

You should be able to get 100mb DSL then. We are still served by
Century link/Sprint and there is only one office per county. Both are
about 15 miles from me.
Old February 15th 20, 06:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Once 5G rolls out I expect big mobile players to try to get everyone
on it and abandon any copper that is still left out there.