Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone service

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 11:28:45 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 13:42:50 -0500, wrote:

The county owned right of way is 66 feet wide in front of my house,
typical for a Florida residential street. 24 feet on each side of the
18' road is grass and that is where the utilities go. A lot of people
are shocked to find out they don't own the first 24 feet of their
yard. This is not an easement, the county just owns it. They can cut

"Not an easement, the county just owns it"...is that a Florida thing? I ask
because I'll be moving there eventually. Everyone does.

I've owned homes in Mississippi, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, and Montana, not
all at the same time, and my property line has always been the curb. The
sidewalks cross my property but are owned and maintained by the city,
except for snow removal which was my responsibility, and there is always a
utility easement of about 15 feet, but it's just an easement.

I can't speak for every county and city but that is certainly the way
it works in Lee County. You can go to LEEPA.ORG, punch in the address
and see the property lines.
This is a shot of my house with the property lines in yellow.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/leepa2018.jpg

down "your" trees, dig up "your" grass and generally tell you what you
are allowed to do there. Lawn sprinklers are always an issue. If they
dig them up, tough ****. Legally all you can have is a mailbox and
with a permit, a driveway across it.

OTOH, you can make them mow it if you want. Just don't expect it to
happen often or get a very good job.

One of the utility companies here has a high voltage line running along the
back of my property with a 100-foot easement, 50 feet of which is on my
side and 50 feet on the next guy's property. In the fine print, though, it
says that they've agreed to repair any fences that have to come down in
case they need access to their lines. They don't have to replace trees,
shrubs, or outbuildings of any kind. It really shouldn't be an issue,
though. They have at least 3 ways to get back there without crossing any
private property.

They just own the 100' wide right of way behind me. It used to be a
railroad track before WWII.