Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Phone service

On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 2:25:34 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 23:06:25 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 22:36:55 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 22:14:38 -0500, Grumpy Old White Guy
wrote:

On 2/16/2020 2:47 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 2/15/20 3:42 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

Â* Most have "effectivel abandoned" all the copper already. The "main
trunk" runs along the back of my property and to replace it would
require tunnelling through a LOT of tree roots (almost a mile, end to
end across numeous properties) All the "spare pairs" have been used
and they cannot provide me (along with numerous others) a "clean
line".

A noisy phone line was why I switched to phone service from the cable company.

It was a fantastic day when I kicked the AT$T noisy phone line to the curb.

These clowns are still trying to sell 6 Mb pewverse service that was barely adequate 20 years ago.
Up here Bell is "selling" high speed internet, TV and home phone -
not saying what they are "delivering"

The Telco does OK here if you are on fiber but copper is pretty much
stuck with 10-25mb internet only plus a POTS line that is virtually
free ($15) and has all of the calling services. (free LD, call
waiting, conferencing, caller ID, voice mail and a bunch of other
stuff I never use) If you like to talk long distance a lot I suppose
it is a great deal.

Here "fibre" isn't necessarily (or even generally) fibre to the
door. The main trunk is fibre here - but the last half mile is 50 year
old buried copper.

But aren't they delivering cable TV services too using that fiber?
If so, how do they do that over the old copper? Not sure what the point
is to getting fiber to within 1/2 mile and then stopping.