Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default fiber-to-copper, was: Phone service

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 18:13:26 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 14:14:18 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 4:58:57 PM UTC-5, danny burstein wrote:
In trader_4 writes:

So "fiber to the block" is pretty common, and copper the
last 1,000 feet can easily handle all the standard amounts
of required bandwidth

I guess that depends on what the standard amounts of required bandwidth are.
You sure aren't going to get 100+ mbit/sec over 1000 ft of 50 year
old copper telephone wire. Here in NJ Verizon Fios is fiber up
to the house. Which is what you would need to equal what I and
many others have through cable/internet. People that have copper for
the last 1000 ft, are they getting cable TV and internet through
that pipe?

Oh, sure. To get decent throughput (by modern standards) that
last 1,000 feet has to be coax, not twisted pair...

Then we are pretty much in agreement. I was responding in this context:

"Here "fibre" isn't necessarily (or even generally) fibre to the
door. The main trunk is fibre here - but the last half mile is 50 year
old buried copper. "

I took that to mean 50 year old telephone wire, which is usually what
people mean by "copper". If it's coax, eg cable TV, then it can
support higher rates.

I have been hearing about the death of copper for 40 years and what
has been happening is they keep getting more speed out of it. We have
1gb Ethernet running on 2 twisted pairs right now and I remember when
they were saying 16 mb might be the limit. I agree 50-60 year old
copper sucked but if it was replaced in the last 30 years I bet they
can get over 100mb out of it, particularly if they used all 3 pairs in
the typical flooded drop cable of the late 80s.

We are in 'seventies copper