Posted to alt.home.repair
danny burstein danny burstein is offline

Default fiber-to-copper, was: Phone service

In trader_4 writes:

So "fiber to the block" is pretty common, and copper the
last 1,000 feet can easily handle all the standard amounts
of required bandwidth

I guess that depends on what the standard amounts of required bandwidth are.
You sure aren't going to get 100+ mbit/sec over 1000 ft of 50 year
old copper telephone wire. Here in NJ Verizon Fios is fiber up
to the house. Which is what you would need to equal what I and
many others have through cable/internet. People that have copper for
the last 1000 ft, are they getting cable TV and internet through
that pipe?

Oh, sure. To get decent throughput (by modern standards) that
last 1,000 feet has to be coax, not twisted pair...

I'm not quite sure where the neighbohood fiber - coax box is
here (and yes, I've searched..) but I can tell you our coax
gets us 100 meg plus numerous HD tv channels