Old February 14th 20, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Phone service

I have a landline and internet from Frontier.

My bill is $70 plus $18 more of taxes.

That's around a 25 % tax rate !!!!

I am also not happy that Frontier has a monopoly on land line service.

I could live without the landline, but I have to have it because I have
DSL.

Are there any cheaper options?

Thanks,
Andy

Old February 14th 20, 11:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/20 4:58 PM, A K wrote:
I have a landline and internet from Frontier.

My bill is $70 plus $18 more of taxes.

That's around a 25 % tax rate !!!!

I am also not happy that Frontier has a monopoly on land line service.

I could live without the landline, but I have to have it because I have
DSL.

Are there any cheaper options?

Thanks,
Andy

1. Can't you "unbundle"/cancel the landline from the DSL ? DSL only
needs the wires, not the dialtone, etc to work.

2. Are there no other Internet providers in your area ?
Search here based on Zip Code: https://broadbandnow.com/
Old February 14th 20, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2020 4:58 PM, A K wrote:
I have a landline and internet from Frontier.

My bill is $70 plus $18 more of taxes.

That's around a 25 % tax rate !!!!

I am also not happy that Frontier has a monopoly on land line service.

I could live without the landline, but I have to have it because I have
DSL.

Are there any cheaper options?

Thanks,
Andy

Depends on where you live. Chances are the cable company will give you
a much faster internet for that or less, especially the first year.

Fastest I ever got was 18 Mbs from DSL but Spectrum gives me 200 Mbs and
the first year it was $44. Land line is another $10 or so with free
NoMoRobo.
Old February 15th 20, 12:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:58:48 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I have a landline and internet from Frontier.

My bill is $70 plus $18 more of taxes.

That's around a 25 % tax rate !!!!

I am also not happy that Frontier has a monopoly on land line service.

I could live without the landline, but I have to have it because I have
DSL.

Are there any cheaper options?

Thanks,
Andy

I assume by landline, you mean VOIP over the internet, not copper wires?
But it doesn't matter. You can likely drop the phone part of Frontier,
just use them for internet and use any of the VOIP companies. I've used
Ooma, for example. You buy the VOIP box, about $50, then the service
is just about $5 a month, which is to cover the taxes and fees. It's
worked great for me. The only thing stopping you would be if Frontier
won't unbundle the phone and internet or charge you just as much without
phone, but they probably can't do that.
Old February 15th 20, 12:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 17:27:04 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/14/2020 4:58 PM, A K wrote:
I have a landline and internet from Frontier.
My bill is $70 plus $18 more of taxes.
That's around a 25 % tax rate !!!!
I am also not happy that Frontier has a monopoly on land line service.
I could live without the landline, but I have to have it because I have
DSL.
Are there any cheaper options?
Thanks,
Andy

Depends on where you live. Chances are the cable company will give you
a much faster internet for that or less, especially the first year.
Fastest I ever got was 18 Mbs from DSL but Spectrum gives me 200 Mbs and
the first year it was $44. Land line is another $10 or so with free
NoMoRobo.

Wow - you live well !
I thought I'd died-and-gone-to-heaven when they ran
fiber to our tiny rural hamlet - no complaints at all about the
service, speed, or reliability but it's ~ $ 150. per month
for phone, TV, internet. Plus it's a small local company
to deal with - rather than a faceless mega-company.
We have very poor rural cellular - hence the fiber phone service.
... and it's part of a " bundle " package.
Prior to fiber, we had various separate sevices -
- cellular internet being the most expensive -
- forced into it when dial-up became totally useless.
.. but I still use that free ~ 12 year old router !
John T.

Old February 15th 20, 02:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On 2/14/20 4:58 PM, A K wrote:
I have a landline and internet from Frontier.

My bill is $70 plus $18 more of taxes.

That's around a 25 % tax rate !!!!

I am also not happy that Frontier has a monopoly on land line service.

I could live without the landline, but I have to have it because I have
DSL.

Are there any cheaper options?

Thanks,
Andy

1. Can't you "unbundle"/cancel the landline from the DSL ? DSL only
needs the wires, not the dialtone, etc to work.

2. Are there no other Internet providers in your area ?
Search here based on Zip Code: https://broadbandnow.com/

Thanks for the idea.

I talked with Frontier.

I can not cancel my land line because the DSL requires it.
At least that is what they said.

I had call waiting which I did not know I had.
Frontier does not break down a bill like they should.

I cancelled call waiting and reduced my bill from $90 - $77.

I am happy with that.

They told me I am on a "promotion" for 12 months.

So in a year, I get the fun of going thru this again. :-)

Andy
Old February 15th 20, 02:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:00:55 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

My landline is copper wires.

I like having a landline because it still works when a hurricane hits which can knock out cell towers.

I found out that Frontier charges $6 each month for when they have to repair a phone line that someone digging cuts.

I told the lady, "You mean customers have to pay when someone damages the phone line ?"

I am praying for peace. :-)

Andy

Old February 15th 20, 04:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 17:30:09 -0800 (PST), A K
wrote:

My landline is copper wires.

I like having a landline because it still works when a hurricane hits which can knock out cell towers.

Don't be too sanguine about that. I found out after Irma that my
"central office" a mile from the house, that allows me to have DSL is
a little battery operated box on the side of the road and you get
about 30 hours out of that battery. Then your phone and DSL is dead.
If they are kind enough to drop a generator there you are back ion
business but that took them almost a week. Some folks who knew the
score around here dragged a cord from their generator out to their box
and recharged the battery every day. (It is just a regular NEMA 5-15)
If it happens again, I am going to go up there and ask around.
Unfortunately, the places around that box are usually abandoned all
summer.
Old February 15th 20, 06:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 8:30:16 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I screwed that up. I missed the dsl part. So, I assume no other internet service, eg cable is available? If not, then I guess you're stuck. Kind of surprised that you can't get just dsl internet without voice phone service. I would think regulators would require them to unbundled. You might want to check about that.

Most people would have voice over copper, with dsl added, but no technical reason you can't have dsl without phone service.