Old February 10th 19, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tree removal

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 04:31:21 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:49:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery

says...

Most of those just involve taking too big a bite. When the guys took
out a tree for me they cut it up in pieces right up there in the tree.
The guy said he had to cut it up anyway so why take a chance with a
piece too big to handle. Pretty much every piece was cut off and
lowered on a rope. It still went fast and by the time he was working
on the trunk, the rest of it was packed up in his truck and trailer by
the helper.

I had a Bradford pear tree that was about 50 feet tall next to the
house cut down this summer. Three men came out in a bucket truck and
the man in the bucket went up and cut down most of the tree. The 2 men
on the ground put the limbs in a chipper and blew it into a compartment
on the bucket truck. The larger limbs were laid on the ground and
something like one of the small bulldozers or bobcats loaded the larger
ones on another truck. No damage to the house and not too much to the
ground. In about 2 hours they were finished.

I don't know how they will burn, but I did have them save a few limbs
that were about 3 to 5 inches in diameter and cut to about 2 feet long
to save for fire wood. I would have saved more of it,but did not have a
good place to put more out of the weather and off the ground.

I rented an articulated lift and took down half of a big a big fucus
tree behind the house. It was fairly tight to the shed so I took it
down in small chunks for the most part. I had to stop because I had
filled a 30 yard dumpster. After Irma took about half the rest I knew
FEMA was coming so I took down all of it. This time it was all leaning
away from anything I cared about so I just dropped the whole thing,
cut it up and dragged the logs around behind my truck.
.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20down.jpg
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20killer.jpg

Jeeze, that really is a ficus. They're house plants up here. The
only thing I really recall about them is they're touchy about being
repotted.

Cindy Hamilton

They are weeds down here you can hardly kill. It is illegal to even
plant one in a lot of places. That one was 60-70 feet high before the
hurricanes knocked the top out (twice).
It sprayed tree limbs like this all over the yard
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Irma/Trees%20down.jpg

I was happy to see it gone. Once I had the thing cut down I had to
pour Garlon on the trunk to finally kill it.

Old February 10th 19, 02:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 08:40:04 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 2/10/2019 7:31 AM, wrote:
[...]

That is interesting. I've got one as a house plant and they are easy to
propagate and take care of. I knew they could grow big in warm climates
and now see from Wiki they can nearly get to 100 ft. tall. Also says
they are unsuitable for residential lots because of size and root
system. I've learned that sort of thing over the years. That little
stick put in over 20 years ago can grow huge and threaten the house.
I've had many of those once little sticks removed, requiring a tree cutter.

There are lots of little "dish garden" plants you see up north that
are noxious weeds in the sub tropics.
Old February 10th 19, 04:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod F" [email protected]*.* wrote in message ...
On 2/9/19 11:05 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

**** you're ugly.

That's something you can never unsee. ;-)

True. I tried eyewash but it didn’t help any.

Old February 10th 19, 05:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 11:48:21 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is
expensive. I can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in
the second one.

Youtube has a whole variety of tree disasters. Usually you can
immediately see that the fool is doing something stupid that
violates obvious tree-cutting safety rules.
Old February 10th 19, 08:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/10/2019 05:31 AM, wrote:
Jeeze, that really is a ficus. They're house plants up here. The
only thing I really recall about them is they're touchy about being
repotted.

Yeah, but you don't live in a tropical paradise. I wouldn't mind a fig
tree in the yard but it's not happening here in winter wonderland. Fresh
figs are something else.

Old February 10th 19, 08:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/10/2019 06:40 AM, Frank wrote:
I've learned that sort of thing over the years. That little stick put
in over 20 years ago can grow huge and threaten the house. I've had many
of those once little sticks removed, requiring a tree cutter.

It's not only the little trees... My mother thought Japanese knotweed
would make a nice screening hedge. It did do that but then it tried to
take over the world. I don't know if it looked like home but it was also
a magnet for Japanese beetles. They might have balanced each other out
but the beetles like roses for desert.

Old February 11th 19, 07:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:48:47 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/10/2019 07:27 AM, wrote:
They are weeds down here you can hardly kill. It is illegal to even
plant one in a lot of places. That one was 60-70 feet high before the
hurricanes knocked the top out (twice).
It sprayed tree limbs like this all over the yard

Did it bear figs?

There were some kind of nasty purple things coming off of it all the
time but I never ate one.