Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

Default Plan to teach all children first aid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44883708

Finally... Next, money management, health and safety.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
the SCOURGE, l33t p00h d3 tr0ll, p00h == lam3r, p00h == tr0ll, troll infme,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

LATEST! entry 'religious maniac'

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 19/07/2018 23:46, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44883708

Finally... Next, money management, health and safety.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Who did you have in mind to 'teach' money management, surely not
teachers and if parents weren't so ****ing feckless themselves, then the
kids wouldn't need the tuition.

If anyone can make a youngster believe, 'if you haven't got it [money],
then you can't have it', they will get my admiration!

omega

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 08:22:53 +0100, Omega wrote:

On 19/07/2018 23:46, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44883708

Finally... Next, money management, health and safety.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Who did you have in mind to 'teach' money management, surely not
teachers and if parents weren't so ****ing feckless themselves, then the
kids wouldn't need the tuition.

I was trying to remember quite how much 'tuition' I had from my parents.
It wasn't much. My dad opened a bank account for me and it was instilled
in me that people who bought things on credit were idiots. Save and buy
things only when you can afford them just seemed a logical argument from
recollection. TBH I was a bit of a rebel and doing what my parents told
me to do was not a major motivation of mine. Are the maths that
difficult to understand. My misses is the same and her maths are
shocking. Using credit for frivillous stuff is just truly moronic. How
did people get to act this dumb.

If anyone can make a youngster believe, 'if you haven't got it [money],
then you can't have it', they will get my admiration!

omega

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
the SCOURGE, l33t p00h d3 tr0ll, p00h == lam3r, p00h == tr0ll, troll infme,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

LATEST! entry 'religious maniac'

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:
[...]

I think they get addicted to whichever hormone is produced when you buy
stuff. I never bought things I couldn't pay for with cash, but even
then I noticed that everything I bought ended up in the bin eventually,
so now I hardly buy anything. I intend to keep my little car (an '03
Fiesta) going for as long as possible; and if my clothes don't last for
at least ten years, I feel like I've been robbed. :-)

If anyone can make a youngster believe, 'if you haven't got it [money],
then you can't have it', they will get my admiration!

omega

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 10:30:01 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre" wrote:

p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:
[...]

I find the thought of owing someone oppressive. It far outweighs my need
for the 'hormone'. Not that there's much I couldn't buy now but I still
shop hard and think before I buy. I hate not getting something out of a
transaction. Who wants to buy stuff that goes straight in the bin. In
fact I want to squeeze as much value as I can out of it. I guess I don't
know how to do otherwise and I need to spend money on counseling.
considering pause for introspection but immediately distracted by
leaves and feathery things moving in my peripheral vision

If anyone can make a youngster believe, 'if you haven't got it [money],
then you can't have it', they will get my admiration!

omega

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
the SCOURGE, l33t p00h d3 tr0ll, p00h == lam3r, p00h == tr0ll, troll infme,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

LATEST! entry 'religious maniac'

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message news
p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:
[...]

==

Huh Your wee car ain't old! Mine is 1995 and husband's is 1994. ;p

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

That's good going! I know it's wrong, but I've sort of become attached
to mine. As long as I look after it, and replace the bits that wear
out, it keeps going.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Our are Jap imports and in fairly good nick. We do keep them well serviced
though

Err why is it wrong???

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:
[...]

We don't feel oppressed but we don't owe anything either

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

I think it's going to make me keep it long after it has become
uneconomic to keep fixing it :-) It's a long way off that, though. I
hardly ever have to do anything to it. I'll need to replace the front
(i.e. timing side) crankshaft oil seal soon, but I don't want to do it
in hot weather.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
NY NY is offline

"Ophelia" wrote in message
I think they get addicted to whichever hormone is produced when you buy
stuff. I never bought things I couldn't pay for with cash, but even
then I noticed that everything I bought ended up in the bin eventually,
so now I hardly buy anything. I intend to keep my little car (an '03
Fiesta) going for as long as possible; and if my clothes don't last for
at least ten years, I feel like I've been robbed. :-)

I find the thought of owing someone oppressive. It far outweighs my need
for the 'hormone'.

Dopamine, I think.

For me, it's a matter of does the hassle of changing to something new, which
may be worse than what it is replacing in *some* respects, outweigh the
benefit of the new thing? For me, one thing that is worse with a replacement
tends to mentally outweigh all the things that are better with it. And it
will almost certainly be different, needing time to get used to the
differences.

My great-grandma once told me about *her* grandfather who "didn't hold with
buying on credit". When his wife disobeyed him and bought a new dress "on
the never-never" he said fine, she could do that. But she mustn't actually
*wear* it until it was fully paid for. It was as if he didn't so much resent
the cost, more the fact of being *seen* to be deriving any usage/pleasure
from it. The old "what will the neighbours think?" issue. Stingy bugger :-)

I like my 08 Peugeot. It still goes well, and hopefully having had its
mid-life crisis (big bills for cambelt and diesel particulate filter/cat)
will continue to run for a long time yet. In fact it may only be replaced
if/when its emissions become too great for some cities' anti-pollution rules
that they may introduce. Certainly I have absolutely *no* incentive to
replace it with petrol (puny low-end engine torque) or electric (tiny range
before a lengthy recharge). (*)

I've never been the sort of person that *has* to have the latest mobile
phone or clothes etc, just because they *are* the latest and are in fashion.
I can't get my brain around that mentality at all. Maybe in relation to
clothes, lack of interest in fashion is a male thing, though I'd have
thought that being addicted to the latest gadgets may be both male and
female - maybe even more of a male than female thing.

(*) Although I now use my car mainly for short journeys, between which an
electric car could be charged at home, it still needs to be capable of
travelling a long way in case my wife needs it to drive to/from work or we
need to use it for a long journey (visiting relatives, holiday) if my wife's
normal car is out of action, needs servicing/MOT/new tyres etc, or needs to
carry "dirty" cargo (garden waste, furniture when moving house or when
buying from Ikea etc) that we try to keep out of her much newer car.
Electric is fine as long as you also have access to a car that can do
several hundred miles on a tank and only takes a few minutes (rather than
many hours) to add another few hundred miles range. 700 miles on a tank,
with 5 mins max to restore that, takes a lot of beating. "Never
underestimate the energy transfer rate of a petrol pump" my old electrical
engineering professor used to say, as he was describing why electric cars
were not going to be the universal replacement for fossil fuel ones for a
*long* time yet. The calculations are daunting: 60 litres of diesel in 5
mins (being pessimistic about refuelling time) is:

(60 x 40 [energy density of fuel, megajoules/litre]) / 300 [5 mins] = 8 MW.
That's like nearly 3000 electric fires on full blast. Gulp.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 07/20/2018 02:55 AM, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 09:08:35 +0100, Norman Wells
wrote:

On 19/07/2018 23:46, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44883708

Finally... Next, money management, health and safety.

What? How on earth do you think they can be taught in addition to the
current core curriculum

Thumbscrews concentrate the mind. Taking away the mobile phones of those
who get low scores would be even more effective.

What is it with you guys. How can this be a bad thing.

Let me see... A 16 year old trying to administer first aid with all the
competence that they bring to other areas of their studies? That's why
Americans favor handguns; it's easier to just shoot yourself.

The problem certainly isn't limited to school children but I can recall
learning techniques over the decades that were later determined to be
the worst thing to do in the circumstances.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 07/20/2018 03:08 AM, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:
Are the maths that
difficult to understand. My misses is the same and her maths are
shocking.

My wife held advanced degrees and was quite competent in her field. She
volunteered to prepare our tax return one year. Fortunately I checked
her work before it was submitted.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Ours are not bad for that. We have Pajeros, his long wheel base, mine short
wheel base. Still the same engines though, 2.8 turbo diesel.

Dunno how long we will be allowed to keep them though. They are trying to
ban diesel cars I think. Hopefully, not for while yet. I love mine

It's not too long that they were advising us to buy diesels, and now look!!!

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 07/20/2018 06:40 AM, NY wrote:
I like my 08 Peugeot. It still goes well, and hopefully having had its
mid-life crisis (big bills for cambelt and diesel particulate
filter/cat) will continue to run for a long time yet. In fact it may
only be replaced if/when its emissions become too great for some cities'
anti-pollution rules that they may introduce. Certainly I have
absolutely *no* incentive to replace it with petrol (puny low-end engine
torque) or electric (tiny range before a lengthy recharge). (*)

That was the sad end of my brother's Toyota Tercel. It ran fine but
could no longer pass the emissions test. He donated it to one of those
non-profits that send vehicles to third world countries so it probably
is still happily running and polluting in Nicaragua or Zambia.

He could have given it to me. This state considers high emissions an
efficient way of mosquito control.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

My '86 pickup is semi-retired but the original outlay and any repairs
along the way are only a fraction of the price of a new one. Plus it was
build back when pickups were utility vehicles meant to haul stuff not
luxury vehicles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 10:07:16 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 07/20/2018 04:45 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 7/20/2018 6:40 PM, BurfordTJustice wrote:
Increase dole payments then credit won't be needed.

Easy peasy.

"teach all children first aid"? Or misguide them to kill people? How do
you know what's actually being taught by individual teachers?

That was my thought. Would you trust a 15 year old to cook supper? Mow
the lawn? Take out the trash? Administer first aid to the victim of a
terrorist bombing?

I think I was 14 when I cooked my first full turkey dinner.
Of course, children aren't raised the way we were.

Still, I might rather receive first aid from a teenager than
none at all.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
NY NY is offline

wrote:

On 19/07/2018 23:46, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44883708

Finally... Next, money management, health and safety.
What? How on earth do you think they can be taught in addition to the
current core curriculum

Thumbscrews concentrate the mind. Taking away the mobile phones of those
who get low scores would be even more effective.

What is it with you guys. How can this be a bad thing.

Let me see... A 16 year old trying to administer first aid with all the
competence that they bring to other areas of their studies? That's why
Americans favor handguns; it's easier to just shoot yourself.

The problem certainly isn't limited to school children but I can recall
learning techniques over the decades that were later determined to be the
worst thing to do in the circumstances.

I am very much in support of everyone learning first aid at a young age. I
owe my life to the fact that my wife still remembered enough about CPR that
she'd learned in her teens. When I had a heart attack and cardiac arrest
some years ago, she kept me alive until the ambulance eventually arrived.

She was surprised when the 999 operator said that modern advice is not to
give mouth-to-mouth and to concentrate solely on heart massage, on the
grounds that studies have shown that the act of heart massage on the chest
allows enough air to be pushed in and out of the lungs to oxygenate the
blood, and that forced mouth-to-mouth breathing is not necessary if it would
distract the first aider from heart massage - though may be a slight benefit
if there's a second person to do it whenever the first one takes a brief
break from the Nelly the Elephant rhythm of heart massage.

She and the ambulance crew must have done something right because after
working on me for about 90 mins during which time I had no pulse (so it is
said - not sure I believe that) they kept me alive and in a good enough
state that the casualty team were able to get my heart beating. It was
rather unconventional: normal advice is apparently for paramedics to get the
patient's heart beating before they take him to casualty, but in my case
when there was no change and they had used up all the adrenaline that they
carried, plus some more brought by a fire engine (*), they decided to break
with protocol and "scoop and run" in the hope that better experience and
equipment might rectify things.

How the hell does the body (especially the brain) survive with the small
amount of oxygen that can be circulated by CPR compared with by a beating
heart? There were fears in the first few days that even if I survived I
might be brain-damaged, but the fact I'm typing this proves I'm not; the
only downsides I'm aware of are a slight loss of self-confidence and
confidence in my ability to be able to do things, and a more cautious
attitude to driving (I leave a longer gap from the car in front - better
than if it was the other way round!).

Am I right that shocking the heart with the paddles is used mainly to jolt
the heart into a proper rhythm if it is fibrillating (quivering randomly),
rather than to restart an asystolic (totally stopped) heart? Or can it do
both? In view of the amount of adrenaline I was apparently given (my wife
described a gradually-growing pile of empty ampoules on the bedroom floor)
and the recent announcement about the increased risk of brain damage, I was
lucky... Maybe "no pulse" (as she was told by the paramedics) doesn't
necessarily mean total flat-line, and that there's still *some* activity,
even if it's not very coordinated.

(*) I think the fire brigade helped in two ways: they may have happened to
be the closest vehicle that carried some adrenaline, and they were also
better able to carry me downstairs than two paramedics who weren't as
strong.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
NY NY is offline

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Dunno how long we will be allowed to keep them though. They are trying
to ban diesel cars I think. Hopefully, not for while yet. I love mine

It's not too long that they were advising us to buy diesels, and now
look!!!

I know. It's a bummer, isn't it. More fuel efficient (about 55 mpg rather
than about 40 for a similar size/power of petrol engine in the same car) and
*much* nicer to drive, without needing you to change down as far, so easier
to negotiate a roundabout or a turning into a side road without having to
change down an extra gear lower. And much better 50-70 acceleration for
overtaking a slower car. And quieter (yes, I know that's weird!) on the
motorway because the engine is lower-revving: about 2500 rather than about
3500 at 70 mph.

Out in the countryside or in small towns, used mainly out of the stop-start
rush hour, I imagine that diesels will continue, but it's a liability if my
wife ever needs to drive in/through a city which has a diesel pollution
surcharge as a daily rate. Her own car is newer and therefore a cleaner
diesel, but mine is 08 reg (Euro 4 rather than Euro 6, I think) so may fall
foul of restrictions. It's new enough to have a diesel particulate filter
(as I know to my cost, replacement at 150,000 miles cost an eye-watering
amount), but it's the oxides of nitrogen that are the problem. My knowledge
of A level chemistry from nearly 40 years ago isn't good enough to know
whether NOx can be catalytically converted (reduced?) to anything less
pooluting.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Never trust a goverment where technology is concerned.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
NY NY is offline

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 07/20/2018 06:40 AM, NY wrote:
I like my 08 Peugeot. It still goes well, and hopefully having had its
mid-life crisis (big bills for cambelt and diesel particulate
filter/cat) will continue to run for a long time yet. In fact it may
only be replaced if/when its emissions become too great for some cities'
anti-pollution rules that they may introduce. Certainly I have
absolutely *no* incentive to replace it with petrol (puny low-end engine
torque) or electric (tiny range before a lengthy recharge). (*)

That was the sad end of my brother's Toyota Tercel. It ran fine but could
no longer pass the emissions test.

So far, the MOT (annual safety and emissions test in the UK) only looks at
carbon monoxide (bugger-all in diesel exhaust) and particulates (hopefully
not too many if the car's new enough to have a DPF). If they ever start
looking more stringently at NOx, diesels will be doomed (*). The emissions
rules were tightened up a month ago, ironically the day before the earliest
date I could have my car tested, and I was apprehensive about whether it
would pass, after all the doom-and-gloom scare stories in the press.
Thankfully it passed those tests comfortably, and only had an "advisory"
(might be an idea to get it fixed sooner rather than later) about exhaust
pipe mounting. The scary thing, and the reason I took my car to a main
dealer for its MOT test this time rather than a small non-specialist garage,
was the announcement that there would be more reasons for a test centre to
ban a car from being driven away to be fixed elsewhere, with the implication
that even for things that are not safety-critical like no brakes (!) the
only way to get it to a garage to be fixed is to have it towed - which may
not be covered by normal breakdown coverage like RAC and AA. I thought "if
it's going to fail, at least it's in the best place for it to be fixed on
the spot".

He could have given it to me. This state considers high emissions an
efficient way of mosquito control.

LOL

(*) The reason that oxides of nitrogen are more of a problem with diesel is
that the actual burning of diesel fuel takes place at a higher temperature
than for petrol, even though the engine as a whole runs cooler because it
burns less fuel. And it's the higher combustion temperature which causes
more oxidation of the nitrogen that's in the atmosphere. I wonder how you
filter out nitrogen from the air intake? :-) I bet it can't be catalytically
converted back to N2 and O2 :-( I wonder whether extreme chilling (to near
absolute zero!) would cause nitrogen to liquify and drip away while oxygen
remains a gas? It would have the advantage that the very cold oxygen would
be much denser so you'd get a much greater mass of it on each intake stroke
so you could burn correspondingly more fuel, which is what a turbo does,
though using pressure rather than temperature. An extreme intercooler ;-)
(only joking - I sound like Daedalus in the famous "impossible engineering"
column of that name which used to run in New Scientist some decades a go)

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

My missus got a diesel, thinking she was doing the right thing. Within
a month, a complete turnaround. I was never a great fan of politicians
to start with - now, I just detest the lot of them.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...

wrote:

[...]

Oh my! What a frightening experience You are lucky to have such a clever
wife!

I hope all is well now??

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Ophelia" wrote in message
[...]

---

I don't know about that but I imagine ours are too old for that. 1994/95.
I read that Glasgow is talking about a charge to go into the city.
Hopefully, not for a few years. Not that we go in very often any more but it
would still be inconvenient.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 16:14:34 +0100, Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein
wrote:

rbowman wrote:
On 07/20/2018 03:08 AM, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

Are the maths that difficult to understand. My misses is the same and
her maths are shocking.

My wife held advanced degrees and was quite competent in her field. She
volunteered to prepare our tax return one year. Fortunately I checked her
work before it was submitted.

My wife is brilliant at maths, and has a household budget spreadsheet that
if printed, would probably be three metres wide. Every single shekel is
accounted for, which is a good thing. If I were in charge of the household
spending, I'd blow it all on a Bianchi Intenso Disc Ultegra and a new lens
for my camera - I have my eye on a Nikkor f/1.4 105 mm... and on other
'toys'.

she should educate you

--
www.abelard.org
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
NY NY is offline

"Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein" wrote in message
rbowman wrote:
On 07/20/2018 03:08 AM, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

Are the maths that difficult to understand. My misses is the same and
her maths are shocking.

My wife held advanced degrees and was quite competent in her field. She
volunteered to prepare our tax return one year. Fortunately I checked her
work before it was submitted.

My wife is brilliant at maths, and has a household budget spreadsheet that
if printed, would probably be three metres wide. Every single shekel is
accounted for, which is a good thing. If I were in charge of the
household
spending, I'd blow it all on a Bianchi Intenso Disc Ultegra and a new lens
for my camera - I have my eye on a Nikkor f/1.4 105 mm... and on other
'toys'.

Yes, my wife, who works for a financial institution though on the software
test management rather than financial side, has got our finances on
Microsoft Money and has records of her earnings and spendings going back
years, from which she can predict what future bills will be (based on bill
for same time last year). It's good that she does it, because although I can
see how useful it is, that never manages to outweigh the fact that I find
the whole subject bores me rigid.

If I had money to spare I might blow it on a new lens too. When I bought my
Nikon D90 it came with an 18-200 f5.6 which is convenient in terms of only
needing one lens, but a wider lens would allow faster shutter speeds and a
prime (or shorter zoom) may be sharper. At least this lens has less
distortion than the two shorter-range zooms 28-70 and 70-210 IIRC that I
bought for my 35mm film camera years ago. It wasn't until after I'd bought
them that I learned about pincushion and barrel distortion, which those
lenses suffered from to a horrible extent. Not the best purchase I've ever
made (*). Thankfully with the wonders of distortion-correction software
which knows about the ideosyncracies of most lenses, and a guess at what
zoom I was using (even if it's only "high end" or "low end" or range) I can
correct any scans I make from the film in situations where it's most
noticeable. It's lucky that my wife bought a few prime and more expensive
zoom lens for her Nikon jest before we met, so I can use her lenses - that
was what influenced me to go for Nikon rather than Canon when I was looking
for a DSLR.

(*) That will trust me to buy a third-party lens rather than a
manufacturer's (eg Canon or Nikon) lens, I think mine might have been
Tamron, The lens elements were probably made from old milk bottles :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk,alt.comp.freeware

On 7/20/2018 10:08 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/20/2018 04:45 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

"teach all children first aid"? Or misguide them to kill people? How do
you know what's actually being taught by individual teachers?

That was my thought. Would you trust a 15 year old to cook supper? Mow
the lawn? Take out the trash? Administer first aid to the victim of a
terrorist bombing?

Sure would. My two kids did all those other things by 15 and my son was
a certified EMT at 16. Yes, he saved some lives in the ambulance.

He was taught by certified teaches, the way it should be. Not everyone
has the ability to administer aid properly or to teach it but it can be
done with the rest.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

wrote:

rbowman wrote:
On 07/20/2018 03:08 AM, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

Are the maths that difficult to understand. My misses is the same and
her maths are shocking.

My wife held advanced degrees and was quite competent in her field. She
volunteered to prepare our tax return one year. Fortunately I checked her
work before it was submitted.

My wife is brilliant at maths, and has a household budget spreadsheet that
if printed, would probably be three metres wide. Every single shekel is
accounted for, which is a good thing. If I were in charge of the household
spending, I'd blow it all on a Bianchi Intenso Disc Ultegra and a new lens
for my camera - I have my eye on a Nikkor f/1.4 105 mm... and on other
'toys'.

she should educate you

She does, and she has.

not very good at teaching or you're very slow?

--
www.abelard.org

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

rbowman wrote:

[...]

I suggested something like MS Money. 'Don't need it', she says. I can't
fault her, as we get three or four international holidays a year, and if I
were in charge, we'd be lucky to afford a falafel on Jaffa Street.

If I had money to spare I might blow it on a new lens too. When I bought
my Nikon D90 it came with an 18-200 f5.6 which is convenient in terms of
only needing one lens, but a wider lens would allow faster shutter speeds
and a prime (or shorter zoom) may be sharper. At least this lens has less
distortion than the two shorter-range zooms 28-70 and 70-210 IIRC that I
bought for my 35mm film camera years ago.

Kit lenses are ****. I bought my D810 without lenses, and went from there.
My favourite is a 35 mm - it's an older model with aperture ring on the
barrel, but I just lock that at f/22 and the camera takes care of setting
aperture in the normal way

how the blazes does it do that when f22 is probably the smallest
aperture on your lens, more of your math education?

(well, strictly speaking, I shoot aperture
priority almost all the time, so I set the aperture, but you know what I
mean). Bought second hand, the clarity is ****ing mind-boggling. There's
also a 'nifty fifty' f/1.8 (which I bought in Bangkok, amusingly enough...
since I didn't go there for the lady boys ;-) ) and a Tamron 70-300 mm in
my camera bag. But all that **** is heavy, so I treated myself to a
Panasonic Lumix GX8 and 'pancake' 20 mm. Brilliant little lens, great
camera - especially in low light. And much lighter to carry.

--
www.abelard.org
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

rbowman wrote:

[...]

Is this a serious question?

It's an older lens, with a 'ring' on the barrel to set aperture. But the
Nikon D810 is a modern DSLR where aperture is set via a rotating 'knob'
(for want of a better word) on top of the camera (unless you change the
settings to use another control). So one leaves the aperture ring at f/22
(I think there's a little button to lock it, but everything is downstairs.
I'll look later), and control of the aperture is then passed to the usual
control on the camera body.

no, it's a statement

i don't know what sort of prehistoric equipment you have...but f22 is
still probably the smallest aperture on your lens...

you may know that 22 is 'bigger' that 2.8....but an aperture of
22 is smaller than 2.8...not knowing that's a good definition of
innumerate!

--
www.abelard.org
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

rbowman wrote:

[...]

Yes, there is a little 'slider' at f/22. Slide it towards the camera body
and it locks the aperture ring.

to educate yourself...look through the lens while you adjust the
aperture

--
www.abelard.org
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

rbowman wrote:

[...]

It ended with a question mark.

i don't know what sort of prehistoric equipment you have...but f22 is
still probably the smallest aperture on your lens...

And this is somehow relevant, because ..?

you may know that 22 is 'bigger' that 2.8....but an aperture of
22 is smaller than 2.8...not knowing that's a good definition of
innumerate!

You really don't handle being made to look like a fool, do you? Then
again, in your defence - few people do.

I am well aware of the relationship between 'f' number and aperture. I am
also aware of the mathematical formulae which underpin this relationship.

of course you are...of course you are

--
www.abelard.org
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

rbowman wrote:

[...]

And you could have avoided that humiliation if you'd just shut up and not
posted on a thread where you're completely ignorant of the subject.

But then again, if you applied that philosophy to uk.politics.misc, you'd
never post.

you've just got to be john of aches

--
www.abelard.org
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
NY NY is offline

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Oh my! What a frightening experience You are lucky to have such a
clever wife!

I hope all is well now??

Yes it is thanks. I remember very little of it beyond coming inside for a
rest after working in the garden on a hot sultry day, getting undressed to
have a cool shower, standing up, and... nothing. My wife when she followed
me inside thought "I'd better - in case he has a heart attack" which is
incredibly prescient since I'd no history of heart trouble. She was
downstairs when she heard a loud thump as I fell on the floor. Ambulances,
CPR, adrenaline, fire brigade - I was not aware of any of it. The next I
remember was waking up in hospital about two weeks later to hear random
words like "Winehouse", "Breivik", "gun attack", "Norway" and "News of the
World" - which was the nurses discussing all the news stories that had been
happening while I'd been away with the fairies. My wife and my parents were
really put through the emotional wringer: they were told that x% of people
survived full cardiac arrest for over two hours, and of those, only y%
survived without brain damage or other organ failure (x and y are small
numbers). At one stage they thought my kidneys had packed up, and then
discovered that the wee-wee tube was kinked :-) And at one point they were
asked the worst question that any doctor can ask: does he carry an organ
donor card. But my wife insisted on more brain-function tests and these came
back healthy. She described going home one night full of doom and gloom
about my chances, getting a very pessimistic report from a very rude nurse
when she arrived the following morning - and then seeing me give her a big
cheesy grin of recognition. "He's all right!" she thought. We weren't
actually married at the time, and apparently the first words I mouthed to
her (I couldn't actually talk because I still had a breathing tube in my
neck) were "Marry me". She said "Yes" ;-)

What was odd was my memory. I remembered most things - enough to know who
Amy Winehouse had been, that News of the World had been a newspaper, what my
name was, where I lived etc. But when my wife asked me "where have we just
been on holiday" and "where's that place on the hill that we went to the day
before your heart attack" I hadn't the foggiest. Recent memories are the
longest to return, apparently, But what was odd was that when I *did* start
to remember, after a lot of prompting and subtle hints, the answers (Isle of
Skye and Scarborough Castle) to her two questions, the memories didn't come
back little by little. It was as if someone turned a key and unlocked *all*
the memories at once.

Every year we celebrate my "re-birthday" on the day it happened. I remember
working with a guy whose legs were paralysed after a motor bike accident in
his youth, and one day he gathered us all together and made a little speech
to say "It was 32 years ago since the day I was paralysed. I always
celebrate that day, which might seem odd, but things could have been so
different. My mate on the bike behind me didn't make it." Now having my own
day to celebrate, I can understand more fully that sometimes you celebrate
something bad... which could have been a whole lot worse.

While I was in hospital I was told that one of the three crucial "coronary"
arteries which feed the heart itself had been blocked and had been cleared,
but that the other two would need unblocking later (reading between the
lines "if I survived"). But when I went back for a clinic a month later, for
a scan of my heart, they could find no trace of those narrowings. The guy
even called in two colleagues to make sure. Goodness knows what happened to
the blockages. All I can assume is that the original tests when I was first
brought in were wrong.

It's taken my wife a long time to stop worrying about how I am when she's at
work and I'm at home or out seeing a client and she hasn't heard from me for
a few hours. Skype, for quick "how are you - just checking you're still
alive" chats, has been a lifesend.

Lasting effects? I leave a longer gap from the car ahead of me (good thing
my perception of distance isn't the other way round). I have lost some of my
confidence in my abilities. I'm not quite as resourceful at researching
technical things and weighing up the pros and cons of alternatives. But when
we go out for a bike ride, I'm the one who gets up the hill quicker and is
less out of breath - well that was the case until she bought an electric
bike to keep up with me. I've escaped remarkably lightly. I'm not in any way
religious and find talk of worship, praise, belief-without-proof a foreign
language, but I have to admit, *someone* must have been on my side that day.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

Yes! Your wife!!!! g You are very lucky to have her. My goodness, she
has been by your side all these years, caring for you and even saving your
life)

You are indeed a very lucky man))

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 07/20/2018 08:17 AM, NY wrote:
She was surprised when the 999 operator said that modern advice is not
to give mouth-to-mouth and to concentrate solely on heart massage, on
the grounds that studies have shown that the act of heart massage on the
chest allows enough air to be pushed in and out of the lungs to
oxygenate the blood, and that forced mouth-to-mouth breathing is not
necessary if it would distract the first aider from heart massage -
though may be a slight benefit if there's a second person to do it
whenever the first one takes a brief break from the Nelly the Elephant
rhythm of heart massage.

I'm behind the times. My last certification was in 1999 and it was
breathe, pump, pump, breathe and so forth. Then there was the cautionary
advice if working on a kid try not to drive its sternum through its
backbone.

At least dropping the mouth to mouth means you don't have to worry about
AIDS unless you have a bleeder.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 22:10:38 +0100, Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein
wrote:

abelard wrote:

you've just got to be john of aches

pmsl! You can always tell when abelard has been handed a drubbing, as he
falls back on his default tactic of claiming that you're somehow a 'sock
puppet' of someone else.

All you had to do was STFU and you wouldn't have been embarrassed, Peter.

changing your nym for john of aches to pork pie is not
a 'sock puppet'

do you know anything?

--
www.abelard.org