Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
NY NY is offline

Default Plan to teach all children first aid

"Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein" wrote in message
rbowman wrote:
On 07/20/2018 03:08 AM, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

Are the maths that difficult to understand. My misses is the same and
her maths are shocking.

My wife held advanced degrees and was quite competent in her field. She
volunteered to prepare our tax return one year. Fortunately I checked her
work before it was submitted.

My wife is brilliant at maths, and has a household budget spreadsheet that
if printed, would probably be three metres wide. Every single shekel is
accounted for, which is a good thing. If I were in charge of the
household
spending, I'd blow it all on a Bianchi Intenso Disc Ultegra and a new lens
for my camera - I have my eye on a Nikkor f/1.4 105 mm... and on other
'toys'.

Yes, my wife, who works for a financial institution though on the software
test management rather than financial side, has got our finances on
Microsoft Money and has records of her earnings and spendings going back
years, from which she can predict what future bills will be (based on bill
for same time last year). It's good that she does it, because although I can
see how useful it is, that never manages to outweigh the fact that I find
the whole subject bores me rigid.

If I had money to spare I might blow it on a new lens too. When I bought my
Nikon D90 it came with an 18-200 f5.6 which is convenient in terms of only
needing one lens, but a wider lens would allow faster shutter speeds and a
prime (or shorter zoom) may be sharper. At least this lens has less
distortion than the two shorter-range zooms 28-70 and 70-210 IIRC that I
bought for my 35mm film camera years ago. It wasn't until after I'd bought
them that I learned about pincushion and barrel distortion, which those
lenses suffered from to a horrible extent. Not the best purchase I've ever
made (*). Thankfully with the wonders of distortion-correction software
which knows about the ideosyncracies of most lenses, and a guess at what
zoom I was using (even if it's only "high end" or "low end" or range) I can
correct any scans I make from the film in situations where it's most
noticeable. It's lucky that my wife bought a few prime and more expensive
zoom lens for her Nikon jest before we met, so I can use her lenses - that
was what influenced me to go for Nikon rather than Canon when I was looking
for a DSLR.

(*) That will trust me to buy a third-party lens rather than a
manufacturer's (eg Canon or Nikon) lens, I think mine might have been
Tamron, The lens elements were probably made from old milk bottles :-)