Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chemistry help for cleaning the wife's pots & pans with pool acid

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 12:37:39 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

I'll get out the pressure washer!

We never fail ... but we often try a few things that don't work before
succeeding.

I've used oven cleaner on such things and it worked like a charm.

I'd like to see Danny's video of the power washer and chasing the pots
around the yard. It won't be easy but Huckleberry will give it his
best effort.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 15:35:29 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

I was hoping for a magic chemical but Frank said NaOH isn't it.
Certainly HCl isn't it.

Make a ball of aluminum foil, rub, and see it takes the burnt cooties
off. That is how I clean my grill (s) grates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2017 1:22 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 11:29:29 -0400, Frank wrote:

I think I mentioned before that strong acids and bases will react with
aluminum etching it and generating hydrogen gas which is the foam.
The aluminum salts of both are colorless but there may be something in
the stain turning the froth green.

There's something in the aluminum pots which turns the HCl emerald green.
Maybe Fe?

Baking soda is safe to use. You have burned in stains which are
basically carbon that would have to be mechanically removed.

Everyone says to use Baking Soda for almost everything but nobody knows how
(or if) it works.

Baking soda is just sodium bicarbonate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

It always amazes me that most people (not chemists) say to use baking soda
for almost everything but not one of them knows how it works (or even if it
works). I suspect 99% of the time it doesn't work.

Somehow, they think baking soda does something that sodium bicarbonate
can't do.

Wiki says it's just a minor scouring agent, which if the point was to do
physical labor, the pots would have been cleaned by someone else already.

My advice is to ditch the pots and buy new ones and don't abuse them.

Naaaah. That wouldn't be any fun.

I suspect your pots have been too abused to completely recover them.
Even stainless steel scrubbers will abraid softer aluminum. Things
wear out.

I own a sand blaster, but I'm gonna try the more gentle pressure washer
next.

Basically, all I really need though, is a carbon solvent.

Baking soda is slightly alkaline. Not enough to attack aluminum but
alkaline enough to help solubilize acidic materials. Oxidation of a lot
of carbon containing materials makes for carboxylic acid groups.
Vinegar is slightly acidic. Not enough to attack most metals but and
remove lime deposits by solubilizing the calcium salts. So both are
used as mild cleaning agents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 15:00:34 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Ask Oren. He knows how to get rid of crud fast!

....don't throw me in that briar patch!

You mentioned the food being placed into the freezer, hot oil, fire
extinguisher, and.....

Look on YouTube on Turkey Frier fires, frozen food (water) and hot
oil. Call to 911 and a need for home repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'll get out the pressure washer!

We never fail ... but we often try a few things that don't work before
succeeding.

I've used oven cleaner on such things and it worked like a charm.

I'd like to see Danny's video of the power washer and chasing the pots
around the yard. It won't be easy but Huckleberry will give it his
best effort.

I like his spirit! He doesn't settle for average.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'll get out the pressure washer!

We never fail ... but we often try a few things that don't work before
succeeding.

I've used oven cleaner on such things and it worked like a charm.

I'd like to see Danny's video of the power washer and chasing the pots
around the yard. It won't be easy but Huckleberry will give it his
best effort.

I like his spirit! He doesn't settle for average.

Danny is a retired bean counter. Attention to detail. Even has a sense
of humor. Some people give him ****; but in fact, his posts are
interesting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'll get out the pressure washer!

We never fail ... but we often try a few things that don't work before
succeeding.

I've used oven cleaner on such things and it worked like a charm.

I'd like to see Danny's video of the power washer and chasing the pots
around the yard. It won't be easy but Huckleberry will give it his
best effort.

I like his spirit! He doesn't settle for average.

Danny is a retired bean counter. Attention to detail. Even has a sense
of humor. Some people give him ****; but in fact, his posts are
interesting.

I wonder how many beans he ended up with? I like reading his posts, too.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D." wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 05:49:19 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

I use lava straight from a volcano. None of that sissy stuff for me!

You may not know this, but I've been to every volcano I can find in most
countries I've visited.

You would have enjoyed the 1959 eruption of Kilauea Iki. Park rangers
closed off access but I went the long way...across Kilauea caldera to an
area called Byron's Ledge which was only about 1000' from the spouting vent.

Now, 1000' sounds like a fair distance but the vent was shooting up as high
as 2500' and the norm was 1000+. It was hot (and noisy!); I had a Hastings
triplet on a beaded chain around my neck, had to remove it because the chain
got so hot.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Danny D." wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 07:34:32 -0400, Art Todesco wrote:

I'd use spray oven cleaner, but the acid may have already damaged the
surface of the pot.

I thought of the oven cleaner foam, but really, I dislike the weak
chemicals that are found in a supermarket, or even nowadays, in
California,
the "baby chemicals" that are available in the hardware stores.

I wish I had access to a chem lab which has concentrated sulfuric acid and
sodium hydroxide both of which are like syrup as I recall from my college
days long ago.

So the trick is to find a local industrial supplier where I can buy a
gallon of sodium hydroxide.

What industry uses sodium hydroxide by the gallon?

Soap manufacturers for one. Potassium hydroxide too. Use wood ash and make
your own.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Danny D." wrote in message
news
I think I'm looking for something more directly dissolving of the baked-on
fats than a simple water softener.

To that effect, I do note my favorite, sodium hydroxide next on the list,
but the question always was how to get a gallon of NaOH which I'd love to
have at my disposal.

There must be chemical supply houses in California. Go to one. Or pick one
of these...
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=bulk+naoh

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 09:50:12 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

You burned the actual wires in your range hood?

I think this was about aluminum wires to the oven range (s).

Electrician said mine are good, while standing there. Still haven't
tried the heat for the oven-cleaning mode. That clean gets hot. May
even clean Danny's pots and leave burnt carbon ashes.

--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2017 5:24 AM, Danny D. wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 23:16:42 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

I believe Frank is a chemist. You might try pinging him with your
chemistry questions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The main chemistry questions for Frank are
Why is the froth green?

And
Where can I get a gallon of concentrated NaOH locally?

And, Would baking soda (of which I have five pounds of) stand a chance?

Along time ago, A housemate of mine burned food onto a Caphalon pot.
then boiled it with baking sods for a few hours to get the crud loose.
After that, the anodized aluminum pot had pits all over the bottom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2017 8:36 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 8:23:13 AM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 07:15:42 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

Lye = sodium hydroxide. It will dissolve the crud but not eat the metal
like HCl.

No doubt about it that concentrated sodium hydroxide would be fun to try.
The question is where to get the concentrate locally.

I'm not the type to buy the tremendously diluted and perfumed household
chemicals in the local supermarket.

I like the raw powerful stuff.

Draino was basically sodium hydroxide, with some other minor stuff
mixed in. That should screw up those pots more, especially if they
are aluminum. In fact, I think Draino had/has some aluminum tiny
aluminum chips in it to react, make heat and get it going.

Which suggests it wouldn't be a good idea in aluminum pots.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-29 6:54 PM, Danny D. wrote:

More importantly, what is my next magic chemical to try?

The best environmentally friendly chemical that is widely available is
L-bo Grease.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-29 6:54 PM, Danny D. wrote:

More importantly, what is my next magic chemical to try?

The best environmentally friendly chemical that is widely available is
L-bo Grease.

But does it come with instructions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 7:59:08 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
What chemistry is going on here?
http://i.imgur.com/C6hStFB.jpg

Specifically, why green?
http://i.imgur.com/A6zmLJM.jpg

The wife loves when I clean the toilets using the patented huckleberry
method devised by Oren of pouring concentrated pool acid into the tank, so,
she asked me to clean the pots and pans ("for once").
http://i.imgur.com/UOjeomJ.jpg

Being a believer in the magic of alchemy, I dutifully pour the HCL:
blob:http://imgur.com/f7bf8cd4-3abc-49dd-9b7d-16a5ae9c04a0

This muriatic acid bubbles and froths quite reassuringly, as if it's doing
something useful:
http://i.imgur.com/EqJPylY.jpg

But the end result is less than spectacular:
http://i.imgur.com/nmyISVG.jpg

It seems the metal *under* the baked-on crud was worn away, leaving the
crud!
http://i.imgur.com/kHCTfCe.jpg

On the inside of the pot, it just seemed to pit the insides like sandpaper:
http://i.imgur.com/XYnQF0P.jpg

The result of all that hydrochloric acid was a large vase of pretty green
"something" ... but what is this green something made out of?
http://i.imgur.com/O5R4g1t.jpg

More importantly, what is my next magic chemical to try?

SOKOFF is the product you need. It removes baked on grease and carbon deposits. Safe on most cookware including aluminum. I used it on a well-used commercial waffle iron and it came out great. You can find it on some stores or on Amazon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

SOKOFF is the product you need. It removes baked on grease and carbon deposits. Safe on most cookware including aluminum. I used it on a well-used commercial waffle iron and it came out great. You can find it in some stores or on Amazon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 17:52:41 -0700 (PDT), Ed60062
wrote:

SOKOFF is the product you need. It removes baked on grease and carbon deposits. Safe on most cookware including aluminum. I used it on a well-used commercial waffle iron and it came out great. You can find it in some stores or on Amazon.

Wow, $25 / pint. seems like liquid silver.

If you have access to a small steam cleaner, I would give that a try.
Steam is quite remarkable when it comes to cleaning. Something like
this:

http://amzn.to/2vk1NrO
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D." writes:

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 11:29:29 -0400, Frank wrote:

I think I mentioned before that strong acids and bases will react
with aluminum etching it and generating hydrogen gas which is the
foam. The aluminum salts of both are colorless but there may be
something in the stain turning the froth green.

There's something in the aluminum pots which turns the HCl emerald green.
Maybe Fe?

Already answered, pay attention.

Green, usually copper.
Iron, typically red.

Just looked up Chromium, it has some green compounds.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
"Danny D." wrote in message
[...]

Numerous but they are all large format transparencies. Some nice shots
here...
https://www.google.com/search?q=kila...ih=561&dpr=1.5

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 8:00:44 PM UTC-5, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 17:52:41 -0700 (PDT), Ed60062 wrote:

SOKOFF is the product you need. It removes baked on grease and carbon deposits. Safe on most cookware including aluminum. I used it on a well-used commercial waffle iron and it came out great. You can find it in some stores or on Amazon.

Wow, $25 / pint. seems like liquid silver.

If you have access to a small steam cleaner, I would give that a try.
Steam is quite remarkable when it comes to cleaning. Something like
this:

http://amzn.to/2vk1NrO

I bought a steam cleaner hoping to use it on my Weber grill. It did practically nothing to the cooked on grease and carbon deposits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2017 8:52 PM, Ed60062 wrote:
[...]

Could shop for his needs he

http://www.kolene.com/salt-bath-equi...aning-systems/
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Danny D. posted for all of us...

[...]

Heroin + carfentanil? VBG and NOT serious

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

I'll get out the pressure washer!

We never fail ... but we often try a few things that don't work before
succeeding.

I've used oven cleaner on such things and it worked like a charm.

I'd like to see Danny's video of the power washer and chasing the pots
around the yard. It won't be easy but Huckleberry will give it his
best effort.

He could use his car as a back stop.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

I'll get out the pressure washer!

We never fail ... but we often try a few things that don't work before
succeeding.

I've used oven cleaner on such things and it worked like a charm.

I'd like to see Danny's video of the power washer and chasing the pots
around the yard. It won't be easy but Huckleberry will give it his
best effort.

I like his spirit! He doesn't settle for average.

Danny is a retired bean counter. Attention to detail. Even has a sense
of humor. Some people give him ****; but in fact, his posts are
interesting.

Shhh, don't give him a bigger head...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D. posted for all of us...

[...]

I recommend: https://www.google.com/search?q=carb...olver&ie=utf-8
&oe=utf-8

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Danny D. posted for all of us...

heavy
encrustations

You got me hooked here!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

dadiOH posted for all of us...

"Danny D." wrote in message
news
I think I'm looking for something more directly dissolving of the baked-on
fats than a simple water softener.

To that effect, I do note my favorite, sodium hydroxide next on the list,
but the question always was how to get a gallon of NaOH which I'd love to
have at my disposal.

There must be chemical supply houses in California. Go to one. Or pick one
of these...
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=bulk+naoh

IDK I think California outlaws all chemicals except the injectable ones...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 2017-07-29 6:54 PM, Danny D. wrote:

More importantly, what is my next magic chemical to try?

The best environmentally friendly chemical that is widely available is
L-bo Grease.

But does it come with instructions?

Look under 'strengthening your forearm'

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 15:53:38 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Danny D. posted for all of us...

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 11:29:29 -0400, Frank wrote:

I think I mentioned before that strong acids and bases will react with
aluminum etching it and generating hydrogen gas which is the foam. The
aluminum salts of both are colorless but there may be something in the
stain turning the froth green.
I own a sand blaster, but I'm gonna try the more gentle pressure washer

next.

Basically, all I really need though, is a carbon solvent.

I recommend: https://www.google.com/search?q=carb...olver&ie=utf-8
&oe=utf-8

How does the food taste afterwards. Pass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:51:25 -0700 (PDT), Ed60062
wrote:

I bought a steam cleaner hoping to use it on my Weber grill. It did practically nothing to the cooked on grease and carbon deposits.

I have a Weber Smoky Mountain. Just knock the carbon flakes off your
Kettle, burn it again without food, hot. My grates go on the gas grill
for a hot burn. Then rubbed with a ball of aluminum foil.

Hose and wipe the outside.

Your grill needs some seasoned carbon holding the smokiness.

Not the same cases as the OP.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Danny D." wrote in news
On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 20:53:01 -0700, Bob F wrote:

I thought bases were appropriate to dissolve organics rather than acids.

They are.

The only bases I have in any concentration are 5-pound bags of baking soda
(sodium bicarbonate). Does that stand a chance of working?

Nope, but it won't eat your pans, either.

I'd love to try sodium hydroxide but where, in California, locally, can I
pick up a bottle of concentrated sodium hydroxide like I can do with pool
chemicals?

Probably nowhere. Try washing soda instead. You should be able to find it on the laundry
aisle of your local supermarket -- box of Arm & Hammer brand looks pretty much like the
A&H baking soda box except a lot bigger. Note: washing soda will leave a dark gray layer
on your aluminum pans, but that's a heck of a lot better than eating the metal away.

What in the world ever possessed you to use muriatic acid to clean your cookware,
anyway? That stuff's for cleaning concrete and porcelain, not metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 15:53:38 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Danny D. posted for all of us...

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 11:29:29 -0400, Frank wrote:

I think I mentioned before that strong acids and bases will react with
aluminum etching it and generating hydrogen gas which is the foam. The
aluminum salts of both are colorless but there may be something in the
stain turning the froth green.
I own a sand blaster, but I'm gonna try the more gentle pressure washer
next.

Basically, all I really need though, is a carbon solvent.

I recommend: https://www.google.com/search?q=carb...olver&ie=utf-8
&oe=utf-8

How does the food taste afterwards. Pass.

He wanted a carbon remover.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 14:34:48 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 15:53:38 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Danny D. posted for all of us...

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 11:29:29 -0400, Frank wrote:

I think I mentioned before that strong acids and bases will react with
aluminum etching it and generating hydrogen gas which is the foam. The
aluminum salts of both are colorless but there may be something in the
stain turning the froth green.
I own a sand blaster, but I'm gonna try the more gentle pressure washer
next.

Basically, all I really need though, is a carbon solvent.

I recommend: https://www.google.com/search?q=carb...olver&ie=utf-8
&oe=utf-8

How does the food taste afterwards. Pass.

He wanted a carbon remover.

So he needs to find another way; rather chemicals that taint the taste
in the cook.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2017 4:30 PM, Oren wrote:

I recommend: https://www.google.com/search?q=carb...olver&ie=utf-8
&oe=utf-8

How does the food taste afterwards. Pass.

He wanted a carbon remover.

So he needs to find another way; rather chemicals that taint the taste
in the cook.

The best way is to eliminate the need to use chemicals by changing the
cooking process. Accidents can happen but this seems to be part of the
normal process.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2017 1:18 PM, Frank wrote:

Could shop for his needs he

http://www.kolene.com/salt-bath-equi...aning-systems/

Frank... I have a chemistry question related to detergent/soap suds and
oil/grease.

I've noticed that many soaps will bubble and lather up nicely but when
it hits the oil or grease that the lather and bubbles disappear. Also,
if oil or grease is present that soap doesn't want to bubble up.

The reason I ask is I see the same thing happen when I use liquid bath
soap and bath oil. If I haven't used any bath oil in the tub, the
liquid bath soap will lather and bubble up nicely, but if I used bath
oil before using the soap, the soap won't lather up at all.

Is the oil breaking down the bath soap or vice versa? What causes the
soap to not lather up if oil is present in the water?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 22:17:25 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 7/31/2017 1:18 PM, Frank wrote:

Could shop for his needs he

http://www.kolene.com/salt-bath-equi...aning-systems/

Frank... I have a chemistry question related to detergent/soap suds and
oil/grease.

I've noticed that many soaps will bubble and lather up nicely but when
it hits the oil or grease that the lather and bubbles disappear. Also,
if oil or grease is present that soap doesn't want to bubble up.

The reason I ask is I see the same thing happen when I use liquid bath
soap and bath oil. If I haven't used any bath oil in the tub, the
liquid bath soap will lather and bubble up nicely, but if I used bath
oil before using the soap, the soap won't lather up at all.

Is the oil breaking down the bath soap or vice versa? What causes the
soap to not lather up if oil is present in the water?

Soap and oil form an emulsion. That is not like either of them but it
does make the oil more mobile so it will go down the train easier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK I understand what you're saying.

So, why doesn't the soap bubble/lather up when oil is present in the
water? I thought the soap lather was supposed to break down the oil,
but it seems to be the other way around.

If I have soap bubbles in the water, they will totally disappear if I
add bath oil to the water.

I'm just curious as to what is chemically happening ... why does the oil
prevent the soap from foaming up?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It isn't soap anymore it is a soap/oil emulsion and the soap will not
support the bubbles. You see the same thing in dish water once oil
builds up it to the point that it has overwhelmed the soap (or
detergent). It is actually a good thing because the oil is trapped in
that emulsion, the object of the exercise. If there is sufficient soap
in the water, it will carry that oil down the drain and off to the
sewer plant.
You see it work the opposite way if there is an oil slick on the water
around your boat and you squirt some detergent in the water. The oil
is still there but the slick is gone. (a trick people do to avoid
getting busted by the enviro cops)