Posted to alt.home.repair
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= is offline

Default Chemistry help for cleaning the wife's pots & pans with pool acid

Danny D. posted for all of us...

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 11:29:29 -0400, Frank wrote:

I think I mentioned before that strong acids and bases will react with
aluminum etching it and generating hydrogen gas which is the foam. The
aluminum salts of both are colorless but there may be something in the
stain turning the froth green.

There's something in the aluminum pots which turns the HCl emerald green.
Maybe Fe?

Baking soda is safe to use. You have burned in stains which are
basically carbon that would have to be mechanically removed.

Everyone says to use Baking Soda for almost everything but nobody knows how
(or if) it works.

Baking soda is just sodium bicarbonate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

It always amazes me that most people (not chemists) say to use baking soda
for almost everything but not one of them knows how it works (or even if it
works). I suspect 99% of the time it doesn't work.

Somehow, they think baking soda does something that sodium bicarbonate
can't do.

Wiki says it's just a minor scouring agent, which if the point was to do
physical labor, the pots would have been cleaned by someone else already.

My advice is to ditch the pots and buy new ones and don't abuse them.

Naaaah. That wouldn't be any fun.

I suspect your pots have been too abused to completely recover them.
Even stainless steel scrubbers will abraid softer aluminum. Things wear
out.

I own a sand blaster, but I'm gonna try the more gentle pressure washer
next.

Basically, all I really need though, is a carbon solvent.

I recommend: https://www.google.com/search?q=carb...olver&ie=utf-8
&oe=utf-8

--
Tekkie