Posted to alt.home.repair

Default heater inspection

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 9:17:03 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/9/2017 4:24 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 20:03:26 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 10:40:53 PM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 21:46:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/8/2017 8:58 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

No it's not misinformation. Anybody who's ever replaced a heater core on GM vehicles that
I know of, know that the core has an inlet and outlet and no valves restricting flow.
It's the job of the mixer door to adjust heat in the cabin. There are some vehicles that
have heater water valves, but I haven't worked on them.
And their is no "extra" heat.
Engine designers can't eliminate waste heat until they design one that's 100% efficient.

It has been probably 40 years since I played with heater cores, but I do
know there was a valve in the line to stop the flow. Maybe thing have
changed?

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...hard-zeppetini

Google heater core valve and then click on images.

This is GM specific
https://www.google.com/search?q=heat...w=1366&bih=638

Like I said, "There are some vehicles that have heater water valves, but I haven't worked
on them." I've owned only Chevy cars and one van, and a Grand Am since about 1975.
NONE of them had a heater valve. Nor did my 1966 F100 Ford PU, or 1973 Dart.
Pretty sure you'll find that cars without heater water valves are as common as Chevys.

Maybe you just need to look harder?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-Heater-Control-Valve-Heater-Valve-Front-4-Seasons-74603-/272744018440?fits=Make%3APontiac|Model%3AGrand+Am& epid=75725794&hash=item3f80cf7208:g:BhoAAOSwq7JUAT Wl&vxp=mtr

If you give us the year for the vehicles in question
we can look at accurate part info. But just googling
for Pontiac Grand Am, looking on Ebay, etc obviously
at least some of them used heater valves.

I'll repeat, "There are some vehicles that have heater water valves, but I haven't worked
on them." Here's my Pontiac. 1995 Pontiac GT. 3.3 liter engine. Good luck finding the
non-existant heater control valve. My 2003 Chevy Impala with the 3.4 likewise.
Won't bother naming all the vehicles I've had with no heater control valve. All of them.
A valve on a heater hose is too obvious to miss for anybody who works on their engines, and
hose maintenance comes with the territory.
I see the '66 F100 came equipped with one, but it was gone before I personally removed
the 352 ci engine twice, replacing all hoses once. I never missed it.

Sorry Vic, but I found it in less than a minute. Please, stop it. Cars
have heater valves. Exception being air cooled engines. My Corvair and
Karmen Ghias did not have them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1995...X9v7JjSEMp7iM:

I was trying to look up the specific part at part
stores, but didn't get past that there is no 1995 Pontiac GT. Was that a Firebird Transam GT or
something? I think you have to be careful with just general google searches because a lot of time
they come back with hits for aftermarket things
you could add, ie generic extra widgets, that are
not part of the car.

From some other googling, I found at least one
place that said that some cars do have the system
these guys are talking about, where they just
modulate the air flow and don't control the coolant
flow. That kind of design doesn't make any sense
to me for the reasons cited. But I still doubt
Clare's position that the vast majority of cars
are built that way now. Also, IDK what exactly
"now" means. If this big shift has occurerd, I
think it has to be only in much more recent years,
not back in 1995. The designs I've seen, the air
flowed through both the heating and cooling cores
and the coolant through both cores mas modulated
by valves according to need for heat or cooling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 15:49:27 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 15:09:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/8/2017 1:44 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 12:41:10 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 09:46:02 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 09:39:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Florida doesn't inspect cars at all unless you live in one of the
polluted blue cities. Then they scan for emission codes.
Pretty obvious when you drive there. Some of the worst clunkers I've
seen on the road ANYWHERE - and I've driven in a lot of "third world"
areas.

So what? They were still passing you.

e have limited inspection in CT. The accident rate is no worse than
states that do inspections.

Responsible people get their car repaired. Irresponsible people find
ways around the inspection.

That was pretty much what Florida figured out 40 years ago. It did not
have any noticeable effect on our accident rate either. Most accidents
involve alcohol or general inattention anyway (phones, food/drink or
screwing with electronic things on the dash), not equipment failure.
As was pointed out here, most inspection these days is just dumping
the codes on the computer anyway.

You are talking "emission testing" Safety checks are a totally
different kettle of fish - up here only required on non-commercial
vehicles for transfer of ownership or when required by insurance
company (usually on vehicles over 20 years old) Commercial vehicles
and vehicles towing heavy trailers get inspected more often (anually
or every six months, or every 2 years, depending on class) Then there
are highway spot checks for commercial vehicles as well.You really do
NOT want to fail one of those. Gets expensive!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 19:58:24 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 12:43:46 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 12:43:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:

There will be flow too, in MOST cars still on the road. The vast
majority do not control water flow through the heater core any more -
they just control air flow, either through or around. This is
particularly true of cars with "climate control" or automatic
temperature control / AC

This is shocking misinformation. Why in the world would any climate control or even manual AC be putting heat into the heater core unnecessarily while trying to cool the car? They're fighting for anything that can improve fuel economy and they have the heater core putting extra heat in the cabin? WTF? Why would they do that? And all it takes is to close a valve that's already there.

No it's not misinformation. Anybody who's ever replaced a heater core on GM vehicles that
I know of, know that the core has an inlet and outlet and no valves restricting flow.
It's the job of the mixer door to adjust heat in the cabin. There are some vehicles that
have heater water valves, but I haven't worked on them.
And their is no "extra" heat.
Engine designers can't eliminate waste heat until they design one that's 100% efficient.

Trader don't know squat - period. I only see his crap when someone
else replies to him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

To the best of my knowlege Chrysler hasn't used one since the late
seventies.Mabee as early as 1972.
I have not had one on any of my fords since 1995. I think there was
one on my1989 Aerostar - cannot remember that far ago. Just do a
search trying to buy one for any late model car - particularly with AC
(what car doesn't today) and see if you can find a part number ----- I
tried Chrysler and only found the one for a 1971 (chtysler 300 and
about 15 other models, all using the same part)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 22:58:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/8/2017 10:40 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

Looks like they have a valve
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/196...ter_valve.html

Just about anything in the sixties had a valve. Many early to mid
'70s, and a small proportion of cars in the '80s (my 1980 Corrola
wagon and 1981 Tercel did), but extremely few "current" vehicles (cars
less than 15 yeats old are "current") have heater valves. I'd hazard a
guess less than 25% of 20 year old cars have heater control valves.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 23:39:41 -0400, micky
wrote:

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 08 Jul 2017 09:19:02 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 02:51:22 -0400, micky
wrote:

In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 07 Jul 2017 23:42:55 -0500, Paul in Houston
TX wrote:

micky wrote:
I'm only acquainted with car inspection in Pa.and Md. but on TV I saw a
woman who bougght a used car, found out that the heater core was
leaking, and didn't take it for inspection until after she fixed the
heater.

Is there any state where that would cause a car to fail inspection?

Not enough information.
However, ANY leaks that were noticeable in any vehicle system would fail
the Texas inspection.

Okay, that answers my question, there is at least one state.

Texas does not take the car apart for inspections
like in other states though. Nothing is removed.

She was in Massachusetts, which allows someone to get his money back if
he takes it for inspectation within 7 days of purchase, it fails, and he
tells the seller about this in 14 days. Even on an asis sale. But she
never took if for inspection.

My mother lived in Pa. and for years had a heater core that leaked. I
tried drilling a hole in the floor board and threading a wick through
it, under the carpet, but it didn't work. Maybe antifreeze and water
doesn't wick well, and anyway, the wick blew away after being in the
wind for 1000 miles. Pa. had inspection twice a year thne and I'm sure
this wouldn't have caused a failure, though Pa. does more than inspect
for safety. If you've go

Maryland doesn't inspect the cooling system at all:
http://coopersautoservicemd.com/mary...ion-checklist/

Interesting they do not even require the defroster to work?????

That would certainly be a good idea, but the Coopers Auto page doesn't
list it. He lists wipers but not ws washers. (Nope, not listed. See
link at bottom.)

Maybe it's not complete. I had tried to find the State of Maryland rules
directly, but only found a 150 page pdf file. They should make it
easier to find so people can do their own inspection beforee they take
it, since they only get 30 days to finish once they start.

The last car the guy said I couldn't pass because of some oil dripping
on the exhaust pipe. I don't see that on the list either. He passed me
for an extra 10 or 20 dollars.

The inspection is only once, each time a car is sold used. Although if
the police notice something from the list, they can make you fix it.

This is all I could find on a state webpage
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv.../58000-01T.htm :

Appendix A:

Vehicle Parts or Systems to be Inspected for passenger cars

Steering system
• Wheel alignment
• Suspension
• Brake system
• Wheels / tires
• Fuel system
• Exhaust system
• Bumpers
• Fenders
• Lights
• Electrical system
• Mirrors
• Glazing (windows)
• Wipers
• Hood / catches
• Door handle latches
• Floor / trunk pans
• Speedometer / odometer
• Driver seat
• Safety belts
• Motor mounts
• Gear shift indicator
• Universal and CV (constant velocity) joints
• Emissions equipment

Ah, here is the image of an actual Report checklist from 2010:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...checklist.html

Maybe the standards were adopted before cars had defrosters.

As of 2006, this was the requirement in Ontario. It got stiffer in
2016 - - -

The following items shall be inspected, and the motor vehicle shall be
denied an SSC if:

?In the body and interior:

a) any bumper, fender or mudguard has been removed or is mounted
insecurely;
b) any body part has protruding sharp edges that could be hazardous to
pedestrians or passengers;
c) any hood latch or passenger door does not operate as intended;
d) the driver's sun visor does not operate properly;
e) any occupant seat is insecure or fails to maintain its adjustment;
f) the inside and/or outside rearview mirrors are loose, cracked or
have any significant reductions of the reflective surface, or the
inside mirror (where required) is missing;
g) where required, the seat belt assemblies are missing, insecure,
damaged, inoperative or do not function as intended;
h) the frame or any structural unitized member is broken or cracked;
has any loose or missing connecting fasteners; or is perforated with
rust that could downgrade the safety of the vehicle; or
i) The underbody, including the trunk floor pan, is perforated by rust
or damaged or has any opening that may allow entry of exhaust gas.

Glazing
a) any glass, where required, is other than safety glass;
b) any glazing material has exposed sharp edges, a missing part or is
insecure;
c) any safety glass in the windshield, or to the left or right of the
driver, has been replaced with any vision-obstructing material,
or is clouded or fogged so as to affect the driver's vision;
d) the windshield has any star, crack or stone chip in the area swept
by the driver's wiper blade that could affect the driver's
vision; or
e) the driver's window does not open freely.
Lighting and Electrical
a) any prescribed lamp fails to operate or interferes with any other
circuit;
b) any turn signal indicator lamp fails to operate properly;
c) any lamp or reflector is loose or missing in whole or in part, or
is discoloured;
d) any headlamp is covered with a coloured lacquer or is fitted with
any device affecting brightness (e.g. headlamp shields);
e) any headlamp shutter or retracting headlamp fails to operate
properly or is not secured in the fully-open position;
f) any headlamp is aligned incorrectly;
g) the headlamp dimmer switch or high-beam indicating light fails to
operate as intended;
h) the horn fails to operate or is insecure on its mount;
i) the windshield wiper/washer assemblies and the heating and
defrosting systems do not function as originally intended;
j) where originally fitted, the neutral safety switch has been removed
or allows the starter motor to operate in any other than the
neutral and park positions; or
k) the speedometer is not in good working order.

"Prescribed Lights" is the phrase used to cover the lighting
requirements of vehicles for the purposes of the HTA, and applies to
all vehicles, including passenger cars, light and heavy trucks and
trailers. "Prescribed Lights" vary with vehicle dimensions and include
the lights listed below:

Headlamps: no more than four, and shall be white or amber in colour;

Turn signals: shall be self illuminating;

Stop lights: shall be red or yellow in colour;

Tail Lights: shall be red in colour;

Licence plate: rear plate must be illuminated by a white light;

Reflectors: shall be red in colour, located at the rear and as close
as practical to the outside of the vehicle body (most tail light
lenses incorporate a reflective lens in their construction); and

Side markers: one on each side near the front, green or amber in
colour, and one on each side near the rear, red in colour.

NOTE: Although side marker lights are not required for certification
of a motor vehicle with a length of 6.1 metres (20 feet) or less, the
Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) requires all vehicles
manufactured on or after January 1, 1971, to be equipped with side
marker lights.

Engine and Controls
a) with the engine running, there is any visible leakage in the fuel
system (the fuel tank does not have to be filled before inspection for
leaks);
b) any attachment or component of the fuel system is insecure or
missing, including a proper fuel filler cap;
c) the accelerator linkage fails to return the engine speed to idle
when the pedal is released; or,
d) the power steering belt is defective, incorrectly adjusted or
missing.
Exhaust System and Manifolds
a) any exhaust component is missing or mounted insecurely;
b) any exhaust leakage is present, other than from the manufacturer's
drain holes;
c) any exhaust component is within the occupant compartment, or is so
located or unguarded that any occupant may be burned
by entering or leaving the vehicle; or
d) the exhaust system has been shortened or modified from original, so
as to fail to direct the exhaust beyond the underbody of
the occupant compartment or luggage compartment.
NOTE: Although emission control devices are not required to be
inspected for the purpose of issuing an 550, the motor vehicle will be
in violation of the Environmental Protection Act if any component of
the emission control system is inoperative, defective, has been
removed, or fails to function as intended.

Trailer Hitch
a) any trailer hitch or attachment is damaged, excessively worn or
insecure as to affect its proper operation; or,
b) any trailer hitch lock assembly fails to operate as intended.
Steering and Suspension
a) any visible leakage of fluid is present in the power steering
system or the reservoir fluid level is too low;
b) the steering column, box or couplings are excessively worn or loose
on their mountings, or parts are missing or loose;
c) any steering linkage joint is worn or loose;
d) any steering system, or suspension locking device or clamp is
missing, loose or worn so as to affect its proper operation;
e) the front wheels are visibly out of alignment;
f) the front wheels fail to turn from full right to full left freely;
g) free movement of the steering wheel exceeds manufacturer's limits;
h) the power steering system does not operate as intended;
i) any component, or attachment of the suspension system, or its
supports, is excessively worn, corroded, broken, bent,
cracked, loose, disconnected or missing;
j) the front or rear axles are tracking improperly so as to affect
handling the vehicle;
k) any ball joint is worn beyond manufacturer's limits; or
I) any wheel or axle bearing is excessively worn, loose or damaged.

Wheels and Tires
NOTE: Only those wheels/tires installed on axles are inspected.
a) any wheel-retaining device is worn, defective, loose or missing;
b) any wheel is cracked, excessively bent or has been repaired by
welding;
c) any wheel spoke is loose, broken or missing;
d) tire shows any exposed cord;
e) any abnormal bump, bulge or knot is present;
f) any tire makes contact with any vehicle component;
g) any tire bears the markings "not for highway use" or "farm use
only";
h) any tire is worn beyond the minimum allowed tread depth; e.g.
built-in wear bar indicators are showing on two adjacent major tread
grooves at three equal spacings around the circumference of the tire;
i) any tire is of a smaller size than vehicle manufacturer's specified
minimum size;
j) any mixture of 50 to 60 series are installed on the front axle and
any other series on the rear;
k) any tire differs in construction type from any other tire on the
same axle; or,
I) except on a vehicle fitted with dual rear tires, any mixture of
radial tires are on the front axle and belted-bias or bias ply tires
are installed on the rear axle.

Brakes
a) any fluid or vacuum leakage is present in the braking system;
b) the brake fluid in the brake master cylinder is below the
manufacturer's recommended minimum level;
c) any brake tubing has heavy corrosion scaling;
d) any vacuum or hydraulic hose or tube is damaged, insecure, missing
or chafes against any part of the vehicle;
e) with the foot brake applied, the brake pedal moves toward the
floor;
f) the brakes, including the parking brake, are not adjusted properly;
g) any brake, including the parking brake, fails to release
immediately when the pedal or lever is released;
h) any mechanical, vacuum or hydraulic component is missing, cracked,
loose, badly worn, seized or damaged so as to affect
its operation;
i) any hydraulic component is leaking fluid;
j) with the motor running and the brake pedal applied, the brake
failure warning light comes on;
k) with the vacuum depleted from the power brake (by depressing the
brake pedal three or four times), the motor shut off and
the brake pedal depressed, the pedal fails to move momentarily towards
the floor when the motor is started;
I) any brake drum or rotor is worn beyond the manufacturer's limits,
or the friction surfaces
are damaged mechanically other than from normal wear;
m) any brake rotor cooling fin is cracked or broken;
n) any bonded brake lining is thinner than 1.5 millimeters (1/16 inch)
at its thinnest point;
o) any riveted brake lining is thinner than 0.8 millimeters (1/32
inch) at its thinnest point;
p) any brake lining is broken or loose on its shoe or pad;
q) any brake lining is contaminated;
r) any wheel hub seal, axle seal or oil retainer is missing or
leaking;
s) the parking brake does not hold properly and release fully;
t) where originally fitted, the dual-circuit brake warning lamp fails
to operate as intended; or,
u) on the road test, the braking system does not brake evenly or stop
the vehicle within the required distance.
Some of the standards contained in this PAGE rely on the mechanical
experience and sound judgment of the inspection mechanic, based on the
inspection standards as set down in the Highway Traffic Act.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This has really drifted off topic Even if there was a valve, it only
stops one direction of flow and since the system is pressurized a leak
in the heater core would still drip, coming in from the other side.
Yes I have had a leaking heater core and the only way to stop from
steaming up the car is to pipe around the heater core as mentioned in
a previous post. I got rid of my 75 Monza for exactly that reason.
Replacing it would have involved removing the whole dash according to
the Chevy dealer. It was OK all summer but I was not going into a DC
winter without a heater.

That's what "stop leak" was invented for. I've stopped up minor
leaks in heater cores SCORES of times with anything from a stop-leak
cube to Knights Sealer to BarsLeaks. I know guys who have done it with
a teaspoon full of finley ground black pepper (and no, it does NOT
make the car sneeze - - - )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's obvious he's talking about the safety check tests
he even said that when they got rid of the testing there
was no noticeable effect on the accident rate. Exactly
the same thing happened here in NJ and there is no
statistically significant differences in accident rates
between states that still have safety tests and those
that don't. It's very rare that there is an accident and the cause is faulty equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 6:43:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Here's a link to a heater valve for BMWs:

BMW Heater Control Valve (X5 X6) - Genuine BMW 64116910544

FOR BMW E53 E70 F15 X5 00-15 E71 F16 X6

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ve-64116910544

And that fits many current models, not 20 year olds.

Here's one for current a very popular high volume
car, the Honda Accord, 2014 model:

HONDA OEM 2014 Accord-Heater Control Valve 79715T3VA01

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-OEM-20...hY62Pl&vxp=mtr

Why are we finding what you claim is not supposed
to be there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 3:12:13 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...
snip
I was trying to look up the specific part at part
stores, but didn't get past that there is no 1995 Pontiac GT. Was that a Firebird Transam GT or
something? I think you have to be careful with just general google searches because a lot of time
they come back with hits for aftermarket things
you could add, ie generic extra widgets, that are
not part of the car.

From some other googling, I found at least one
place that said that some cars do have the system
these guys are talking about, where they just
modulate the air flow and don't control the coolant
flow. That kind of design doesn't make any sense
to me for the reasons cited. But I still doubt
Clare's position that the vast majority of cars
are built that way now. Also, IDK what exactly
"now" means. If this big shift has occurerd, I
think it has to be only in much more recent years,
not back in 1995. The designs I've seen, the air
flowed through both the heating and cooling cores
and the coolant through both cores mas modulated
by valves according to need for heat or cooling.

Your expertise in automotive is severely lacking, so I'd *suggest* you
stick to topics that you know a little better.

--
RonNNN

ROFL!

Here's a link to a heater valve for BMWs:

BMW Heater Control Valve (X5 X6) - Genuine BMW 64116910544

FOR BMW E53 E70 F15 X5 00-15 E71 F16 X6

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ve-64116910544

And that fits many current models, not 20 year olds.

Here's one for a very popular high volume car,the Honda Accord,
2014 model:

HONDA OEM 2014 Accord-Heater Control Valve 79715T3VA01

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-OEM-20...hY62Pl&vxp=mtr

And Ed has posted many links too that show heater valves for autos. Those two above are particularly definitive to the issue at hand
because one fits most late model BMWs built in the past 5 years
or so, the other fits the Honda Accord. I looked for a 2014 model
specifically. So there you have it, lots of late model cars have
them. Lots of cars, most cars, had them 20 years ago too.

It's you who offers up nothing burgers. You said
your 1995 Pontiac GT didn't have one. I went to the online parts
stores, there is no 1995 Pontiac GT. It may be a Firebird variant
or something, but nothing comes up as a GT, so I couldn't check
it out any further. Like I said, you just need to look harder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 09:29:15 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

[...]

From some other googling, I found at least one
place that said that some cars do have the system
these guys are talking about, where they just
modulate the air flow and don't control the coolant
flow. That kind of design doesn't make any sense
to me for the reasons cited. But I still doubt
Clare's position that the vast majority of cars
are built that way now. Also, IDK what exactly
"now" means. If this big shift has occurerd, I
think it has to be only in much more recent years,
not back in 1995. The designs I've seen, the air
flowed through both the heating and cooling cores
and the coolant through both cores mas modulated
by valves according to need for heat or cooling.

I should be more careful with you guys. Although I mentioned Grand Am above,
I foolishly later said 1995 Pontiac GT. And you actually looked for a Pontiac GT.
Well, you need to use the model when looking for parts. Like 2003 Chevy Impala.
A very common car, which also doesn't have a heater control valve.
Anyway, since it appears you guys don't want to learn anything that's not in your
experience, I'll just bow out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Better tell Chrysler, Pilgrim!

Dodge CHRYSLER OEM 99-03 Ram 3500 Van-Heater Control Valve 55055588

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/.../55055588.html

Or for current models from BMW and Honda:

Here's a link to a heater valve for BMWs:

BMW Heater Control Valve (X5 X6) - Genuine BMW 64116910544

FOR BMW E53 E70 F15 X5 00-15 E71 F16 X6

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ve-64116910544

And that fits many current models, not 20 year olds.

Here's one for a very popular high volume car,the Honda Accord,
2014 model:

HONDA OEM 2014 Accord-Heater Control Valve 79715T3VA01

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-OEM-20...hY62Pl&vxp=mtr

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 3:12:13 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...
snip
I was trying to look up the specific part at part
stores, but didn't get past that there is no 1995 Pontiac GT. Was that a Firebird Transam GT or
something? I think you have to be careful with just general google searches because a lot of time
they come back with hits for aftermarket things
you could add, ie generic extra widgets, that are
not part of the car.

From some other googling, I found at least one
[...]

I offered up *nothing* other than to say a heater core will still leak
whether there is flow or not. I've worked on cars/trucks that had heater
control valves and cars/trucks that didn't have heater control valves. I
think you are confusing who said what/when/and where.

Again, I *suggest* you stick to topics you know.

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 9:33:42 PM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

From some other googling, I found at least one
place that said that some cars do have the system
these guys are talking about, where they just
modulate the air flow and don't control the coolant
flow. That kind of design doesn't make any sense
to me for the reasons cited. But I still doubt
Clare's position that the vast majority of cars
are built that way now. Also, IDK what exactly
"now" means. If this big shift has occurerd, I
think it has to be only in much more recent years,
not back in 1995. The designs I've seen, the air
flowed through both the heating and cooling cores
and the coolant through both cores mas modulated
by valves according to need for heat or cooling.

I should be more careful with you guys. Although I mentioned Grand Am above,
I foolishly later said 1995 Pontiac GT. And you actually looked for a Pontiac GT.

Well, WTF do you expects? We can't de-cypher your word salad.

Well, you need to use the model when looking for parts. Like 2003 Chevy Impala.

No **** sherlock. That's what I told you, that when I went to
look for a part, there was no 1995 Pontiac GT. Geez!

And note that you still can't clear up WTF car you're talking
about. "I earlier said Grand AM" "Then I said Pontiac 1995 GT"
And yet you still don't spell out the specific model clearly.

A very common car, which also doesn't have a heater control valve.
Anyway, since it appears you guys don't want to learn anything that's not in your
experience, I'll just bow out.

We don't want to learn anything? I posted link after link, so
did Ed of heater control valves for all kinds of cars. Again,
the fact that most BMWs, probably all current models have heater control
valves and that the Honda Accord, a very popular, typical car
has them in current models was just shown to you, yet you
don't even acknowledge that and address nits instead.

For the record, now that you provided accurate info, I went
and looked and I agree, I don't see a heater valve for a
1995 Pontiac Grand Am. But it hardly proves the point that
Clare claimed, that most modern cars don't have them,
or your point that they were disappearing decades ago,
because while you've provided one car, I've provided a whole lot
of current cars that still have them. And I agreed several
posts ago that it looks like some cars don't use them.
It still makes no sense to me, compared to the valve design
for the reasons stated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

From some other googling, I found at least one
[...]

Ditch the shovel before it's too late. Bite the bullet and accept the
fact that you don't know jack about automotive climate control systems.

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:11:52 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 3:12:13 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...
snip
I was trying to look up the specific part at part
stores, but didn't get past that there is no 1995 Pontiac GT. Was that a Firebird Transam GT or
something? I think you have to be careful with just general google searches because a lot of time
they come back with hits for aftermarket things
you could add, ie generic extra widgets, that are
not part of the car.

From some other googling, I found at least one
[...]

Then why are youjumping on me with your nasty condescending
reply and not suggesting that to Clare?
He's the one that said modern cars pretty much don't have heater
valves anymore.
I posted links that show most, maybe all late model BMWs have
them. Current Honda Accords, how many millions of those are
there, have them. Ed also posted links showing many cars
have them. And you want to claim that I'm the one that
doesn't know what they are talking about? Unbelievable!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:37:55 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

From some other googling, I found at least one
[...]

Clearly I and Ed have provided the links that show many modern cars have heater control valves, that they are very common.
That is directly opposite to what Clare claimed. How is that
shoveling? And now you want to claim that IDK about auto
climate control systems? I know how they work and I know
that modern cars still have them. I even pointed out that I don't
see why an auto manufacturer would want an always hot heater
core inside the car, to fight with the AC system. Even if
there is no air movement through it, it's still a hot box
at 210F all the time. And those half-assed flaps never achieve
anything close to 100% air closure. I didn't see any of you
alleged HVAC experts discussing that or explaining why a
design that relies on an acutator to block off hot air from
a constant hot box, is a better design than a simple valve
to regulate the hot water. Why would you want screw around
with air flow rate when it's air temp that you want to regulate?

BTW, since your such an auto genius, what's one of the steps
that's included in most, probably every service manual I've
ever read, when refilling the car cooling system after it's
been drained. They tell you to set the heat to high. Maybe
Clare can explain why that is, if there is typically no valve
in the heater flow circuit? Or you other geniuses who pretent
they have been designed out? Where are your links? Crickets...

This is so typical of those of you losing arguments. Provide
no links, no facts and then start the ad hominem attacks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:11:52 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 3:12:13 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...
snip
I was trying to look up the specific part at part
stores, but didn't get past that there is no 1995 Pontiac GT. Was that a Firebird Transam GT or
something? I think you have to be careful with just general google searches because a lot of time
they come back with hits for aftermarket things
you could add, ie generic extra widgets, that are
not part of the car.

From some other googling, I found at least one
[...]

I won't even try to claim more or less cars use heater control valves
these days, it's irrelevant to whether a heater core will leak of not
whether it uses one or not. From what I've read, Clare was/is in that
line of work, and I would put more faith in what he says along automotive
lines than I would yours. As I've said, it was my lifelong business until
I retired a few years ago.

You guys want to *shift* the conversation to fit your needs, but can't
stand the facts as they apply to the subject at hand.

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

From some other googling, I found at least one
[...]

Consider dual climate control systems. Do you think there are two heater
cores and two evaporators in those cars? (I'm not talking long vans and
such that have front and rear air and heat) No, the air flow is
controlled by doors directing airflow, not hot water control of
refrigerant control. Just because you are stuck in the past doesn't help
you.

You remind me of all the idiots that think reading books equate to
knowledge. You really should take the words of those with hands on
knowledge above what you *think* you know.

And as far as refilling the cooling system, some have two vents that need
to be opened to prevent vapor locking when refilling.

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:59:59 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:11:52 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 3:12:13 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...
snip
I was trying to look up the specific part at part
stores, but didn't get past that there is no 1995 Pontiac GT. Was that a Firebird Transam GT or
something? I think you have to be careful with just general google searches because a lot of time
they come back with hits for aftermarket things
you could add, ie generic extra widgets, that are
not part of the car.

From some other googling, I found at least one
[...]

Then why are you here, bitching at me? That was the issue
being debated. Clare made the claim that most cars no longer
use them, between him and Vic, they were making the case that
it's old, went out years ago.

whether it uses one or not. From what I've read, Clare was/is in that
line of work, and I would put more faith in what he says along automotive
lines than I would yours.

Clare has made an ass of himself here many times over the years.
And he remains ignorant, because anyone that shows him the facts,
he puts them in his kill file.

You can believe whatever you please. I provided you with links
that show most, maybe all, modern BMWs use heater valves and
that the Honda Accord, a very popular car uses them today too.
What data other than his flapping gums has he given you?

As I've said, it was my lifelong business until
I retired a few years ago.

And you don't know yourself how many cars use them?
WTF?

You guys want to *shift* the conversation to fit your needs, but can't
stand the facts as they apply to the subject at hand.

--
RonNNN

You're so full of ****. Clare made the claim. I challenged it
and I backed it up with facts, links, that show BMW uses
heater valves, Honda too. Ed provided data too. Who else does
or doesn't IDK, but it's enough to show that Clare is wrong,
that they are not a relic. And I didn't shift the discussion.
BTW, where are your links, genius?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 14:12:14 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...
snip
I was trying to look up the specific part at part
stores, but didn't get past that there is no 1995 Pontiac GT. Was that a Firebird Transam GT or
something? I think you have to be careful with just general google searches because a lot of time
they come back with hits for aftermarket things
you could add, ie generic extra widgets, that are
not part of the car.

From some other googling, I found at least one
place that said that some cars do have the system
these guys are talking about, where they just
modulate the air flow and don't control the coolant
flow. That kind of design doesn't make any sense
to me for the reasons cited. But I still doubt
Clare's position that the vast majority of cars
are built that way now. Also, IDK what exactly
"now" means. If this big shift has occurerd, I
think it has to be only in much more recent years,
not back in 1995. The designs I've seen, the air
flowed through both the heating and cooling cores
and the coolant through both cores mas modulated
by valves according to need for heat or cooling.

Your expertise in automotive is severely lacking, so I'd *suggest* you
stick to topics that you know a little better.

Trader's knowlege of anything deeper than his navel is sadly lacking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:59:59 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:11:52 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 3:12:13 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...
snip
I was trying to look up the specific part at part
stores, but didn't get past that there is no 1995 Pontiac GT. Was that a Firebird Transam GT or
something? I think you have to be careful with just general google searches because a lot of time
they come back with hits for aftermarket things
you could add, ie generic extra widgets, that are
not part of the car.

From some other googling, I found at least one
[...]

So... you've shone that a few cars still use heater control valves. Have
I ever said different? How does that have anything to do with whether a
heater core will leak (more or less according to you)? Sheesh! You are
one thick headed person. Go all the way back up there^ to see my one word
post saying "wrong" about heater cores not leaking if the flow was
stopped. Drift off the subject if it makes you feel better, but know it
makes you look stupid at the same time.

--
RonNNN

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 14:12:14 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...
snip
I was trying to look up the specific part at part
stores, but didn't get past that there is no 1995 Pontiac GT. Was that a Firebird Transam GT or
something? I think you have to be careful with just general google searches because a lot of time
they come back with hits for aftermarket things
you could add, ie generic extra widgets, that are
not part of the car.

From some other googling, I found at least one
place that said that some cars do have the system
these guys are talking about, where they just
modulate the air flow and don't control the coolant
flow. That kind of design doesn't make any sense
to me for the reasons cited. But I still doubt
Clare's position that the vast majority of cars
are built that way now. Also, IDK what exactly
"now" means. If this big shift has occurerd, I
think it has to be only in much more recent years,
not back in 1995. The designs I've seen, the air
flowed through both the heating and cooling cores
and the coolant through both cores mas modulated
by valves according to need for heat or cooling.

Your expertise in automotive is severely lacking, so I'd *suggest* you
stick to topics that you know a little better.

Trader's knowlege of anything deeper than his navel is sadly lacking.

I'm trying to stay out of automotive topics since I retired, but
sometimes I just can't help but chime in, especially on something as
stupid as this thread has become. Common sense can not be found in books.

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 11:47:32 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:59:59 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:11:52 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 3:12:13 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...
snip
I was trying to look up the specific part at part
stores, but didn't get past that there is no 1995 Pontiac GT. Was that a Firebird Transam GT or
something? I think you have to be careful with just general google searches because a lot of time
they come back with hits for aftermarket things
you could add, ie generic extra widgets, that are
not part of the car.

From some other googling, I found at least one
[...]

No **** head, I showed you that most, probably all BMW models
do and the Honda Accord, just one very popular model. That's
not a few cars, that's a lot of cars. And again, why the
attack on me for showing the data? I should just let Clare's
statement go unchallenged? Is he a god to you or something? He's made an ass of himself a hundred times here and unlike
me, he refuses to correct a mistake. I correct mine.

How does that have anything to do with whether a
heater core will leak (more or less according to you)? Sheesh!

Did you just fall off the turnip truck? Threads evolve and
this one didn't evolve all that much. Discussing heater
valves in a thread about leaking heater cores, you find that
unusual? Really? That's my bad too? Because Clare made the
claim and I'm discussing it?

You are
one thick headed person.

Yeah, right. When I first incorrectly said that with the heater
valve closed you won't get a leak from a bad heater core, how
long did it take me to correct that? Very next post, I corrected
it. But I'm the thick headed one? Go figure. That moron Clare,
he NEVER corrects anything. You sound about the same. Ed and
I presented the data, links, showing heater valve parts for
many cars today.

Go all the way back up there^ to see my one word
post saying "wrong" about heater cores not leaking if the flow was
stopped. Drift off the subject if it makes you feel better, but know it
makes you look stupid at the same time.

Go **** yourself already. I acknowledged that in the very
That has nothing to do with what followed, Clare
made another claim and we were then discussing that. Who
appointed you to decide what's appropriate to discuss and
what's not? And a heater valve is so far removed? You're
amazing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Not if it was an African swallow"
This thread has moved beyond silly.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In rec.autos.tech, on Sun, 9 Jul 2017 09:09:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 7/8/2017 11:39 PM, micky wrote:

Interesting they do not even require the defroster to work?????

That would certainly be a good idea, but the Coopers Auto page doesn't
list it. He lists wipers but not ws washers. (Nope, not listed. See
link at bottom.)

Ah, here is the image of an actual Report checklist from 2010:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...checklist.html

Maybe the standards were adopted before cars had defrosters.

When I lived in PA had many cars inspected. No one ever checked the
defroster or the washers. One never checked brakes either.

I wish I could have found an inspector like that. Would have made my
life easier. One year when I was living in NYC more than Pa. I had my
car inspected in NYS, had Pensyslvania plates, and paid car insurance at
a NY address (because I wasn't trying to cheat the insurance company.)
The NY inspection made no sense, but I never got a ticket.

I has a '64 Karmen Ghia convertible that I paid $15 for. The heat ducts
were rusted out so no heat, no defrost. I used to carry a squeegee and
an ice scraper. Many things on that car should never pass inspection,
but I always had a sticker on it.

LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

[...]

On a Ghia convertible even WITH good tubes you could never get the
cabin WARM. A gas heater was a good option in cold country.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 7/8/2017 6:56 AM, trader_4 wrote:

NJ, MV inspection doesn't care about leaks, it's emissions compliance only.

Exception for fuel leaks? If oil drips or radiator leaks mattered,
none of my cars in the 60's would have passed.

I don't see how any state inspection would spot a leaking heater core,
unless it's pouring out. In warm weather, the coolant flow is off,
there would be no leaking. The state was MA, why don't you google for
what they check at inspection?

MA does not care if your heater core leaks or if you **** on the seat.

If the car uses blend doors (most likely these days) then coolant would flow
all the time.

If the heater core fogs the window it MIGHT fail inspection. It could be an
expensive fix...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:57:56 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 7/8/2017 6:56 AM, trader_4 wrote:

NJ, MV inspection doesn't care about leaks, it's emissions compliance only.

Exception for fuel leaks? If oil drips or radiator leaks mattered,
none of my cars in the 60's would have passed.

I don't see how any state inspection would spot a leaking heater core,
unless it's pouring out. In warm weather, the coolant flow is off,
there would be no leaking. The state was MA, why don't you google for
what they check at inspection?

MA does not care if your heater core leaks or if you **** on the seat.

If the car uses blend doors (most likely these days) then coolant would flow
all the time.

If the heater core fogs the window it MIGHT fail inspection. It could be an
expensive fix...

a stop-leak cube is usually a CHEAP fix - it MIGHT not be permanent
but it will get you through inspection.