Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default heater inspection

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 6:43:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 22:58:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/8/2017 10:40 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 21:46:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/8/2017 8:58 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

No it's not misinformation. Anybody who's ever replaced a heater core on GM vehicles that
I know of, know that the core has an inlet and outlet and no valves restricting flow.
It's the job of the mixer door to adjust heat in the cabin. There are some vehicles that
have heater water valves, but I haven't worked on them.
And their is no "extra" heat.
Engine designers can't eliminate waste heat until they design one that's 100% efficient.

It has been probably 40 years since I played with heater cores, but I do
know there was a valve in the line to stop the flow. Maybe thing have
changed?

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...hard-zeppetini

Google heater core valve and then click on images.

This is GM specific
https://www.google.com/search?q=heat...w=1366&bih=638

Like I said, "There are some vehicles that have heater water valves, but I haven't worked
on them." I've owned only Chevy cars and one van, and a Grand Am since about 1975.
NONE of them had a heater valve. Nor did my 1966 F100 Ford PU, or 1973 Dart.
Pretty sure you'll find that cars without heater water valves are as common as Chevys.

Looks like they have a valve
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/196...ter_valve.html

Just about anything in the sixties had a valve. Many early to mid
'70s, and a small proportion of cars in the '80s (my 1980 Corrola
wagon and 1981 Tercel did), but extremely few "current" vehicles (cars
less than 15 yeats old are "current") have heater valves. I'd hazard a
guess less than 25% of 20 year old cars have heater control valves.

Here's a link to a heater valve for BMWs:

BMW Heater Control Valve (X5 X6) - Genuine BMW 64116910544

FOR BMW E53 E70 F15 X5 00-15 E71 F16 X6

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ve-64116910544

And that fits many current models, not 20 year olds.

Here's one for current a very popular high volume
car, the Honda Accord, 2014 model:

HONDA OEM 2014 Accord-Heater Control Valve 79715T3VA01

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-OEM-20...hY62Pl&vxp=mtr

Why are we finding what you claim is not supposed
to be there?