Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas water heater and home inspection

I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second floor,
is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

Any advice is welcome. I am supposed to close on Wednesday of next week
(June 28).

Rebecca

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second floor,
is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

Any advice is welcome. I am supposed to close on Wednesday of next week
(June 28).

Rebecca

How old is the water heater and where is it located, that would help a bit
more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MaryL

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second floor,
is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

Any advice is welcome. I am supposed to close on Wednesday of next week
(June 28).

Rebecca

I don't have any knowledge of construction, but I can tell you about my
experience as a consumer when I bought my house. I live in Texas, and codes
in my town also require gas hot water heaters to be elevated a minimum of 18
inches. In my case, the hot water heater is in a storage room connected to
the garage. I hired a house inspecter before buying the house, and this was
one of the defects he noted. I made the correction, not the seller. On the
other hand, I would not let that interfere with buying a home because the
cost was *minimal.* The HWH is placed on concrete blocks set upright. They
are exactly 18 inches.

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa

Eigenvector wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second floor,
is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

Any advice is welcome. I am supposed to close on Wednesday of next week
(June 28).

Rebecca

How old is the water heater and where is it located, that would help a bit
more.

Um, just using reading comprehension, I'd say its about 8 years old and
on the second floor of the townhouse.

The inspector should have known if that was a "grandfathered" condition
and noted it. Only your city building department can answer that
question now. It may be that there was a variance issued for the builder
or your assumption is correct. Either way, talk to the local department.
If its a prior condition, the buyer may give you a pass, or they may
not; its really going to be the buyer's call.

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second floor,
is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

Any advice is welcome. I am supposed to close on Wednesday of next week
(June 28).

Rebecca

Others will correct me if I am wrong.

The 18" off the floor requirement is for gas water heaters located in
garages. I have never heard of it applying to water heaters inside the
home.

IMO the inspector was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

If this is the initial heater and code was met when built you should not be
required to update it at this time either way.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
trainfan1

Eigenvector wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second floor,
is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

Any advice is welcome. I am supposed to close on Wednesday of next week
(June 28).

Rebecca

How old is the water heater and where is it located, that would help a bit
more.

Carnac the Magnificent says it's eight years old, in an upstairs utility
closet of a townhouse in Gwinnett County, GA.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair
bubbi

I had to put my 2 cents in. Are you sure it isn't the overflow pipe (or
whatever the proper name is) that has to be 18 inches off the floor?

I just throw the ideas out, take them if you can use them

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second floor,
is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

Any advice is welcome. I am supposed to close on Wednesday of next week
(June 28).

Rebecca

What's your goal?

Selling the house?

Or playing "You're not the 'boss' of me! You can't make me! Nyanh, nyanh,
nyanh, nyanh!"

Tell the buyer to buzz off, and go with the next lower biddng buyer, the one
who gave you the second highest offer.

Don't have another offer?

Don't want to relist and go through the sales process again?

Then maybe you get the heater raised. Its a very easy fix.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second floor,
is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

You are probably correct, but I don't know the code for your area. Why not
ask the building inspector? Once you determine the law, you can decide on a
remedy. You can show it does not have to be changed, you can pay to have it
changed, or you can take $200 off the selling price.

Being right in this case, may not be the best alternative. If the buyer is
insistent you risk losing the sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MaryL

"trainfan1" wrote in message

Carnac the Magnificent says it's eight years old, in an upstairs utility
closet of a townhouse in Gwinnett County, GA.

Rob

....and I assume you found this information in a hermetically sealed
mayonnaise jar located on your back porch! (Thanks, Johnny Carson)

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair

i would be more concerned its in a drain pan so when it leaks it doesnt
flood your home.

i do believe 18 inches is a GAS water heater issue in garages, this
home inspector needs to go back to school.

You might ask this at that national; home inspectors site, they are
friendly

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

the 18 inch rule only applies to a garage installation. Per the 2000 IRC.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second floor,
is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

Any advice is welcome. I am supposed to close on Wednesday of next week
(June 28).

Rebecca

Posted to alt.home.repair

Grandpa wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

A buyer can't require a seller to bring an existing house up to the
code requirements of what it would be if it were built today. If it
met code when installed, then generally that is all that is required.
A buyer can't force you to upgrade a house to every standard that
exists today. For example, many homes are sold every day that don't
have the electric service capacity or insulation that would be required
if they were built today. Just because a home inspector says the
house doesn't have the insulation that would be required today or the
electic service capacity, doesn't mean the seller has to do upgrade it.

There are, however, some exceptions that are spelled out and applied to
all homes when they are sold. The requirement for smoke detectors,
for example. I'd call the code enforcement folks at town hall and ask
them what's required re watere heaters.

And one thing I'm curious about. What is the reasoning behind the 18"
off the floor requirement?

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
And one thing I'm curious about. What is the reasoning behind the 18"
off the floor requirement?

In a garage or basement it would keep it above some heavier than air gasses.
On the second floor, it makes no sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa

wrote:

Grandpa wrote:
[...]
[...]

Actually, the buyer can ask for anything they want, and if it gets into
the purchase contract, then they can require it. That could include
updating to code, if in the buyer's mind the item in question was never
to code. Its now a question of wanting to close or not. The "code
enforcement folks" as you say can either clarify the original code
requirements or explain if a variance was allowed at time of
construction. If the 18" requirement only apples in garages, then the
seller can explain why they don't believe they have to "fix" it, but its
still the buyers call - it could be a deal killer. Not likely, but it could.

Nonetheless, it sounds like the "inspector" didn't know how to deal with
out of the ordinary situations, or he's using one of those "check off
books" that don't require a lot of "smarts." You know: "Gas Water Heater
18" above floor? __Yes __No" with no allowance for actual location.

IME, most water heaters are located in the garage, where it makes sense
for the gas burner to be 18" off the floor to keep it from igniting the
gas leaking from your parked car (as if anyone has room to actually park
a car in the garage), or your gas grill cylinder. The 18" requirement in
garages has been around for a lot longer than 8 years when that home was
built.

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Grandpa wrote:
wrote:

Grandpa wrote:

[...]

Did the OP give any indication that the contract had anything requiring
the house to be fully updated to current code, even if nothing in the
municipal code requires it? Did you ever see such a thing in a home
purchase contract? The seller would have to be a total moron to sign
such a thing. Homes are sold ever day that don't have insulation that
would be required today, or the electric service capacity required
today.

Its now a question of wanting to close or not. The "code
enforcement folks" as you say can either clarify the original code
requirements or explain if a variance was allowed at time of
construction.

A variance for a water heater that could just have a 18" stand placed
under it?

If the 18" requirement only apples in garages, then the
seller can explain why they don't believe they have to "fix" it, but its
still the buyers call - it could be a deal killer. Not likely, but it could

Nonetheless, it sounds like the "inspector" didn't know how to deal

with
out of the ordinary situations, or he's using one of those "check off
books" that don't require a lot of "smarts." You know: "Gas Water Heater
18" above floor? __Yes __No" with no allowance for actual location.

Out of the ordinary situations? It's not at all unusual for a water
heater to be in part of the living space.

IME, most water heaters are located in the garage, where it makes sense
for the gas burner to be 18" off the floor to keep it from igniting the
gas leaking from your parked car (as if anyone has room to actually park
a car in the garage), or your gas grill cylinder. The 18" requirement in
garages has been around for a lot longer than 8 years when that home was
built.

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Natural gas is lighter than air.....

Propane is heavier

In earthquake prone areas HT tanks must be firmly attached to the
building lest they fall over and hurt someone in a quake.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa

wrote:

Grandpa wrote:

wrote:

Grandpa wrote:

[...]

The OP stated that the inspector griped about the water heater; if the
purchase contract was pending the correction of the results of the
inspection, then yes itcould be considered in the contract. You
projected bringing everything up to code which is not what I'm trying to
talk about. Just what the apparently novice inspector has wrought. But
the fact is, if the buyer puts it in the contract and the seller accepts
it, then yes the whole house could have to be brought up to code. Smart
buyer, foolish seller syndrome.

Its now a question of wanting to close or not. The "code

enforcement folks" as you say can either clarify the original code
requirements or explain if a variance was allowed at time of
construction.

A variance for a water heater that could just have a 18" stand placed
under it?

Yes, this is apparently a townhome, lots of homes by one builder at a
time, save on production costs, get a variance; happens all the time.

If the 18" requirement only apples in garages, then the

seller can explain why they don't believe they have to "fix" it, but its
still the buyers call - it could be a deal killer. Not likely, but it could

Nonetheless, it sounds like the "inspector" didn't know how to deal

with

out of the ordinary situations, or he's using one of those "check off
books" that don't require a lot of "smarts." You know: "Gas Water Heater
18" above floor? __Yes __No" with no allowance for actual location.

Out of the ordinary situations? It's not at all unusual for a water
heater to be in part of the living space.

Apparently in this "inspector's" experience.

IME, most water heaters are located in the garage, where it makes sense
for the gas burner to be 18" off the floor to keep it from igniting the
gas leaking from your parked car (as if anyone has room to actually park
a car in the garage), or your gas grill cylinder. The 18" requirement in
garages has been around for a lot longer than 8 years when that home was
built.

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Grandpa wrote:

Did the OP give any indication that the contract had anything requiring
the house to be fully updated to current code, even if nothing in the
municipal code requires it? Did you ever see such a thing in a home
purchase contract? The seller would have to be a total moron to sign
such a thing. Homes are sold ever day that don't have insulation that
would be required today, or the electric service capacity required
today.

The OP stated that the inspector griped about the water heater; if the
purchase contract was pending the correction of the results of the
inspection, then yes itcould be considered in the contract. You
projected bringing everything up to code which is not what I'm trying to
talk about.

I projected bringing everything up to code? This is what you posted:

Actually, the buyer can ask for anything they want, and if it gets into
the purchase contract, then they can require it. That could include
updating to code, if in the buyer's mind the item in question was never
to code.

Just what the apparently novice inspector has wrought. But
the fact is, if the buyer puts it in the contract and the seller accepts
it, then yes the whole house could have to be brought up to code. Smart
buyer, foolish seller syndrome.

And there you go posting the same thing again, as if once isn't enough
and claiming you never said it. Have you ever seen a contract where
the seller was required to rebuild the house to the code requirements
of today, as opposed to when it was built?

A variance for a water heater that could just have a 18" stand

placed
under it?

Yes, this is apparently a townhome, lots of homes by one builder at a
time, save on production costs, get a variance; happens all the time.

BS First, most builiding inspectors aren't gonna waive code, just
cause someone doesn't like it. Second, it wouldn't be worth the time
and effort to avoid putting the freaking water heater on a simple
stand.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa

wrote:
Grandpa wrote:

[...]

Yep I wrote that, which is what I wrote in response to your mentioning
this first:
A buyer can't require a seller to bring an existing house up to the
code requirements of what it would be if it were built today. If it
met code when installed, then generally that is all that is required.
A buyer can't force you to upgrade a house to every standard that
exists today.

Okay, you win. I haven't seen the contract, I don't have a
clue about what the specific performance of the purchase contract is,
what the specific code requirements are for the area, or what (or if)
the contingency clause is regarding the inspector's findings, nor do I
even know if she had a lawyer look at her contract before signing
(evidently not since she's asking here); apparently if the OP wants to
close this Wednesday, she'll have to fix it or waive it or appeal that
it doesn't have to be fixed. That's the options on the specific case as
I see it. Her only point of authority for appealing is the local
building inspection agency.

The generic point is, whatever the buyer puts in the contract is part of
the performance of the contract if the seller accepts it. If the buyer
wants something (not necessarily the whole house) brought up to code
before closing, and the the seller accepts the contract, then the seller
has to "perform" or waive it (usually with monetary consideration).
While I've yet to see a "whole house to current code" clause, I have
seen specific items requested to be brought up to code as part of the
sale. Sometimes the seller accepts, sometimes they turn down the offer.

Just what the apparently novice inspector has wrought. But
the fact is, if the buyer puts it in the contract and the seller accepts
it, then yes the whole house could have to be brought up to code. Smart
buyer, foolish seller syndrome.

And there you go posting the same thing again, as if once isn't enough
and claiming you never said it. Have you ever seen a contract where
the seller was required to rebuild the house to the code requirements
of today, as opposed to when it was built?

Jeez, I thought I was agreeing with you that the buyer would have to be
an idiot to accept such a contract. What part of the "if" did you miss?
The buyer *can* ask for "anything," *if* the seller accepts the
contract, its up to the seller to "perform." I once bought a house and
had the seller pay all *my* closing costs and erect a new fence by
putting it in the contract which he accepted. So I know things like that
can be done. Yeah, he didn't like me much on closing day.

A variance for a water heater that could just have a 18" stand

placed

under it?

Yes, this is apparently a townhome, lots of homes by one builder at a
time, save on production costs, get a variance; happens all the time.

BS First, most builiding inspectors aren't gonna waive code, just
cause someone doesn't like it. Second, it wouldn't be worth the time
and effort to avoid putting the freaking water heater on a simple
stand.

Did I say the building inspector waived code? Its not that hard to get a
variance which the building inspector then signs off on. The variance
just "legalizes" the issue. The local building authority would have a
record of such a variance if it existed. Its something to check.

I've seen stranger things scrimped to save a few bucks in tract housing.

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

"HeyBub" wrote in message
I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second
floor, is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this
fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

Any advice is welcome. I am supposed to close on Wednesday of next
week (June 28).

Rebecca

Huh? The purpose of the 18" requirement is to minimize the ignition of
heavier-than-air hazardous fumes -- such as gasoline or natural gas -- by
the flames from a gas water heater. Now assuming someone refuels their

lawn
mower in an upstairs bedroom, wouldn't the fumes travel down the stairs
before reaching the water heater?

DING-DING-DING-DING, we have a winner! The reason for a WH stand is to
keep the pilot (which is at the BOTTOM of the WH) above any gas vapors.
This elevation will prevent ignition of said vapors. Look at a furnace, the
flames are usually about 12-18 inches up.

Your inspector is not the sharpest tack in the box, you ask me.

DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING, we REALLY have a winner! most home
inspectors don't have a clue why the 'rules' are the way they are. The
inspector just fills out a form and collects money.

Posted to alt.home.repair
chicagofan

Steve Barker LT wrote:

the 18 inch rule only applies to a garage installation. Per the 2000 IRC.

Well, that's a relief! I live in Gwinnett Co., GA, and I just had a new
water heater installed, which is *sitting on the floor* of the unfinished
regular sized room next to my garage. There is no room between floor and
heater which kind of bothered me. :\
bj

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT

The HWH is placed on concrete blocks set upright. They
are exactly 18 inches.

MaryL

Concrete blocks are a nominal 16 inches, and to allow for the mortar joint,
they are actually built 15 5/8 inches in length.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
MaryL

"DT" wrote in message
The HWH is placed on concrete blocks set upright. They
are exactly 18 inches.

MaryL

Concrete blocks are a nominal 16 inches, and to allow for the mortar
joint,
they are actually built 15 5/8 inches in length.

--
Dennis

You made me curious, so I just checked...and you're right. So, my HWH is
sitting on four upright concrete blocks, and I now know it is *almost* 18"
(despite what the plumber told me).

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair
tmurf.1

DT wrote:
The HWH is placed on concrete blocks set upright. They
are exactly 18 inches.

MaryL

Concrete blocks are a nominal 16 inches, and to allow for the mortar joint,
they are actually built 15 5/8 inches in length.

--
Dennis

Just call your local building inspector for your town and ask. I
think it just applies to garages.