Posted to alt.home.repair

Default heater inspection

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 21:46:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/8/2017 8:58 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

No it's not misinformation. Anybody who's ever replaced a heater core on GM vehicles that
I know of, know that the core has an inlet and outlet and no valves restricting flow.
It's the job of the mixer door to adjust heat in the cabin. There are some vehicles that
have heater water valves, but I haven't worked on them.
And their is no "extra" heat.
Engine designers can't eliminate waste heat until they design one that's 100% efficient.

It has been probably 40 years since I played with heater cores, but I do
know there was a valve in the line to stop the flow. Maybe thing have
changed?

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...hard-zeppetini

Google heater core valve and then click on images.

This is GM specific
https://www.google.com/search?q=heat...w=1366&bih=638

To the best of my knowlege Chrysler hasn't used one since the late
seventies.Mabee as early as 1972.
I have not had one on any of my fords since 1995. I think there was
one on my1989 Aerostar - cannot remember that far ago. Just do a
search trying to buy one for any late model car - particularly with AC
(what car doesn't today) and see if you can find a part number ----- I
tried Chrysler and only found the one for a 1971 (chtysler 300 and
about 15 other models, all using the same part)