Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Riding mower won't start

Hey folks..
I own a 2014 Troy Bilt Bronco riding mower, 17.5 hp Kohler engine w/42" deck. I have had nothing but problems from it! This time it won't start, or I should say won't stay running, if I spray starting fluid in the carb, it'll start, then stall seconds later and won't start again without another shot of starting fluid.

This mower was bought new in 2014! the thing has been broke down more than its been used! I used it the first summer, had problems then, and they sent another one. Cut the grass once last yr and the belt broke! it would run but not move. Because I'm disabled I couldn't fix it until this past weekend, so it sat all last yr!

However, I have never left gas in it over the winter......almost did! luckily we had a mild winter because I had forgot and didn't let it run out until like Nov last yr...at that point, I started it and let it run until it ran out of gas.
We got the belt on this weekend ! NOT FUN! but now it'll only start with a shot of starting fluid in the carb, and only stays running until it is burned off....
I'm hoping its the gas filter, its got a bunch of gunk in it, but when I remove the gas line, gas passes threw, maybe that gunk all clogs the filters screen under pressure? ...I can't find it locally, but thinking as long as the specs match I could find one that would work.
Any other ideas on the problem? sure hope it isn't the carb! this new it shouldn't be.....Thanks for any help!
PS..replaced the Fuel filter, no luck..but I notice the carb is dry, but there's gas in the filter, though that may just be gravity?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 14:35:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Loosen the gas tank cap and see if it runs. The gas tank could have a
vacuum lock. Remove the air filter also. Come back and say what you
did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

... ' nuff said. Methinks.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2017 5:15 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I can just about guarantee you the carb is gunked up from evaporated
gas . If he's lucky and it's the right type of carb , it'll be just the
float needle and the jet at the bottom of the bowl .

To the OP - the following applies if you have a horizontal draft
carb similar to the one on my Kohler KT17 opposed twin cylinder . Undo
the bolt that holds the float bowl to the bottom of the carb and look
for gunk in the bottom of the bowl . If there's any , clean it with some
lacquer thinner (careful , that stuff can eat plastic/rubber parts) .
Also pull the float pivot pin and remove the float and needle , clean
the needle and the seat . Next is the main jet , it's in the part the
bowl retainer bolt screws in/on to , or possibly incorporated into the
retaining nut . Clean that too . This should get you running , but it
may surge at idle . I use B-12 Chemtool carb cleaner in the gas to try
to get that idle jet unclogged , sometimes it even works ...

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Should have said that I removed the gas cap and air filter, googled it and tried the stuff I found before posting lol
Waiting on a buddy to check the bowl and needle now, he said the same thing before I saw this....thinking that's it

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You've got gunk in the carb. Did you use etanol gas? If so likely has
a case of "greenies" Perhaps the float valve is stuck. Check the float
bowl drain - or mabee just rap the carb with a big screwdriver handle
a few times - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's what my buddy and I think...I've traced gas from tank to carb, got gas until it reaches the carb. Carb is bone dry, and no gas dripping in when it starts....(have to use starting fluid ) stalls as soon as the starting fluid burns off.

Thing is this doesn't have a normal carb bowl, it had a small electronic part on the bottom? With a green connection that just hangs there? It looks like it should plug into something, but I can't see where...going to check diagrams now....thanks people, y'all rock!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nope, regular gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm hoping, the engine sounds strong, for the little it stays running lol
And I ran the thing dry at this he end of season, the two winters I've owned it, even used Gum Out while letting it run for like 20 mins.
This is what surprises me, it ran great back in Nov, could have been Dec....forgot and did it late, but the winter was very mild here in the DC area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2017 2:35 PM, wrote:
Hey folks..
I own a 2014 Troy Bilt Bronco riding mower, {snip}

Own? You are disillusioned, little man.
Your only using it for the time you are here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Jun 2017 05:43:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Nope, regular gas.

Regular gas with ethanol can cause all kind of problems. Up here I run
Shell Premium in all my small engines as it does NOT have ethanol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I might have found the problem, damn kindle crashed while reading the repair manual just as I found what I was looking for lol kinda how my days go!!!
But this thing has something one the bottom of the carb bowl, looked it up and its an after fire something..that's when it crashed! But I clearly saw the green Ground ground wire plugs into the connector, noticed last night it was hanging!!! This is what gives it gas when running, saw that much before it crashed also! Thing must have gotten knocked off while replacing the belts!
From now on, no beer until we finish lol Kinda raining spitting rain here, and with my back I can't flip this thing, but will when help arrives.... This has gotta be the problem!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just posted what I hope is the problem....I'll post back once I can get at!! Man its frustrating knowing how to do something in your mind or needing to...and your body says NO! At least I'm here to give it what I can! Peace
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gotta shell around the corner, I'll check on that, good thing is its daily new with really low hours lol I was to sick to repair it last year, but ran it, and ran cleaner through it as I ran it dry last yr, looks clean, but there's a lot I can't see...
thanks for the help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fairly new lol
Posted to alt.home.repair

Troy Bilt calls it a after fire solenoid..basically keeps it from backfiring if I am understand it correctly. I could see a ground wire hanging, we must have knocked it loose replacing the belt lol
Can't make the fix until my buddy helps flip it, but hopefully that's the last problem!
Thanks for the help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

A new one? Brother I live on 1100 a month! This thing hasn't got 50 hours on it! Didn't use it but once last yr before the belt broke, in was only used from late July thru Sept the yr before.... So it was used for a season and a half!
I know we are a throw away society but C'mon man!
Posted to alt.home.repair

That be it! And looks like its back to the carb being clogged...seems that green connector just sits there, it must be connected, and I just cant see it,its in a real tight spot of course.
But from what I can see it looks more like that it may pigtail out of the connection.

Diagram doesn't show that, but from talking to Troy Bilt they said some of the motors do have wires that do not connect....they were checking into mine, but never called back, guessing in the am.
Gotta figure out how to remove that carb bowl....guessing I can't clean what's stuck or clogged in that carb without removing? Can I get to the needle? The after fire solenoid throws me off....
Thanks... Peace
Posted to alt.home.repair

So if I bought a Troy Bilt elsewhere, it would run better...yeah, OK bro lol
Posted to alt.home.repair

What do you think of bypassing it? And thinking back the thing backfired once, scared the **** outta me lol
Possible it went bad? Going to start taking it apart to clean carb and needle, if its got one?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

The Honda mower has a fuel shut off valve to easily run dry at end of
season. My generator has one too but not my snow thrower. Shut off
valve probably only costs 25 cents for manufacturer to add to machine
but save owner a lot of fuel headaches.

For a generator you may want to test run every couple of weeks a fuel
shut off is good. For the Snow blower and other engines that may not be
ran for 6 months or more, it is best to do like my garden tiller, let it
run totally out of gas. I have a very small garden and only use the
tiller about 2 or 3 times at the start of the season, it will sit for
about 11 months. I just let it run empty. Burns up, what, less than a
dollars woth of gas. Every year, with fresh gas (I even use the ethanol
free and add Satbil) it starts with one or at the most 2 pulls of the
rope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/8/2017 10:17 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

Threads like this remind me to check generator and I did so yesterday.

I also had a quart mason jar about 1/3 full with 2 cycle oil, ethanol
containing gas and Stabil about 2 years old and tried it in my gas
powered weed wacker and it worked fine.

I knew stabilized gas in sealed containers is good for 2 years and I
save such then use in cars, and refill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Damn and I was thing my next might be a John, BUT, I gotta own my part in these problems, I didn't keep the engine very clean, I WS shocked at the grudge I cleaned off the outside of the carb, and the gunk in the bowl on this new and low hour machine.

I won't be using cheap gas again, using up the last to clean the carb and parts along with better maintenance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 12:33:17 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

to be pretty good stuff. Now it's just another MTD brand -They make
some fairly high end stuff, and they make total junk - all with the
same brand names. Generally the big box stores only carry the "price
point" junk - which you CAN also buy from a lawn equipment shop.

I made a major mistake about 10 years ago. Bought a John Deere mower
from a dealer. Lowes had the same modle. Found out later that was a
piece of junk and the transaxel would wear out after about 300 to 400
hours as mine did. This was for only home usage. About 1.5 acers to
mow . Totally turned me against Deere.

Looks like the 'big names' would not sell the junk at the dealer. Gives
them a bad reputation.

The dealers had to start selling the price-point "junk" because
customers price-shopped. If nobody bought the useless crap, the
companies wouldn't build it - which is why high quality stuff is
basically not available in North America any more. Nobody wants to pay
the price - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know, my pop loved em, but thats going back years. I haven't been happy at all with it, but like I said in another post, I played a part in that by not being able to clean it properly. I'll give em this, their customer service is top notch, lifetime tech support? Not many companies do that anymore.