Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Riding mower won't start

In article , "frank says...

The Honda mower has a fuel shut off valve to easily run dry at end of
season. My generator has one too but not my snow thrower. Shut off
valve probably only costs 25 cents for manufacturer to add to machine
but save owner a lot of fuel headaches.

For a generator you may want to test run every couple of weeks a fuel
shut off is good. For the Snow blower and other engines that may not be
ran for 6 months or more, it is best to do like my garden tiller, let it
run totally out of gas. I have a very small garden and only use the
tiller about 2 or 3 times at the start of the season, it will sit for
about 11 months. I just let it run empty. Burns up, what, less than a
dollars woth of gas. Every year, with fresh gas (I even use the ethanol
free and add Satbil) it starts with one or at the most 2 pulls of the
rope.