Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Melting Bar Soap?

I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/21/2017 08:11 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Reuse-Your-Old-Soap/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 09:11:50 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

You could always just toss the small pieces into your clothes washer and use an appropriately smaller amount of
laundry detergent like remember my mother doing many years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

On 4/21/2017 6:11 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

Sounds to me like you got too much time on yer hands, Pete.
Get a ****ing job; you're being around all day is really ****ing off the
wife.
LOL

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.home.repair,alt.slack

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 07:24:38 -0700, "fake vet Colon Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

On 4/21/2017 6:11 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

Sounds to me like you got too much time on yer hands, Pete.
Get a ****ing job; you're being around all day is really ****ing off the
wife.
LOL

The cheap jew ******* just can't bring himself to buy a new bar of
soap.

BTW it's 'your' not 'you're', you illiterate moulie.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

Per Colonel Edmund J. Burke:
Sounds to me like you got too much time on yer hands,

Guilty as charged...
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 9:12:00 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

I use glycerine soap. When it gets small I get out a new bar and stick
the old fragment down to it with some suds.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in news41kfc5b4achekatlv5q5sa329hesn50iq@
4ax.com:

I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

Yes, but it's WAY more work than it's worth. Did it once, never again. It takes hours. What's a
bar of soap cost, fifty cents? Just throw them out. Then, next time you have a bar worn down
to a sliver, and unwrap a new bar, get both of them good and wet and press the sliver onto
the new bar and keep using it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/17 1:52 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in news41kfc5b4achekatlv5q5sa329hesn50iq@
4ax.com:

I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

Yes, but it's WAY more work than it's worth. Did it once, never again. It takes hours. What's a
bar of soap cost, fifty cents? Just throw them out. Then, next time you have a bar worn down
to a sliver, and unwrap a new bar, get both of them good and wet and press the sliver onto
the new bar and keep using it.

Works with most bar soaps- but not with Dove brand though.

--
The left knows the answer is gun control; they just don't know what the
question is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 11:44:22 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I use glycerine soap. When it gets small I get out a new bar and stick
the old fragment down to it with some suds.

Cindy Hamilton

Same here but I do it with a bar of Dove soap. Theoretically,
are we using a 30 year old bar of soap?

:-))

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 9:55:59 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:

On 4/21/17 1:52 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

next time you have a bar worn down
to a sliver, and unwrap a new bar, get both of them good and wet and press the sliver onto the new bar and keep using it.

Works with most bar soaps- but not with Dove brand though.

Yes, it does. I've been doing this for many, many years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett wrote:

On 4/21/17 1:52 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
news41kfc5b4achekatlv5q5sa329hesn50iq@ 4ax.com:

I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

Yes, but it's WAY more work than it's worth. Did it once, never
again. It takes hours. What's a bar of soap cost, fifty cents? Just
throw them out. Then, next time you have a bar worn down to a
sliver, and unwrap a new bar, get both of them good and wet and
press the sliver onto the new bar and keep using it.

Works with most bar soaps- but not with Dove brand though.

Works with Dove White bar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett wrote:

On 4/21/17 1:52 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
news41kfc5b4achekatlv5q5sa329hesn50iq@ 4ax.com:

I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

Yes, but it's WAY more work than it's worth. Did it once, never
again. It takes hours. What's a bar of soap cost, fifty cents? Just
throw them out. Then, next time you have a bar worn down to a
sliver, and unwrap a new bar, get both of them good and wet and
press the sliver onto the new bar and keep using it.

Works with most bar soaps- but not with Dove brand though.

Works with Dove White bar.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the "Soap Saver" product which
is specifically designed for this problem. It's an envelope of the
rough type netting (multiple layers) with a draw-string and slip knob
closure into which you put the bar soap remnants and then you use it
to wash yourself. The remnants soon merge into one chunk to which you
can add new remnants as they become available. I haven't thrown out a
remnant since I got my first Soap Saver.

The downsides a

1) the netting is a little too rough for one's intimate parts but
seems to be good for legs, arms, shoulders and feet--in fact you feel
cleaner. Given this my wife refuses to use it on her "delicate" skin
(all her skin is delicate according to her) so she gives me all the
remnants. The same netting (but not the Soap Saver) is sold in places
like Sephora for general washing so I think the "delicate" problem is
in her imagination.

2) the netting joins together at the bottom but it's not well sewn
(probably not possible to improve) and the string frays easily,

3) the cost is about $1.99 at the dollar store (much more at the
Container Store).

I doubt you save money in the long term but you do avoid the
aggravation of trying to wash yourself with little slivers and you
have the psychic feeling of saving the planet (something like that) in
being economical.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 8:12:00 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?
--
Pete Cresswell

My wife did that a couple of times and I found the cooked/re-formed soap did not suds well. It works better to soak the sliver with a 3/4 used bar for a couple of hours, stick them together and let it dry overnight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 6:47:07 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in news:8c21dc01-84b9-41bf-b1af-
:

I've been doing this for many, many years.

You have too much time on your hands.

Takes but a minute or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per :
"Soap Saver"

That's the best one so far.

And my wife is a regular Dollar Store shopper... so I guess there is a
Soap Saver in my immediate future.

Thanks!
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 10:55:59 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 4/21/17 1:52 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in news41kfc5b4achekatlv5q5sa329hesn50iq@
4ax.com:

I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

Yes, but it's WAY more work than it's worth. Did it once, never again. It takes hours. What's a
bar of soap cost, fifty cents? Just throw them out. Then, next time you have a bar worn down
to a sliver, and unwrap a new bar, get both of them good and wet and press the sliver onto
the new bar and keep using it.

Works with most bar soaps- but not with Dove brand though.

In my experience, it works with Dove, but only under specific conditions:

The sliver from the old bar has to be soft, almost mushy, and the Dove
logo on the new bar has to be worn away.

I shave in the shower and Dove soap in my shaving "cream". When the Dove
bar is too small to conveniently use as a shower bar, it becomes my shaving
bar. By the time it is too small to use as a shaving bar, the logo is worn
off the new bar and the sliver is soft enough to stick.

I've been doing it that way for more years than I can remember.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 12:04:01 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The sliver from the old bar has to be soft, almost mushy, and the Dove
logo on the new bar has to be worn away.

Then new bar has to be rather soft as well and they will
stick together even if the Dove logo is still there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 6:19:09 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 12:04:01 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The sliver from the old bar has to be soft, almost mushy, and the Dove
logo on the new bar has to be worn away.

Then new bar has to be rather soft as well and they will
stick together even if the Dove logo is still there.

We'll have to share a shower sometime and compare our techniques. I find that
the sliver will indeed stick, but it tends to pop off at next usage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 5:50:28 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 6:19:09 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Then new bar has to be rather soft as well and they will
stick together even if the Dove logo is still there.

We'll have to share a shower sometime and compare our techniques. I find that
the sliver will indeed stick, but it tends to pop off at next usage.

Be sure and let both bars dry and don't be too vigorous when you
soap up the first 2 or 3 times so the sliver will stick to the
new bar.

I hope you have a nice large walk-in shower as I hate cracking
my elbows on the shower walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 8:47:25 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in
:

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 6:59:37 AM UTC-5, Doug Miller
wrote:

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in
news:c037cd33-c385-4a80-a2f1- :

wrote:

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in
:

I've been doing this for many, many years.

You have too much time on your hands.

Takes but a minute or two.

To melt a bunch of soap scraps? Riiight.

I'm just sticking two bars of soap together. I never
once mentioned I was melting anything nor a 'bunch.'
Reading comprehension is FUNdamental.

Clear writing is also fundamental to comprehension. You replied
that you had been doing "this" in a thread titled "Melting Bar
Soap" that also discussed sticking bars of soap together, and it's
far from clear which of the two practices you referred to.

The purpose of writing is not to be understood; rather, it is to
make it impossible to be misunderstood -- and you fall somewhat
short of meeting that criterion.

I first replied to Cindy's post about sticking a sliver and
a new bar together. You twisted it around to say I was melting
many slivers to make one bar which I never said I do. It's not
my fault you cannot keep up with what each of us is doing with
slivers of soap. Some are melting them, not me, some sticking
sliver and news bars together, myself and other here do this.
If this is getting you confused perhaps you'd better skip this
thread as it's messing with your mind.

Be forewarned, thread subjects tend to drift frequently as this
one did a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/23/2017 06:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 6:19:09 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 12:04:01 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The sliver from the old bar has to be soft, almost mushy, and the Dove
logo on the new bar has to be worn away.

Then new bar has to be rather soft as well and they will
stick together even if the Dove logo is still there.

We'll have to share a shower sometime and compare our techniques. I find that
the sliver will indeed stick, but it tends to pop off at next usage.

You old people are sooooo funny! Why do you still use bar soap and
suffer its associated soap dish mess? Did you know they make liquid soap
now?

https://www.amazon.com/Dial-Antibact.../dp/B000VA5X1U

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 5:03:04 AM UTC-4, millennial wrote:
On 04/23/2017 06:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 6:19:09 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 12:04:01 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The sliver from the old bar has to be soft, almost mushy, and the Dove
logo on the new bar has to be worn away.

Then new bar has to be rather soft as well and they will
stick together even if the Dove logo is still there.

We'll have to share a shower sometime and compare our techniques. I find that
the sliver will indeed stick, but it tends to pop off at next usage.

You old people are sooooo funny! Why do you still use bar soap and
suffer its associated soap dish mess? Did you know they make liquid soap
now?

https://www.amazon.com/Dial-Antibact.../dp/B000VA5X1U

Liquid soap is wasteful. People tend to use more of it than bar soap.
Waste is bad for the planet, Mr. Millennial.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 5:03:04 AM UTC-4, millennial wrote:
On 04/23/2017 06:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 6:19:09 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 12:04:01 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The sliver from the old bar has to be soft, almost mushy, and the Dove
logo on the new bar has to be worn away.

Then new bar has to be rather soft as well and they will
stick together even if the Dove logo is still there.

We'll have to share a shower sometime and compare our techniques. I find that
the sliver will indeed stick, but it tends to pop off at next usage.

You old people are sooooo funny! Why do you still use bar soap and
suffer its associated soap dish mess? Did you know they make liquid soap
now?

https://www.amazon.com/Dial-Antibact.../dp/B000VA5X1U

What is easier to manufacture and recycle...a cardboard box or a plastic bottle
with a pump?

What is the total cost to use bar soap vs. liquid soap?

All 4 of my millennials know which is the better option.

Are you really a millennial or just spoofing one?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2017 5:02 AM, millennial wrote:

You old people are sooooo funny! Why do you still use bar soap and
suffer its associated soap dish mess? Did you know they make liquid soap
now?

https://www.amazon.com/Dial-Antibact.../dp/B000VA5X1U

Tried it. Didn't like it. No soap dish mess either if you are careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:03:04 AM UTC-5, millennial wrote:
On 04/23/2017 06:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 6:19:09 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 12:04:01 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The sliver from the old bar has to be soft, almost mushy, and the Dove
logo on the new bar has to be worn away.

Then new bar has to be rather soft as well and they will
stick together even if the Dove logo is still there.

We'll have to share a shower sometime and compare our techniques. I find that
the sliver will indeed stick, but it tends to pop off at next usage.

You old people are sooooo funny! Why do you still use bar soap and
suffer its associated soap dish mess? Did you know they make liquid soap
now?

https://www.amazon.com/Dial-Antibact.../dp/B000VA5X1U

Just like a youngster who is/was educated in a government school. The Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks infested the education system of the country and turned out victims like you of The Dumbassification Of America. Anyone with any sense would know that "Liquid Hand Soap" is a little too harsh to wash your whole body with. Liquid hand soap is formulated to kill germs and remove grime from your hands! You use "Liquid Body Wash" to wash your whole body. I certainly wouldn't want to get liquid hand soap in my eyes or on any other sensitive body part. (˜‰_˜‰)

https://www.amazon.com/Dove-Body-Was.../dp/B00I69SGXK

https://www.amazon.com/Suave-Essenti.../dp/B00I6A6BTU

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Spice-Hig.../dp/B000SRK8KC

https://www.amazon.com/Suave-Essenti.../dp/B00ULKS5GU

[8~{} Uncle Dirty Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 19:39:51 GMT, "Tekkie®"
wrote:

On 24-Apr-2017, wrote:

Just like a youngster who is/was educated in a government school. The
Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks infested the education
system of the country and turned out victims like you of The
Dumbassification Of America. Anyone with any sense would know that "Liquid
Hand Soap" is a little too harsh to wash your whole body with. Liquid hand
soap is formulated to kill germs and remove grime from your hands! You use
"Liquid Body Wash" to wash your whole body. I certainly wouldn't want to
get liquid hand soap in my eyes or on any other sensitive body part.
(˜‰_˜‰)

https://www.amazon.com/Dove-Body-Was.../dp/B00I69SGXK

https://www.amazon.com/Suave-Essenti.../dp/B00I6A6BTU

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Spice-Hig.../dp/B000SRK8KC

https://www.amazon.com/Suave-Essenti.../dp/B00ULKS5GU

Hey Unc some of these fragrances seem wussy to me...

Yeah. Real men used Lye soap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/24/2017 09:31 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

The OP never specified what kind of bar soap they were trying to melt
together. Use whatever you like on your pussy, Uncle Snowflake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:19:48 PM UTC-4, millennial wrote:
[...]

millennial, my ass.

trollennial is a much better handle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 5:31:06 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 5:03:04 AM UTC-4, millennial wrote:

You old people are sooooo funny! Why do you still use bar soap and
suffer its associated soap dish mess? Did you know they make liquid soap
now?

https://www.amazon.com/Dial-Antibact.../dp/B000VA5X1U

Liquid soap is wasteful. People tend to use more of it than bar soap.
Waste is bad for the planet, Mr. Millennial.

Cindy Hamilton

Liquid soap IS wasteful and I simply hate the smell of those
anti-bacterial soaps. The scent seems to linger for hours or
maybe that's because I dislike it so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 6:50:58 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/24/2017 5:02 AM, millennial wrote:

You old people are sooooo funny! Why do you still use bar soap and
suffer its associated soap dish mess? Did you know they make liquid soap
now?

https://www.amazon.com/Dial-Antibact.../dp/B000VA5X1U

Tried it. Didn't like it. No soap dish mess either if you are careful.

I use those soap saver thingies that a bar of soap sits on while
in the soap dish. It allows water to drain away and letting the
bar dry out and not turn mushy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 3:19:48 PM UTC-5, millennial wrote:
[...]

I don't own a cat but I used special shampoo on my dog that was formulated for washing dogs. You silly git, I'm not a snowflake, I'm a monster you armature troll. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Snow Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 24-Apr-2017, wrote:

[...]

Don't prison inmates use Soap On A Rope in the showers so they don't drop their soap and have to bend over to pick it up? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Wary Monster

melting polystyrene fred[_8_] UK diy 8 November 18th 14 09:06 AM
Squirt-bottle (dilute Dawn soap) stopped working; soap clogged it? Removable? David Combs Home Repair 2 January 23rd 13 03:22 PM
Melting insulation? Lieutenant Scott UK diy 0 April 3rd 12 02:40 PM
Induction melting of steel - melting time calculation James H. Metalworking 1 December 18th 05 08:58 PM
melting Lead Colin Jacobs Metalworking 20 April 2nd 05 10:05 AM