Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James H.

Default Induction melting of steel - melting time calculation

Hi,

We're trying to size a small induction melting furnace (similar to those
used in the jewelry making industry) for our application and I was wondering
if anyone with some experience in this subject can help answer the following
question:

How long would it take to melt 3.5 lbs of 4140 Steel (2"Dia. x 4"L bar at
1500 deg. C, 7.8 g/cc) with a 10 KW medium frequency (10-30Khz) water-cooled
induction melting machine using the proper crucible (350 cc capacity)? Are
there any other factors missed here that would influence this calculation?

Thanks in advance,
James

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"James H." wrote in message
Hi,

We're trying to size a small induction melting furnace (similar to those
used in the jewelry making industry) for our application and I was

wondering
if anyone with some experience in this subject can help answer the

following
question:

How long would it take to melt 3.5 lbs of 4140 Steel (2"Dia. x 4"L bar at
1500 deg. C, 7.8 g/cc) with a 10 KW medium frequency (10-30Khz)

water-cooled
induction melting machine using the proper crucible (350 cc capacity)? Are
there any other factors missed here that would influence this calculation?

Thanks in advance,
James

The only thing I might be able to contribute is that the frequency you have
at your disposal is too low for efficient operation for such a light load.
You'd be far better served by a power supply in the 100Khz range, although
this might work if you melt only large, solid objects. You'd probably have
no luck starting with chips, or even small pieces.

Inductotherm published an article relating coreless induction furnace size
to frequency, upon which I'm basing my opinion. If you can't locate the
article (Foundry, September 1971), I have a reprint I'd be willing to scan
and forward. Contact me on the side if you're interested.

Harold