Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James H.

Default Induction melting of steel - melting time calculation

Hi,

We're trying to size a small induction melting furnace (similar to those
used in the jewelry making industry) for our application and I was wondering
if anyone with some experience in this subject can help answer the following
question:

How long would it take to melt 3.5 lbs of 4140 Steel (2"Dia. x 4"L bar at
1500 deg. C, 7.8 g/cc) with a 10 KW medium frequency (10-30Khz) water-cooled
induction melting machine using the proper crucible (350 cc capacity)? Are
there any other factors missed here that would influence this calculation?

Thanks in advance,
James